tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mycophobia

Re: tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

Post by mycophobia »

it's beautiful. I'm so jealous
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

mycophobia wrote:it's beautiful
iplaymyshmups

Post by iplaymyshmups »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0W72V5FV8O ... 2ise2r2j48

I 1cc'd Tatsujin for PC Engine last year. Final score 1349460 :)
Keeping your games sealed is like keeping your ass sealed when you have to take a number 2. Not natural.

My Instagram: galvatron86
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Truxton and II are truly fine games. A long-time monument that you don't need bullet hell to make a challenging game.

I only have one question.

Where are the damn trucks!!!?
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

There was a recent stream with Tatsujin Co/Masahiro Yuge where he was asked where the name Truxton came from and he said it was this ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Truxtun_(DD-229)

e: this was mentioned last page as well, oops
MJR

Post by MJR »

Damnn.. I feel like booting up my Tatsujin PCB again <3
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

A phone port of Tatsujin got released recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13R_RFLSiuo

I played it a little. It's free to play with in-app purchases for stuff like starting with full power, unlocking difficulties, etc. Phone controls make speedups pointless. Graphics are vertically stretched. Music stutters.

The rights for Toaplan games for years were apparently so hard to get, and now they release this. I don't get it. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There was already a mobile Snow Bros. In some cases, I wonder if the companies publishing Android and iOS apps actually do have the rights.

Retro-bit is making repros of some toaplan games. I heard that their R-Type and Holy Diver PCBs don't have the same voltage issues as the Data East games. The JP and Asian Megadrive minis have Snow Bros and Slap Fight. Too bad the US Genesis mini had to have stuff like VF2 and Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle and the JP version oddly omits Castle of Illusion (but still has World of Illusion) and Sonic 1.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

mycophobia wrote:The rights for Toaplan games for years were apparently so hard to get, and now they release this. I don't get it. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.
I have the mobile port of Twin Cobra on my phone. It has been de-listed from the app stores, last I checked (which made me kind of excited, is Tatsujin Co enforcing their IP in preparation for a release?). These are very likely unlicensed Chinese/Korean hackjobs and I'm surprised they exist as long as they do on the storefronts.

e: someone should tweet Tatsujin Co with that video to find out if it's legit or not
GSK

Post by GSK »

mycophobia wrote:The rights for Toaplan games for years were apparently so hard to get, and now they release this. I don't get it. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.
Toaplan's catalogue has been consolidated by one of the old Toa guys, Masahiro Yuge, and his new company is responsible for the recent wave of Toa-related licensed products: the Clarice Disc soundtracks, the Toa games on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, the Game Tengoku Tatsujin DLC, etc. They were working on something for consoles at one point but I get the impression it's being shifted elsewhere.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

What makes me curious is what Yuge said towards the end of the Game Tengoku presentation during TGS'18 linked earlier, surprised this wasn't brought up here yet. :idea:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/313079792?t=01h35m35s
We are hoping that maybe we can bring back some more [titles] in the future. And, one more for you is that, we are actually working on something new right now.
OmegaFlareX wrote:e: someone should tweet Tatsujin Co with that video to find out if it's legit or not
It is, (un)fortunately. From the info gathered on that page, they seem to be very much interested in cooperation with developers.

Also, I'm quite excited about what they might be planning for the Exa Arcadia: https://exa.ac/ja/editors/tatsujin-2/

Definitely something to keep an eye on.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

6t8k wrote:It is, (un)fortunately.
Welp, so it is. I gave it a try and the stretched display is definitely bad but it's more fun to play than mobile Twin Cobra at least. The only problem I noticed with the sound is that it's too quiet.

Do they make styluses that attach to your finger? That would probably be the best way to do shmup touch controls. My finger/hand get in the way of incoming bullets/enemies. Wish the bomb was tap twice instead of a button in the corner. Also you can't stop firing with any weapon except Tatsujin Beam (blue), and then only if you don't move. Makes the lightbulbs in stage 2 trickier.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

I've given the mobile Truxton port a try myself. Gameplay-wise, it seems fine enough, though normal difficulty on it is easier than normal difficulty on the arcade version. I'll have to play it a bit more sometime. One thing I will say is that the fighter ship moving so precisely looks rather...unnatural.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Plays surprisingly good. Ok it's not the perfect port but very decent.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Hey, so I posted this over at A-P, but just swung by here to PM someone and saw this thread! Here's my post, but to add to the discussion, the game is pretty good so far!

So I won this auction a few months ago. It was a Tatsujin for about $210 USD delivered, but sold as "junk", or at least I thought. I figured, a cheaper game that looks like it mostly worked, maybe sound is out or something. I just remember the auction saying "junk" but showing a working screen. Here is the link.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 341269594​

Anyone speak Japanese? I had to use Google Translate and I'm not understanding what is wrong. The reason I'm asking is b/c I finally plugged in the PCB and played it for about 10 min with no issues that I could tell. I'd love to know what is wrong with the board if it's listed.

