Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't know why the hell City Connection chose them as their distributor of choice. I've grown to dislike StrictlyLimited and LimitedRun's business/marketing practices (flood the market with useless physical copies for games that don't deserve them + encourage scalper mentality), but they at least operate like a business and ship things on time, the few times I've used them. And unlike Dispatch, they actually email you updates about where things are.

I'll wait and see how they bungle Radirgy - maybe their motto should be "Just trust us, dude!"
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

EmperorIng wrote:I've grown to dislike StrictlyLimited and LimitedRun's business/marketing practices (flood the market with useless physical copies for games that don't deserve them + encourage scalper mentality)
This. Though I suppose there's not really going to be any other option going forward, as I'm pretty sure by the time the new consoles drop next Christmas, physical games will be largely non-existent in the mainstream, just like they have been on PC for the last 5-7 years. I'm personally fine with digital, though, not really much incentive for physical releases anymore unless it's a a rare case of a special edition that has some really good physical content with it (toys, books, posters, soundtrack, etc.)
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I'm personally fine with digital, though, not really much incentive for physical releases anymore unless it's a a rare case of a special edition that has some really good physical content with it (toys, books, posters, soundtrack, etc.)
Same here, the Cruisin' Mix Special LRG edition as well as Garegga speak to me, but others like Vasara, I could leave. I mean Would leave if I'd known it would me more of a dud than expected. To that end, Radigry Swag LE is something I want pretty bad. $44.00 wasn't terrible for what it offers. But yeah, Dispatch has been a lil iffy since Penguin Wars, I don't expect them to turn around any time soon.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
ciox

Post by ciox »

I have no real way to check but hopefully this release is doing well on Steam/PS4/Switch. Steam review count is a bit low. Hopefully they support it with more content, the new stages were awesome. (would still like to know who was behind them)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

EmperorIng wrote:I don't know why the hell City Connection chose them as their distributor of choice. I've grown to dislike StrictlyLimited and LimitedRun's business/marketing practices (flood the market with useless physical copies for games that don't deserve them + encourage scalper mentality), but they at least operate like a business and ship things on time, the few times I've used them. And unlike Dispatch, they actually email you updates about where things are.

I'll wait and see how they bungle Radirgy - maybe their motto should be "Just trust us, dude!"
I don't know why there's so much hate for these companies pumping out "Limtied Physical Releases". If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have physicals of games I actually really want. Games I don't want I don't buy. Games I do want I usually am able to get most of the time.

Having a physical option is a good thing. At least in my opinion
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

I love how the boss battles become longer and more complex when you perform well during the stage.
heli

Post by heli »

Is it worth buying if you have PS2 version ?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

heli wrote:Is it worth buying if you have PS2 version ?
Yes, the Delta remix is quite good and it runs great on both systems (PS4 and Switch). It's my favorite shmup on the Switch so far. Cybattler DLC is kinda take-it-or-leave-it, but I enjoy using the ship so it was worth the price for me.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
heli

Post by heli »

Those links wont work, i would buy.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

heli wrote:Those links wont work, i would buy.
Work fine for me. maybe they're geo blocked or something.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
heli

Post by heli »

What versions are there with different languages ?
If you buy the JAP version, can you read the menu ?
Is there a english version ?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Leviathan wrote:
heli wrote:Those links wont work, i would buy.
Work fine for me. maybe they're geo blocked or something.
That's the case for sure. Btw the game is in the current Halloween Steam sale.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Did people ever get their copies from Dispatch Games? It seems they'll be putting out a physical version of Game Tengoku for Switch but I remember how they kept delaying the Switch release of this game.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Yeah, I got my pre-order like 9 months late, but I finally got it. Probably won't ever buy anything from them again, though.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

I would really like a physical copy of Game Paradise, but I will buy a standard copy once it is out. Don’t preorder from them. We’ll see how long it takes for Radirgy Swag. It was only a little more for the limited, and a soundtrack on album appeals to me a lot. Too bad its from a company with such bad preorder practices.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I'm relatively new to this game and I'm playing the Switch version but I hope this isn't a stupid question. How do I get the stronger, straight bullet ray to happen regularly? I usually only get the wider spread shot unless I move the d-pad left and right. I just saw a replay where the person was shooting straight with ease. Is there a button I'm supposed to press to get the shot to do that normally?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's the shot you have when you roll. When you roll, in Revision and Delta, you gain more buzz for each bullet (I think Medium Unit too?), your shot focuses, and you lose a little bit of momentum.

