tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mycophobia

Re: tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

Post by mycophobia »

i wrote a review of tatsujin ou: https://mycophobia.org/tatsujin_ou.html
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

I have recently joined the Tatsujin 10 million+ club! That was an awesome credit I had. All the studying, practice, and attempts I did between when I got back into the game in November and when I got the score really paid off. I sure as hell feel like a Tatsujin after having done this.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/827586305
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Grats flo! I will watch your credit in its entirety.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

here's a cheat that smc helped me make to disable checkpoints in truxton 2 / tatsujin ou:

Code: Select all

<cheat desc="Disable checkpoints">
    <script state="run">
      <action>maincpu.mb@2321a=60</action>
      <action>maincpu.mb@23296=60</action>
    </script>
  </cheat>
doesn't fix the game's problems but it's a generally pretty chill time
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's kinda cool, though I imagine it would result in a number of chain deaths? Not like the original doesn't have chain deaths, lol.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

yeah the one credit i've played so far I chain died right before the stage 4 1up trying to suicide to get some bombs back because i didn't really plan it very well lol. also Flobeamer pointed out that at minimum speed you straight up can't dodge the stage 5 boss's homing attack
Meteor-GER

Post by Meteor-GER »

Last edited by Meteor-GER on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

didn't see this until now for some reason

1. It's just the music that's too fast. This is an error acknowledged by the programmer. The game is supposed to run at 60hz

2. Maybe it's possible to beat the game without bombs, but the game gives you tons and doesn't really award bonuses for not using them. The game was designed around bomb usage.

3. Recovery is possible anywhere, though stage 5 in the MD version can be really tricky compared to the AC version because they screwed with some of the checkpoints. Really just try not to die here, but it's worth practicing these recoveries if you do.
Meteor-GER

Post by Meteor-GER »

Meteor-GER

Post by Meteor-GER »

First Version of my Truxton Game guide is finished. But for now, it´s in a german / english mix only.
And surely with a lot of errors and not the best strategies included.

How can I upload it? I can see no Data/attachment button?
It´s in PDF format
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Meteor-GER wrote:It´s in PDF format
I'd be interested in taking a look at this, but not a PDF. Just put the info in a GoogleDoc or PasteBin and give us a link to it. Or make a thread in the Strategy section here.
Meteor-GER

Post by Meteor-GER »

Star Lurker

Post by Star Lurker »

Meteor-GER wrote:@omegaFlareX

Never heard of these formats. I can only export it to PDF or JPG or XML.
I´ve looked in the strategy section, too. There is no upload funktion either.
I think he's referring to creating a plain text/formatted text version of your guidebook (by copying the raw text from the program you are using) either using pastebin (plain text site), this site's post function (which has some formatting and image support), or Google Docs so that it's more viewable and easier for people to refer to than a PDF, especially on mobile. Not to mention easier to copy stuff out of. Here's an exampleof some neat features of Google docs, in this case a table of contents based on headings.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

mycophobia wrote:i wrote a review of tatsujin ou: https://mycophobia.org/tatsujin_ou.html
4 of 5? You have mentioned so much problems with ths game and you still give 4 of 5? But many thanks for the text and the great screenshots. At the moment I think about if I will be so masochistic to try a 1cc on Tatsujin or Ou. But in the past I thought the MD version is too daunting. Has someone beaten the md version or Ou and can tell me, how hard it really is compared to some other shooters?

And has anyone seen a true 1cc of the Mega Drive Version? It seems there are only arcade version ones and others with tool assist...
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Angry Hina wrote:
mycophobia wrote:i wrote a review of tatsujin ou: https://mycophobia.org/tatsujin_ou.html
4 of 5? You have mentioned so much problems with ths game and you still give 4 of 5?
the flaws stand out because its one of the best shmups ive ever played otherwise. i felt like i had to emphasize them because at the time it was very frustrating that such a great game was obscured by so many small mechanical problems and I say as much in the closing paragraph. this frustration was the impetus for my New Version hack, which I believe corrects most of the game's issues.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Angry Hina wrote:
4 of 5? You have mentioned so much problems with ths game and you still give 4 of 5? But many thanks for the text and the great screenshots. At the moment I think about if I will be so masochistic to try a 1cc on Tatsujin or Ou. But in the past I thought the MD version is too daunting. Has someone beaten the md version or Ou and can tell me, how hard it really is compared to some other shooters?

