EP 32 Part 2: Shmups at AGDQ! TUNE IN AND SUPPORT, Jan 8th

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mark_MSX

EP 32 Part 2: Shmups at AGDQ! TUNE IN AND SUPPORT, Jan 8th

Post by Mark_MSX »

The 32nd episode of the show:
EP XXXII: Shmups at AGDQ! w/ Gus the Futari Master (Part 2), is complete!

Video of interview + Stunfest footage:

https://youtu.be/tipRl9nEOdY

Here is the link to the soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/user-306325657

SUPPORT GUS And SHMUPS AND TUNE IN FOR HIS RUN JANUARY 8th: Here is the stream schedule (it will auto adjust for your timezone):
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Part 2 of my interview with Gus.
In this second part, we talk about the different versions of Futari, Gus at Stunfest, and the opportunity for the genre to gain more exposure after Gus's demo at AGDQ.

Gus Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gusyphus2

Track 1 from Kof 2003
Track 2 from Robotech
Track 3 from Kof 2003
Track 4 is a remix of Shaun's theme from 3rd strike.

Stunfest footage used with permission (have a separate vid of it on my channel). Original Stunfest footage from:
https://www.twitch.tv/os_yom/videos
Last edited by Mark_MSX on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Plasmo

Re: Shmup Podcast Open Call for Guests

Post by Plasmo »

This is a great idea! :D I will follow your podcasts closely.

Welcome to the forum!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

are you mark r. johnson
FRO

Post by FRO »

Cool idea! If I was more hardcore about my shmup playing, I'd want to be on the podcast, but sadly, I'm a "filthy casual" in that sense :lol:

Good luck with the podcast, however, and let us know when it's up and running. I'd love to listen to it, and perhaps get some tips, so I can endeavor to suck less at these games!
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Plasmo wrote:This is a great idea! :D I will follow your podcasts closely.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the interest! Also, if you would like to come on as a guest that would be great.

Bananamatic wrote:are you mark r. johnson
I am afraid I am not. Though when I was a kid making prank calls I would introduce myself as Mr. Stiffy Johnson.
FRO wrote:Cool idea! If I was more hardcore about my shmup playing, I'd want to be on the podcast, but sadly, I'm a "filthy casual" in that sense :lol:

Good luck with the podcast, however, and let us know when it's up and running. I'd love to listen to it, and perhaps get some tips, so I can endeavor to suck less at these games!
Hey man, this is a podcast that is open to the entire community, casual or not. If you'd like to come on an episode that would be great. I am looking to have guests from all different perspectives.
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Hey, I'm another filthy casual and probably wouldn't have a lot to say but I'd love to hear what others think. Perhaps, if I became more confident about my lack of knowledge I'd participate further down the line.

Anyway, main reason for posting was to suggest making contact with the STG Weekly guys. They're very knowledge and chatty. It might make a nice start to your podcast.

Regardless, best of luck. I've been looking forward to an English shmups podcast for the longest time!
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Hey, I'm another filthy casual and probably wouldn't have a lot to say but I'd love to hear what others think. Perhaps, if I became more confident about my lack of knowledge I'd participate further down the line.

Anyway, main reason for posting was to suggest making contact with the STG Weekly guys. They're very knowledge and chatty. It might make a nice start to your podcast.

Regardless, best of luck. I've been looking forward to an English shmups podcast for the longest time!
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely have to look into getting into contact with those guys. For one, I do think it would be cool to interview Prometheus about Full Extent of the Jam, since it was one of the first things I read back while I was getting into playing shmups more seriously.

You are right about there being no English podcast, that's actually one of my main motivations for putting this effort together. Let me know if you do come around to coming onto the podcast yourself. No pressure though.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'm in the process of trying to put together a sort of informal shmup play through group for a website I contribute to, and possibly making it a joint venture with another website, since my shmup collection has grown to be reasonably large at this point, so if I get that going, it might be fun to be on the podcast to help promote that. I would assume the group will focus more on easily accessible shmups in the Western market, most likely domestic and region-free releases, Steam shmups, etc., so if we can get that going, I would certainly welcome an opportunity to promote it.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Yeah, I'll do it, lots of fertile ground here, why should the rest of the world have slightly more fun ? Send some details.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Far from the best, but I would be willing to help out too.
My lord, I have come for you.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Stevens wrote:Far from the best, but I would be willing to help out too.
That's great! I'm working on the first episode now and I am going to try and line up interview schedules soon.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

