shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Getting Back Into Shmups - Mame Version?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:16 pm 

tnc wrote:
Hello. I was wondering why you guys aren't playing windowed when vsync is off. It prevents tearing in my case. Am I missing something?

In Windows 10 anything but exclusive full screen has enforced triple buffered vsync applied.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm 

SynthRicardo wrote:
Sorry for making an account just for this (been lurking this place for many years since these are my favorite games, but I don't feel welcome at forums; however, after posting this in many places, I still haven't gotten an answer.)

I've been playing Sengoku Blade and noticed some big graphical glitches on one of the first four random stages (the one with lots of clouds). The game in general has them, but they're particularly noticeable there. These glitches are present in the latest MAME 0.198 and 0.197, yet they aren't in the 0.196 build.
Picture of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/ejxuOvQ
Is there a way to fix this without having to use the previous build? I have the custom stuff posted here (thank you for that, I was about to post here for the custom autofire after people not helping me elsewhere stuff but then I found that post) so it'd be a shame to lose those features.
Alternatively, how can I add custom buttons and autofire myself? I'd be grateful if the one that made that for MAME 0.197 did it for 0.196, if it isn't an issue (I don't think it'd be hard to apply that to another MAME version once previously done, but I could be wrong), but if that isn't possible I'd still want that feature. However, I've noticed that your changes mess up the input menu for Neo Geo games a bit; not a big deal, just saying.

I can compile another build for 0.196, but I also included the diff so if you have the setup you can apply the patch on top of the source code and build it yourself. I've noticed the issue with Neo Geo, but never really looked into why it happens. The diff I based mine off of includes some code specific for Neo Geo but as far as I could tell it didn't do anything. I could very well be wrong about that though.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm 

Edited.

Last edited by SynthRicardo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 am 

tomwhite2004 wrote:
In Windows 10 anything but exclusive full screen has enforced triple buffered vsync applied.

Isn't there any way to disable it?

edit: Or let me guess, if I were to disable it it would tear in windowed too, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am 

mame noob problem. i'm trying to play soukyugurentai on the mame build shepardus made and i'm getting an error saying i'm missing the file epr-19854.ic8 however i can't find a version of the bios which contains that file anywhere. what do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am 

Immryr wrote:
mame noob problem. i'm trying to play soukyugurentai on the mame build shepardus made and i'm getting an error saying i'm missing the file epr-19854.ic8 however i can't find a version of the bios which contains that file anywhere. what do?

Something to do with the SEGA ST-V Bios.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm 

Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Immryr wrote:

Something to do with the SEGA ST-V Bios.

Yes, I know it's something to do with the stv bios. As I said, the stv bios I have, and every other one I can find online doesn't seem to have the file which it says I'm missing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am 

Just google for epr-19854.ic8 and you’ll get a link to an st-v bios that has it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am 

yeah, i tried that and didn't seem to find one. i have since found a stv bios that works though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm 

Like the OP, trying to get back into shmups, and finding most of my old roms don't work. I'm not a mame expert, but mostly just want to get Batsugun up and running (hmmm, maybe better just dusting off my saturn???) but getting a missing file error (tp030_u19_ga116v8b_15.bin). Assumed I was just missing a file, but the more I search, the more it seems like I'm going down a rabbit hole. Help!

SHMUP sale page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm 

arbee37 wrote:
People for some reason have a mass mental block about it, but the best way to find ROMs for a MAME version is in fact to Google "MAME 0.whatever ROMs".
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm 

To his credit these days it's not like you can find the latest roms anywhere just carelessly googling and cherry picking like we still could a few years ago. Plus there's those many annoying bios and device files that are vital to almost all games and receiving updates more and more frequently; if you don't keep up in just a few build versions apart you may see hundreds of games getting stuck with the 'missing files' message.
So in a way it's become a 'legitimate' complaint. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am 

Actually both your posts are useful. I was googling the bios name and a few other tricks, but since rom sites often don't list the files, was turning into a huge waste of time. Very frustrating coming back to mame after years and finding so many of my files don't work. Anyway, lucked out with batsugun. Thanks!

