Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
werk91

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by werk91 »

The flip grip is great idea, I'm looking forward to trying it when out and about!

How do highscores work in those ACA NEOGEO Switch games? And I mean just local highscores, I keep playing Metal Slug for example and everytime I complete a game I save my score with the 3 letters but then there's nowhere to actually look through the local highscores, just the online rankings :? Same thing with Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That's one thing that was disappointing with Arcade Archives Vs. Super Mario Bros. It doesn't seem to save local high scores for that game. Not sure if that's the case with the arcade machine, but there's a hack of Vs. SMB for NES that supports high score saving. However, just looking at local scores probably works the same as the arcade, wait for the attract mode demo for finish playing and the high scores will show up after a while.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Switch discounts , dont know how long will last
Dimension Drive 20% off *came up today
Danmaku Unlimited * since last week been up
CRP

Post by CRP »

Just i heads up regarding namco museum. I just read there is input lag even after patch. Dont know how significant it is though.

"Bandai Namco also says that the input delay fix is just an improvement. The few frames delay is impossible to avoid due to the nature of Switch’s hardware. It’s impossible to be fixed completely. "
source https://nintendoeverything.com/namco-mu ... tch-notes/
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

CRP wrote:Dimension Drive 20% off *came up today
Free shipping for those who preorder play-asia physical version.
Althought I am not interested in the game I supported it, maybe it’s just because there are only 3 physical shmup releases upcoming?
Working in the japanese language achievement
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote:"Bandai Namco also says that the input delay fix is just an improvement. The few frames delay is impossible to avoid due to the nature of Switch’s hardware. It’s impossible to be fixed completely. "
source https://nintendoeverything.com/namco-mu ... tch-notes/
I would like to hear M2 and the teams doing the emulation (Arc System Works? Another developer was listed for some games, but I forgot the name) for Arcade Archives comment on this. I doubt that's an accurate statement, especially with native Switch games like Thumper not having any delay in handheld mode (or TV mode with a low latency TV).

Edit: That article was from 2017. Input lag seemed low to me, but I'm not the greatest with judging input lag. I did notice a slight bit in Vs. SMB compared to the hack to work on real hardware, but that seems to have been lessened with the patch for that game. After the patch, progress in both version has been comparable. Made it up to world 7. The replacement levels for levels that are repeated in SMB (some of which were remade for SMB2J) and having the harder versions of levels earlier definitely makes it harder than vanilla SMB.

I heard Namco Museum Switch and Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 are getting a combined retail bundle. I heard the Switch version of the latter has framerate drops. ugh.
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote: Edit: That article was from 2017. Input lag seemed low to me, but I'm not the greatest with judging input lag. I did notice a slight bit in Vs. SMB compared to the hack to work on real hardware, but that seems to have been lessened with the patch for that game. After the patch, progress in both version has been comparable. Made it up to world 7. The replacement levels for levels that are repeated in SMB (some of which were remade for SMB2J) and having the harder versions of levels earlier definitely makes it harder than vanilla SMB.
thanks for firsthand impression about the framerate
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I need to check the PS4 version of Pac-Man CE2 again. From reading around more, it sounds like the framerate drops aren't limited to the Switch version. I'm under the impression it was poorly optimized all around. The PC specs are a joke.
je_apostrophe

Post by je_apostrophe »

schleichfahrt wrote:
5pectre wrote:Wasn't Aka to Blue confirmed not coming to Switch?
Yeah, considering the currently transpiring news it's safe to take it off the list.
What do you mean?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

je_apostrophe wrote:
schleichfahrt wrote:
5pectre wrote:Wasn't Aka to Blue confirmed not coming to Switch?
Yeah, considering the currently transpiring news it's safe to take it off the list.
What do you mean?
Tanoshimasu have confirmed that the Switch port of Aka to Blue is not actually a thing that's happening.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

You can add "Beekyr Reloaded" to the list. (Released 14th June 2018)
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Kaleidogames wrote:You can add "Beekyr Reloaded" to the list. (Released 14th June 2018)
Updated. Thanks
Entity

Post by Entity »

What version of Strikers 1945 2 is the switch running? I just picked it up and noticed the explosions and other graphics arnt as fully animated as the arcade version, I have the PCB so it made me wonder.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

Just figured I'd mention...
Tomorrow(July 9th) is the last day that you can get the Flip Grip through it's already funded Kickstarter campaign.
It allows portable Tate on Switch, $12. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip
BIL

Post by BIL »

Entity wrote:What version of Strikers 1945 2 is the switch running? I just picked it up and noticed the explosions and other graphics arnt as fully animated as the arcade version, I have the PCB so it made me wonder.
That sounds decidedly like the PS1/Saturn ports, which sadly seem to have had a shelf life far beyond those platforms (they're the basis of the PS2 collection, to name one later release).

Easy comparison is Cross Sinker (st6) during his transformation, which is hugely cut down in the PS1/SS ports, but the pistons on Goliath (trainyard boss)'s initial form are another giveaway. Compare PS1 vs MAME.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Some of these are really stretching it to call them "shmups"...like some other people said, you might want to clean this up with actual shmups, not stuff like Gunbarich, etc.

