Ikaruga coming to the Switch May 29th

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
japtor

Re: Ikaruga coming to the Switch May 29th

Post by japtor »

hail good sir wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:So how’s Ikaruga on the Switch? I owned the GameCube version since 2006, and I had the 360 version since 2012. I’m seriously considering getting this version because this is such a great game.
I only had time to play it briefly today but it seems to be based off the steam/nesica version and not the 360, judging from the fact that you can't damage the stage 2 boss early. So that's a good sign I guess. I'm always a little scared of nicalis, but so far so good. Still haven't played every stage yet, but everything I've done so far has worked like it should.
Paranoid about bugs so I haven’t gotten it yet, but saw someone complain about this (randomly occurring? Edit: apparently not random) one in stage 1, about 1:17 in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VmwVrnzYlE
Last edited by japtor on Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If you're talking about how it suddenly jumps to the wave beyond the clouds, that happens on the Steam version as well.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pmp

Post by pmp »

That's normal. Those are bonus enemies you get from clearing the previous wave fast enough; the faster you clear the longer they stay on screen.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Picked it up this morning. Plays pretty good very responsive. Was a little pricey but I used my gold coin points to save some money. Nice to have on the go with proper controls.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

pmp wrote:That's normal. Those are bonus enemies you get from clearing the previous wave fast enough; the faster you clear the longer they stay on screen.
Actually, since the player didn't entirely wipe out the previous enemy formation, those last two chains of enemies should not even be there..
japtor

Post by japtor »

Xer Xian wrote:
pmp wrote:That's normal. Those are bonus enemies you get from clearing the previous wave fast enough; the faster you clear the longer they stay on screen.
Actually, since the player didn't entirely wipe out the previous enemy formation, those last two chains of enemies should not even be there..
Yeah on looking at some other videos I’m just guessing it’s a bug that they appeared at all. Seems fine if you’re good/quick enough, or bad/slow enough, but I forget, is there an inbetween condition where only the white ones are supposed to show up? If so that seems to be the buggy part popping up.
pmp

Post by pmp »

So I tried this on the steam release and its the same. You don't have to kill all of the enemies in that wave for the bonus ships to appear, just a few near the end.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

After a recent sale, I now own my 5th copy of Ikaruga...

I'm looking for a little motivation to finally put some time into this game. And by that I mean a bit of friendly competition.
I'm not very good at it right now. Across the 5 versions that I own, I've probably spent a total of about 10hrs across 17 years, so...
Not looking for any pro-level competition yet. And I'll probably only play this switch version casually a few times a week before bed. But this time I'd like it to be consistent with a long term goal of steady improvement(seeing past level 3 boss?!). Currently I can consistently get B rank(approx 30 chains, 1million points) for area 1, so I have lots of room for improvement. Also, I probably won't be studying any strategy or anything like that beyond checking out someones replay here or there. But if the competition gets fun enough, who knows, maybe I'll get serious.

If anyone of a similar skill level wants to offer some casual competition(mostly chasing high-scores on area's 1 & 2 and hopefully 3), send me a friends request.
My Switch name is the same as my user name(an underscore for the space).
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

Apparently giving out my Nintendo User Name isn't enough.
I've overestimated Nintendo's ease-of-use when it comes to connecting with others online...

Friend Code: SW-0123-3022-7553
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
ciox

Post by ciox »

Nice.
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Tokyo-J wrote:Physical Version Incoming

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1139574498200395777
Any idea where they sell from online whenever a release date is announced? I find it hard to keep track these days. LimitedRunGames, FanGamer, etc.

Edit -- sorry, re read the article and it states that we dont know yet.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Nicalis stuff generally get wide retail releases, so it seems safe to assume it'll hit store shelves and not be an online exclusive. I'm hoping for a Mottled Dove keychain in keeping with their "day-one edition" swag traditions!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »