Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by BrianC »

EmperorIng wrote:Do we know if the Namcot JPN Collections are multi-language, at least for the menus?
Play-Asia says it is and the free version with one game definitely supports English. Menus are fully in English, but manual for Wagan Land is untranslated, just like the game itself. Boss fights are similar to Yo Noid in that they are mini game fights, but the mini game is picture based with the text that tells you which on to pick in Japanese. I'm not sure if the download version is back up yet. The JP download version was taken down due to a bug that gave people who purchased a game for the collection the wrong game. I have enough coins for one of them, so I'll see if I can buy Star Luster or Family Jockey when the DLC is back up.

What's interesting is that, according to the steam forum, Splatterhouse FC in the US version of the collection has been translated, though the title screen is still in Japanese.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the info! I might order the physical of vol 1 or 2 to avoid any DLC bugs. I don't know why they have to remove the cool window dressing for the USA release, and region exclusives are a real boil on our collective asses.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Phellan Wolf wrote: Those are old news mind you. I hope they show up soon.
Have they been confirmed as switch release before ? it was new news to me atleast.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

CRP wrote:
Phellan Wolf wrote: Those are old news mind you. I hope they show up soon.
Have they been confirmed as switch release before ? it was new news to me atleast.
If you have read the linked news it is an old post from april the 18th wich makes it almost 2 months old now.
endali

Post by endali »

Azure Reflections is on sale, anyone have a comment on whether or not this is worth picking up? Asking for funsies because lets be real i'm gona buy it regardless because I have no self control
Marc

Post by Marc »

The fact that the Toaplan ports are part of the ShotTriggers series concerns me a little. I'm sure the price of the others has a lot to do with their lack of success. I'd rather a more bare-bones ports at ACA/Ages-type prices if I'm honest.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

endali wrote:Azure Reflections is on sale, anyone have a comment on whether or not this is worth picking up? Asking for funsies because lets be real i'm gona buy it regardless because I have no self control
I have it. It's cool. Its a horizontal Touhou. I could live without the "Danmaku Rush" mechanic but overall I think its pretty good.
BIL

Post by BIL »

NMK's P-45: The Phantom Fighter is out tomorrow on Arcade Archives, for PS4 and Switch. I'd never played this one, but following a quick test run, it's quite apparently the prequel to USAAF Mustang, which I'm a big fan of via its Mega Drive conversion "Fire Mustang." Doesn't seem quite as immediately foot-to-the-floor as that one, but it's got the same simple charm, and actually has some varied stage topography too. I wonder if it's got the same hellish rank... even the MD cart gets angry if you've not dropped any lives by stage 5 or so, haha.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Supposedly Mustang was even going to be called P-51 originally (as the real Mustang is, like the Thunderbolt is P-47). P-47's quite rough in comparison (implementation-wise), but you can extremely tell how fundamental it is to the rest of NMK's catalog, so it's worth a look if just to see how The NMK Style developed from its roots :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just coming back to post that whoa, holy fuck, it definitely picks up by stage 2 :shock: Yeah this is a definite pickup for me! Here's hoping Mustang and P45 Aces show up sometime too.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

47!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, sorry. :mrgreen: Damn thing's right in front of me in MAME, even.

EDIT: aw nice, ACA ver uses their 10/15/20/30hz variable autofire. Seems it's become the standard, as it should be.

Watching the rolling demo reminded me that it'd only been a year or so since R-Type's benchmark "Huge Battleship." Big nasty bugger truly captures the aesthetic of 1943's naval attacks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arcade Archives: Koutetsu Yousai Strahl is out tomorrow for PS4 and Switch. Very pleased! Always thought its mildly chibi WAR & PAIN grimdark looked super cool, and it's composed by Yoshio Nagashima, who did Biometal (SFC)'s singularly melancholic soundtrack. UPL always gets my attention.

edit: after a quick spin in MAME, picking this up for sure. st1's a bit mild, but st2's eminently bombable midboss parades, st3's snipertank-infested city, and st4's vicious battleship raid won me over. Latter makes it clear how agile and powerful the default ship is, and that you're expected to make full use of it or else. Special mention to those asshole VTOLs that love to hang around, reminded me of Kyuukyoku Tiger's more maddening zako helis. I like the hybrid of Gradius and Tiger Heli-styled bombs, too. Former's articulation, latter's impact.

Nice dis @ credit feeders in the stage clear tally, bahaha!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BIL wrote:Arcade Archives: Koutetsu Yousai Strahl is out tomorrow for PS4 and Switch.
On the ps4 side it I'm only finding this on the Japan store, if anyone else goes looking for it. Love that mega huge bomb.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hell yeah, I'm loving the visual overload... not as surreal as Ark Area or Mutant Night, but similarly generous with the pixel confetti. :mrgreen: Some points in st2 are absolutely swimming in chunky wreckage and screen-obliterating splosions.

