Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by Jeneki »

CRP wrote:Saint Dragon is out
I never played this one before, it's pretty cool actually. The tail wrap blocking reminds me of Dragon Breed.

Also seems weird that Switch is just getting Salamader and Kiki KaiKai now. Wonder if it's due to those two having ports on Nintendo consoles? I picked them up years ago on ps4.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I have loved Saint Dragon unconditionally since it came out, own the PCB too, so of course I bought it right away.

That feeling when I got into third slot on the rankings, straight away (my nick is CAI) :D

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Awesome! Always great to see those early high scores.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Rolling Gunner
£14.39(-20%)
Offer until: 19/02/2020
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Is it bad that I'm playing Zero Gunner 2 for the first time and I like it? Is that allowed? I got it in the Psikyo collection and it's pretty dumb fun for me especially considering I've never played the original.

I find it very difficult to switch positions, does anyone just leave it mostly in the same position?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

????

I fucking love ZG2. Wonton destruction and crazy transforming bosses. What's there not to love?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, ZG2 has always been a well-liked game around here. Neat take on 360' shooting, and possibly more accessible than other Psikyo titles with its less brutal boss patterns (at least in Loop 1).

Cannon Spike AKA Gunspike is worth a look if you like ZG2. Ground-based Robotron/Smash TV-esque, similar but different 360' action. :smile:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I think all the complaints about the Switch Zero Gunner 2 version are not about the intrinsic qualities of the original game, but rather the heavy inaccuracies of said port. (It's officialy named "Zero Gunner 2 minus" for a reason :lol: )
So there's nothing wrong for liking it if you've never played the game on PCB or DC.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote:Yeah, ZG2 has always been a well-liked game around here. Neat take on 360' shooting, and possibly more accessible than other Psikyo titles with its less brutal boss patterns (at least in Loop 1).

Cannon Spike AKA Gunspike is worth a look if you like ZG2. Ground-based Robotron/Smash TV-esque, similar but different 360' action. :smile:
Much like Sol Divide, I can appreciate Psikyo patterns in non-shmups, even if the execution isn't up to their best work (if nothing else, Psikyo patterns in SD and Cannon Spike make me go "awwww" :wink: ). It's been long since I tried to play Cannon Spike seriously, but I always don't mind popping it in for some heavy Capcom fanservice. Only thing it's missing is an RE character (c'mon, they have a biohazard level!!).
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

How hard is Shikhondo, and how fun is it? Is there grazing/buzzing? It's on sale for a good price and I'm tempted to buy it.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

steveovig wrote:How hard is Shikhondo, and how fun is it? Is there grazing/buzzing? It's on sale for a good price and I'm tempted to buy it.
It's just ok. If it's super cheap go for it and you might get some fun out of it. I was personally frustrated as it looks like it should support Tate, but it's another game like Raiden V that has that "TV Tate" with letterboxing on the sides. As such I found it pretty unplayable in handheld mode on the Switch, though your milage may vary depending on what TV you play it on. The artwork itself is not bad, and there are some creepy boss designs, but it all looks fairly amateur in motion.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Pop'n Twinbee was released for NSO today. I haven't played this for some time. Should be good for some fun / nostalgia
VanishingVision

Post by VanishingVision »

In trying to find more about why AGES Fantasy Zone doesn't allow remapping the X button, I wrote Sega Support after M2 Support hasn't responded. While I got a response, it was nothing more than "the AGES ports were not developed for arcade sticks" and that the fact I was able to use the stick for the other games (Thunder Force, Gain Ground, Shinobi etc., all free of this issue) was "chance". Fantasy Zone was one of the biggest reasons I chose to buy a stick for the Switch, and this whole thing has left a bad taste, I expected a lot better from M2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

VanishingVision wrote:In trying to find more about why AGES Fantasy Zone doesn't allow remapping the X button, I wrote Sega Support after M2 Support hasn't responded. While I got a response, it was nothing more than "the AGES ports were not developed for arcade sticks" and that the fact I was able to use the stick for the other games (Thunder Force, Gain Ground, Shinobi etc., all free of this issue) was "chance". Fantasy Zone was one of the biggest reasons I chose to buy a stick for the Switch, and this whole thing has left a bad taste, I expected a lot better from M2.
Sounds like a typical customer service response from someone who knows nothing about the game. At least it plays with joystick and the B and A buttons work great for the game. I wouldn't blame M2 for this. Dumb responses like these are par for the course with customer service reps, especially in the US. It's not like arcade sticks are the only reason for button remapping either.
VanishingVision

Post by VanishingVision »

It seems like I ended up fussing for nothing. I just opened the stick up and swapped the wires for X and A. Works perfectly now, and the only thing left to do is just remap the buttons for my other Switch games accordingly. Still a little odd, I know the start button has a gameplay function in Upa-Upa mode, but you think it would only be locked in that mode then. Oh well, everything worked out, and it's an excellent port. I haven't played Fantasy Zone in a while and forgot how much fun it was.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Arcade Archives Life Force/Salamander got released yesterday on EShop. It contains the JP Salamander, US Life Force and JP Life Force arcade roms.