And has anyone seen a true 1cc of the Mega Drive Version? It seems there are only arcade version ones and others with tool assist...
I've cleared Tatsujin Oh. It's without a doubt the hardest shmup I've cleared to date. Its difficulty is high up there. I don't think it's the hardest thing in the world, but it sure took me a while to get that 1-ALL (about six months for a Truxton II 1-ALL, and then about an additional two months on top of that for a Tatsujin Oh 1-ALL). I would speak more on behalf of MD Tatsujin, but I've only gotten up to stage 5 there. I'm not a fan of its reduced screen size.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

On my quest for the normal difficulty 1cc of the MD-version of Tatsujin, Ive needed a little milestone to keep me motivated. So Ive done a nearly 2nd loop clear on easy in 50 Hz mode. I havent seen the 2nd loop beyond lv 1 so Ive lost some lives because I didnt know to well, what will happen next.

I will try a 2nd loop clear on 60 Hz this week before I go back to normal 50 Hz in which its so hard to get a recover within stage 5. Especially with the much harder ceckpoint system of the console version...

So here is my humble run^^

https://youtu.be/1QexVaqNLdc

(2534720 pts)
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Didnt achieved my 2-All clear on easy/60 Hz but was very close. Got to the stage 5 Boss with 10 lives but wasnt able to get him down. My evasions under his spiral attack were shurely not precise enough but the space is just so small to dodge... But well it was a kinda good run with a bit disapointing ending: https://youtu.be/f0YI5Cj1NVg

Yesterday Ive come back to normal (60hz) and was able to get the first time to the middle of stage 5 without loosing a single live. Ive lost 2 or 3 on the two blue ones and so only had to get past the last two chekpoints and kill the boss.... but I havent seen the boss -.- Ive lost all my lifes on the last two passages. These sequences are so hard and I wasnt able to find a reliable concept. The sequence with the round and green enemies are harder on normal then on 2nd loop easy. They shoot earlier, which made it hard for me to find the little gap between them and so I had to use a bomb here a bit earlier (and on other occasions...). The three werent enough to get through both checkpoints and if I die before I see the boss, the true last checkpoint will not be activated in the console version... so frustrating. I hope I dont have to stop here.

Has someone a litte recording of the last part of stage 5 of the MD-version after the blue ones with a good working "low risk" route ? :D
Last edited by Angry Hina on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Iam close^^
Got a "3cc" yesterday on normal in 60 Hz: https://youtu.be/PHg_0TCB5tc
a good run with some unexpected deaths like on minute 29:00 and 30:25. It seems that I can not really rely that much on the blue laser on the later half of stage 5 ....
Kinda disappointing, that I had to continue for the boss kill. I needed three bombs for doing so. Not shure if I should stop here. The 1cc is close but some parts of stage 5 are so hard to control.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I really played the Mega-Drive version a lot because of a hi-score competition here, IIRC I got far on the 2nd loop at it and that was all.

Found the game to be really boring for very long periods with some really nice parts here and there. I remember up until like the half olf level 2 you could just move all the way to right, then all the way to left, then all the way to right, in a loop, non stop, while holding the button, and you'd get pretty far doing just that, up until you get really sleepy and... WHAM, a ship outta nowhere hits you from behind.

That was my hi-score, taken 11 August 2015.

mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

and here's one for tatsujin: https://mycophobia.org/tatsujin.html
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I was a bit confused by Truxton being referred to as the MD version. That's also what the Genesis is called in EU, but my brain instantly thinks "JP version" since the game was designed in Japan. There are also some difficulty differences when played as Tatsujin, though I'm not sure if they are for the better since I remember a post on these forums mentioning that the version with the Truxton title screen is already harder than the AC version.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Thanks for the review. It is a beautiful Shmup, my PCB no longer works and I get this white screen when I turn it on. I haven't played it for years due to this. Are there any Raspberry Pi Emulators that work well in order to play it? I really dislike using the PC for gaming you see and prefer to use consoles and a Supergun when possible.

