Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
IroHero

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by IroHero »

GameName IRO HERO
Orientation Vertical
EUR price 12,95
Retail No
Developer Artax Games
Released Yes
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Prehistoric Isle 2 is out on Switch today.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Tokyo-J wrote:Prehistoric Isle 2 is out on Switch today.
It is also garbage, just like most Neo Geo shmups :D
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
donluca

Post by donluca »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
It is also garbage, just like most Neo Geo shmups :D
Pulstar and Blazing Star beg to differ.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Gunbird 2 is back for us in North America :-)
poptart

Post by poptart »

donluca wrote:
Pulstar and Blazing Star beg to differ.
He said "most" not "all".
donluca

Post by donluca »

poptart wrote:He said "most" not "all".
Yeah, I mean... how many shmups are on Neo-Geo, excluding the recent MVS post-mortem releases?

Off the top of my head:

Prehistoric Isle 2
Aero Fighters 2 & 3 (not top of the line, but still enjoyable)
Alpha Mission 2 (ok, this one's not too good)
Strikers 1945+ (which I still enjoy a lot to this day)
Andro Dunos (meh)
Pulstar & Blazing Star (fantastic shmups, which I rank really highly)
Captain Tomaday (this one's pretty bad)
Twinkle Star Sprites (not a "true" shmup but absolutely a blast to play, especially against other people)

I've probably missed a few I can't remember now, but I would hardly say "most" of them are garbage.
poptart

Post by poptart »

donluca wrote:but I would hardly say "most" of them are garbage.
ok? he thinks they are though, a difference of opinion.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Sure, no problem with that, just wanted to point out some games aren't that bad to me! :D
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mark_MSX wrote:Gunbird 2 is back for us in North America :-)
I also noticed most of the other Psikyo shmups updated. Not sure what was updated.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Is there any word on Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 coming to the US? I don't mind ordering from playasia but I'd rather wait if there's a known Western release coming.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

BrianC wrote:
I also noticed most of the other Psikyo shmups updated. Not sure what was updated.
I think they just added possibility to map controls and use the R and L shoulder buttons, at least that is the only change I noticed.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

One more to add jandrogo

Star Ghost.

A demo is available.

EDIT.
Does Super Rock Blasters also make the cut. Its an Asteroids inspired game.

http://www.njpen.com/collingswood-devel ... do-switch/
donluca wrote:
Yeah, I mean... how many shmups are on Neo-Geo, excluding the recent MVS post-mortem releases?

Off the top of my head:

Prehistoric Isle 2
Aero Fighters 2 & 3 (not top of the line, but still enjoyable)
Alpha Mission 2 (ok, this one's not too good)
Strikers 1945+ (which I still enjoy a lot to this day)
Andro Dunos (meh)
Pulstar & Blazing Star (fantastic shmups, which I rank really highly)
Twinkle Star Sprites (not a "true" shmup but absolutely a blast to play, especially against other people)

I've probably missed a few I can't remember now, but I would hardly say "most" of them are garbage.
The lost m.i.a. Arcade Archives game Viewpoint from American Sammy.
FRO

Post by FRO »

pcb_revival wrote:The lost m.i.a. Arcade Archives game Viewpoint from American Sammy.
Not to derail this thread, but I would absolutely love to see Viewpoint on the Switch - a proper port with the proper soundtrack. That would be amazing.
MachineAres 1CC

donluca wrote:
poptart wrote:He said "most" not "all".

Here's my take on these. Dunno if this deserves a different thread, though we are specifically highlighting how about 1/3 of the shmups on Switch are these Neo Geo ports.

Prehistoric Isle 2 (Pretty shite)
Aero Fighters 2 & 3 (Decent)
Alpha Mission 2 (Meh)
Strikers 1945+ (Inferior vertizontal version)
Andro Dunos (meh)
Pulstar & Blazing Star (Pulstar is OK, Blazing Star not so much)
Twinkle Star Sprites (Probably the best "shmup" on Neo Geo, hands down)

You also forgot:
Zed Blade (Bad, lazy excuse for a game)
Last Resort (Badly made non-space R-type clone)
Ghost Pilots (easily one of the worst shmups I've ever played)
Viewpoint (decent)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

GFoyle wrote:
BrianC wrote:
I think they just added possibility to map controls and use the R and L shoulder buttons, at least that is the only change I noticed.
Yep. That's what the recent update to all of their releases added; L and R mapping. Having done that, ZeroDiv can get back to fixing ZG2-.

