Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FRO

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by FRO »

BIL wrote:Curious about XX Mission - Saint Dragon's rep doesn't encourage me, though I've always been intrigued by its power metal album cover look.

And now that I think of it, some of those same guys who hate it dislike stuff I'm madly into, so fuck it. :lol:

Regardless, I do like seeing more Jaleco-published stuff. Makes me hopeful Cybattler and non-STG The Lord of King will arrive at some point.
I like Saint Dragon a lot. It's very old school, slow paced, but has some neat ideas. The dragon's head is the hitbox, so you can often curve the body/tail around and do some cool things with blocking enemy fire, etc. like you can with the R-Type Force bits or pod. I think it's a little underrated, even if it's not wholly original. I like the soundtrack, as well.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
The x-mas, I'll be giving myself the gift of Demon's Tilt for the Switch

Jonpachi wrote:
So stoked for this one! Day one purchase for sure.
Just to update: It's awesome! And very addicting. But, there are bugs both large and small. The largest (and most noticeable) thus far is that it won't post any of my high scores to the global leaderboard except for the one I achieved the first day I had the game, which is more annoying than game-breaking or anything, Still, there doesn't seem to be any place to report bugs so I'm forced to just sort of hope somebody's aware and working on it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The dev is pretty active on twitter (search for Demon's Tilt), so if you have an account I would try there.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Oh, thank you. I don't do Twitter, but I know a gal who's also been playing the Switch version (and noticed a few bugs of her own) who does, so I'll ask her if she can forward my caveats along.

PS Your soundtrack is pretty goddamn dope. I'm especially into the high-hat panning and bassline of the theme track (although the loop point is off on the Switch version which I would file under "small bug" but I know would annoy the composer and is an easy fix).

Coming from me, that's actually saying a lot as I have a pretty low tolerance for faux-"antiqued" soundtracks. One of my problems is usually they go way overboard, in that the game looks like it's on the SNES, but the music sounds like a SID chip. But, your soundtrack sounds like it's really being produced by a Yamaha YM2612, which is a feat in of itself. Not to mention, the music is actually, y'know, good.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Detana!! TwinBee coming to Switch next week
https://nintendoeverything.com/arcade-a ... next-week/
CRP

Post by CRP »

Arcade Archives:
Detana!! TwinBee / Bells & Whistles
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 08133.html
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

It doesn't look like this has been covered in the table on the first page but do Raiden V and Caldrius have TATE?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Caladrius is a 4:3 game, tate mode is unnecessary.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Same with Raiden V. They're 'vertizontals.'

Did Sega Ages' Fantasy Zone ever release in the west?
CRP

Post by CRP »

EmperorIng wrote:Did Sega Ages' Fantasy Zone ever release in the west?
Next week Jan 23, 2020
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... ne-switch/
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

CRP wrote:Arcade Archives:
Been playing a bit of this recently. I recall trying it out on the PS1 Twinbee Deluxe Pack but I must have not given it much time. Really surprised at some of the backgrounds and boss animations here, Konami's art department did a great job here. Pity that bell sound effect is so annoying. Not sure how I feel about bells in general, as bouncing them to get the color you want is quite a bit of work during recoveries. Still once you get going and you're rolling in the 10k bells it gets a bit more gratifying.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised I guess, that the new Psikyo box set doesn't support previous save files. I had put 20 hours into Strikers 2 and had a rock hard Normal score chart (for my level anyways) and now I have to start all over. I guess I'll just play my original digital copy instead. BTW, Sol Divide sucked 15 years ago when I first played it, and it sucks now!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:
CRP wrote:Arcade Archives:
Been playing a bit of this recently. I recall trying it out on the PS1 Twinbee Deluxe Pack but I must have not given it much time. Really surprised at some of the backgrounds and boss animations here, Konami's art department did a great job here.
As goofy/cutesy as Twinbee is by nature, the backgrounds in Detana are genuinely stirring stuff. Grand sense of altitude and scale.

Just like Kaitei Daisensou, this seems to run like a champ (on PS4 as usual here). Super tight handling. Very promising start on the 90s for ACA! I hope they can get Parodius Da at some point. The Deluxe Pack conversion is excellent in its own right, but IIRC its difficulty isn't 1:1 to the infamously brutal PCB.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Bells & Whistles version forces 1 button play? There doesn't seem to be any way to set fire and bomb to separate buttons in that version (at least not in ACA).
BIL

Post by BIL »

A quick look at the game's Wikipedia says Bells & Whistles was always like that, but KLOV mentions separate Shot and Bomb buttons. I wonder. Offhand, given ACA's attention to detail and Konami's habit of altering overseas releases, sometimes very unfortunately (Thunder Cross & XEXEX), I'd be inclined to think wiki is right.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Don't they usually have the Japanese release as well? Most ACA titles have World and Japanese versions.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Can confirm the Japanese PS4 one includes Detana (JP) and Bells (US).