Thanks!
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

XtraSmiley wrote: Anyone speak Japanese? I had to use Google Translate and I'm not understanding what is wrong. The reason I'm asking is b/c I finally plugged in the PCB and played it for about 10 min with no issues that I could tell. I'd love to know what is wrong with the board if it's listed.
The page says "I checked whether it started up, and checked that it works normally at the beginning [as opposed to a whole playthrough]. It didn't start up every time, so it's listed as junk."
It doesn't give any details like the frequency or possible cause of failure.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

mojilove wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote: Anyone speak Japanese? I had to use Google Translate and I'm not understanding what is wrong. The reason I'm asking is b/c I finally plugged in the PCB and played it for about 10 min with no issues that I could tell. I'd love to know what is wrong with the board if it's listed.
The page says "I checked whether it started up, and checked that it works normally at the beginning [as opposed to a whole playthrough]. It didn't start up every time, so it's listed as junk."
It doesn't give any details like the frequency or possible cause of failure.
Thank you so much! That makes more sense, I guess I need to play it some more to try and figure out if something is wrong with it. So far, no issues booting with a HAS and an OSSC.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:I've given the mobile Truxton port a try myself. Gameplay-wise, it seems fine enough, though normal difficulty on it is easier than normal difficulty on the arcade version. I'll have to play it a bit more sometime. One thing I will say is that the fighter ship moving so precisely looks rather...unnatural.
Couldn't agree more about the touch screen control is way too smooth even with Max speed up. Makes the game easier to dodge.

Can't remember how many times I looped it last night but reached 11 million on Very Hard difficulty.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

I can't beat the first stage consistently.

playing Tatsujin on a PCB
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

davidwhangchoi wrote:I can't beat the first stage consistently.

what seems to be the trouble?
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

mycophobia wrote:
davidwhangchoi wrote:I can't beat the first stage consistently.

what seems to be the trouble?
probably my stubbornness not to use bombs. lol
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

use those bombs! you don't even get points for keeping them, and the game gives you a ton throughout. it wants you to use them
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

mycophobia wrote:use those bombs! you don't even get points for keeping them, and the game gives you a ton throughout. it wants you to use them
i'm going to give it a go tonight!
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I always bomb the 3rd miniboss encounter - those 3 round things that shoot twin lasers downwards. I need to speedkill them because once they start shooting bullet spreads I cannot seem to dodge those. I also bomb the stage boss if I don't have green weapon (which chews through the turrets).
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I always bomb the 3rd miniboss encounter - those 3 round things that shoot twin lasers downwards. I need to speedkill them because once they start shooting bullet spreads I cannot seem to dodge those. I also bomb the stage boss if I don't have green weapon (which chews through the turrets).
that's exactly where i've been dying for the last 2 weeks.

update:

i started using bombs and auto fire and made it to stage 2 easy. i also got the 1up towards the end of stage 1.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Nice! You need the red weapon for the stage 2 1-up I believe. Blue is in either stage 3 or 4, I don't recall.
Mills

Post by Mills »

I only use 2-3 bombs on the two Blue mid-level bosses on Stage-5.

This is the only part of the whole game I can't get past without using any bombs with Max firepower. Even if I risk trying to take them out without bombs and lose, those bosses only become weaker to destroy but I still have to use at least 2 bombs. The bright backdrop and blue bullet hell makes them difficult to see the gaps in-between the bullets.

Would be a nice challenge to complete first loop no miss, no bomb, but it's impossible.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Nice! You need the red weapon for the stage 2 1-up I believe. Blue is in either stage 3 or 4, I don't recall.
ah thanks! good to kno 1ups are weapon color specific.
Mills wrote:I only use 2-3 bombs on the two Blue mid-level bosses on Stage-5.

This is the only part of the whole game I can't get past without using any bombs with Max firepower. Even if I risk trying to take them out without bombs and lose, those bosses only become weaker to destroy but I still have to use at least 2 bombs. The bright backdrop and blue bullet hell makes them difficult to see the gaps in-between the bullets.

Would be a nice challenge to complete first loop no miss, no bomb, but it's impossible.
you sir are a pro for using very few bombs :shock:
someday i will beat stage one with no bombs.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Nice! You need the red weapon for the stage 2 1-up I believe. Blue is in either stage 3 or 4, I don't recall.
The blue weapon-exclusive 1up is on stage 5.
Mills wrote:Would be a nice challenge to complete first loop no miss, no bomb, but it's impossible.
Has anyone ever done NMNB of Truxton before?
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

I remember playing Truxton at a local arcade when it was new. I loved that game! A friend and I used to play it co-op, and we fed a LOT of quarters in to that machine. :)

I finally picked up the Genesis version a few weeks ago; I had always assumed I would be disappointed that it wasn't as good as the arcade, but it is quite excellent.