DialKnight wrote:Yeah, I'll do it, lots of fertile ground here, why should the rest of the world have slightly more fun ? Send some details.
That's great! I'll send you some details soon.
FRO wrote:I'm in the process of trying to put together a sort of informal shmup play through group for a website I contribute to, and possibly making it a joint venture with another website, since my shmup collection has grown to be reasonably large at this point, so if I get that going, it might be fun to be on the podcast to help promote that. I would assume the group will focus more on easily accessible shmups in the Western market, most likely domestic and region-free releases, Steam shmups, etc., so if we can get that going, I would certainly welcome an opportunity to promote it.
No problem man, sounds like a cool idea. I'd be interested to hear more about your experiences with collecting as well.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

While we've gotten a little bit of this in the past from STG Weekly episodes, it seems like you have an interesting and unique approach.
I'm curious to see how this will go.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Would welcome it as well!
and fits nicely next to STGWeekly.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update. I am going to be finishing up the first episode tonight and reaching out to some people about setting up an interview for the second episode this weekend.

Thanks so much for all the support, It's really helped me find the motivation to get this thing up and running.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'd love to see some design-focused discussions. It would complement nicely with STG Weekly, which is more focused on players and their runs. Some of the members here have made shmups of their own (e.g. Danbo who made Blue Revolver, Ebbo and eebrozgi who are working on FINALBOSS, and trap15 who's working on Fire Lancer) - if you can manage to bring together some of them and discuss their approaches and philosophies to making shmups and the lessons they learned when doing so, that would be awesome. Developers outside this forum are also welcome, of course.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

they should roast trap for making a shmup for a console that's less suitable for shmups than an onahole controller
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I'd definitely be up for something like this if you'd have me. Think it's a great initiative!
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Roodwurm

Post by Roodwurm »

Always looking for more interesting podcasts to listen to while working and there really isn't anything out there like this. Please share the link when your first episode is out.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Good luck with your podcast. If you have any questions for stgweekly ( i work on the show), feel free to dm me.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

The first episode of the podcast is now complete!

I will also create another thread on the forum that will go into greater detail about the episode. I would just like to thank everyone again for all the interest and support. I hope this thing doesn't disappoint (I do plan on improving as I go).

P.S. The original image I used for the basis of the cover art is by Tarrow100, a japanese artist that I asked permission to use the image from around two years ago. I then redesigned the color and added the other stuff. Here's the link to the original image, in case you were curious and wanted to compare them. https://www.deviantart.com/art/AXELAY-T ... -510972784
Last edited by Mark_MSX on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

maximo310 wrote:Good luck with your podcast. If you have any questions for stgweekly ( i work on the show), feel free to dm me.
Thanks my man. I will definitely do that. It would be great to get some STG Weekly people on the show.
Eaglet wrote:I'd definitely be up for something like this if you'd have me. Think it's a great initiative!
You got it! I am interested in talking with people from different countries than my own and comparing and contrasting our experiences. I'll add you to my list of people to coordinate a time with. Right now I'm still trying to get everything organized, so I'm sorry if it takes a while for me to follow up.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Interesting project, and a very decent first episode. If you don't mind, some suggestions:
Encoding the podcast at 320kbps is really great, but if you eventually have storage issues, I suggest encoding to v0. The file will be slightly smaller, but the sound quality won't change by much;
If you go above the 1 hour mark on future episodes, add some short music tracks in between segments. Some members here compose some great music for shmup games, or that sounds like shmup music, so you could ask them permission to use them. Maybe in the future you could have your own theme song for the podcast. :)
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Mark_MSX

New Shmup Podcast, Episode 1 Finished!

Post by Mark_MSX »

The first episode of the podcast is now complete!

Here is the link to the soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/user-306325657

I ended up deciding to have this first episode just be a solo podcast where I sort of introduce myself. Moving forward I plan on bringing guests onto the show and having discussions on various topics related to STGs. If your interested on coming on the show as a guest, feel free to reply to this thread or the open call for guests thread. You can also PM me. Right now I am sort of figuring out the recording schedule and everything, so I am sorry if it takes me time to get things lined up.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the show and I would like to thank everyone who has offered support and encouragement on these forums.

Here are some images of the things I talked about in the episode. I am hoping this stuff is unique enough that I'm not verging on show-and-tell territory here.

