Gunbird 2 coming to the Switch June 21st

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
steveovig

Gunbird 2 coming to the Switch June 21st

Post by steveovig »

Finally. Now we need Strikers III.
CRP

Re: Gunbird 2 coming to the Switch June 21st

Post by CRP »

edit: listed in eu store on 21st aswell now
Last edited by CRP on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Fantastic news, I’ve waiting for this coming out for a while now. Gunbird 2 is my favourite Psikyo shmup for sure.
FRO

Post by FRO »

One assumes the DC port will still be the best way to play, but I would double dip for this to keep these games coming. I always enjoyed Gunbird 2's absurdity and sense of humor.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Picked this up. Great port of the Arcade verson. In line with the rest of the Psikyo ports. Bring on Strikers 1999!
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
CRP

Post by CRP »

FRO wrote:One assumes the DC port will still be the best way to play
Why is the dc port best ?
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

I don’t know about gameplay, but maybe he is speaking about 240p Dreamcast output like the original PCB?
Working in the japanese language achievement
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The DC port does have an exclusive character (Morrigan) going for it.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
FRO

Post by FRO »

jandrogo wrote:I don’t know about gameplay, but maybe he is speaking about 240p Dreamcast output like the original PCB?
Shepardus wrote:The DC port does have an exclusive character (Morrigan) going for it.
Both of these are factors, yes.
CRP

Post by CRP »

ah i see thanks for reply's
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Ah yes, if when publisher Zero Div does the Strikers 1999/Strikers 1945 III port for the Switch, that'll be the day when the entire Strikers 1945 series is playable on the go (aside from the usual mobile phone gaming spectrum of the shmup hobby).

Just need one of those handy upcoming "Flip Grips" installed on the ol' Switch to be able to play such a tate'd Switch shmup on the go properly (with a tentative November 2018 release date with Kickbacker funding effort). As of right now, I just use a Hori Switch stand and tate the Switch unit to play 'em tate'd shmup titles -- still better than nothing, right? The other proper method of hooking up a Switch to a 16:10 aspect ratio based PC monitor with HDMI input and tate it along with a proper Switch arcade stick setup at it's best.

The old school arcade gamers (like myself) are going to bring up the fact that with the classic Psikyo arcade pcbs, the only real way to play 'em properly with 240p on a dedicated 15.7kHz CGA arcade monitor (with 'em proper scan lines & all) + a Japanese candy cab setup would be considered the "gold standard" (but with this particular setup, it ain't portable whatsoever & thus remains as a solitary or co-op gaming experience at best). Playing 'em Psikyo classic arcade STGs in Mame would come in a close second (but that's an entirely different affair & really doesn't replicate the experience of dealing wtih real arcade PCBs and the associated hardware necessary to run 'em properly in the end). So it all comes down to if one has the proper monetary funds to pursue the traditional arcade PCB route (very expensive nowadays if one is just trying to enter the arcade PCB hobby getting their toes wet for the very first time delving into it), Mame, smart phone route or in this case, going the portable gaming route with a Switch setup.

----------------
Yeah, it would've been nice of Psikyo did release Gunbird 3 instead of Dragon Blaze as it's final arcade PCB swan song release back in 2000 but it wasn't meant to be. With GB3, expect the usual new character introductions + another new-fangled gameplay mechanic thrown in for good measure (the usual formula staples of any solid/good Psikyo arcade STG pcb back in the day) + and even more crazier/zany over-arching storylines, indeed, with the various myriad of GB characters. Perhaps sporting a new three button combo deal/setup to spice things up even more (of course, this would've been a dramatic departure from the traditional Psikyo arcade releases with it's "tried-n-true" 8-way digital joystick + 2-button scheme per player setup of old)?
----------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: that'll be the day when the entire Strikers 1945 series is playable on the go (aside from the usual mobile phone gaming spectrum of the shmup hobby).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
these games will probably be re-released forever. But you know what? they're that good :!:

ps: hey man, i'm still waiting for you to power up your old android phone that has DodonPachi and Espgaluda 2 installed and see if you can share them with us :D
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

It looks very good with scanline filter activated,Im very satiesfied about the port.
I`m pleased to be able to play Gunbird 2,I did sell my DC years ago.
Except for Sol Devide I love the library of psykio shmups on switch.

I`m excited for Strikers 1999 & Space Bomber and hope it will be true!
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Gunbird 2 looks and feels great on the Switch, I suck at Psykio shumps though, some of the bullet patterns are tough.

I really, really hope Space Bomber comes out.
PAULINK

Post by PAULINK »

They removed Gunbird 2 from the US eshop... but it's still up on the Japanese store. Said F it, didn't want to wait and decided to buy a 1000 yen card, not going to wait a couple more months for them to re-release it like they did with gunbird 1.
Crayon

Post by Crayon »

PAULINK wrote:They removed Gunbird 2 from the US eshop... but it's still up on the Japanese store. Said F it, didn't want to wait and decided to buy a 1000 yen card, not going to wait a couple more months for them to re-release it like they did with gunbird 1.
Is the settings menu (for rotation, scan-lines, etc) manageable?

The lack of transparency in why this got pulled and how long it will take to come back is really frustrating.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Crayon wrote:
PAULINK wrote:They removed Gunbird 2 from the US eshop... but it's still up on the Japanese store. Said F it, didn't want to wait and decided to buy a 1000 yen card, not going to wait a couple more months for them to re-release it like they did with gunbird 1.
Is the settings menu (for rotation, scan-lines, etc) manageable?

The lack of transparency in why this got pulled and how long it will take to come back is really frustrating.
When I downloaded Gunbird 1 from the JP eShop, it was completely in English. NoA was just as stupid about that one when it got removed too, even though it did eventually come back.
Crayon

Post by Crayon »

BrianC wrote:When I downloaded Gunbird 1 from the JP eShop, it was completely in English.
Yeah you're right, I downloaded Gunbird 2 from the JP shop last night because I couldn't wait and it's completely in English. Very nice.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Do you have to change regions to access the games once downloaded from the JP eShop? Or do they just show up along side the others?

I'm think I might go the JP route as well instead of waiting months
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

kaiza wrote:Do you have to change regions to access the games once downloaded from the JP eShop? Or do they just show up along side the others?

I'm think I might go the JP route as well instead of waiting months
Anything you download on your Switch shows up in your consoles library and any user registered to your console can play any title.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Awesome, thank you!