Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote:Game title makes me hungry as fuck, sounds like ROYALE W/ CHEEZE

Also, cute running animations! I may have to give this a look, I like the groundtype shumping and the Shikigamis too.
I think Alfa is bankin' on shmuppers being hungry for these royal gals m8. Every flavor (and cup size) is there! That's what I call covering your bases. :wink:

In case it gets lost on the last page:
EmperorIng wrote:What's the way to trigger the treasure chests? Is it based on standing in a specific spot and attacking/using a familiar?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

EmperorIng wrote:What's the way to trigger the treasure chests? Is it based on standing in a specific spot and attacking/using a familiar?
You can hit them with any form of attack to make them spew coins. The problem with Sonay's familiar is that it ignores the chests since they're classed as an obstacle, not an enemy. It should be noted that the chests only appear in Hard mode (they're just a part of the map, don't need to be revealed or anything).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ooooh, stupid me, I thought they were like the fairies and had to be revealed. I'll work on a Normal clear before I put in the work for Hard mode!
geremy

Post by geremy »

Well I just bought it (woo Nintendo gold coins!) and I freaking love this game! Up there with the best Switch shmups for me!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

So great to see new players enjoying this one! I was worried it had already fallen into obscurity, but seeing this thread creeping back up to the top always inspires me to go back and give it another run. In a time where we mainly feed off of re-releases or ports of older arcade games, I have to pause and be thankful for new games like this one and Pawarumi.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Oddly enough, SR may be a covert maker. My Fortnite-obsessed 13-year-old nephew who usually has zero patience for any "old-style" games (he finds Pac-Man "annoying") was having a ball with it the other night. And it wasn't just because of the cans (he is 13 after all) as he was't displaying the same enthusiasm for Tengai.

No, he seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself and gave it "just one more try" about 38 times. I think the thing is SR doesn't seem like it's trying corner and kill you as quickly as possible in oder to get another quarter. It allows you to feel powerful and cause wanton destruction (which is appealing to 13 year olds of all ages) before eventually overwhelming you.

It does seem weird to me that a title that's so haphazard in so many areas could be a convert maker. But I guess production values (or big cans) ain' t everything?
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Thats the secret. Wanton destruction never gets old.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Coming to, uh, the Microsoft Store in July.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Well... glad it’s coming to PC?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

CStarFlare wrote:Well... glad it’s coming to PC?
Well, from the Gematsu article...yes.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/sisters ... es-july-10
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A bump to say that it took waaaaaay too long, but I finally made a score thread for the game. Please post your scores here, I wanna see some activity! Plus, I'm sure you guys wanna score with some of these sisters... Uh, right? Right??

Score Thread

I got a new best not too long ago using Nur... was sooo close to beating Lale's boss fight. I really want to break through to Ece's stage and the final - I did credit feed to finally see what the last boss was like and it looks to be a pretty tricky gauntlet.

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Thank you for getting the score topic setup.
EmperorIng wrote:I did credit feed to finally see what the last boss was like and it looks to be a pretty tricky gauntlet.
The last gauntlet is where most of my practice has been. There 3 life 5 bomb maximum becomes a pretty big deal here, as I couldn't just horde a bunch of resources and buffalo it.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Headed to XB1 later this week.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm starting to understand how important it is to be aware of your life maximum. There are several runs where I've lost an extend because I already had 3 lives so the extra just goes away. I don't know yet if there is some type of score bonus or boost for exceeding the lives count.

cj iwakura pointed it out, but it's worth mentioning that the DLC character (who's only $3.00!) is actually Fumiko from Castle Shikigami. Or rather, a 'vessel' created by her sent into an alternate world to eliminate the game's villain. Dressed the same, plays the same, same attitude... it's a lovely little touch. I held off on the DLC cuz I thought I'd be gipped, but once I saw how cheap it was (with a $12.00 game), I didn't mind adding the Shiki rep to the cast.

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ode is a lot of fun and totally worth the price, if perhaps a bit OP. She gets to just fly over the ice, and her special just decimates bosses as you can always queue up one to target them as each life-bar section activates.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

not affected by ice?!? That's well worth the price of admission right there, hot damn. I'm no good at Fumiko's play style so I didn't get past Sonay's boss fight, but knowing that gives me the motivation to press on. :mrgreen:
CaptainAhab

Post by CaptainAhab »

BulletMagnet wrote:Headed to XB1 later this week.
Woohoo, my preferred platform! Day one purchase. :mrgreen:
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

While its coming to X1 soon, its also a play anywhere title, so you can play it both on the X1 and Windows Store (PC, not steam though, sadly).
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Got the XB1 port.