Also, you should separate the ones that are not released yet into a separate list. Having everything jumbled together is really confusing and seeing "tenative" games that may never even be released at all in there makes it worse.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

Three meh for the list.

Aces Of The Luftwtaffe : Squadron
17/11/2017 UK £13.49
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 04348.html

Sky Force Reloaded.
01/02/2018 UK £8.99
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 34143.html

Starship Avenger.
19/07/2018 JP 500Yen
http://www.tomcreate-games.com/starshipavenger/
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

I just did an interview with the CEO of EXA and he reported that there will never be a home console release of AKA to Blue :-( So for now I think you can remove the question mark from the list.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

you had one chance at a beta shmuprising
i warned you
you did not listen
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Mark_MSX wrote:I just did an interview with the CEO of EXA and he reported that there will never be a home console release of AKA to Blue :-( So for now I think you can remove the question mark from the list.
So is that no home release of the Exa version of AKA to Blue, or no home releases at all of the game?
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Mark_MSX wrote:I just did an interview with the CEO of EXA and he reported that there will never be a home console release of AKA to Blue :-( So for now I think you can remove the question mark from the list.
Yes. Developer said there was not going to be a switch version due to the poor performance on tests: They compiled a demo version to play in a meeting with apparently negative results.
To my opinion it really comes to exclusivity with exA Arcade rather than any other reason, it works flawlesly in my 3 year iPhone
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

sorry for party rocking
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

pcb_revival wrote:Three meh for the list.

17/11/2017 UK £13.49

Sky Force Reloaded.
01/02/2018 UK £8.99

Starship Avenger.
19/07/2018 JP 500Yen
Sky Force was enjoyable for me in psvita, not a top tier shmup but a fun game to play sometimes.
Starship Avenger looks so bad I am debating myself it has to be added in the list... :shock:
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

jandrogo wrote:
pcb_revival wrote:Three meh for the list.

17/11/2017 UK £13.49

Sky Force Reloaded.
01/02/2018 UK £8.99

Starship Avenger.
19/07/2018 JP 500Yen
Sky Force was enjoyable for me in psvita, not a top tier shmup but a fun game to play sometimes.
Starship Avenger looks so bad I am debating myself it has to be added in the list... :shock:

I have Aces of Luftwtaffe and was extremely disappointed. I wasn't digging it at all. Is this just me?

Also, as I understand it, there will be no console version of AKA at all. Also, from what it sounds like, the exclusive content for shmups developed for EXA will never come to the home console releases of those shmups.
MachineAres 1CC

Mark_MSX wrote:I have Aces of Luftwtaffe and was extremely disappointed. I wasn't digging it at all. Is this just me?.
No, this game is really awful. I bought it last week and regretted it almost instantly. It seems like they were TRYING to make every possible design decision that went against what makes shmups fun in the first place. I struggled for the better part of an hour just to finish the story, but it was almost physically painful how bad the game is. I've now learned my lesson of buying random crap on Switch anymore.

We're unfortunately getting to that shovelware phase of the Switch, now that some indie "devs" are getting more financial success on it than they have on the bloated mess that is Steam and Switch users are desperate for new original software, so I expect there to be a ton more of utter trash (mostly iPhone/Android ports) shmups coming our way in the near future.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Mark_MSX wrote:I have Aces of Luftwtaffe and was extremely disappointed. I wasn't digging it at all. Is this just me?.
No, this game is really awful. I bought it last week and regretted it almost instantly. It seems like they were TRYING to make every possible design decision that went against what makes shmups fun in the first place. I struggled for the better part of an hour just to finish the story, but it was almost physically painful how bad the game is. I've now learned my lesson of buying random crap on Switch anymore.

We're unfortunately getting to that shovelware phase of the Switch, now that some indie "devs" are getting more financial success on it than they have on the bloated mess that is Steam and Switch users are desperate for new original software, so I expect there to be a ton more of utter trash (mostly iPhone/Android ports) shmups coming our way in the near future.
To me it almost seemed intentionally bad, I wonder what they were thinking? The ship moves backwards when you shoot haha
MachineAres 1CC

Mark_MSX wrote:To me it almost seemed intentionally bad, I wonder what they were thinking? The ship moves backwards when you shoot haha
Yeah, the whole thing really puzzled me as I was playing it, honestly. I couldn't figure out if it was that bad on purpose or if it was just a lazy shovelware game, but I ultimately decided on the latter.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Mark_MSX wrote:To me it almost seemed intentionally bad, I wonder what they were thinking? The ship moves backwards when you shoot haha
Yeah, the whole thing really puzzled me as I was playing it, honestly. I couldn't figure out if it was that bad on purpose or if it was just a lazy shovelware game, but I ultimately decided on the latter.
Agreed!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The name of the game makes me cringe. It's too close to Secret Weapons of the Luftwtaffe, which is a much better game.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

The port of Dragon Blaze made me pull the trigger on this system sooner rather than latter.

Can anyone recommend a decent controller (w/ d-pad) for shmups on the Switch?

The Pokken Tournament controller looks cheap and good, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with the ZeroDiv ports.

The Hori Wired pad looks OK but I'm not sure about the dpad position.

Curious to hear what controllers you guys are using.