Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NeoStrayCat

Re: Sisters Royal: Switch / PS4 / PC

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Nice, but yeah, very stealthy mentions here and there, and will wait on the PC/Steam release.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

But will it have DRM?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

iconoclast wrote:But will it have DRM?
More importantly, will it let us use the keyboard this time?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Yoshinoya

Post by Yoshinoya »

I just got the Physical Switch version, I have been a fan of Shikigami 2, looking forward to the similarities!
- I'll buy that for a Dollar! -
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I just noticed that I am missing a trophy for finding all of the hidden fairy locations. There's likely one that I routed around and just never ran into. Is there documentation of these anywhere or perhaps a video that shows them all?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Check out Iconoclast's world record video with Nur on youtube. He reveals all the fairies. There are three in each stage: 1 before the midboss, 1 after the midboss, and one at the boss arena.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

There's a steam page and release date of November 28th now. :D

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133 ... nder_Fire/
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Does anyone have this game on PS4? Can they do me a favor? I'm trying to find out what the top scores of the characters on the leaderboards of the PS4 release are. Switch, PC/Xbone, and PS4 all have global leaderboards, but they are not cross-platform, which makes comparing scores difficult.

I want to know specifically if someone has a higher score with Sonay on Normal than I got last night (3,521,305,640). Selfish I know, but a man's gotta know what his competition is!

I'm hoping some more people jump onto this once it gets released on Steam in appx 2 weeks.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was lurking yesterday and caught part of your streamed run. You're an absolute beast at the game! Are you aiming for top place with the rest of the characters too?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for tuning in! I had an almost perfect run last night and it was great to have a small crowd watching.

Answer: I can't hope to top Iconoclast or Mishi (twitch: Mishiman90, he was watching too) with their respective characters (Nur and Ode), which is funny because I consider Nur my 'main.' Iconoclast has the highest score overall in the game for both Normal and Hard Mode, and Mishi is right behind him on Normal. They've pushed the game to some pretty spectacular heights. The game has a lot of resources for survival, but scoring is where it gets really fun.

I am going to try and get the top score with at least one other character, Ece, who seems to be pretty underplayed based on the leaderboards. She at least has some minor scoring potential (probably around the character I played last night, Sonay) - with both possibly being able to break 4 billion for their own leaderboards.

I do want to eventually put some time getting a couple of 1cc's in Hard Mode, since it offers up a unique challenge and entirely different routes thanks to the suicide bullets, treasure chests, and extra phases on boss fights. It's pretty tough too!
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

EmperorIng wrote:I'm hoping some more people jump onto this once it gets released on Steam in appx 2 weeks.
I'm waiting for my PS4 physical copy from Strictly Limited before diving in. I'm probably not the only one. Should be with me in the next few weeks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

One week away from the Steam release! I've been half-toying with putting together a few thoughts for a mini video review with all the footage I've accumulated. Like anything else, the idea is nice but talk is cheap! The basic gist is you all should pick up this game when it does come out. Lots of love is poured into the game, even if its terrible, typo-laden google translate- translation doesn't show it.

Currently most of the top scores for this Japanese shmup are held by western players, which I think is a rarity. Either Japan was turned off by its coombait artstyle and mobile game graphics (when has that... ever stopped Japanese gamers??) or there aren't any Shikigami no Shiro fans left in Japan... Perish the thought! I've joked elsewhere that the only way to get Japanese gamers to care is if this were punted on to EXA. The game is remarkable in how arcade it is - no attempt at some console-fied mode, just a straight up 5 stage gauntlet, 30 minutes. Stage practice and extra features to give some silly variety to the game (like increasing the size of enemy bullets by like 300%). Hard Mode itself is a whole new game to learn, with the extra enemy bullets, bonus treasure chests, suicide bullets, and boss phases making your Normal routes non-viable.

As far as I can tell the top scores for Normal in this game are:
Sonay: EmperorIng 8)
Selma: EDIT: Mishiman90 (for now!)
Ece: EmperorIng 8) 8)
Nur: Iconoclast
Lale: MishiMan90
Ode: MishiMan90

With Iconoclast having the highest score on both Normal and Hard (way to be, d00d).

I need to take a look into Selma's top scores; I've ignored her for the most part because of the difficulty in controlling her familiar.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Picked up the PS4 version a few months back on you and iconoclast's recs, as these things often go I loved what I saw but got distracted by something shiny - will be glad to have that review to reference. :mrgreen:

It's good to see Shikigami continue on in spirit if not name. Those character select screens (and individual scoreboards!) full of diverse weapon types always suggested a substantial game, this one's no different.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Steam release date was pushed up to 11/26... so less than a day now.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Aight it's out. All 1.5 of you interested may now rush to buy it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Mishi has noted something with the recent steam release: the game currently runs with an uncapped framerate, meaning (as I understand it) that if your system can push past 60fps for the application, it will. This means that the player will move up to twice as fast while the bullets move normally (as one player has reported). You need to force the game to cap itself at 60fps to have it run properly. This is easy enough to do through your video card or whatnot, but it is something that should be patched ASAP, especially seeing as this is not an issue on the PC version from the Microsoft Store (that I primarily play on). There may be some issues with the text displays being upside down depending on which direction your rotate the screen from the TATE options, based on one steam thread.

