Gradius 2 Four Way 1cc Simultaneous Run

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Aggro Sky

Gradius 2 Four Way 1cc Simultaneous Run

Post by Aggro Sky »

Hey all, I got another vid for ya. This one is on the Famicom port of Gradius 2. Why the Famicom port? Well, my rule is only runs on real hardware, so Gradius 2 made more sense than trying to track down an arcade cabinet or paying for the somewhat expensive PC-Engine port. Besides, the NES/Famicom version of this game is AWESOME! It arguably has the best music of the bunch, and is it's own unique game in many ways. So I wanted to showcase it.

I started by recruiting 3 friends of mine to also 1cc the game with me. I did a side by side 1cc of the original Gradius on the NES last year, so this time I wanted to up the ante and do twice as many. Once we all completed our runs I edited them all together, paused the footage at each boss fight so the slowest guy could catch up, and added timers to keep track of our respective times, just for fun. I also rotated the audio between the 4 runs so the same persons audio wasn't playing throughout. I tried to keep it as seamless as I could.

I then rendered this portion of the run and the four of us recorded our commentary while watching in real time, all 4 runs together. Once that was complete, I spent the next month and a half ripping game sprites (almost none for the Famicom version of Gradius 2 are available online), creating custom layouts for each stage, animating every boss in the game, various enemies etc. I also recruited my frequent musical collaborator Julian to cover the track "Heavy Blow" which personally I think is the most epic sounding tune in the game. I took that track and made an animated intro using the game sprites, all in 4k.

Anyway, the video was a labor of love and a lot of work and fun, for all 5 of us who participated in it. I think most of you here in the SHMUP forums would probably enjoy it. It's the biggest vid I've released, in terms of pure work and time spent, since 2016. I hope everyone enjoys. And as always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCb7pNU ... ubk0h00410
FRO

Re: Gradius 2 Four Way 1cc Simultaneous Run

Post by FRO »

As I mentioned on Twitter last night, this was an awesome run, and lots of fun to watch!
Aggro Sky

Re: Gradius 2 Four Way 1cc Simultaneous Run

Post by Aggro Sky »

FRO wrote:As I mentioned on Twitter last night, this was an awesome run, and lots of fun to watch!
And as I mentioned before, I always appreciate you watching! Glad you enjoyed it :D