Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Psyvariar Delta

Post by BulletMagnet »

Coming to PS4 and Switch - includes Medium Unit, Revision and some manner of new mode.
Bananamatic

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by Bananamatic »

about goddamn time we got a proper port of revision and medium unit on a sane platform
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So is it just a port of the first game with a new mode?
ciox

Post by ciox »

Steam when?

I find it a little worrying that the graphics and rendering don't seem to have been updated in the vein of Reassemble, might hurt its popular appeal.
Bananamatic wrote:about goddamn time we got a proper port of revision and medium unit on a sane platform
https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/pro ... IAR0000000
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

ciox wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:about goddamn time we got a proper port of revision and medium unit on a sane platform
https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/pro ... IAR0000000
same bad port for today's standards with an incredibly awful "practice" mode, replay saving that is per stage and sometimes fails to save a stage and the bad ps2 emulation on top of that

might as well play on ps2
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

You can kind of make out the new HUD in the Famitsu magazine screenshot. Also, I recall City Connection being one of the affiliates for the EXA platform.
Possible Psyvariar EXA on the horizon?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Great news!

+1 for PC/steam though because I don't have the consoles. Curious what the new mode will be like, maybe some new OST remixes to go with it??
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I'm mostly curious about how they'll handle auto roll in this port
if it's on by default and allowed on all leaderboards then I don't see a reason to even include manual roll

not expecting the new mode to be anything else than awful seeing how psy2 was already a huge downgrade in gameplay
just give me a decent practice mode and replays on revision and don't fuck up the port too much and it will be perfect
ciox

Post by ciox »

I dunno, classic auto-roll totally ruins the roll concept and turns it into a focus, an auto-roll that actually moves you around left-right a couple of pixels would be more fair, that's most likely how the custom roll buttons work at arcades.

I think that MR2151 aka PYX did all the good parts of the stage design in Medium Unit and Revision, he was credited for "Enemy Program" in those games, but he wasn't involved in 2 or anything else after.
He's probably not going to be involved in this either.
Doujin game he worked on before going professional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTfxocc4Zas
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I like playing both with and without the PS2 roll button so I hope they separate leaderboards. I came so close to beating Revision without it I can't believe I never made the final push!

I'm not sure to what extent auto roll changes the game's ultimate scoring potential, but it certainly makes it easier to get closer.
ciox

Post by ciox »

I need to figure out a way to get properly back into this game, I don't like playing the PS2/PS3 version on pad at all, and while it generally feels right on keyboard when emulated in PCSX2, even on a new high end computer that emulator will still have random lag spikes (to which it reacts by speeding up the game and ignoring your inputs for a short time :lol:) that ruin any really high-level runs.
Looking at that screenshot it seems like there's a ShotTriggers style HUD and extra mode in the works, so maybe when ShotTriggers comes to Steam they'll follow.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I toyed around on the Xbox version of Psyvariar a couple years back, and could never quite wrap my head around the mechanics. This is one on the Switch I might bypass.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

FRO wrote:I toyed around on the Xbox version of Psyvariar a couple years back, and could never quite wrap my head around the mechanics. This is one on the Switch I might bypass.
They are much different games. I like Part 2 myself.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Marc

Post by Marc »

I wanted to like 2, it couldn't get into the whole waggling thing. Have the PS2 version of 1 but not sure I ever got around to playing it. Might have to dig the slim back out for a go.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Gematsu's added an update, apparently the Japanese release date is August 30th, and there'll be some kind of LE.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Bummer that it is just an enhanced port. I would have loved to see the assets from Psyvariar Reassemble put to use in a proper console shmup. Oh well, at least the person in charge of the Psyvariar Twitter account seems pretty stoked about this lol: https://twitter.com/PsyvariarRA/status/ ... 7851271168
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Durandal wrote:You can kind of make out the new HUD in the Famitsu magazine screenshot. Also, I recall City Connection being one of the affiliates for the EXA platform.
More details in the near future as it will be different...
become history
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Shou wrote:
Durandal wrote:You can kind of make out the new HUD in the Famitsu magazine screenshot. Also, I recall City Connection being one of the affiliates for the EXA platform.
well for starters it probably won't have replays and training mode
power to the exa
ciox

Post by ciox »

Bananamatic wrote:
Shou wrote:
well for starters it probably won't have replays and training mode
power to the exa
Isn't the original replay mode basically training mode? You just press start to skip watching the other guy's replay for that level and play yourself. I don't see why that would be excluded since it's an original mode that was in the arcade and console ports.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

would be way better to have regular replays and practice and the XX stages available outside of the weird stuff
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

More news via Shmups Twitter - a new interface and options (including visible hitbox) as well as a new ship (apparently it's DLC, but a code is included with both the standard and limited editions, if I read it right?) are also in the offing.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

the fact that there is so little hype for this is disappointing
took 18 years to get a port that (probably) doesn't suck ass and no one cares
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

I'd assume most people doesn't think the old versions suck ass (I for one doesn't).

But it's great news anyway. I'll most likely buy.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

anything that forces you to buy an outdated second hand console along with a separate arcade stick and then you have to play it on an old tv where you can't see shit because of the scanlines is a bad port
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Funny timing, I literally just played the Dreamcast version a few hours ago!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Awesome.
I wish someone would finally port PSYVARIAR 2... it's one of my favorites.
ciox

Post by ciox »

kid aphex wrote:Awesome.
I wish someone would finally port PSYVARIAR 2... it's one of my favorites.
It seems they don't have the rights to any Skonec stuff, from what we've seen in Reassemble they studiously avoided any references to Psyvariar 2, even the tutorial characters were very similar but still not the originals.

I don't really mind since I think 1 is by far the superior product, and this is mainly because 2 is obviously unfinished, otherwise you could say they are just different games going for different directions.
You can tell from the Psyvariar 2 artbooks and website that they had big plans for the game, but the final product was rushed, and you can see it in the lacking level design and the story that seems go somewhere but is full of gaps and unexplained events, like some kind of big rivalry is being built up but it just leads to a random huge fight and a concept art slideshow, there must be at least 1-2 missing levels to explain what is going on (the soundtrack has at least 2 unused level tracks).
Another thing is the website says how Shooting Type is supposed to have different enemy waves, that's not the case in-game and playing Shooting Type is a pretty poor experience, as by default the game has few enemies and no extra enemy waves to encourage you grazing and taking advantage of enemies properly. Just one more thing they didn't have time for.

Them actually going back and finishing Psyvariar 2 with improved level design and finished/sensical story progression would get me a little hyped, but it depends on certain rights being secured.
Skonec seem to have completely rebranded themselves as a VR Company, but at least they're still around http://www.skonec.com/
qmish

Post by qmish »

ciox wrote:

You can tell from the Psyvariar 2 artbooks
What artbooks? :shock:
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Some screens:

I like the Neo Geo AES stick.
ciox

Post by ciox »

qmish wrote:
ciox wrote:

You can tell from the Psyvariar 2 artbooks
What artbooks? :shock:
I'm really just talking about what's on the official superplay DVD, there's more concept art on it than in the various in-game galleries.
NTSC-J wrote:Some screens:

I like the Neo Geo AES stick.
Looks much better and professional than the old shots suggested.
Unfortunately once again I'm looking at a super advanced HUD that has a critical omission, like when Garegga 2016 left out the destruction score ticker found in Batrider/Bakraid, here you have all this extra info but no effort is made to make the very important energy gauge any bigger i.e the thing that you need to keep an eye on to stay alive. Sure it's duplicated on the right side but only marginally bigger. It should be a big vertical line like in Ikaruga IMO.