shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 2894
Location: outer richmond
Well, I love Demon Attack, so you finally got me!
_________________
Humans, think about what you have done


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
louisg wrote:
Well, I love Demon Attack, so you finally got me!


Haha, yeah, I saw that you jumped in! Thanks for coming over and participating. I hope to see some good scores this month :D
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
Spider Fighter, brings back some memories 8) Super fast game

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Southern Cali
Never did anything like this but Im liking the concept. Im much more of a console shmupper than arcade , so this is up my alley.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
garrz32 wrote:
Spider Fighter, brings back some memories 8) Super fast game

Image


Is that your patch? I didn't know about the Activision patches until just a few years ago, but it was kind of a cool idea that, unfortunately, followed with the decline of the US gaming industry in 1983.

@Gamer707b - You're welcome to jump in and join us - plenty of December left :D
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
FRO wrote:
garrz32 wrote:
Spider Fighter, brings back some memories 8) Super fast game

Image


Is that your patch? I didn't know about the Activision patches until just a few years ago, but it was kind of a cool idea that, unfortunately, followed with the decline of the US gaming industry in 1983.

@Gamer707b - You're welcome to jump in and join us - plenty of December left :D



Am afraid not ( shamelessly stolen from interweb :( ) Brilliant idea IMO, reward players who achieved 40K score in the game. I love stuff like this 8) .


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
I do too! I actually thought about buying one of those last night, because I managed to almost hit 100K on the "expert" difficulty switch level, but those patches aren't cheap.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
FRO wrote:
I do too! I actually thought about buying one of those last night, because I managed to almost hit 100K on the "expert" difficulty switch level, but those patches aren't cheap.


:shock: Nostalgia don't come cheap! great score btw, you just need another 800k to freeze the scorecard 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2018 - Atari 2600 Showdown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
Thanks! I managed to squeeze out a little over 141K a couple days ago. I know it's possible to score a lot higher, but I'm pretty happy with that at the moment, given how quickly I progressed.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - January 2019 - Lightening Force/TF4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
Bump to announce the January 2019 game - Lightening Force, aka Thunder Force IV! Yes, I finally get to gush about my favorite shooter of all time, and spend an entire month focusing on it, then podcast about it later :lol:

Sign-up/discussion thread:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index ... ic=18881.0
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
I totally forgot to update this thread, but the game of the month for February is Zanac! All versions are available, and we'll even be discussing Zanac NEO, so any fans should stop over and take a look!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index ... ic=18934.0
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
I watched your stream on Zanac the other day, man that game is relentless.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
garrz32 wrote:
I watched your stream on Zanac the other day, man that game is relentless.


Thanks for watching! Yes, it definitely has frenetic pacing for much of the game. One interesting thing is that it has a level of adaptive difficulty, to where your sub-weapon choice affects what enemies you'll encounter, to a certain degree. It can drastically change the way the game plays.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
FRO wrote:
Thanks for watching! Yes, it definitely has frenetic pacing for much of the game. One interesting thing is that it has a level of adaptive difficulty, to where your sub-weapon choice affects what enemies you'll encounter, to a certain degree. It can drastically change the way the game plays.


yes, I noticed that. it's almost like a strategy game where power ups can actually be your downfall 8) .

Do you play these game on the original hardware ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 903
Location: France
FRO wrote:
One interesting thing is that it has a level of adaptive difficulty, to where your sub-weapon choice affects what enemies you'll encounter, to a certain degree.

I remember the game getting super angry whenever I picked the frontal shield (which should be weapon 2). :lol:
However, Weapon 7 doesn't drastically boost the enemy agressiveness even though it can cancel bullets and it very useful overall.

Have you tried the SPECIAL mode in Zanac X Zanac, by the way? It is Zanac, but harder. if you haven't had your fill of the game after clearing its regular version, you may want to try this one!

Also, there's Zanac Neo which is a fantastic game, and definitely worth checking out. If you like the Compile style, you'll enjoy it. But what's really great is that you can have fun with it even if you don't actually like other Compile shmups.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1800
Location: Nebraska, USA
garrz32 wrote:
FRO wrote:
Thanks for watching! Yes, it definitely has frenetic pacing for much of the game. One interesting thing is that it has a level of adaptive difficulty, to where your sub-weapon choice affects what enemies you'll encounter, to a certain degree. It can drastically change the way the game plays.


yes, I noticed that. it's almost like a strategy game where power ups can actually be your downfall 8) .

Do you play these game on the original hardware ?


Yes, i'm playing Zanac on my original NES, and piping that through a RetroTINK 2X, so I can get it to my capture card, and into OBS Studio for streaming. And I'm using my NES Advantage, of course :D

M.Knight wrote:
FRO wrote:
One interesting thing is that it has a level of adaptive difficulty, to where your sub-weapon choice affects what enemies you'll encounter, to a certain degree.

I remember the game getting super angry whenever I picked the frontal shield (which should be weapon 2). :lol:
However, Weapon 7 doesn't drastically boost the enemy agressiveness even though it can cancel bullets and it very useful overall.

Have you tried the SPECIAL mode in Zanac X Zanac, by the way? It is Zanac, but harder. if you haven't had your fill of the game after clearing its regular version, you may want to try this one!

Also, there's Zanac Neo which is a fantastic game, and definitely worth checking out. If you like the Compile style, you'll enjoy it. But what's really great is that you can have fun with it even if you don't actually like other Compile shmups.


I will be exploring Zanac NEO this month as well, and probably streaming a little of that later in the month. I know that Zanac X Zanac also includes the FDS and MSX versions of the game, so I'll probably mess around with those a bit, to see if there are any drastic differences between them, so I can speak to those more directly on the resulting podcast as well. Also: Zanac but harder? Yikes.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2019 - Zanac
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
FRO wrote:

Yes, i'm playing Zanac on my original NES, and piping that through a RetroTINK 2X, so I can get it to my capture card, and into OBS Studio for streaming. And I'm using my NES Advantage, of course :D


That's pretty cool, nice set up.It's great to see these games in their original form 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: geremy, Nifty, shmupsrocks and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group