Monthly Shmup Club - March 2023 - Gradius 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RawlingGunnar

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - August 2019 - Blazing Lazers

Post by RawlingGunnar »

FRO wrote:
I know you like to stream these, but you may need to be careful on this one; the music is super copyright-sensitive due to the soundtrack consisting mostly of Crystal Method's album "Vegas".
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - October 2019 - n2o Nitrous Oxide

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I know you like to stream these, but you may need to be careful on this one; the music is super copyright-sensitive due to the soundtrack consisting mostly of Crystal Method's album "Vegas".
Well, as I stated before, if you're playing on the ps1, you can take out the CD and put in whatever soundtrack you want.
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - August 2019 - Blazing Lazers

Post by FRO »

RawlingGunnar wrote:I know you like to stream these, but you may need to be careful on this one; the music is super copyright-sensitive due to the soundtrack consisting mostly of Crystal Method's album "Vegas".
I thought about that, and have verified on YouTube that at least 2 other streams of this exist with the soundtrack intact. One of them is a stream that's literally just someone playing the game for 45 minutes, and the other was an hour+ stream, similar to what I do, with an overlay, webcam, and the streamer talking over it. That one was from just a couple years ago, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with that. Because streaming with overlays and commentary makes the whole thing a "transformative work" per YouTube guidelines, I'm hoping I won't get a strike for it. I like the soundtrack enough to want to stream with it at least once or twice, assuming I can do so w/o having the video taken down. If so, I can stream and then just immediately pull the video off YT, so at least while streaming, the audio is accessible.

@m.sniffles.esq - I didn't know that I could take the CD out and put in another audio CD with n2o - I'll have to give that a try! Thanks for the heads up on that. Might be fun to stream to some independent music I have, of some CDs I have that were released privately, not on labels, etc.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I didn't realize this, but apparently there's a PC version of n2o as well, and it's on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3648 ... ous_Oxide/

Anyone wishing to jump in, this will be a good/cheap way to do so.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I didn't realize this, but apparently there's a PC version of n2o as well, and it's on Steam!
It's nothing but a repackaged emulator (PCSX-R) with the game's disc image last time I checked, still better than nothing nevertheless
FRO

Post by FRO »

@Gespenst - good to know, thanks for the info. That must be why the system requirements are WinXP or above. I'm guessing Windows 98, which was the thing when the original was released, wouldn't have been able to run a decent PSX emulator.

@m.sniffles.esq - I tried your suggestion, and it worked like a charm! Looks like it's time to signal boost some indie bands, who won't flag my channel for giving them free publicity :D
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Don't ask me how I actually figured that feature out. If I remember, the manual informs you that the soundtrack would play independently in a regular CD player, and I just followed the logic of that feature backwards.

Oh, and thanks for the Steam heads-up! I remember really liking n2o, but it has been awhile. So it's good to know if ever I wanted to board the way-back machine, it will only cost me $5 to do so (and I don't have to find a PS1 at a flea market)
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - November 2019 - Tiger-Heli

Post by FRO »

Some game developers have an extensive repertoire of varying game genres that demonstrate their adeptness in game design. Other companies, however, no matter what they do, they are always associated with a particular genre. That's the story with legendary Japanese shooting game powerhouse Toaplan. Though they developed games of different styles, including the well regarded puzzle platform game Snow Bros.: Nick & Tom, they will forever be known as a shooting game company, due to their extensive history with the genre, and how prolific they were, from 1985 to 1993. During that 8-year span, they developed 16 different shoot-em-ups, many of which are considered essential classics. The first of those shooting games, released in arcades in 1985, is Tiger-Heli.

Tiger-Heli is the first game in the "Tiger" trilogy, which continued with Kyukyoku Tiger, commonly known in the west as Twin Cobra, and culminating with Kyukyoku Tiger II, which released after Toaplan had disbanded. After Toaplan declared bankruptcy, many employees went on to join, or form, other development houses, many of which continued to innovate in the shooting game space. Namely, former Toaplan developers went on to companies like Cave, Raizing, and Takumi, all of whom developed groundbreaking and influential shooters during the 90's and 2000's. Every great has to start somewhere, however, so we're taking a look at Toaplan's very first shooter development, published by Taito in Japan, and Romstar in North America. Come join the RF Generation Shmup Club, as we look at Tiger-Heli in November 2019 - both the arcade original, and the Famicom/NES conversion by Micronics!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19204.0

Alternatively, you can visit rfgeneration.com and join our Discord channel - there's a dedicated #shootthecorecast topic where we can talk about the Shmup Club game of the month. You can also follow my Twitter (link in signature) or the Shoot the Core-cast Twitter account, and tweet at us with #rfgshmupclub to post scores, and discuss the game.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