SHMUP sale page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am 

Even emulating something like Q*Bert in Mame isn't so simple anymore. The voice synthesis is now emulated rather than sampled and it's still a work in progress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:57 pm 

OK, so right now it seems like I want to collect different versions of Mame for different games. I'm wondering if anyone has a working link to shmupmame? The original page for it has nothing but dead links, and my googlefu isn't producing anything else. Surprisingly a lot of a shmups seem to work fine in the newer versions of mame with lots of tweaking in the menus.

SHMUP sale page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

CMoon wrote:
OK, so right now it seems like I want to collect different versions of Mame for different games.

You should just pick the latest release, which is the best overall.

Also if you think something is broken that worked before (it's not very frequent, but a real possibility), generally you can get detailed information at MAME Testers https://mametesters.org/main_page.php
Q*Bert is kind of an exception. Samples are a gross hack, so if/when the devs can remove them, they do, even if it means the end result is imperfect - consider it a blessing in disguise.
Hacks are also why Pong got removed completely for some time, to eventually be emulated and re-added (working more accurately than before).

CMoon wrote:
(...) Surprisingly a lot of a shmups seem to work fine in the newer versions of mame with lots of tweaking in the menus.

:?:
What tweaking are you talking about ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

Keade wrote:
CMoon wrote:
(...) Surprisingly a lot of a shmups seem to work fine in the newer versions of mame with lots of tweaking in the menus.

:?:
What tweaking are you talking about ?

Well I immediately found a lot of the games were running at really inconsistent speeds (both too fast and too slow) until I allowed it to auto skip frames, and also there are some graphics sync options that would slow the whole the whole game down. This is on a pretty powerful PC, so wasn't expecting any issues, but it seems like newer versions of mame have a LOT more options (or at least I never messed with the options on the older versions.) Also had to tweak the autofire which I thought wasn't even in the newer versions of mame, but found it buried in a menu anyway.

And now the real crisis...discovering that I am even worse at Shmups than I remember :lol: :lol: :lol:

SHMUP sale page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am 

What version of MAME are you running ? (official binaries from https://www.mamedev.org/ ?)

MAME default configuration runs at the proper speed, always, except if you computer can't keep up. In this case you can gain a little performance (not much) by increasing the frameskip. Auto will do that automagically for you. Since you mentionned you have a powerful PC, it means it should be able to run most games that work (especially shmups) at full speed.

Some games will seem slow (like Metal Slug) or too fast (Cave CV1000 games). These are emulation issues that either are normal (Metal Slug slows down on MSV) or unfixable (CV1000), and not related to MAME configuration.

Hope that helps :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm 

Keade wrote:
What version of MAME are you running ?

I know there are newer versions, but now that I have a lot of things up and running I'm afraid to change!

Quote:
MAME default configuration runs at the proper speed, always, except if you computer can't keep up. In this case you can gain a little performance (not much) by increasing the frameskip. Auto will do that automagically for you. Since you mentionned you have a powerful PC, it means it should be able to run most games that work (especially shmups) at full speed.

I'm sure that it was probably something I had wrong in the settings. At first games like Batsugun would be very choppy and bullets would be WAY TOO FAST (look, I know I'm over the hill now, but c'mon!) Turning on HLSL, GLSL and Bilinear Filtering, while turning off synch refresh and wait vertical sync makes the games run pretty well.

Quote:
Hope that helps :)

Thanks!

SHMUP sale page.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm 

https://docs.mamedev.org/commandline/co ... e-all.html

syncrefresh will ignore the game's intended speed and sync to your monitor refresh rate. If you have got a 120Hz monitor, a typical will run at approximately twice the normal speed.
You generally want it off ;)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6