You can roll naturally, wiggling the stick back and forth (as it was meant in the arcades). However, just about every home port of the Psyvariar games have an auto-roll button that you can hold to roll and focus on grazing bullets.

As an extra tip, you have a momentary burst of speed the moment you stop rolling. To get around the playfield quickly, tap the roll button to dart around. I do this sometimes when I just gain a level and want to speed around buzzing as many bullets as I can before my invincibility wears off (hopefully triggering a new level in the process).
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I figured out that I had to hold the roll button along with the shot button. I just mapped the roll to the ZR button and it felt great. The game is so much easier now, for me. Before, I could only beat Revision with Blanche but now I've beaten Revision and Delta with Arion-R, and I'm having a blast. My high scores are going through the roof, along with my levels. Granted, I'm playing the easiest routes for now but I plan on venturing into the harder stages soon.
Special World

Post by Special World »

SO other than being mad about not getting it on time... how are you guys likin this? Been thinking about picking it up, but only had a very little but of experience with Psyvariar 2 on Dreamcast.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It's really exceptional. Psyvariar Revision is easily getting on my list for top25 this year. The game's way of approaching shmup stage design still feels fresh and forward-thinking all these years later. This is also like one of the only shmups where boss milking is fun and I -want- to do it. Seeing how high I can get my buzz chain during a boss's patterns, killing it right before it times out, is a really exceptional feeling.

I'm not good enough yet to get to the later levels; I haven't figured out proper routes through them, nor do I get the big buzz chains going on the IU bosses like Photon. It's tough. But no other game flows in such a way.

As for Medium Unit, I haven't spent much time with it, nor Delta. Though I like the Delta stage arranges. I want to get really good at Revision first, which will take a while.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

What's in this that's not in the PS2 Revision/Medium Unit combo pack? I don't much fancy trying to play Psyvariar with joycons, so I'd probably only be playing it hooked up to the TV and an arcade stick... like the PS2.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You can get it on steam and play with the controller of your choice. That's probably the optimal way to play it. Or PS4 if you have one.

This has Medium Unit/Revision, and has a new Arrange mode, Delta, along with a new DLC Character (Blanche from Cybattler, which plays like Cybattler, melee attacks and all). You can also mix-n-match ships and rules (ie play the MU ship/rules in Revision's stage layout, or vice-versa, etc.).
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:What's in this that's not in the PS2 Revision/Medium Unit combo pack? I don't much fancy trying to play Psyvariar with joycons, so I'd probably only be playing it hooked up to the TV and an arcade stick... like the PS2.
There's the titular campaign revision "Delta" and a DLC ship that lets you play as the mech from Cybattler. The mech has a 4-way shot and a recharging shield, so it's an interesting new (easier) way to play. Also, its name is BLANCHE, which makes me think of Golden Girls and smile every time I boot it up.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I also seem to recall that there was some kind of bug in how bombs worked in the PS2 port, which is fixed here.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BulletMagnet wrote:I also seem to recall that there was some kind of bug in how bombs worked in the PS2 port, which is fixed here.
If memory serves me right wasn't the PS2 port regarded as one of the worst ports of the game? It has been years and maybe I'm confusing it with another game that was ported on the PS2
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I've enjoyed the hell out of it, after pre-ordering it last year, cancelling, and then just buying it from Amazon for X-Mas. I'm having a blast with all the different aformentioned options, and I'm not really a great shmup player. Replay Mode is kinda fun too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shelcoof wrote:If memory serves me right wasn't the PS2 port regarded as one of the worst ports of the game? It has been years and maybe I'm confusing it with another game that was ported on the PS2
I don't recall the PS2 ports of the Psyvariar titles being universally panned (and offhand struggle to recall anyplace else that they were ported to), but I know some manner of bomb bug was mentioned in this thread someplace.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:If memory serves me right wasn't the PS2 port regarded as one of the worst ports of the game? It has been years and maybe I'm confusing it with another game that was ported on the PS2
I don't recall the PS2 ports of the Psyvariar titles being universally panned (and offhand struggle to recall anyplace else that they were ported to), but I know some manner of bomb bug was mentioned in this thread someplace.
I think I must have mistaken it for Triggerheart Exelica. I'm really having a hard time putting my finger on the exact title
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Cheers all, so what's the new Delta mode all about? Sounds like I'd be getting it mainly for that then - never played Cybattler and don't have the means to, with my PC now deceased.