Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by BIL »

ACA Trigon announced! For PS4 and Switch. Really happy about this - they've already made a good start on orphaned 80s Konami STGs with A-JAX and Flak Attack. Here's hoping Gemini Wing comes through, too.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Gemini Wing and Sunset Riders are two games from childhood. My mom would bring me to the local chippie every payday as a trear and they had a Sunset Riders cab. Good memories.

Gemini Wing used to kick my ass on my Amstrad. Not such good memories :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've an odd, mythologised relationship with Sunset Riders. I remember playing its 4P mode on a massive projector display on holiday as a little kid, and its 16bit conversions never got JP releases, so it's remained this monstrous outsized thing in my mind. I like to sustain those sorts of childhood arcade illusions, makes finally playing the games at home a little event in itself. :mrgreen:
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Anyone tried Red Death yet? EastAsiaSoft is publishing it, so I expect a physical version will likely show up on Play-Asia at some point. I'm not sure if they're intentionally going for a Virtual Boy gimmick or not, but it looks like a decent little game for the price based on the short video in the eshop.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
guigui

Post by guigui »

Jonpachi wrote:Anyone tried Red Death yet? EastAsiaSoft is publishing it, so I expect a physical version will likely show up on Play-Asia at some point. I'm not sure if they're intentionally going for a Virtual Boy gimmick or not, but it looks like a decent little game for the price based on the short video in the eshop.
Graphics have a strong Zero Ranger vibe to them. I looked at some gameplay video and it feels euroshmup, as in not enough time/firepower to destroy everything.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

guigui wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Anyone tried Red Death yet? EastAsiaSoft is publishing it, so I expect a physical version will likely show up on Play-Asia at some point. I'm not sure if they're intentionally going for a Virtual Boy gimmick or not, but it looks like a decent little game for the price based on the short video in the eshop.
Graphics have a strong Zero Ranger vibe to them. I looked at some gameplay video and it feels euroshmup, as in not enough time/firepower to destroy everything.
Yep it's exactly as it felt playing it. The weapons lack any oomph to be really viable, apart from the laser which is overpowered. It doesn't help that everything on the screen is red and white, bullets and collectibles included. It gets a little confusing.

It seems ok for the price but ZeroRanger is the better game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

hamfighterx wrote:
clippa wrote:
CRP wrote:Q-YO Blaster out 27/6

Looks fun anyone played it here ?
30fps.
It looks nice, but it's pretty crappy, to be honest. Very boring, you'll play through it once. Wait for a sale.
So, it's on sale now for $6.67 in the US Switch eshop (33% off)... I'm kinda tempted due to the nice looking graphics and some surprisingly consistent positive reviews on Steam. Seems like something very much in the vein of Harmful Park or Parodius, which I can get behind. But if it's as bad as clippa says, maybe not worth the time.

Anyone else played it and have quick impressions?
I'm asking again for some impressions about Q-Yo Blaster. Currently -90% on EU eshop.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Panzer Dragoon finally dropped from out of the blue

7gb! I have to make some room... Although Limited Run starts taking physical pre-orders tomorrow

Space Invaders Collection is available in the jp e-shop which is making me crazy because my SE is going to take forever to arrive. :cry:
velo

Post by velo »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Space Invaders Collection is available in the jp e-shop which is making me crazy because my SE is going to take forever to arrive. :cry:
I'm on corona austerity, what's the usual turnaround time for this kind of thing to make it to the US eshop? I know I could just buy it from the Japanese one but... I kinda don't wanna.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Wayforward's Cat Girl Without Salad is out now on the eshop. Definitely checking this out after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
guigui

Post by guigui »

Jonpachi wrote:Wayforward's Cat Girl Without Salad is out now on the eshop. Definitely checking this out after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
What the ... ?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

So, sadly, this game sucks. There are only 3 levels, and you play each as a discrete chapter so there's not even the potential for a full run through the game. It's absurdly easy, and the weapon system is horrible. All the would-be power-ups are just dumb gimmicks, and I found myself just avoiding them after a while and sticking with the default "pea shooter". It's cheap, but you'll also beat it in 15 minutes and never want to play it again.
YoniArousement

Cat Girl Without Substance

Post by YoniArousement »

Jonpachi wrote:All the would-be power-ups are just dumb gimmicks, and I found myself just avoiding them after a while and sticking with the default "pea shooter".
That's exactly how I felt about the power-ups when I played the game. I know the game's supposed to be a joke but I didn't find most of the guns to be too useful. Their damage output doesn't seem to compensate their lower firing rate. The Golf Gun and the Mega Man Gun in particular seem to stand out as the worst "power-ups" in the game. Oh, and the issue I have with Puzzle Bobble Gun is that the projectiles stick to each other just like Puzzle Bobble, so you can't really use it to wail on enemies and bosses.

I've been longing to play the game ever since I heard of it, thinking that it would be released on Steam, but I could never find it. It wasn't until it was ported to the Switch that I finally got to play it.

This might be one of the easiest shmups I ever played. I'd imagine anyone with even half way decent dodging skills could go through the whole game without dying, since it's generous with health items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNC1XTCDF4o
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Jonpachi wrote:So, sadly, this game sucks. There are only 3 levels, and you play each as a discrete chapter so there's not even the potential for a full run through the game. It's absurdly easy, and the weapon system is horrible. All the would-be power-ups are just dumb gimmicks, and I found myself just avoiding them after a while and sticking with the default "pea shooter". It's cheap, but you'll also beat it in 15 minutes and never want to play it again.
Yeah, I think it makes a lot more sense as the Humble monthly bundle free game it was made as instead of something you pay $10 for. Easier to take it as a short novelty if you're not paying for it on its own.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Some April Fools jokes should stay as April Fools Day jokes.
YoniArousement

Cat Girl Without Salad

Post by YoniArousement »

So I played through the last stage. The only gun power-up I found somewhat useful was the Ms. Pac-Man gun as it can deal multiple hits to enemies while it's out. You can control it with the shoot buttons based on their position. The RPG gun wouldn't be so bad if I could avoid trading hits when I use it. I still died to the 2nd boss and the 3rd stage (but not its boss, though).

After beating the last stage, you unlock the ability to cycle through the weapons. But I don't really think this game has that much replay value for $7.99. I could buy something like King of Fighters '98 or Aero Fighters 2 with that money.
Phellan Wolf

Re: Cat Girl Without Salad

Post by Phellan Wolf »

YoniArousement wrote:So I played through the last stage. The only gun power-up I found somewhat useful was the Ms. Pac-Man gun as it can deal multiple hits to enemies while it's out. You can control it with the shoot buttons based on their position. The RPG gun wouldn't be so bad if I could avoid trading hits when I use it. I still died to the 2nd boss and the 3rd stage (but not its boss, though).

After beating the last stage, you unlock the ability to cycle through the weapons. But I don't really think this game has that much replay value for $7.99. I could buy something like King of Fighters '98 or Aero Fighters 2 with that money.
That is the point, the price is the april’s fool joke :lol:
YoniArousement

Cat Girl Without Salad

Post by YoniArousement »

I found my favorite thing to do in the game: Abusing the weapon switch.
After unlocking the Gun Cartridge Mode A and B, Gun Mode A lets you retrieve lost Gun Cartridges a la Kirby and Gun Mode B lets you switch weapons at any time.

However, you can switch weapons even while your bullets are on screen, which cancels them out. So you can abuse the weapon switch to damage high-HP enemies and bosses faster. I just keep spamming the Ms. Pac-Man gun over and over. Normally that gun has a delay before it can deal subsequent hits, but if you cancel it, you can fire it again to hit enemies. It kinda reminds me of Contra III.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

By the way LRGAMES is goin to launch a physical release of Black Bird and will take preooreers startin on April the 10th
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

There's a way shady physical edition of Rolling Gunner proposed by a company that's doing a "we'll produce them once we get enough pre-orders/money for the run" thing (pretty much what dispatch does, but admitting it up-front)

I will sleep better at night not providing a link. But it's out there if you want it...

RE Black Bird
I love that game, but $35 extra for a soundtrack CD and a (not even very large) poster? No thanks.

Not to mention, just the game in a box costs $15 more than the digital... With times being how they are, I'm thinking there's no hurry to grab one. Dare I say you may be able to wait for a sale?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

this seems as good a thread as any to mention that the latest OS update adds a universal button remapping feature

so if there's any games you've been avoiding because they didn't include a controller configuration option, well, it seems that won't be an issue anymore
guigui

Post by guigui »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:this seems as good a thread as any to mention that the latest OS update adds a universal button remapping feature
Latest OS not there for me yet, weird ? How does the universal remapping work ?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

My sister's been monopolizing the Switch for Animal Crossing so I don't know yet, either :lol:

screenshots in this Twitter thread should show it well enough, I suppose
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1249855818935046144

ah fuck, I didn't catch the caveat in one of the later posts about not all controller types being supported! So I guess depending on what you play your Switch games with button remapping can still be a problem.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

ah fuck, I didn't catch the caveat in one of the later posts about not all controller types being supported!
Only the joy-cons and the Pro pad...
I only use the joy-cons portably. At home I use the hori mini-stick, and a universal Xbox clone. Oh well... The hori mini-stick may work...
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

According to Gematsu it looks like ThunderForce AC is going to receive the Sega Ages treatment on the switch. It is going to be based on the Saturn version. That is a great piece of news though a mode of the Megadrive version would be nice since I much prefer the levels in the original over those two coming from TFII in the AC version. We’ll see
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arcade Archives: Plus Alpha is out now on Switch. A pleasant surprise all-around, this! I'd not heard of it, Jaleco never being my strong suit, and AFAIK it wasn't yet scheduled for release. Presumably what Hamster meant about the CERO pandemic closure shaking up their calendar.

Seems very likeable at a glance, like a cute and slightly user-friendlier Toaplanesque. Base speed and firepower are comfy, with instant bombs, but there's lots of nasty sniping from the outset with a healthy ground force. st2's cloudy naval battle sold me, can't resist that old standard. :cool: It's rare that I really get into a Jaleco game, but I'll nab the PS4 one whenever it shows up ("coming soon," per Hamster).

Incidentally, I think that's all of the original Game Tengoku's pilots represented on ACA now? Even Buta-san's got his game up, haha. Also roll on Cybattler and Lord of King.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

We still await the return of Momoko 120% on modern platforms (or any platforms), BIL! Though will gamers be brave enough to guide that poor girl to her destined nuptials??
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahhh fook! Guess Cybattler and [He-Man X Giger: The Barbarianing] are gonna have to wait, Hamster are really squeezing that finely aged (*cough* like a cheese!) mid-80s Jaleco catalogue. It'll show up within the year, I bet. :shock: :wink:
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
ah fuck, I didn't catch the caveat in one of the later posts about not all controller types being supported!
Only the joy-cons and the Pro pad...
I only use the joy-cons portably. At home I use the hori mini-stick, and a universal Xbox clone. Oh well... The hori mini-stick may work...
well, I tried my Official Gamecube Controller Adapter, Mayflash F300 stick, and Bliss-Box adapter... all were considered "USB controllers" and thus not supported. Dammit Nintendo, always with the cock-teases!
CRP

Post by CRP »

ARC Plus Alpha Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroN67tbAlg
Phellan Wolf wrote:According to Gematsu it looks like ThunderForce AC is going to receive the Sega Ages treatment on the switch. It is going to be based on the Saturn version. That is a great piece of news though a mode of the Megadrive version would be nice since I much prefer the levels in the original over those two coming from TFII in the AC version. We’ll see
Arcade Mode

– Faithfully ported from the original arcade version of Thunder Force AC
– Arcade Mode is the main mode of the SEGA Ages version
– Based on the SEGA Saturn version of Thunder Force III, but with reconstructed game balance
– Some stages have been changed to new stages different from Thunder Force III
– Four playable ships, which will unlock based on your gameplay results
– By setting the version to “New” in the options, the mode will play based on the overseas version, increasing the performance of your ship

Kids Mode

– An easy mode for those who find Arcade Mode too difficult
– Higher attack power here
– Won’t lose your weapons if your ship is destroyed

Leaderboards

– Two leaderboards for each of the four ships
– “Expert” leaderboards are for when the game is played in the initial settings of Arcade Mode (old version, normal difficulty, three lives, etc.)
– “Freestyle” leaderboards are for when the settings have been changed

Ships

– Choose from four ships
– The ship can be selected from the menu screen
– This is possible in both Arcade Mode and Kids Mode
– Fire Leo-03 Styx: highly mobile fighter developed by the efforts of the Galaxy Federation; small but its firepower rivals that of a large battleship; only ship you can choose at first; weapons include Tin Shot (Sever), Back Fire (Lancer), Wave, Fire, and Hunter—and can equip the Claw and Shield
– Fire Leo-03MP Styx Mass Product: Mass Product-type Styx that appears in Thunder Force IV; technical ship with enhanced backfire when changing speed, which can be used to attack and obtain a high score; by adding a button setting, you can use a “Roll” attack when the Claw is equipped
– Fire Leo-04 Rynex: main ship from Thunder Force IV, and the next-generation of super highly efficient fighters; weapons include Twin Shot (Blade), Back Shot (Rail Gun), Snake, Free Way, and Hunter—and can equip the Claw and Shield
– Fire Leo-o4 Rynex (Equipped with Thunder Sword): Rynex equipped with the ultimate weapon, which appears in the latter half of the Thunder Force IV story; along with the Rynex equipment, you can fire the “Thunder Sword” (the ultimate weapon) by equipping the Thunder Claw

SEGA Ages Features

– Save and watch replays
– Watch replays of advanced players from the leaderboards
– Sound has been converted to stereo (though some is monaural)
– HD Rumble feature can be turned on or off in the settings
– The screen settings can also be changed to the CRT-like “Vintage” mode, arcade atmosphere-like “Cabinet” mode, and more