That flyer art is disgustingly great. I need that in a frame.
-
FRO

Post by FRO »

RawlingGunnar wrote:That flyer art is disgustingly great. I need that in a frame.
Yeah, so much of the arcade art from that period is outstanding. Curiously, this is one I randomly found online. It's not in the Arcade Flyers database, for some reason.
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

FRO wrote:
RawlingGunnar wrote:That flyer art is disgustingly great. I need that in a frame.
Yeah, so much of the arcade art from that period is outstanding. Curiously, this is one I randomly found online. It's not in the Arcade Flyers database, for some reason.
Looks like the flyer is for the Famicom version, therefore not worthy of the arcade flyers db.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

egg_sanwich wrote:
FRO wrote:
Looks like the flyer is for the Famicom version, therefore not worthy of the arcade flyers db.
Yea, that's definitely a Fami ad. No less cool tho. May need to double-dip on fami then :)
-
FRO

Post by FRO »

egg_sanwich wrote:Looks like the flyer is for the Famicom version, therefore not worthy of the arcade flyers db.
You're absolutely right - how silly of me not to notice :lol:
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2019 - Otomedius Excellent

Post by FRO »

In December, the RF Generation Shmup Club will be taking on a game that has been requested since the beginning of the club. We'll also be finally playing one of the many shooting games on the Xbox 360. A descendant of the Gradius series of games, and to a lesser extent, the Parodius series, Otomedius Excellent is the second of 2 shooting games from Konami that feature an all-female cast of pilots, and a very anime-styled presentation. The game's predecessor, Otomedius Gorgeous, was only available in Japan, but in the West, we were not only given the chance to buy the sequel, but were treated to a deluxe package, including an outer box, an artbook, a pair of pillowcases, and a soundtrack CD, featuring a sampling of songs from the Otomedius Gorgeous soundtrack, as well as the vocal songs included in this game. For collector's, Otomedius Excellent certainly provides more value the the average game purchase.

Otomedius Excellent plays similarly to the classic Gradius series of games. Shoot down enemy waves, and collect power-up chips, and then use those to upgrade your ship. What sets this entry apart, however, is that you have a choice between more characters and ships than ever before, and your weapon load-out can be highly customized. Not only that, but the game has a large amount of DLC, adding additional challenges, and other content to explore. The game combines detailed 3-D environments with fully voiced, anime style boss introductions, and dialogue from all the characters. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in December 2019, as we play Otomedius Excellent for the Xbox 360!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19224.0

Or go to the RFGeneration.com page and use the link there to join our Discord server!
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - December 2019 - Otomedius Excellent

Post by FRO »

In modern gaming vernacular, those who aren't familiar with shoot-em-up conventions often refer to them all as "bullet hell" games. However, the term has a much more narrow scope than all of scrolling shooters. Some consider Toaplan's swansong Batsugun to be the genesis of the genre, and games developed by companies whose staff was formerly of Toaplan, such as Raizing, Takumi, and Cave, have frequently been given that label. However, one developer stands tall in the crowd, and has worn the danmaku, or "bullet hell" crown proudly. Japanese studio Cave, with development often led by Shinobu Yagawa, has produced some of the most well recognized and respected games in the genre, and certainly continued to wave the flag for shmups, well after their commercial viability as a genre had been called into question. Though they haven't released a new shooting game for several years now, as the shmup genre is celebrating somewhat of a renaissance, they remain relevant as the go-to for many hardcore players, because their games are considered to be of the highest quality.

January 2020 marks the first Cave game explored by the RF Generation Shmup Club, and our debut look at their catalog begins with none other than Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. Released in arcades in 2003, the game took the familiar military trappings of Cave's previous DoDonPachi series of games, but took the game in a different direction, mechanically, and in terms of the specifics for scoring. With a greater emphasis on point blanking enemies, and a limited range focus laser weapon with lock-on capabilities, Ketsui has a different feel than Cave's previous military-themed shooters, and that makes it fairly unique in the Cave canon. A special boss rush version was made for the Nintendo DS in 2008, called Ketsui Death Label. The game received an Xbox 360 release in Japan in 2010, and saw release on the PS3 in 2013. In 2018, prolific studio M2 ported the game for their ShotTriggers line, to the PlayStation 4. Not only did they bring the arcade version fully intact, but also included the IKD 2007 soundtrack, and a new mix by famed composer Virt, aka Jake Kaufman. In addition, they created a new mode for the game, titled "Deathtiny" that changes the mechanics and scoring. It gives the game play another dimension, and provides even more replay value to this already impressive game. Come join the RF Generation Shmup Club in January 2020, as we explore Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi!