Indeed, I've never encountered an ACA release that didn't include the game's JP version (obviously excluding reverse-imports like VS Gradius, VS Castlevania and Renegade).
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote:The Bells & Whistles version forces 1 button play? There doesn't seem to be any way to set fire and bomb to separate buttons in that version (at least not in ACA).
In high score mode its seperate, cant you change the button setting in normal mode ( i havent check yet myself) ?

Both are up on estore now:

Arcade Archives: XX Mission
SEGA Ages Fantasy Zone

@jandrogo: Arcade Archives TwinBee, Galaga 88: NAMCO MUSEUM is missing on the list
VanishingVision

Post by VanishingVision »

I picked up AGES Fantasy Zone today and am very disappointed by something. The X button is locked as Start, and cannot be changed. Switch arcade sticks (I'm using the RAPV) have LP and MP as Y and X, respectively, so the traditional layout for shot and bomb cannot be used on a stick, because X/MP is unavailable. None of the other AGES games do this, and while I believe it has to do something with the additional functions in the Upa-Upa mode, it's rather frustrating. I wrote M2's support, but have no idea if I'll get a response.
Azathoth_0

Post by Azathoth_0 »

steveovig wrote:I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised I guess, that the new Psikyo box set doesn't support previous save files.
Has there been any news of Strikers 1999 getting an regular individual release?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

There's one (mediocre) shmup stage in 198X, which just launched on the Switch. I think Thunderforce 3/4 was their main inspiration. The sprite work is great in this title as a whole, but the actual games are fairly awful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywK4frAoPnc&t=5s
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
CRP

Post by CRP »

Dimension Drive £1.79(-85%)
Offer until: 09/02/2020
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... ml#Gallery

Good game ?
Rogo

Post by Rogo »

Any updates on the Cotton reboot? I know it hasn't been released in the US, but how about Japan?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Rogo wrote:Any updates on the Cotton reboot? I know it hasn't been released in the US, but how about Japan?
It got pushed back to Summer 2020. I for one an extremely excited. Flying witches and faeries are my *aesthetic*.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Rogo

Post by Rogo »

Special World wrote:
Rogo wrote:Any updates on the Cotton reboot? I know it hasn't been released in the US, but how about Japan?
It got pushed back to Summer 2020. I for one an extremely excited. Flying witches and faeries are my *aesthetic*.
Right, I've wanted to play a Cotton game for a while now. That general aesthetic has always appealed to me. Games like Deathsmiles, Twink Star Sprites, Magical Chase, etc

Sorry to hear the release date got pushed back though
guigui

Post by guigui »

CRP wrote:Dimension Drive £1.79(-85%)

Good game ?
I was wondering too. Anyone tried Dimension Drive ? Reviews are not excellent, but say the game does it job pretty well with the concept of 2 screens.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

guigui wrote:
CRP wrote:Dimension Drive £1.79(-85%)

Good game ?
I was wondering too. Anyone tried Dimension Drive ? Reviews are not excellent, but say the game does it job pretty well with the concept of 2 screens.
Personally, I didn't like it much. I couldn't get into the concept or the mission-based main mode.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Saint Dragon is out

Upcoming Arcade Archives
Gemini Wing
Salamander
Flak Attack
Formation Z
KiKi KaiKai
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

CRP wrote:Saint Dragon is out

Upcoming Arcade Archives
Gemini Wing
Salamander
Flak Attack
Formation Z
KiKi KaiKai
Oh man, some GEMS coming up!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

FRO wrote:
BIL wrote:Curious about XX Mission - Saint Dragon's rep doesn't encourage me, though I've always been intrigued by its power metal album cover look.

And now that I think of it, some of those same guys who hate it dislike stuff I'm madly into, so fuck it. :lol:

Regardless, I do like seeing more Jaleco-published stuff. Makes me hopeful Cybattler and non-STG The Lord of King will arrive at some point.
I like Saint Dragon a lot. It's very old school, slow paced, but has some neat ideas. The dragon's head is the hitbox, so you can often curve the body/tail around and do some cool things with blocking enemy fire, etc. like you can with the R-Type Force bits or pod. I think it's a little underrated, even if it's not wholly original. I like the soundtrack, as well.
Been enjoying this a lot! On stage 4 currently. I have a thing for cruel yet idiosyncratic, deceptively pliable STGs - the tail mechanic reminds me of Metal Black's improvised brawling. :mrgreen: Stage 3 is a hell of a rush with 30hz autofire, tearing up those ruthlessly aggressive mecha squads. And yeah, smooth OST for sure. NMK always deliver on style.
CRP wrote:Gemini Wing
Hell yes. Image I've been hoping they'd get onto that, with all the Tecmo goodies covered so far! Loved what I played of its trp_stgt appearance, some years back. That soundtrack too, goddamn.

Would be great to see Silkworm at some point, and Final Star Force as the 90s hopefully continue to gain presence.