In so far as the Neo Geo's library of the genre goes, you guys are still missing a couple. The first handful of games on the console were pretty rough:
Ghost Pilots (very slow and ugly 1942/1943 clone with obnoxiously long levels)
Andro Dunos (feels like the team were inspired by Hellfire and Salamander but just slapped ideas together haphazardly to produce something thoroughly mediocre)
Ninja Commando (shares design with the likes of Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky but really needed a pre-mapped auto-fire button... too many Neo Geo games require constant hammering on the A button)
ASO2/Alpha Mission 2 (contains overly long levels with lengthy spaces of nothing... has a cool weapon system but also the annoying aspect of making every other boss only damageable via bombs, feels like an early PC-Engine game with slightly better visuals)

Things greatly started to improve once Last Resort came out, in fact, it's probably my favourite on the console. The game has a very basic power up system but gets more complicated when taking into account how differently the Force unit functions in comparison to R-Type's Wave Cannon and Force Pod. I would say that this was easily the largest hurdle I had to overcome in developing an appreciation for the game. I also really love how the stage transitions add to the narrative (well, up until level 5, that is). During each boss battle, the next level can be seen in the background. Once destroyed, the player craft actually scales off into said background before starting the next stage. Sadly, this doesn't apply when going from stage 4 to 5, which leads me to believe that there used to be something else planned between stages 4 and 5 or the final stage originally wasn't in space (the team probably started running into problems with implementing a background that wouldn't tear like crazy with the large flagship being moved all over the screen).

Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters 2 & 3 (proto Psikyo games with loads of ships to choose from and short levels, employs the annoying "max weapon level drops after firing so many shots" system)
Pulstar (obvious R-Type clone is obvious... has a shorter power-up sequence, directional aiming for the Bits and a Force release that detonates the pod, also some pretty excessive checkpoint milking)
Strikers 1945+ (an awkward remix of Strikers 1945 Part II that drops the partitioned charge system for something more basic, also has bosses that love to park in the middle of the play area)
Choutetsu Brikin'ger/Brikin'ger Ironclad (Saurus love prerendered visuals but are terrible at implementing them, the pseudo-isometric view doesn't help, has a cool Darius-style level progression system though)
Prehistoric Isle 2 (Saurus getting help from Yumekobo on the visuals, decent game that is really easy due to over-powered weapons and an over-abundance of bombs, really needed dedicated auto-fire mapped to C)
Blazing Star (has a completely broken ship and excessive boss milking... great prerendered visuals and excellent mono music... solid design for stages 1 through 6 that completely falls apart in stage 7)
Operation Ragnarok/Zed Blade (competent game from NMK with some really awesome music, the rank rise in the later stages gets kinda stupid though given the hitbox size)
Captain Tomaday (it's a thing that can be played)
Viewpoint (awesome isometric visuals and music, stupidly difficult with completely unforgiving level design)
Twinkle Star Sprites (great versus shooter that is something of a mess to play for score in single player)
MachineAres 1CC

Kiken wrote:In so far as the Neo Geo's library of the genre goes, you guys are still missing a couple. The first handful of games on the console were pretty rough:
Ghost Pilots (very slow and ugly 1942/1943 clone with obnoxiously long levels)
Andro Dunos (feels like the team were inspired by Hellfire and Salamander but just slapped ideas together haphazardly to produce something thoroughly mediocre)
Ninja Commando (shares design with the likes of Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky but really needed a pre-mapped auto-fire button... too many Neo Geo games require constant hammering on the A button)
ASO2/Alpha Mission 2 (contains overly long levels with lengthy spaces of nothing... has a cool weapon system but also the annoying aspect of making every other boss only damageable via bombs, feels like an early PC-Engine game with slightly better visuals)
I did mention all of those (except Ninja Commando, which isn't really a shmup. Read again
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

It's a borderline but Data East's Nitro Ball is coming. It's great to see this fantastic game getting some love.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/j ... all-switch
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

pcb_revival wrote: Star Ghost.

