Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Oniros

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by Oniros »

denpanosekai wrote:Retail SHMUPs in 2018. Fuck yes. Great job Dispatch! Looking forward to this one.
I recently got gifted a Switch for my birthday, so this has now entered my radar. Also, I don't get why Elixir won't tweet about the NA release on the Shmups account, getting a retail shmup is so rare these days.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just pre-ordered the Super LE on Switch. Gotta get dat WASi303 on vinyl.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

For those looking to get the Japanese LE, Dispatch Games, the company localizing the English release, are having a limited-time promo code for free international shipping over $75 on their store. It expires at midnight PST today. Link to code here.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Holy moly, talk about a deep cut...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Man, now we're getting obscure. Heartily approve the inclusion of Cybattler to the proceedings.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Holy shit. Been away from forums like a year and didn’t see this coming.

So happy, except for my wallet, I probably can’t resist buying both ps4 and switch version.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Take it us in EU will have to import? All places I see that have preorders open are US based.
pmp

Post by pmp »

If you're in Canada you can preorder the standard edition through EBGames. Its cheaper than importing it from the US with shipping.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Again, just like Sisters Royale, this isn't a Degica game, but wow. Cybattler remixed by Cave's sound team as a DLC character on top of all that WASi-fuelled sound is too much to resist.
My only regret is never really playing Psyvariar before this was announced, but getting a hands on at Bit Summit was all I needed to seal the deal.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For James_Degica,

If you ever get the proper chance to play Psyvariar Medium Unit & Psyvariar Revision in their original Taito G-Net arcade incarnations, it's quite an arcade shmup experience not to be missed. Even though Psy-MU got a proper March 2000 Japanese game center release (along with a September 2000 Japanese game center release for Psy-R), the actual Taito G-Card version of Psy-R does save a single superplay + your high scores + high score initials for posterity. How cool is that?

Upon watching the slick Success Corp. produced Psyvariar Apperciate Vol. 1 DVD superplay numerous times, I finally had to break down and get a Taito G-Net arcade motherboard + the usual Taito G-Cards of Psy-MU & Psy-R to properly play 'em at home (as none of my local arcades have those two particular arcade STG titles in stock anyways) back in the mid-2000s. It was certainly well-worth the $$$, trouble and effort to track 'em both down to add 'em to my arcade STG game stash alrighty. The Psyvariar sequel by the name of "Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate" from Success Corp. & Skonec is worth playing as well as it comes playable as a Sega Naomi cartridge for use on the Sega Naomi arcade platform or you can play it on a Sega Dreamcast console setup with a handy Dreamcast GD-Rom disc on tap. The latest Psyvariar release by the name of Psyvariar Re-Assemble on iOS was a limited time deal (but you can't play it anymore due to the fact that it needs a current internet connection just to even play it properly and thus the servers aren't up & running anymore) -- it was a fun romp while it lasted though.

Yep, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the SLE Switch version of Psyvariar Delta and the LE PS4 version of Psy-D as well -- might as well enjoy the ability to play Psy-D on the go and on the big HDTV screen setup at home with a proper dedicated PS4 arcade stick. I've always like the Psyvariar STG series from it's arcade inception back in 2000. The only thing is the Taito of America arcade subsidiary shut down for good (back in 1997) before parent arcade company Taito of Japan started distributing it's Taito G-Net arcade hardware platform + software, so thus Taito G-Net arcade conversion kits weren't distributed in the USA back in the day (making the possiblity of playing either Psy-MU or even Psy-R not doable/playable in the American arcades whatsoever during the 1998-2000 timeframe). If you look on the backside of a typical Taito G-Card cartridge, it's says that it isn't allowed for export to the USA, indeed -- thus the "real" reason why the Taito G-Net arcade platform wasn't sold/distributed in the USA.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For James_Degica,

