Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ATTRACTS

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by ATTRACTS »

djsheep wrote:For those overseas wanting the Premium Sound Box, this is a decent deal considering it comes with FREE worldwide shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323423931841
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSYVARIAR-DELT ... SwDyxbgtGi

Use this link instead ^
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Play-Asia just informed me that the expected US release date has been pushed back to October 23rd.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Really enjoying this. While visually it’s sort of hit or miss, the ability to play as either Medium or Revision and each’s ruleset/mechanics is a nice idea. Runs smooth as butter on the PS4 and the music is a good upbeat mix of techno. I loved this series back in the day and it’s nice to have it back in the mix.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

As someone who's not properly educated on either game - do the modes in Delta serve as ports of Medium Unit/Revision, or are they in some way reimaginings/arrangements of them?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
ciox

Post by ciox »

They're very close approximations of the original games, from what I remember there's only some small aspects of Medium Unit are off, like the bomb isn't supposed to briefly increase your graze radius in Medium Unit like it does in Revision, it erases all bullets right away and doesn't allow grazing. But the bomb now has the same code as Revision. I don't really remember what other differences there were.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been awhile, but I seem to recall that Revision gave you the ability to use either a traditional screen-clearing bomb or a "small bomb" that offered only brief invincibility but allowed you to buzz while it's active...maybe my memory's off.
ciox

Post by ciox »

BulletMagnet wrote:It's been awhile, but I seem to recall that Revision gave you the ability to use either a traditional screen-clearing bomb or a "small bomb" that offered only brief invincibility but allowed you to buzz while it's active...maybe my memory's off.
Yeah, I'm not talking about the shortbomb, just the basic bomb that is in both games.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steam and arcade ports coming, along with free additional content, but no dates for any of it yet.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Cool to hear that Psyvariar Delta is slated for the arcades & Steam as well -- makes me wonder if it will appear on the Exa-Arcadia platform or on a new arcade motherboard setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Cool to hear that Psyvariar Delta is slated for the arcades & Steam as well -- makes me wonder if it will appear on the Exa-Arcadia platform or on a new arcade motherboard setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
8)
become history
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Steam release is great news - I might finally have a good way to give Psyvariar a shot.

Just to try to clarify the version differences - do people feel the games are close enough to be tracked on a common score board?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
ciox

Post by ciox »

CStarFlare wrote:Steam release is great news - I might finally have a good way to give Psyvariar a shot.

Just to try to clarify the version differences - do people feel the games are close enough to be tracked on a common score board?
Eh...
I think the new Medium Unit will give you a small scoring advantage over the arcade version, but in practice there will probably be so few scores it might not matter.
Mero

Post by Mero »

They'll have to be kept seperate if there's any difference.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Mero wrote:They'll have to be kept seperate if there's any difference.
Let's confirm it for sure then, my experience is that if you fire up Medium Unit in MAME or watch Yusemi-SWY's superplay, bombs immediately erase all bullets and don't allow grazing, from what I've seen in videos of Delta's Medium Unit bombs will allow a supergraze with enhanced radius just like in Revision.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

BulletMagnet wrote:Steam and arcade ports coming, along with free additional content, but no dates for any of it yet.
Siiiiick. Imma get this on Steam then!
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

BulletMagnet wrote:Steam and arcade ports coming, along with free additional content, but no dates for any of it yet.
this is amazing !! Its been such a long wait for another port of this game, I'm so happy I'll be able to play it. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly ^__^
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

An update was released and now Psyvariar Delta on the Switch platform is at firmware 1.2 as of yesterday, 9-26-2018. By pressing button R (Right shoulder button), you can now select between player 1 & player 2 on the main selection screen prompts.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Aww, they made weird changes to Medium Unit. Why don't developers understand that this is why things like Revision get made in the first place?

Imagine if ports of games like Daioujou made weird changes to WL that made it more like BL. Oh wait, that exists, it's called Dodonpachi III! So you're left with three versions to track instead of just two, and it's very likely that the weird port version is going to get basically no submissions, except for that one guy who keeps begging you to add their low-level score for a version of the game noone plays.

But then you have to also worry about a scenario like Crimzon Clover, where people basically stop playing the original version altogether. The entire point of bundling Medium Unit and Revision together is to avoid this problem, yet here we are.

I really hate versions. Just keep the game the same, damn. Or, if you're gonna do an update, make the game so drastically different that it feels worth it, plus support the old version right alongside. This is why I always liked CAVE black labels, they actually made sense.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

^I can't remember how bombs originally worked, but if it changed then it's kind of sad since it's presumably just an oversight that occurred during the implementation of the Revision ship in MU. Since getting buzz in MU is generally harder, this could actually effect scoring to a small extent.

MU isn't the draw of the package for me, but I am hoping playing MU with the Revision ship is different and fun enough to justify this unholy sacrifice.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Delta is the only version of Medium Unit I've played, but from watching SWY's video, bombing erases bullets immediately in the arcade version whereas they remain on screen for an extra second or two in Delta. Bombing Gluon's orange/green pattern seems to give me 10~ more buzz. It's an advantage, but it's a pretty negligible one.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Play-Asia just informed me that the expected US release date has been pushed back to October 23rd.
Looks like most places are now saying Oct 30th, so pushed back yet another week
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Bananamatic wrote:
ciox wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:about goddamn time we got a proper port of revision and medium unit on a sane platform
https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/pro ... IAR0000000
same bad port for today's standards with an incredibly awful "practice" mode, replay saving that is per stage and sometimes fails to save a stage and the bad ps2 emulation on top of that

might as well play on ps2
It all began on a PSX-based arcade hardware called "Taito G-NET". No wonder why the graphics from the arcade version were familiar.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=672&page=1#3316
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

According to P-A the US release has been delayed another month.
zakk

Post by zakk »

BulletMagnet wrote:According to P-A the US release has been delayed another month.
I preordered this through some other site, I guess the original publisher? I forget. At this point I might as well just buy the JP version, sheesh.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

BulletMagnet wrote:According to P-A the US release has been delayed another month.
Yeah, just noticed this. Some sites are now saying November 27th for release. Definitely more tempting to get the Japanese version, but I guess I don't care that much to pay double the price for the same game, rather just wait.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Update for the JP release.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Awesome. Will check the patch out later. Got the switch limited japanese edition. Sad the us version still hasn't released.
Special World

Post by Special World »

How are you guys feeling about this game? Is it the game you knew and enjoyed or does it seem different and strange? It does have a different graphical style, right?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Special World wrote:How are you guys feeling about this game?
Best game of 2018.
ciox

Post by ciox »

iconoclast wrote:
Special World wrote:How are you guys feeling about this game?
Best game of 20XX.