Horror-themed shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Re: Horror-themed shmups?

Post by XoPachi »

xxx1993 wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:otomedius
Otomedius is nowhere near horror or scary to begin with.
Pretty sure he was joking.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

I'd say it was pretty horrifying.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yeah, well I don't like it when people riff on Otomedius because it's "not Gradius". Any offense to Otomedius is one of my pet peeves with shmup fans.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

xxx1993 wrote:Yeah, well I don't like it when people riff on Otomedius because it's "not Gradius". Any offense to Otomedius is one of my pet peeves with shmup fans.
It's not okay to dislike blatant dumb pandering?

Parodius had plenty of sexy stuff in it but at least it feels like some effort was put into it. Otomedius just seems like lazy, cynical bait.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still like Otomedius. If you can get past the fanservice it's another decent shooter, just like Gradius.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

didn't the special edition come with a jizz rag
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I didn't make this topic to talk about Otomedius, you know...
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

it sure turns into a horror if your dad catches you playing it
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hmm...
BAD

Post by BAD »

Wings of Wor and Deathsmiles come to mind for me.
badcp.info
arthurtheboss

Post by arthurtheboss »

Can Truxton 2 be included? Because it is a horror to pass it on with a single credit. :D
Be MERVA, my friend
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sure, why not.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I always considered it remarkable how both Tatsujins revel in skull imagery without feeling the least bit morbid. On the contrary the first game's bomb is irresistibly life-affirming, and got a cracking homage in Gekirindan. Ou's bomb looks like an angry god taking a burning jalapeno shit, again, life-affirming. Batsugun does similar with its Skull Hornets logo.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Demon's World/ Horror Story isn't really a shmup, but it autoscrolls like one. Has a cartoony artstyle I dig. Lots of horror type enemies like Frankenstein, ghosts, etc. Always would get the "3" power up because it could rapid fire very quickly, and take down flying enemies easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7To1Gk3Slys
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

How about the Salamander/Life Force series. Do brains with arms and space Moray eels count?
Also, I might consider Metal Black something of a sci-fi horror in the vein of Event Horizon. That ending is unsettlingly bizarre.
Was there a cat in that ending, for some reason I remember a cat or something crazy like that... anyways, yeah.

Also, I think Guwange could be considered horror.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There was a cat yeah, among many other things. :lol: I keep him around to illustrate the game's odd burst-fire mechanic. :wink:

Guwange is undeniably horror, of the Japanese folkloric sort. One of the genre's aesthetic masterworks... Gennosuke's intro cinematic remains one of the most stylishly evil things in all gaming.

"Oh goodie! What's in the box, Gennosuke-kun?"

MB always felt like Taito's attempt at 2001 The Shump. :mrgreen: I'd put Abadox and X-Multiply in the Event Horizon boat, both heavily implying (though pointedly never outright confirming) a clash of far-future technology and ancient demons. Though both far predate EH so I guess it's the other way around, haha!