If you ever get the proper chance to play Psyvariar Medium Unit & Psyvariar Revision in their original Taito G-Net arcade incarnations, it's quite an arcade shmup experience not to be missed. Even though Psy-MU got a proper March 2000 Japanese game center release (along with a September 2000 Japanese game center release for Psy-R), the actual Taito G-Card version of Psy-R does save a single superplay + your high scores + high score initials for posterity. How cool is that?
PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks for the info :)
Don't think I'm in the market for arcade hardware at the moment (got rid of my supergun many moons ago), but the new Psyvariar seems to have replays available, and the portable Switch version should make up for my own lack of space needed for housing a cab!
Speaking of which, though I forget which one, when I played the Switch ver at Bit Summit it was on a stick and it worked very well. Felt strange with the stick being 4-5 times the size of the console it was plugged into though...
FRO

Post by FRO »

I missed the Japanese SE pre-order version, but I grabbed the Switch version with the soundtrack, so hopefully the music doesn't suck :P
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I think what they've done with the aesthetics of the title is kind of strange.
They've upped the neon and included these generic, after-school-anime characters on the box-art cover.
Doesn't gel at all with the series, as far as I'm concerned.
The first title always had a very strange, abstract, mid-90's-darkness-CG feel to it.
This stuff just looks... silly.

Remember when the layout and design of almost any Japanese game warranted respect...?
What the hell happened to the art direction of that country?
ciox

Post by ciox »

Yes I liked the dark CG art style as well, the game itself is mostly intact though.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

kid aphex wrote:I think what they've done with the aesthetics of the title is kind of strange.
They've upped the neon and included these generic, after-school-anime characters on the box-art cover.
Doesn't gel at all with the series, as far as I'm concerned.
The first title always had a very strange, abstract, mid-90's-darkness-CG feel to it.
This stuff just looks... silly.
I think they hit a production high point with 2, and this is just not as well produced: feels to me a slightly got-what-you've-got from each discipline and it's put into a single package without the direction/discipline/curation it needs to feel like a cohesive and clear direction. The music probably has the strongest/clearest lineage and identity. Both the marketing 3d cg art and 2d seem to be too garish and unrefined. Fortunately in game it looks a little more cohesive, although the backgrounds seem weak vs. the sense of scale/movement/design of 2 in particular.

... Almost like this was just supposed to be a mobile game :)

Despite this psyvariar has my attention, just not my pre-order... yet... I'll probably get it... but got a feeling it'll just push me back to 2.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Does the CyBattler mech play differently?
qmish

Post by qmish »

https://youtu.be/4-f4v1CtMyc

something is off for me with such music now

:|
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I agree it's not as good as the original Psyvariar music. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it doesn't fit as well as the original music and isn't as memorable.

Also, "Earn invinsibility" [sic] :lol:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
ciox

Post by ciox »

We've already seen this trailer, it's the 2nd trailer without the Cybattler part.

The music in Psyvariar releases has been handled by Wasi303 for a while now who does it in a style similar to his mobile shmup stuff, it still kinda sounds like Psyvariar but it's in that really bombastic remix style, oh well, there will be soundtrack options in-game anyway.
qmish

Post by qmish »

ciox wrote:We've already seen this trailer, it's the 2nd trailer without the Cybattler part.

The music in Psyvariar releases has been handled by Wasi303 for a while now who does it in a style similar to his mobile shmup stuff, it still kinda sounds like Psyvariar but it's in that really bombastic remix style, oh well, there will be soundtrack options in-game anyway.
Oh, i got tricked by Gematsu wordplay "Dispatch Games has released the final trailer for Psyvariar Delta", i thought it's 3rd trailer.

Yeah i dont like that "modern trance with pump" style, original sounded more.. subtle?
PC Engine Fan X!

Noticed on the JPN region PSN site that the digital version of Psyvariar Delta is up for sale today 8/30/2018 on the PS4 platform and is a mere 524.22 mb d/l at best. Am not sure if it has proper tate option.

Cool opening intro with this newfangled Psy-D release indeed. Makes me wonder if a true third Psyvariar sequel is in the works or not. Could be done on the Exa-Arcadia platform if Success Corp/Skonec are up to get it done properly this 3rd time around.