Does Super Rock Blasters also make the cut. Its an Asteroids inspired game.
Updated both!
IroHero wrote:GameName IRO HERO
Orientation Vertical
EUR price 12,95
Retail No
Developer Artax Games
Released Yes
Updated!
CRP wrote:Hamster confirmed:Aca Neo Geo: Prehistoric Isle 2
Updated!
Working in the japanese language achievement
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Does Nitro Ball count? Coming out August 16th in NA on the eShop.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/j ... all-switch
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Anyone wanna comment on the quality of those Psikyo ports? It sounds like Strikers II is based on the ps1 port from what I'm hearing, and if that's the case I'll probably skip out on it since I'm used to playing the arcade version on MAME.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Harpuia wrote:Anyone wanna comment on the quality of those Psikyo ports? It sounds like Strikers II is based on the ps1 port from what I'm hearing, and if that's the case I'll probably skip out on it since I'm used to playing the arcade version on MAME.
They are extremely, extremely bare-bones, at least the ones I tried were. You can basically just play the game; no practice mode, no stage select, no leaderboards, no replays. The sound quality is better than MAME at least (probably the same files used in the original console ports).
MachineAres 1CC

CloudyMusic wrote:
Harpuia wrote:Anyone wanna comment on the quality of those Psikyo ports? It sounds like Strikers II is based on the ps1 port from what I'm hearing, and if that's the case I'll probably skip out on it since I'm used to playing the arcade version on MAME.
They are extremely, extremely bare-bones, at least the ones I tried were. You can basically just play the game; no practice mode, no stage select, no leaderboards, no replays. The sound quality is better than MAME at least (probably the same files used in the original console ports).
I can confirm this 100%. They're all as bare bones as you can get, even more bare than the Arcade Archives (ACA) games. It's a rom running on an emulator that works on Switch, basically, but it has a bare bones option menu to change control and screen settings.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

Coming soon 30 Aug.
Azure Reflections.

Off list - run and gun.
Gunlord X.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

pcb_revival wrote: Off list - run and gun.
Gunlord X.
I know it isn't a shmup, but I wasn't expecting this. I thought NG:Dev Team quit doing games for newer consoles.
FRO

Post by FRO »

pcb_revival wrote:Coming soon 30 Aug.
Azure Reflections.

Off list - run and gun.
Gunlord X.
Both excellent news! I wonder what chance there is of a physical release for either. AR I could see, because we already got one Touhou game physically on Switch, but it would be awesome to get both on cards, and not strictly digital.
MachineAres 1CC

Looks like RXN -Raijin- is getting a physical release for Switch next week on August 30th via Play-Asia only. $40 for regular and $50 for limited (only comes with a small DVD-sized art book.)

I wish the game was better than it is, but some people will probably want this.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Ah right, the second RXN bashing thread, I keep forgetting this exists. I'm glad RXN is finally getting a physical release, it deserves it.
Kiken wrote:Ghost Pilots (very slow and ugly 1942/1943 clone with obnoxiously long levels)
Why does everyone compare it to 1942? It's a Toaplan clone, like so many Toaplan clones.
Kiken wrote:Andro Dunos (feels like the team were inspired by Hellfire and Salamander but just slapped ideas together haphazardly to produce something thoroughly mediocre)
Wrong. Please replay it. It's actually a better game than your precious Last Resort simply because it has longevity, which Last Resort does not, at all.
Kiken wrote:Choutetsu Brikin'ger/Brikin'ger Ironclad (Saurus love prerendered visuals but are terrible at implementing them, the pseudo-isometric view doesn't help, has a cool Darius-style level progression system though)
Yet it plays really well...
MachineAres 1CC wrote:except Ninja Commando, which isn't really a shmup
Yes it is. As is Out Zone, Commando itself, etc. Years of hating on arena shooters only gets you so far.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MachineAres 1CC

Despatche wrote:Ah right, the second RXN bashing thread, I keep forgetting this exists. I'm glad RXN is finally getting a physical release, it deserves it.
Cool your shit, man, I didn't say the game was bad, it's actually pretty decent and I posted a full review of it in the actual RXN thread, but the game's not good enough to buy it AGAIN for a second time, at full price. I don't have the archaic mindset that I have to own every game physically because it's just not the reality anymore and digital is far more convenient in many ways.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Azure Reflections (or Touhou Azure Reflections, not sure which is official name) is out today at least on EU eShop. It's new for the list.

Btw. Vasara HD collection (1, 2) was announced for 2019 release last spring (https://nintendoeverything.com/vasara-h ... or-switch/) if you want to add those to the list.