My arcade stick:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... 4GlK64.jpg

Switch arcade stick:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... AMZ8sj.jpg

Snes Arcade stick:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... 6pTHg8.jpg

Fightstick 2-go (I made this to be funny, it does function pretty well though):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... KvF5Uy.jpg

P.S. The original image I used for the basis of the cover art is by Tarrow100, a japanese artist that I asked permission to use the image from around two years ago. I then redesigned the color and added the other stuff. Here's the link to the original image, in case you were curious and wanted to compare them. https://www.deviantart.com/art/AXELAY-T ... -510972784
Last edited by Mark_MSX on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Plasmo

Re: New Shmup Podcast, Episode 1 Finished!

Post by Plasmo »

That was a fun listen! :D Thank you for putting in the work. I will await the next episode with anticipation.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I'll repost from the other thread:

Interesting project, and a very decent first episode. If you don't mind, some suggestions:
Encoding the podcast at 320kbps is really great, but if you eventually have storage issues, I suggest encoding to v0. The file will be slightly smaller, but the sound quality won't change by much;
If you go above the 1 hour mark on future episodes, add some short music tracks in between segments. Some members here compose some great music for shmup games, or that sounds like shmup music, so you could ask them permission to use them. Maybe in the future you could have your own theme song for the podcast. :)
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

soprano1 wrote:Some members here compose some great music for shmup games, or that sounds like shmup music, so you could ask them permission to use them. Maybe in the future you could have your own theme song for the podcast. :)
There are quite a few better composers than me on the forum, I think, but might as well offer my chiptunes. If you want to use any, PM me and I can render whichever one(s) you want to an audio file with the length / fadeouts / fadeins / whatever that you want.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Plasmo wrote:That was a fun listen! :D Thank you for putting in the work. I will await the next episode with anticipation.
Thanks for the support! I am glad you enjoyed it.
soprano1 wrote:I'll repost from the other thread:

Thank you for the feedback. You're right, as the episodes get longer I'll probably need to lower the kbps to reduce the file size. I think I will also go ahead and add an intermission track in the middle of the episode. Thanks for the heads up about finding some members of the forum who make their own music.
LordHypnos wrote:
soprano1 wrote:Some members here compose some great music for shmup games, or that sounds like shmup music, so you could ask them permission to use them. Maybe in the future you could have your own theme song for the podcast. :)
There are quite a few better composers than me on the forum, I think, but might as well offer my chiptunes. If you want to use any, PM me and I can render whichever one(s) you want to an audio file with the length / fadeouts / fadeins / whatever that you want.
I'll definitely take you up on that offer when I edit the next episode.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

An update on interviews for the podcast:

Hey everyone, I have been spending the last few days thinking about how I am going to regularly get guests on the podcast. As I mentioned in my first episode, I would like to conduct live calls with members of the community. However, when I think about some of the barriers many members of the community will face for coming on the show (like audio equipment, matching my time schedule, and perhaps feeling unsure of what you want to say) I thought that it would be good to introduce an alternative as well.

So this is the idea that I have come up with. In addition to the call in option, I also want to see if you guys would be interested in taking part in written interviews. How it will work is that I will send you a link to a google doc. On that google doc I will write a question and you can write a response. Then, I will write my response to your response and we can have a conversation back and forth. What is nice about this is that is doesn't have to be done in one sitting and we can conduct the interview according to our own schedules. This could potentially be a much more reliable method for getting guests as well. Then, once the interview is completed, I will read through the interview for the podcast. This is also nice because I could fit in more interviews per episode.

What do you guys think? Anyone interested in trying this style of interview for the podcast? I at least want to try it once and see how it goes.

Sincerely,

Mark
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

An update on interviews for the podcast:

Hey everyone, I have been spending the last few days thinking about how I am going to regularly get guests on the podcast. As I mentioned in my first episode, I would like to conduct live calls with members of the community. However, when I think about some of the barriers many members of the community will face for coming on the show (like audio equipment, matching my time schedule, and perhaps feeling unsure of what you want to say) I thought that it would be good to introduce an alternative as well.

So this is the idea that I have come up with. In addition to the call in option, I also want to see if you guys would be interested in taking part in written interviews. How it will work is that I will send you a link to a google doc. On that google doc I will write a question and you can write a response. Then, I will write my response to your response and we can have a conversation back and forth. What is nice about this is that is doesn't have to be done in one sitting and we can conduct the interview according to our own schedules. This could potentially be a much more reliable method for getting guests as well. Then, once the interview is completed, I will read through the interview for the podcast. This is also nice because I could fit in more interviews per episode.

What do you guys think? Anyone interested in trying this style of interview for the podcast? I at least want to try it once and see how it goes.

Sincerely,

Mark