It's a fun romp with the original Taito G-Net versions of Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

My Premium Sound Box (Switch version) arrived today. It's a cool little package. Popped in the game and was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't suffer from any noticeable input lag (unlike the ACA Neo Geo and ZeroDiv Psikyo downloads). Having mainly played the PS2 ports of Medium Unit and Revision in the past, this port is really sharp and clear. The only drawback I could see after a couple of credits was the lava background in the factory stage (which chugs along at like 15 fps while the main playfield is running smoothly at 60). When you start a game, you get to initially select between 2 craft, then the mode (Medium or Revision) and finally the version of the soundtrack (Medium, Revision or Delta). I have the PsyBattler mech download code, but need to create a Japanese Switch account to pull it down. The game features a single stage replay mode (much like the DC version of Under Defeat)... select a level and then the game will play out a lackluster replay after which you get to try and 1 up it. If successful (which isn't exactly difficult), your replay is saved as the viewable one.

Oh, and one last thing... HOLY CRAP IS THE LANGUAGE SELECT SCREEN AUDIO LOUD!
ciox

Post by ciox »

Weird that there's issues with the factory stage background, must be all the bloom, I see they still haven't fixed that missing texture either (the big out of place purple thing), I guess it adds some weird panache to the stage.

Some footage of the Cybattler thing here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAAHW7DcYGA
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Do we have a date for the European PS4 digital release? Also, does the Japanese version have an English language option? Cheers.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

SuperPang wrote:Do we have a date for the European PS4 digital release? Also, does the Japanese version have an English language option? Cheers.
The Switch version (which is the Japanese release) offers a choice of 8 selectable languages:
Japanese
English
Korean
Chinese
French
Italian
German
Spanish
PC Engine Fan X!

Kiken wrote:The game features a single stage replay mode (much like the DC version of Under Defeat)... select a level and then the game will play out a lackluster replay after which you get to try and 1 up it. If successful (which isn't exactly difficult), your replay is saved as the viewable one.
On the actual Taito G-Card of Psyvariar Revision, it does save a single superplay to the cartridge itself for posterity (can't do that with the G-Card version of Psyvariar Medium Unit though). How cool is that? It was a novel replay feature within the arcade scene (but groundbreaking at the time back in September of 2000) for the Japanese game centers when Psy-R made it's grand arcade debut during that point in time (not to mention that it'd cost real yen to watch your superplay in action though). Fascinating to learn that "same single replay functionality" highlight is available on Psyvariar Delta as a standard feature from the "get-go".

My Taito G-Card of Psy-R has a single superplay stored on it and it's quite cool to view it from time to time -- it was done by a Japanese Psy-R player, of course. The other thing was Success Corp's Psyvariar Revision site to upload your high scores + high score initials via a handy internet submission password code back in late 2000 before it was taken offline in March of 2001 (and not accepting anymore Psy-R score passwords). It was cool to see some the high scores and high score initials of the ace Psy-R players back in the day on that particular site. I'm surprised that it's still up & running these days -- https://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/ac/revision/

https://www.success-corp.co.jp/software ... /rank.html (Click on "Total Ranking & "Successive Ranking" to view the high scores and high score initials.)

Total Ranking -- https://www.success-corp.co.jp/software ... ank01.html

Successive Ranking -- https://www.success-corp.co.jp/software ... kS001.html

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leolobato

Post by leolobato »

Kiken wrote: The Switch version (which is the Japanese release) offers a choice of 8 selectable languages:
Japanese
English
Korean
Chinese
French
Italian
German
Spanish
It seems there are two Switch releases: one Asia version (sold by Play Asia and published by Dispatch Games) which does indeed have all these language options, and a Japanese version (sold by amazon.co.jp) which has a different cover and I'm not sure is also published by Dispatch.

Could anyone confirm which languages are available on the Japanese version sold by amazon.co.jp?
Psx

Post by Psx »

I bought Psyvariar digital version off the Japanese e-shop and it has all 8 language selections available.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

For those overseas wanting the Premium Sound Box, this is a decent deal considering it comes with FREE worldwide shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323423931841