Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KaizaCorp

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by KaizaCorp »

scrilla4rella wrote: ...

Curious to hear what controllers you guys are using.
Not a controller with a d-pad, but I've been enjoying using a Brook PS3/PS4 to Switch converter for my PS3 stick (HRAP3) to play Strikers 1945 and Zero Gunner 2.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

kaiza wrote:
scrilla4rella wrote: ...

Not a controller with a d-pad, but I've been enjoying using a Brook PS3/PS4 to Switch converter for my PS3 stick (HRAP3) to play Strikers 1945 and Zero Gunner 2.
Nice! I may go that route. So I guess the input lag isn't too distracting?
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

I've been comparing it to Strikers 1945 in shmupmame and with the joy-con d-pad and I don't notice too much difference... although take those feelings with grain of salt as I'm only now getting into Strikers 1945 so I'm not as familiar as others might be. I'd be interested to hear what any Strikers 1945 (or any Psikyo) veterans think of the port's accuracy.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

scrilla4rella wrote:The port of Dragon Blaze made me pull the trigger on this system sooner rather than latter.

Can anyone recommend a decent controller (w/ d-pad) for shmups on the Switch?

The Pokken Tournament controller looks cheap and good, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with the ZeroDiv ports.

The Hori Wired pad looks OK but I'm not sure about the dpad position.

I think the A+ solution is to pad hack a pro controller with an arcade stick, but that s a labored endeavor for sure. The brooks converter is solid, but does have a little lag.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Keep in mind the zerodiv ports (well, at least Dragon Blaze) only let you bind actions to x,y,a,b. So if you're using a stick where the button row is something like 'x,y,R' you can' t bind anything to the third button on that row.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

zakk wrote:Keep in mind the zerodiv ports (well, at least Dragon Blaze) only let you bind actions to x,y,a,b. So if you're using a stick where the button row is something like 'x,y,R' you can' t bind anything to the third button on that row.
You are right about that. Those zero dev ports need to improve their button binding. Usually when I play on stick, I use the bottom left button as my third. I feel like my thumb is faster than my ring finger.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

doesn't the brook fighting board work on switch too (as the pokkén tournament controller)
then again you have to ask yourself why you're using a stick for a portable handheld that has almost nothing but ports in mame
zakk

Post by zakk »

It does.
Bananamatic wrote:doesn't the brook fighting board work on switch too (as the pokkén tournament controller)
then again you have to ask yourself why you're using a stick for a portable handheld that has almost nothing but ports in mame
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

kaiza wrote:I've been comparing it to Strikers 1945 in shmupmame and with the joy-con d-pad and I don't notice too much difference... although take those feelings with grain of salt as I'm only now getting into Strikers 1945 so I'm not as familiar as others might be. I'd be interested to hear what any Strikers 1945 (or any Psikyo) veterans think of the port's accuracy.
I started playing it docked + screen tated and realized background suffers some kind of bad scaling on Filter 1 (raw pixels). It doesn’t happens with Filter 2 (softened) or Filter 3 (softened+scanlines). I tried different resolutions in console display configuration (1080p-720p-480p), none of them solved the problem.. anyone more has noticed it?
Working in the japanese language achievement
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Bananamatic wrote:doesn't the brook fighting board work on switch too (as the pokkén tournament controller)
Yes, that's what I use. When I tried Dragon Blaze, I felt it had pretty noticeable lag, but I hadn't done enough testing to figure out whether it was due to the stick PCB or the game itself. In the end, I decided just to not bother with Switch shmup ports (it's not like I'd want to play them in handheld mode anyway) and stick to PC and PS4.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV will be up first. The two games will be priced at 925 yen each. are confirmed for an August release.
Thunder Force IV includes Styx Mode from the SEGA Saturn edition and online leaderboards.
also as meantioned before done by M2

https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-age ... -in-august
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Keres wrote:
Yes, that's what I use. When I tried Dragon Blaze, I felt it had pretty noticeable lag, but I hadn't done enough testing to figure out whether it was due to the stick PCB or the game itself. In the end, I decided just to not bother with Switch shmup ports (it's not like I'd want to play them in handheld mode anyway) and stick to PC and PS4.
Do you think the hori d-pad joycon and the virtacle switch grip will tempt you to play the switch in handheld mode?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I backed the vertical grip because it was so cheap, but I still probably wouldn't play shmups with it; I don't really like playing shmups with a d-pad.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Keres wrote:I backed the vertical grip because it was so cheap, but I still probably wouldn't play shmups with it; I don't really like playing shmups with a d-pad.

I feel you. I prefer stick as well. Too bad the switch doesn t have the option for a tiny arcade stick like the neo geo mini ;-)
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Bananamatic wrote:...
While not ideal, a PS4 would probably be preferred. It's easier to take the Switch + dock over to a friend's places instead of my desktop. I'd prefer a better d-pad for handheld mode over the joycon though.

Mark_MSX wrote: Do you think the hori d-pad joycon and the virtacle switch grip will tempt you to play the switch in handheld mode?
One thing to keep in mind is that the HORI d-pad joycon states that it doesn't function detached from the switch, so I'm not sure if it will work well with the flip grips.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Hamster confirmed:
Aca Neo Geo: Prehistoric Isle 2

https://nintendoeverything.com/hamster- ... or-switch/

also these arent included in the list yet :
CRP wrote:SNK 40th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION) will feature:

Alpha Mission (Console/Arcade)
Prehistoric Isle (Arcade)
Vanguard (Arcade)
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

@CRP I will add them

List is getting big and complex to organise. This weekend I will try to revamp itv
Working in the japanese language achievement
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Is Gunbird 2 supposed to be released today? I've looked all over the eshop and haven't found any mention of it, even in upcoming releases.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mark_MSX wrote:Is Gunbird 2 supposed to be released today? I've looked all over the eshop and haven't found any mention of it, even in upcoming releases.
Gunbird 2 was released awhile ago, but was taken off the US eShop. I'm not sure if it's back yet, but I purchased it before it was taken down.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

BrianC wrote:
Mark_MSX wrote:Is Gunbird 2 supposed to be released today? I've looked all over the eshop and haven't found any mention of it, even in upcoming releases.
Gunbird 2 was released awhile ago, but was taken off the US eShop. I'm not sure if it's back yet, but I purchased it before it was taken down.
Dang! Do you know why it was taken down?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mark_MSX wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Dang! Do you know why it was taken down?
Probably some sort of censorship issue. I heard it's back on the EU store, but NOA likes to take their time on these things, even though a patch came out not too long ago.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

That s interesting, what needed to be censored?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Probably some of the endings.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Mark_MSX wrote: Dang! Do you know why it was taken down?
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/94510 ... 15681?s=19
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

DejahThoris wrote:
That's Gunbird 1, which returned to the eshop and is still there. Nintendo isn't commenting on the removal of Gunbird 2, but what Xyga said about it probably being the endings makes sense.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mah boi EIN strikes again. ¦3 No man (or rabbit)'s butt is safe!
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

BrianC wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
That's Gunbird 1, which returned to the eshop and is still there. Nintendo isn't commenting on the removal of Gunbird 2, but what Xyga said about it probably being the endings makes sense.
Sorry, I read that way too late last night, ha.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

*EDIT* Sorry didn't realize how old the post was I was replying to and that it had already been answered.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

CRP wrote:”... Omega Fighter is a vertical shooter from UPL, originally made in 1989. "
s: https://nintendoeverything.com/argus-an ... is-summer/
Release date: July 26
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n ... index.html
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:
CRP wrote:”... Omega Fighter is a vertical shooter from UPL, originally made in 1989. "
s: https://nintendoeverything.com/argus-an ... is-summer/
Release date: July 26
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n ... index.html
Now this game Omega Fighter will really bring serious scoring competition, especially caravan run.