Psikyo shooters on Saturn = poor audio

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
eccoboy

Psikyo shooters on Saturn = poor audio

Post by eccoboy »

Anyone noticed that the audio in gunbird and strikers 1945 on Saturn is often very distorted? Throughout strikers the audio is not very clear and often has small pops and clicks. Gunbird is mostly ok but still has some distortion. The intro theme song in particular hurts my ears and the audio played during the psikyo logo animation sounds like my speakers are torn. Playing the theme in the option menu is clear so I’m guessing it’s a very poorly compressed version that plays during the intro animation that damages my hearing. Makes me want to buy the ps1 versions.
KAI

Re: Psikyo shooters on Saturn = poor audio

Post by KAI »

That shit audio quality come from the pcb, seems like the master recordings were lost because even the ost releases have the same compressed audio from the arcade. I'm sure thats the reason why the psx and ps2 ports of those games have different/arranged music.
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

That’s odd. I like my audio loud and with strikers have to drop the volume down. That gunbird intro I have to skip entirely. I’m surprised I can’t find mention of this anywhere online. It’s really harsh on the ears. I even tried different speakers.

I would think the gunbird ost should be ok since the music tracks sound fine (still not great but not harsh) in the option menu bgm playback.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I never thought about it before, since I only have Strikers II, but it does have a really loud, "up front" kind of sound to it.