Solid archetypal 16bit-era hori with an emphasis on loadout and Option mechanics, like a roid-raging Whip Rush. Really digging st4's relentless pincer pressure, ferocious Hyuge Battleship stage. Boss's TFIII reference was cute! Love st3 too, as a sniper tank aficionado always glad to see them make the jump to horis. Relentless little buggers.

Def a bit of a Mutron vibe from this big fucker though.

Coulda used a third button for turrets, but it's easily worked around. Not sure what the difference is between Old and New versions? I'd thought the latter was slightly tougher, but then I went at st2's battleship parade with Fat Lazor and Spread BOMBA and they went down just as quick.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Oh man, this one is SO GOOD. A lot of these Hamster releases are neat as a historical archive, but the super old games are fairly rough. Strahl though is a freaking blast.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

These are the types of games I hope we see more of in the future. More modern games from the 90's or late 80's.
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

I love my switch, there is a ton of shooters on it and probably a lot more coming up.

all the previous nintendo console are lacking shmups in comparison.

I think only the nes had quite a lot of shooters... super nes had maybe 10-15 shooters ?... nintendo 64 had almost none... gamecube not so much... wii had some but not that many... wiiu I don't know but I think it was lacking too.

gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, nintendo ds and 3ds had almost zero shmups.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I've been playing a good amount of Strahl the last couple of days, and while I'm improving my runs, it's very much a "wtf killed me?" kind of game. The bullets are tiny, some of the smallest in any game, and they blend into the massive explosions going off all around you. It's frustrating, as it's otherwise a really fun game.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jonpachi wrote:I've been playing a good amount of Strahl the last couple of days, and while I'm improving my runs, it's very much a "wtf killed me?" kind of game. The bullets are tiny, some of the smallest in any game, and they blend into the massive explosions going off all around you. It's frustrating, as it's otherwise a really fun game.
Yeah feeling this. Particularly the third stage, between the colour scheme (very Last Resort), the tiny bullets and the screen-sized explosions, I very quickly got over any guilt I felt for using the shield. the levels seem to get longer as you progress as well.

I do like it through when a game pops up that I've never seen or heard of before though, especially at AA places.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Arcade Archives sale until August 5

ACA NeoGeo Aero Fighters 2 – $3.99 (was $7.99)
Arcade Archives Armed F – $3.99 (was $7.99)
Arcade Archives Atomic Robo-Kid – $3.99 (was $7.99)
Arcade Archives Terra Cresta – $3.99 (was $7.99)
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

1993 Shenandoah came out not long ago... it got a very Amiga/Genesis look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LYKMVZUw4
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sad to say, the demo isn't very good. It plays a lot like an Amiga shooter....
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arcade Archives: Trigon is out tomorrow for PS4 and Switch. :cool: Hardcore KonaPlan with super-rugged Raiden-prefiguring style, and killer tunes from Michiru Yamane and Kenichi Matsubara. Images from Famitsu:

Image Image

Image Image

Been looking forward to this just as eagerly as its hardware stablemate Sunset Riders!
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Been waiting for this one forever. Looks really rad!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just remembered Raiden is up for ACA release too. A good time for fans of granite-jawed near-futuristic xenomilitary Toaplan riffs! Would be some quality cosmic synergy if their blueprints Hishouzame and Kyuukyoku Tiger show up this year too. :mrgreen:

---

Trigon WR holder Tsuiimaru gives PS4 ver his blessing. Damn son. Image
malc
Site Admin

Post by malc »

Just got Trigon there - and its really nice to revisit it again. It has an option for a reduced hitbox which really changes how it plays - now you can nip between bullets where you'd never try before. Japanese version is the best - here's why: http://www.shmups.com/reviews/trigon/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just noticed the Hi Score mode lets you filter by autofire on, autofire off, or both combined - a really nice addition, as usually ACA HS mode just bans autofire full-stop (while leaving the door open for hardware solutions). Much user-friendlier this way!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

No Vash the Stampede, no buy! ;)
Spoiler
Joking aside, I just bought it right after I posted that.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BIL wrote:Arcade Archives: Trigon is out tomorrow for PS4 and Switch. :cool: Hardcore KonaPlan with super-rugged Raiden-prefiguring style, and killer tunes from Michiru Yamane and Kenichi Matsubara. Images from Famitsu:

Image Image

Image Image

Been looking forward to this just as eagerly as its hardware stablemate Sunset Riders!
I so remember this game back in the arcades when I was a kid!!! :shock:

Maybe its time for me to log onto the PSN store :mrgreen: