Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:Picked it up on PS4 as well. It's a good sign when the game has been out a few hours and someone already has 1.4 million in hi-score mode (that's pretty ridiculous), it means people who know what they are doing can pick it up and do just as well.
Excellent. Image

And wow, this is good. :o Always liked the PS1 version, but it's been a long time since I filed it in the rainy day stack. Currently revisiting the Metal Slugs... this definitely doesn't share their sleepier opening stages, some aggressive STG fundamentals in demand from the outset. Liking the pointblank guard on those mines, encouraging aggressive nose-to-nose demolitions.

The push-scroll seems like it'll make replays interesting. I kept getting in way over my head right from stage 1, and forgetting I had the option of letting off the throttle. Spent some time figuring out how to bring down the st1 heavy bomber without stopping or running into something. :mrgreen: Reminds me a lot of Battle Formula (FC - full throttle will relentlessly tripwire new players, but as a longer-term performance piece it really pays off).

"Metal Sub" aside (hey it's the bisected tanker from Absolute Thick Forest), the Sqoon and Moon Patrol resemblances are neat. The water/air attack dichotomy is very cool, can't recall seeing that elsewhere. Stunning looks, needless to say (Nazca POW Armours Image), but again I'd forgotten that badass soundtrack. Stage 2 BGM stomps heads. Channels that punky YUSHICOPS aggression into lockstep martial beat, apropos URGENT ORDER.

Stage 2 BGM of Kaitei Daisensou, at least. Went to grab a link and apparently The Channel is Stage 3 of In The Hunt? I think there's a typo on the PSN store page, because while it stresses this includes only KD, In The Hunt is right there at the title screen.

Spoiler

I hope it won't disappear or anything, haha. Maybe it's a Google Translate error.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

OH MAN, this has been on my "Why don't I have a goddamn copy of In the Hunt in my collection???" list forever! I had this way back on PSone, but sold it off for whatever reason and have always missed it. It's so fun to see the early days of the Nazca team figuring out the absurdly detailed animations and patterns that would come to define them. It's not nearly as tight as the Slugs, but how many sub shmups do we even have? Sqoon? For $8 vs the price of a Saturn or PSone copy... Insta-buy!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I downloaded the Switch version last night and gave it a quick credit. Like most ACA stuff on the Switch, there's recognizable input lag, but it seems that Hamster have tried to mitigate the issue by overclocking the game slightly (they did something similar with the Switch release of Metal Slug). The game runs much faster than the PCB although there is still slowdown in some spots (but nowhere as severe as the original hardware). I didn't turn on autofire but will try it next time I play (interested to see if it's 'capped' or 'uncapped').
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Kiken wrote:I downloaded the Switch version last night and gave it a quick credit. Like most ACA stuff on the Switch, there's recognizable input lag, but it seems that Hamster have tried to mitigate the issue by overclocking the game slightly (they did something similar with the Switch release of Metal Slug). The game runs much faster than the PCB although there is still slowdown in some spots (but nowhere as severe as the original hardware). I didn't turn on autofire but will try it next time I play (interested to see if it's 'capped' or 'uncapped').
It does seem to be In the Hunt: Turbo Hyper Fighting Edition, but the lag didn't bother me too much so far. There are three auto-fire options, and it has a warning that you may experience slowdown if you use them. So far, the middle setting seems the best, and I do intend to use it as I am too old to smash buttons on a tiny Switch controller for hours on end and not pay for it later.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jonpachi wrote:It does seem to be In the Hunt: Turbo Hyper Fighting Edition, but the lag didn't bother me too much so far. There are three auto-fire options, and it has a warning that you may experience slowdown if you use them. So far, the middle setting seems the best, and I do intend to use it as I am too old to smash buttons on a tiny Switch controller for hours on end and not pay for it later.
The input lag isn't quite so intrusive due to the overall slower nature of the game. That said, it is still there. As for the autofire, it's capped. No crazy uncapped autofire like in the Playstation port (3 green explosive torpedoes on screen simultaneously creating a veritable wall of destruction).
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Kiken wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:It does seem to be In the Hunt: Turbo Hyper Fighting Edition, but the lag didn't bother me too much so far. There are three auto-fire options, and it has a warning that you may experience slowdown if you use them. So far, the middle setting seems the best, and I do intend to use it as I am too old to smash buttons on a tiny Switch controller for hours on end and not pay for it later.
The input lag isn't quite so intrusive due to the overall slower nature of the game. That said, it is still there. As for the autofire, it's capped. No crazy uncapped autofire like in the Playstation port (3 green explosive torpedoes on screen simultaneously creating a veritable wall of destruction).
After playing some more today, the slowdown seems fairly inconsistent; I've had some games where it runs smoothly, and some where it just crawls. I've had auto-fire on from the beginning, so I don't know if it's weapon-specific or just a thing. It's not game-breaking, as your ship movement is still pretty reliable even when slow, but it does DIP to pretty ridiculous levels.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kiken wrote:I downloaded the Switch version last night and gave it a quick credit. Like most ACA stuff on the Switch, there's recognizable input lag, but it seems that Hamster have tried to mitigate the issue by overclocking the game slightly (they did something similar with the Switch release of Metal Slug). The game runs much faster than the PCB although there is still slowdown in some spots (but nowhere as severe as the original hardware). I didn't turn on autofire but will try it next time I play (interested to see if it's 'capped' or 'uncapped').
Apologies for the OT, but do you know if the PS4 ACA Metal Slug fared any better? Away from all my stuff ATM, save for a PS4 slim I got specifically for The Ninja Warriors Once Again. Picked up a few ACAs for the hell of it, enjoyed MS1 so much I just got my first no-miss (I was an MS3 baby :oops:). Was actually wondering if the slowdown was too generous at points (mowing through paratroopers during Final Mission's fantastic voyage), but MVS footage seems to line up. As with ACA Saigo no Nindou and VS Castlevania, I looked for input lag, but eventually found that doing so was itself tripping me up at critical points... it's completely un-scientific, but that's the point where I'll just get on with things. Looking forward to trying these emulations on a dedicated monitor and arcade stick, currently rocking a random flatscreen optimised for watching Maury and the spongy DS4.

I do notice a minor audio glitch at the first boss, a very specific bit of static that always occurs around the same point of the BGM. I wonder if it's to do with the ambient sound of the waterfall, assuming it's not something on my end.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Kiken wrote:No crazy uncapped autofire like in the Playstation port (3 green explosive torpedoes on screen simultaneously creating a veritable wall of destruction).
I didn't remember this at all and I had to check it out. Yes, that's a hilarious wall of death. :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I thought it was just my memory playing tricks when it felt faster than the original I have tried couple of times at the local arcade! I think it's better game like this actually, the original was a bit too slow paced to my liking.

IMO, that input lag is very decent in this release on Switch, I at least didn't feel to be in any disadvantage compared to the original (like you said, slower paced game). I actually think it feels better than some other ACA Hamster releases (which I think are not perfect, but usually good enough to be enjoyable). I might get it for PS4 at some point too, which I would expect to have maybe 1 frame less lag or something like that.

As for the slowdown, the original hardware had it so plenty ( if I remember correctly), so I was expecting this release to have it too if it tries to be anywhere close to original. One thing I don't like with this and especially NG games like Blazing Star and Pulsar, is the ability to manipulate the amount of slowdown with using auto-fire and certain attacks/weapons to gain advantage in tight spots. I much prefer that Cave style where, even if you can manipulate it a bit yourself, it's more about enemies and enemy fire or or just built into specific spots.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I noticed that ACA Neogeo Metal Slug 1 was updated recently on Switch, but I'm not sure what was changed.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It's been a minute, but I kinda forgot how broken this game (In the Hunt) is. Stage 3 and 4 bosses both have total safe zones where you're basically invincible so long as you take your time and have the right weapon. It's still a fun little classic, but fundamentally it's quite flawed. I wish I had a PCB or console port to compare the Switch port to, as there are moments where it just CRAWLS, but I can't tell if that's the auto-fire or the emulation.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown updated on the PS4 too. Looks like it was to add more mappable buttons to the button config. I'm not sure of the differences between PS4 and Switch and didn't notice a difference in speed (need to do a closer comparison).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BrianC wrote:I noticed that ACA Neogeo Metal Slug 1 was updated recently on Switch, but I'm not sure what was changed.
Ver 1.0.2? It's where they overclocked the game to try and fix the input lag. The game now runs much faster than the MVS/AES cart versions and it feels a tad more responsive (still not as responsive as original hardware though).
digitron

Post by digitron »

Anyone know if the M2 esp ra.de. switch release will be on the nintendo eshop or do you have to buy physical?
NikuKun

Post by NikuKun »

digitron wrote:Anyone know if the M2 esp ra.de. switch release will be on the nintendo eshop or do you have to buy physical?
It will be on the Japanese eShop. It is already up for pre download:

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000020461
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Any chances of this ever making its way to overseas USA/EU eshops?
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

werk91 wrote:Any chances of this ever making its way to overseas USA/EU eshops?
I think there is a change based on what is happening with the Darius collection, which is getting western releases (over a year later though I think). Looks like it's not going to be right away though so I'm definitely getting the japan release myself.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

A couple of days ago, Arcade Archives: Twinbee released on the US eshop.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
CRP

Post by CRP »

How do ppl here buy games on jap estore ? possible to pay with paypal or whats the preferd/simplest way ?
Setting up the account seams easy but the buying part i havent found any good solution to yet.
Thanks
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

How do ppl here buy games on jap estore ? possible to pay with paypal or whats the preferd/simplest way ?
I've always just bought jp e-shop cards from play-asia. The merk-up is minor and they can be used instantly.

But then again, I'm in the US. I'm not sure that would work for you
CRP

Post by CRP »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
I've always just bought jp e-shop cards from play-asia. The merk-up is minor and they can be used instantly.
Cool thanks, that seams be pretty easy solution.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The x-mas, I'll be giving myself the gift of Demon's Tilt for the Switch

As a big fan of both pinball (and specifically Dragon's Fury/Devil's Crush) AND shooters. I've really been looking forward to this one (I know I could have had it for PC, but for some reason, I really dislike playing pinball on mu cpu. Go figure...)

Hey, doesn't someone around here have something to do with this one?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:The x-mas, I'll be giving myself the gift of Demon's Tilt for the Switch

As a big fan of both pinball (and specifically Dragon's Fury/Devil's Crush) AND shooters. I've really been looking forward to this one (I know I could have had it for PC, but for some reason, I really dislike playing pinball on mu cpu. Go figure...)

Hey, doesn't someone around here have something to do with this one?
So stoked for this one! Day one purchase for sure. Devil's Crush is still untouched as a video pinball game. It was so frustrating when they remade Alien Crush on the Wii but not Devil's...
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop site dated 12-19-2019, Chorus Worldwide has snagged the North American rights to distribute and publish the Sisters Royale STG (from developer Alfa Systems Co. Ltd). It'll be released digitally on 1/30/2020 with a mere 322mb d/l at best and priced at an attractive pricepoint of $13.99 USD.

So that makes two high profile STGs to be released on the USA region Switch eShop during the month of January 2020 including the upcoming Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha STG release out on 1/21/2020.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
CRP

Post by CRP »

out at some point in 2020

Arcade Archives: XX Mission (been waiting for this one to come out)
Arcade Archives Saint Dragon

https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/12/18 ... to-switch/
CRP

Post by CRP »

On sale: Thunder Force IV £2.99* till 2 jan
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Some work here and there in the list
Working in the japanese language achievement
BIL

Post by BIL »

CRP wrote:out at some point in 2020

Arcade Archives: XX Mission (been waiting for this one to come out)
Arcade Archives Saint Dragon

https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/12/18 ... to-switch/
Curious about XX Mission - Saint Dragon's rep doesn't encourage me, though I've always been intrigued by its power metal album cover look.

And now that I think of it, some of those same guys who hate it dislike stuff I'm madly into, so fuck it. :lol:

Regardless, I do like seeing more Jaleco-published stuff. Makes me hopeful Cybattler and non-STG The Lord of King will arrive at some point.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Has anyone tried NAMCO MUSEUM , how is the lag ?
it on sale now in eu 75% off
https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Nintendo ... #_bersicht
https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Nintendo ... ml#Galerie