CAN YOU HEAR TO THE PULSATION OF SPACE!???!?!
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

M.Knight wrote:I think all the complaints about the Switch Zero Gunner 2 version are not about the intrinsic qualities of the original game, but rather the heavy inaccuracies of said port. (It's officialy named "Zero Gunner 2 minus" for a reason :lol: )
So there's nothing wrong for liking it if you've never played the game on PCB or DC.
Are the psikyo ports really that bad on switch???
I was hoping them to be good for a purchase :oops:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Phellan Wolf wrote:
M.Knight wrote:I think all the complaints about the Switch Zero Gunner 2 version are not about the intrinsic qualities of the original game, but rather the heavy inaccuracies of said port. (It's officialy named "Zero Gunner 2 minus" for a reason :lol: )
The rest are more accurate to the originals, but suffer (like g did) from terrible input lag.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Phellan Wolf wrote:
The other games aren't really ports... just ROMs dropped in an rather piecemeal emulator. With an added frame of lag due to how the Switch interprets inputs.

ZG2- is a special case since ZeroDiv chose not to simply emulate the NAOMI or DC versions but instead decided to attempt a complete recoding of the game. The second loop is still missing from this version.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I wish I could pick up Sengoku Cannon separately. I know it probably sucks, but I don't want to buy the whole pack for one game when I already have Gunbird and Sengoku Ace as downloads.

FWIW I managed to 1ALL Gunbird on the Switch. The release isn't robust but not terrible for someone looking for a quick portable fix. Some games feel better than others though; Gunbird feels pretty normal (not quite as responsive as mame) but for some reason I wasn't liking how Strikers felt.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Damn it. Thank you guys. I really hope that at least a fix or patch is in the works and if it isn’t, lets pray for the scene the rework the os a bit so it can be a bit more accurate with a stick.
Shame on Zerodiv to not include Zero Gunner 2nd loop :(
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Sorry guys to bump the thread once again, but rereading the list of games I have noticed that there is no Battle Garegga and Dangun Fever On that have seen a Ps4 release a d since switch got Esprade does someone knows if M2 plans to release them???? It will be a shame to let them outside of the system anyway.
Also Natsuki Chronicles and Ginga Force could be also easily ported to the system and now that they are going to be released on steam and Ps4 Qute should jump in.
Seeing as how the system is getting so much love of the genre I really wish they got ride off the input latency problems
Cheers
YoniArousement

Post by YoniArousement »

The Nintendo Switch can emulate Zero Gunner 2 and Cannon Spike perfectly fine, I have demonstrated it. It seems that 3rd party Naomi/DC games like Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 will never see a re-release in this day and age.

According to Mark_MSX's Shmup Input Lag Database, ZeroDiv's Psikyo games suffer from 6-8 frames of lag.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I grabbed the Bravo collection mainly because I miss Gunbird 2 (the DC version isn't VGA compatible) and while I'm going from memory, it seems like it plays exactly like the DC version.

I mean, if there is lag, it's not effecting my playing any. I'm about as good as I figured I would be for not playing in five years...
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

BrianC wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote:
The rest are more accurate to the originals, but suffer (like g did) from terrible input lag.

Not sure why but the random hotd reference made me smile.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If you don't mind pre-emptive entries, a new side-scroller titled "B.ARK" was recently announced for Switch; the shmup/brick breaker hybrid Sky Racket is also being ported over.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I noticed this game:
Red Death
In the new releases.

I can't speak for it's quality, but it's $4, and seems very influenced by ZeroRanger.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I think zeroranger was still final boss at the time this came out.
It's cheaper on steam if that's an option - https://store.steampowered.com/app/591560/Red_Death/

It might be worth 79p, but it's not worth your time, to be honest.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Not experiencing any noticable inout lag on the Switch Psikyo games, either the standalone or on the Alpha/Bravo packages. But I'm seeing the games being absolutely savaged for it, to the point where they're basically being called worthless. Which is some coronavirus panic buying level of overreaction.

The only limitation I'm getting is the joycons themselves - neither the stick nor the d-buttons can reliably make quick diagonal changes, which when paired with my past-their-prime reactions is brick walling me.
EmperorIng wrote:I wish I could pick up Sengoku Cannon separately. I know it probably sucks, but I don't want to buy the whole pack for one game when I already have Gunbird and Sengoku Ace as downloads.

FWIW I managed to 1ALL Gunbird on the Switch. The release isn't robust but not terrible for someone looking for a quick portable fix. Some games feel better than others though; Gunbird feels pretty normal (not quite as responsive as mame) but for some reason I wasn't liking how Strikers felt.
I'd love to be able to have an opinion on Sengoku Cannon, but the 3D backgrounds whizzing around made me feel physically sick within about 5 seconds of starting! It does look absolutely dreadful up to the point I can't play on though.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I think zeroranger was still final boss at the time this came out.

Oh, I didn't even realize it was a port of a three year old game...

Not experiencing any noticable inout lag on the Switch Psikyo games, either the standalone or on the Alpha/Bravo packages. But I'm seeing the games being absolutely savaged for it, to the point where they're basically being called worthless. Which is some coronavirus panic buying level of overreaction.

I'm unsure about the coronavirus, but the lag issue is definitely an overreaction (at least on the Bravo collection). I've been actively trying to see what the issue is, and thus far, I've noticed nothing. Any "lag" is due to my decreasing reflexes...

PS Paint as a Fragrance was seriously one of my favorite driving records for years