But yeah, do that and you are good to go! None of the slowdown of the Switch original (though that hasn't stopped some people from getting huge scores on the Switch version), which makes for a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Mishi and I are currently 'racing' to see who can be the first player to crack 5 billion with the character Selma on Normal mode. He's ahead right now, but I might be able to pull this off...

As a reminder, the score thread is here:
Sisters Royale High Scores
BIL wrote: It's good to see Shikigami continue on in spirit if not name. Those character select screens (and individual scoreboards!) full of diverse weapon types always suggested a substantial game, this one's no different.
Yeah, I always love shmups with lots of unique character playstyles (hello Psikyo), and this game has a substantial pedigree behind its cutesy, dumb anime exterior. The fact that the practice mode (while sadly lacking boss practice!) has parameters to let you measure your scoring potential in a real run shows that these guys still know and love the genre.
clippa

Post by clippa »

EmperorIng wrote:the game currently runs with an uncapped framerate
It runs vsynced to your monitors refresh rate. I started a thread on the steam forums. I don't know if the devs check there though.

The way they've handled the button remapping doesn't inspire me with confidence that they're gonna be on top of patching things like this.

Really enjoying the game! I haven't had a chance to play it much, but I'd heard so many conflicting reviews of the switch version, it was nice to finally get it in my hands and make up my own mind. It's really good fun.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Torn about whether to get this on Switch or PS4. Don't love the controllers for either. I need to get an adapter so I can use my PS2 Saturn controller on the PS4. If that would work out, my decision would be easy.
professor ganson

Decided to go ahead with Switch because there were a couple other things I just had to get while I was at the Nintendo store-- Shiren: Tower of Fortune and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Switch version is still solid and I still clock hours on it! Hope you can put up a score or two on the leaderboards :wink:
professor ganson

EmperorIng wrote:Hope you can put up a score or two on the leaderboards :wink:
Very limited skills and time make that highly unlikely. Even with Shiki 2, the Alfa System game to which I devoted a fair amount of time, I fell just short of 1cc-ing the game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

professor ganson wrote:Even with Shiki 2, the Alfa System game to which I devoted a fair amount of time, I fell just short of 1cc-ing the game.
I can definitely relate, given the hours I've put into RayForce/RayCrisis and still have not cleared the game (I've gotten close on both counts though).

My latest 1cc of Sisters Royale saw me get a pretty good score, AND I died 11 times! So the game is extremely forgiving. It is also modeled specifically on Shikigami 2, so you'll feel at home.
Spoiler
professor ganson

EmperorIng wrote: It is also modeled specifically on Shikigami 2, so you'll feel at home.
That’s great to hear. Shiki 2 is an all-time favorite.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Wasn't sure if it'd merit its own thread, so I'll note here that Alfa System has been bought up.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

BulletMagnet wrote:Wasn't sure if it'd merit its own thread, so I'll note here that Alfa System has been bought up.
Likely a good thing for them. Sister's Royale seems have been a decent-sized hit for them, and getting a cash injection from the acquisition will hopefully sustain them for several years to come no matter what they put out. I definitely wouldn't mind Sister's Royale: Too Man Too Curious.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Mishi

Post by Mishi »

BulletMagnet wrote:Wasn't sure if it'd merit its own thread, so I'll note here that Alfa System has been bought up.
Shiki 4 when?
Play Guilty Gear
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Late to the party, but I finally downloaded the game in anticipation of Shiki II's upcoming switch port. What can I say, I didn't expect to enjoy it this much. The mechanics are rock solid, and the nonsensical plot is weirdly entertaining.

Funnily enough, in Shiki II, Niigi GB is usually my go-to character, but in SR, I cannot get to grips with Lale for the life of me. So far I enjoy playing with Nur the most, but I seem to get the best results with Sonay. Bummer both Selma and Fumiko ..erm Ode are nototiously fiddly to handle. They have the best dialogue.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah it's great! I like it more than any of the Shiki games. Ode is pretty OP as she can fly over ice, so I view her as "easy mode" in a way.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Well, this is modeled quite closely after Shiki II, but there are a few things I do like better there. Sisters Royale gives the impression of being a little more claustrophobic, with less room to maneuver and denser bullet patterns. Also the characters seem to move a little more sluggishly than those in Shiki II. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I haven't played it since my tate-able CRT died.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Herr Schatten wrote:Well, this is modeled quite closely after Shiki II, but there are a few things I do like better there. Sisters Royale gives the impression of being a little more claustrophobic, with less room to maneuver and denser bullet patterns. Also the characters seem to move a little more sluggishly than those in Shiki II. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I haven't played it since my tate-able CRT died.
Personally I think a lot of the Sisters Royale coomer gals move more quickly than their Shiki 2 counterparts, for the -most- part. Though I am unfamiliar with Shiki 3, which might be a stronger comparison.

For example, Kim Daejong is a snail compared to his Sisters successor, Selma, but Kim Mihee, the Daejong stand-in in Shiki 3, seems to be similarly speedy.

The sluggish movement might be a result of the switch. I think the game runs slightly faster on PC, but then again I have 1cc'd on both platforms many times so it didn't end up mattering -too- much for me. I did all of my best records on PC though for recording purposes.

By the way, make sure you add some scores or post progress in the score thread!