Yes...the check-point and bonus order system is a bit mean to say the least, I agree.

I think a few Shmuppers really like tatsujin's art style. I like to see how the design ideas you see in Toaplan games then in games from other companies as a kind of evolution over time.

Toaplan are one of my favourite old-school developers.

I also own Dogyuun and yes, the weapons are odd in many ways but the gfx are amazing.
More Bromances = safer people
NMS

Post by NMS »

I joined the Tatsujin Oh 1-ALL club yesterday and felt like writing a bit about this game.

It was really a wild ride like no other for me. There are of course harder clears out there, but Tatsujin Oh really feels special in its own way. The sheer length of the game (a 1-ALL is already the same length or longer than a 2-ALL in most games), the beautiful spritework where you go from basic space mission to the enemy HQ that feels hotter than the sun, the soundtrack pushing you forward (stage 5 is magnificent), the initial thrill of beating stage 4 for the first time, only to realize how much of a wall stage 5 is and how insane it is compared to the first 4 stages (which are quite hard, but it feels like the real game begins on stage 5), the satisfaction of finally beating stage 5, the bigger wall that is stage 6, losing every life to a single checkpoint in stage 6 and practicing that checkpoint for hours, trying to copy strats that don't work for you and finding your own stupid stuff, forgetting everything about the early stages and going back to practicing them, the jank making your life miserable sometimes but somehow giving the game more charm because at this point you don't even care if a small detail makes the game even harder, having to use a bomb because you messed up and regretting it because you really needed that bomb for the next boss, dying 3 times in a row to the asteroid midboss in stage 1, beating your survival PB by 3 pixels of scrolling and feeling happy... so much frustration, but it made the clear so satisfying.

Despite how unbalanced and unpolished the game may be, it's kinda fascinating that it's still beatable. There's no completely stupid section meant to end your credit, every checkpoint is recoverable once you learn them, the third boss has a safe spot (good because it's probably the hardest thing in the first loop if you don't use it), there are so many things you can do to abuse the game, and you don't feel bad about it because the game sometimes abuses you too (I really don't think they playtested the stage 6 midboss, followed by the potatoes section, followed by the icicles, that part is insane).

Also, I really like the fact that the game never stops even when you clear a stage, not even displaying the number of the stage when you enter it. It makes it feel even more like a big adventure. It's not the only game doing it, but I wish it was more common. I sometimes really felt alone when playing this game. No messages on screen (only the Congrats at the end), a game made to kick you that never ends, practically no bombs and not a lot of extends, meaning little room for error, very stressful checkpoints in the last stretch...

It was great.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Question for all who have cleared Tatsujin Oh - how many weeks / months / years practice did it take to complete? This game is on my to-do list, but it will likely be a while before I get to it as there are less difficult titles I'd like to clear first.
NMS

Post by NMS »

bcass wrote:Question for all who have cleared Tatsujin Oh - how many weeks / months / years practice did it take to complete? This game is on my to-do list, but it will likely be a while before I get to it as there are less difficult titles I'd like to clear first.
Personally it took me 1 month, occasionally playing other stuff due to La Calice Cup, but Tatsujin Oh was my main game by a significant margin.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

bcass wrote:Question for all who have cleared Tatsujin Oh - how many weeks / months / years practice did it take to complete? This game is on my to-do list, but it will likely be a while before I get to it as there are less difficult titles I'd like to clear first.
It took me about six months of practice and attempts to clear the first loop of Truxton II, and when I started working on Tatsujin Oh, it took me about an extra two months of practice and attempts to clear its first loop.
bcass

Post by bcass »

@NMS and @Flobeamer1922 - what were the most difficult shmups you completed prior to completing Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh? Also, would you class Tatsujin Oh as the most difficult shmup you ever completed?
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

For me, it's the first notoriously difficult shmup I ever cleared, and it's still the hardest shmup I've cleared to date.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:For me, it's the first notoriously difficult shmup I ever cleared, and it's still the hardest shmup I've cleared to date.
Had you completed any shmups prior to Truxton II?