do sdoj pre-patched copies have extra lag?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bananamatic

do sdoj pre-patched copies have extra lag?

Post by Bananamatic »

wiped my 360 clean of any updates to see how the game was on release (supposedly all the issues with freezing on big cancels, added input lag, extra windows causing slowdown) yet it stayed on version 1.01 so I assume my game came with the patch preinstalled on the disk

game runs like shit, even on a CRT the lag is worse than anything in mame or the steam ports on a regular 10ms lcd monitor yet some people say it's fine and comparable to futari which has even the pcb delay removed
now I'm wondering, what if the preinstalled patch is screwed up and doesn't fix the delay so people report different things? is there some kind of version control on the 360 that makes sure the patches are 100% identical or is it theoretically possible to apply a different patch that's still marked as 1.01 and have everything working fine as if they were the same?

I can easily imagine they fixed the delay issues last after all the "bigger" ones, then they accidentally supplied the previous one for the newer disks and no one noticed
donluca

Re: do sdoj pre-patched copies have extra lag?

Post by donluca »

Need to check what I have.

I have a 360 with a modded drive, so if I can find a ISO of a pure 1.00 I can test it out.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd have to check again, but as far as I remember, the patch that was released digitally for the first print run of the game didn't reduce the actual input lag. It addressed the serious bug where if you played with extra score/input display windows you got much more in-game slowdown, but I remember it feeling like was still an extra frame or two of input lag over their other 360 ports.

It's possible that the relatively large hitbox size was to blame for that feeling though.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

speaking of lag, what causes the whole "ship moves after unpausing=lag" thing
in futari, this doesn't happen on any of the delay settings, even on 3 extra frames
in the steam ports, this doesn't happen either and I'm pretty sure there are 2 frames
in sdoj, the ship moves almost an entire hitbox length further after unpausing the game while moving (same as cv1k emulated games)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Bananamatic wrote:speaking of lag, what causes the whole "ship moves after unpausing=lag" thing
in futari, this doesn't happen on any of the delay settings, even on 3 extra frames
in the steam ports, this doesn't happen either and I'm pretty sure there are 2 frames
in sdoj, the ship moves almost an entire hitbox length further after unpausing the game while moving (same as cv1k emulated games)
I think it's an emulator thing. If you pause in an emulator you pause the emulation entirely. Remember that the original games (at least if they were arcade games) probably didn't have any way of pausing them built in. I doubt it applies to non-emulated games. I think if you were emulating a console game you would probably have the option to bring up the pause menu as is built into the game or pausing the emulation and only the latter would reveal lag.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

that still doesn't explain why only some ports do it despite having considerable delay
or rather why only sdoj does it
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Bananamatic wrote:that still doesn't explain why only some ports do it despite having considerable delay
or rather why only sdoj does it
Ah, I misread your question then. I definitely don't know why that would be.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score