How i can get rank SSS in the game?, I made a no-death run with Sonay in Normal and all what I've got was Rank S.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You're probably not getting enough coins, killing enough enemies at x8, or uncovering fairies (which is harder to do with Sonay as I recall) which let you get up to x16 on enemies. I haven't cleared stage 4, yet I get SSS rankings on my runs. Try grazing a bullet as you unleash her familiar to rack up some easy coins!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Spoiler
I think each character has a different threshold for the ranks. Note that Selma has higher score than Ece (also more x8 and coins, both are all clears), but Ece has a higher rank.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
viper_phase1

Post by viper_phase1 »

Finally cleared on Normal with Nur!

I still haven't figured out how to avoid Yashin's second pattern without using a bomb, and I have trouble with Seytan's second and third patterns also.

I haven't tried very much of Hard difficulty yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Awesome job! If you want, post your score to the score thread, as it is in desperate need of non-Sonay scores!

I'm working my way to the clear now, having got to Yashin's first form on my best run. Honestly, Yashin's first form (and that second pattern, I agree) seems more dangerous than Seytan. I think if I can clear that last hurdle, I should get the 1cc.

I'm looking forward to getting into Hard mode once I lock down Nur's clear. The extra revenge bullets mean it's easier to get x8 coins from enemies, and the extra boss attacks should spice things up nicely.
viper_phase1

Post by viper_phase1 »

Thank you! I'll post my score, even though it isn't especially impressive.

Good luck on your clear! You'll get it soon!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Wanted to bump this thread to ask if anyone was playing on PC? I've been unable to get it to recognize my keyboard, and I'd really prefer to play that way. I don't see anything in the listing that says it's controller only, but it seems that way to me. I even tried uninstalling and making sure my 360 controller was unplugged, but of course the Windows Store syncs my old settings when I redownload so who knows if that was ever going to solve anything. :roll:
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I didn't even realize that there was a Microsoft Store version.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Huh, I think you're right, CSF - I'm playing the PC version too, and hadn't noticed since I've been using a stick, but it seems the keyboard buttons are essentially disabled, or not mapped to anything. I can still close the game with alt+F4, but that's it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So the word just came out that Sisters Royale is headed to steam! This is great news for those that use the platform. That makes Switch, PS4, Windows Store, and Steam as available platforms, with Switch and PS4 having physical editions.

I have the game on Switch, but I recently broke down and double-dipped on the Windows Store ver not knowing it'd come to steam. At the very least this means I can start recording my runs and uploading some footage to youtube, which is still fairly scant.

This game is really excellent people! Take the time to give it a go whether on console or pc; it's one of the best new shmup releases in a while.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

EmperorIng wrote:So the word just came out that Sisters Royale is headed to steam! This is great news for those that use the platform. That makes Switch, PS4, Windows Store, and Steam as available platforms, with Switch and PS4 having physical editions.

I have the game on Switch, but I recently broke down and double-dipped on the Windows Store ver not knowing it'd come to steam. At the very least this means I can start recording my runs and uploading some footage to youtube, which is still fairly scant.

This game is really excellent people! Take the time to give it a go whether on console or pc; it's one of the best new shmup releases in a while.
That is awesome news. Love to see more people get access, and also love to see Alfa get a nice return on the game. I'd love to see a sequel. I had bought it digitally on Switch when it came out, and then went for the PS4 import as I just had to have a physical copy of it.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

EmperorIng wrote:So the word just came out that Sisters Royale is headed to steam! This is great news for those that use the platform. That makes Switch, PS4, Windows Store, and Steam as available platforms, with Switch and PS4 having physical editions.

That's awesome, I was holding out hoping this would happen. Where did you see this news btw?

Edit: So apparently this was announced 3 days ago but barely any sites picked up on it, no one on twatter is talking about it, no western outlets reported it, etc. How weird. I literally would not have known if EmperorIng didn't post about it here.
https://twitter.com/ChorusWorld/status/ ... 7862865920
https://www.4gamer.net/games/517/G051788/20201012066/
https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2020/10/12/102904.html