Help to build a PC setup with MAME

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Liquidus0

Help to build a PC setup with MAME

Post by Liquidus0 »

Hello everybody !

I am looking to get a PC to run Shmupmame (I couldn’t find what are the hardware requirements to run the games smoothly) and a monitor with a stand to put it in tate.

I am a total noob when it comes to PC as I grew up in a house with Apple computers only.

What would you recommend for a decent setup ? (PC, monitor and stand).

Thanks for your help !
Liquidus0

Re: Help to build a PC setup with MAME

Post by Liquidus0 »

To be more precise, here are some questions I don't have answers yet :

Is shmupmame 4.2 still the best choice for shmups or is there another version of MAME to consider ?

Would a mini PC be able to run things smoothly ? What would be good specs requirements ? (I read somewhere on the forum that some PCB, like the CAVE CV1000 needed a bigger processor)
pmp

Post by pmp »

A toaster is good enough for most 2d games afaik, so an average modern pc is more than enough. Shmupmame is based on a rather old mame release. It has some tweaks which reduce input lag and improve performance on weaker pcs, but it’s not as accurate and is not compatible with all the games in a newer make release.

If you have the money for it, you could get a freesync monitor and gpu for better accuracy on games which ran below 60fps on pcb. Kind of overkill, but perhaps a worthwhile investment if you do a lot of gaming.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

i remember streaming cv1k games on my old core 2 duo piece of shit from god knows when
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

If building a PC from scratch then I agree with the FreeSync route.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G seems like a good budget compromise these days, it's probably enough for the Cave games and maybe more, and its built-in GPU supports FreeSync it seems (probably need to confirm which mobo is required for that though)

A handful of FreeSync IPS monitors can be had for under 200 now, but one issue is that most I've seen are missing a rotating stand or even the VESA mounting holes on the back (well you can always DIY a kick-stand lol)

That and a fairly recent MAME build of your choice = best solution, besides a real CRT setup of course.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"