We're also starting a new tradition in 2020, as our January title will also be our year-long score focus! We'll continue to play a different game each month, and will tally scores at the end, so that aspect remains. But because of the complexity of a game like Ketsui, which will take players longer to acclimate to, and longer to master, we want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to get good at the game, and allow for participants to really maximize their ability to score well in the game. Throughout the year, we encourage everyone who is playing the game to continue to post score progress, share strategies, and talk about the game. We hope this will be a fun way to keep everyone engaged throughout the year, and that more people will join in the fun!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19225.0
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - January 2020 - Ketsui

Post by FRO »

Normally, when one thinks of Taito, and shoot-em-up games, two things often come to mind. One would be Taito's Space Invaders, which ostensibly birthed the genre, or one of its many sequels, or spin-off games. Second, some would immediately think of the long-running Darius series, and its various arcade and console iterations. Occasionally, however, a company like Taito will throw us for a loop, and publish something that has nothing to do with their main intellectual properties. In 1992, they did just that, with Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer. Rather than scrolling horizontally, like their flagship, aquatically inspired shooting game series, Taito gave us a vertical scrolling game, based much more closely on some form of reality.

Set in a (then) future 1999, in an alternate reality, based upon some events post Persian Gulf War, an unnamed Middle Eastern nation has risen to military prominence in the region. Starving for resources, they begin attacking neighboring countries to seize their resources. Despite their lack of resources, they have devised weapons powerful enough to overcome these other nations, and have become a threat to the entire world. In response, a military alliance has formed, and is wielding a new technology, called Gyrodrive Reactive Intercept Device, or GRID. Using 1 of 3 fighter jets, along with these GRID units, you're sent into battle to take on the warring nation, and bring an end to their military might. Though not ported to consoles during that era, the Taito Legends 2 compilation (PS2, Xbox) gives the opportunity to play this game in an official form. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in February 2020, as we take on Taito's Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer!

To participate, sign up here:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19253

Also, remember that we'll still be working on our 2020 Score Challenge game, Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. Please continue to post in that thread after January as well, and continue to play the game, and share your scores and progress. We hope to continue to see players jumping into that competition throughout the year. Good luck!

To participate in the Ketsui scoring competition, or keep up with the progress, check the thread here:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19225.0
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - February 2020 - Grid Seeker

Post by FRO »

When it comes to shooting games on the Sega Genesis, one company that comes to mind in the West is Renovation. They published several games in the genre, such as Arrow Flash and Whip Rush on the Genesis, and Sol-Deace on the Sega CD. As the North American arm of Telenet Japan, they brought a number of games to the Western audience, from a variety of genres, and shooters were well represented in that category. What might not be as well known, however, is that, of all the shoot-em-up games they published, only one of them was their own creation. That honor went to their flagship shooting game, Gaiares. Gaiares is perhaps as famous for its ad campaign in North American game magazines and comic books, as it is for its gameplay, since Renovation heavily saturated publications with ads, which featured professional gamer Jamie Bunker, touting the game's perfect score in GamePro magazine.

In the year 3000, Earth has become a toxic dump ravaged by careless humans, leaving an uninhabitable, polluted wasteland. The space pirates Gulfer, led by the evil Queen ZZ Badnusty, plan to harvest the pollution to create weapons of mass destruction. The United Star Cluster of Leezaluth sent a warning to the Earth about their plans, stating that if they could not stop them, they would be forced to supernova Earth's sun to do so themselves; but if they succeeded, Leezaluth would use their technology to restore the Earth to its former beauty. Dan Dare, a young pilot from Earth was chosen to be the pilot of a new fighter ship to combat the Gulfer. The ship is armed with a powerful experimental weapon from Leezaluth called the TOZ System, which would be operated by Alexis, an emissary from Leezaluth. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in March 2020, to take to the skies, and deploy the TOZ System, as we play Gaiares!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19266.0
garrz32

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - March 2020 - Gaiares

Post by garrz32 »

Pretty hard game, great soundtrack . Correct me if am wrong but was this the first Genesis game to come with 8MG?
FRO

Post by FRO »

The MD/Genesis version of Strider was the first 8MB cart, or Gaiares was. Strider hit September 1, 1990 in the US, and later that month in Japan. According to Sega Retro, Gaiares hit Japan in December of 1990, and followed in North America in February of 1991. I was pretty sure it was Strider, because I remember Sega running these ads in game magazines of the time:

https://www.forsyard.com/images/19891990/striderAd.jpg

And yes, hard game, great soundtrack, and one that is quintessentially a MD/Genesis OST. It has a certain charm to it, even though I think there are other OSTs from shmups on the system that are probably better, both compositionally, and in terms of just how fitting they are to the game. Either way, I'm looking forward to diving back into the game!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

FRO wrote:The MD/Genesis version of Strider was the first 8MB cart, or Gaiares was. Strider hit September 1, 1990 in the US, and later that month in Japan. According to Sega Retro, Gaiares hit Japan in December of 1990, and followed in North America in February of 1991. I was pretty sure it was Strider, because I remember Sega running these ads in game magazines of the time:

Great knowledge Fro, you know your stuff 8) Great advert, btw what a time to be alive!..
FRO

Post by FRO »

garrz32 wrote:
FRO wrote:The MD/Genesis version of Strider was the first 8MB cart, or Gaiares was. Strider hit September 1, 1990 in the US, and later that month in Japan. According to Sega Retro, Gaiares hit Japan in December of 1990, and followed in North America in February of 1991. I was pretty sure it was Strider, because I remember Sega running these ads in game magazines of the time:

Great knowledge Fro, you know your stuff 8) Great advert, btw what a time to be alive!..
Ha, thanks. To be fair, I remembered the ads from magazines as a kid, but I looked up the release dates anyway to confirm, so I wasn't just talking about of my backside :lol:
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Hi, I left a message on the other site and I was asking how does it work? Do we take a pic of our high scores or are we going for a 1cc?
Thanks for picking this game. Its in my top 3 favorite shooters of the 16 bit.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Gamer707b wrote:Hi, I left a message on the other site and I was asking how does it work? Do we take a pic of our high scores or are we going for a 1cc?
Thanks for picking this game. Its in my top 3 favorite shooters of the 16 bit.
I saw your post and commented there, but I'll echo here for you as well. Basically, we play the game during the month, use the thread to comment on it, talk about the game, discuss strategies and tips, and post screenshots of your score as it improves. If you get a 1CC, feel free to post a screenshot or photo of that as well, and gloat all you like :D
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Hey, sounds like a lot of fun. As long as I have said game, im down. I don't do mame or anything like that, but as long its on my shelf, count me in.
Gaiares is a nice 16 bit shooter but not easy at all. Im rusty on my Gaiares skills, but I'll have at it next month.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Gamer707b wrote:Hey, sounds like a lot of fun. As long as I have said game, im down. I don't do mame or anything like that, but as long its on my shelf, count me in.
Gaiares is a nice 16 bit shooter but not easy at all. Im rusty on my Gaiares skills, but I'll have at it next month.
Sounds great! Always good to have more participants on board. And yes, Gaiares is a tough game, and one that I have yet to clear. Hoping to maybe get closer to that next month!
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Lets get pumped on this excellent game fellas. Im starting my Gaiares play today. Curious to see other people's progress.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Ok guys. got to the 3rd level with a total of 270,392 points on my first credit. looks like Im going to be practicing this one.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Pretty good initial effort! I had forgotten a few of the beats in the 1st 2 levels, so I struggled a bit at first, to remember the game's cadence. Now that I'm acclimated, I'm reaching stage 4 more regularly. Just need to work out the level better, and get a better handle on that boss fight.
FRO

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - April 2020 - Steel Vampire

Post by FRO »

The Japanese shooting game scene has long been plentiful with doujin titles. Single developers, or small studios, lovingly craft games they care about, often for little or no profit. One of the more unknown doujin developers is Akiragoya. That may be due to the fact that most of his games, like Galshell, or the Yakouga series of shooters, were released only in Japan, and are of a more "adult" nature, often with nudity, body horror, and grotesque designs inspired by the likes of famed German artist H.R. Giger. To date, only two of Akiragoya's games have come to the West officially, and commercially. One of those is the more traditional shooting game, Steel Vampire.

Five hundred years have passed since the last war. Humanity has succeeded in eliminating all forms of war, disease, and poverty, bringing about an era of perpetual peace. However, calamity soon strikes! The sudden arrival of flying objects known as Steel Vampires threaten the entirety of mankind's existence. On the brink of extinction, the fate of mankind has been left to a single person; a man deemed far too dangerous to sustain humanity's serenity. He was cryogenically frozen--his existence nearly erased from history. His name is... Yoshino Sakurajima.
Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in April 2020, as we play Steel Vampire, available on Steam!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/forum/index.php?topic=19284.0
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Monthly Shmup Club - April 2020 - Steel Vampire

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I gave this game a look because it was called "Steel Vampire," which is an incredible name.

Unfortunately, the resulting game is less than incredible. There's a 20 minutes tutorial teaching you all about point blanking--as if you've never heard of such a concept before--leading into some undemanding and dull gameplay