Dimension Drive PS4 (Physical Release)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

EastAsiaSoft/Play-Asia.com are releasing a physical version of Dimension Drive for PS4. Limited Print of 2,000 copies numbered with soundtrack $36.99 with free shipping. Comes out April 19th.

https://www.play-asia.com/info/exclusives
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
FRO

Re: Dimension Drive PS4 (Physical Release)

Post by FRO »

I was thinking about grabbing this digitally on Switch, but with a physical version coming this is very tempting. I might have to bite the bullet and buy it...
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Pushky

Post by Pushky »

Would buy, but the customs will make the price double

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Would buy, but the customs will make the price double
For EU countries the pre-paid tax option adds around $7.5 for this one and makes it a lot easier to order from PA.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Not to be too negative about this but I bought and played it day one on Switch and while I appreciate the thought that's gone into it, and the concept fires my imagination even now, the execution results in quite a dull shmup experience and quite a frustrating puzzle experience overall. When it clicks, there are undoubtedly some moments of magic but it's certainly quite low on excitement and gratification, to my tastes. I died only when teleporting into immediate danger or death, and never due to a tricky bullet pattern. My £0.02, in any case.
Stilghar

Post by Stilghar »

Hi, developer of Dimension Drive here! Thanks for spreading the word and thanks to all that bought it! The first batch of 1000 copies is sold out and the second batch is now live.

@Stanshall Sorry to see you didn't enjoy our original release on Switch. We've always been very open about the influences of Dimension Drive. Dimension Drive is not a typical bullet hell, it is in fact closer to the navigation based gameplay you could find in the old R-Type games. Having said that we took all the feedback from the original Switch release and have updated the game to make it better. The changes that are included in the PS4 version (and were also pushed as a free update to Switch last week) are:

- Online Leaderboards
- New score rank system
- Collision warning improved
- Improved graphics
- Better contrast (foreground vs. background)
- Modified some areas in levels where navigation/puzzles were frustrating
- Improved performance

These basically add replayability in the form of score chasing gameplay and not just survival and correct some of the issues you mentioned. It is still a classic 80/90s gameplay shoot'em up though, don't go in expecting a modern Japanese bullet hell.
Dimension Drive:
http://www.dimensiondrive.com/

Indie Studio I belong to:
http://2awesomestudio.com/
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Wow! This is awesome. Have been following its development from its very beginning. Glad to know that it's going physical.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Stilghar wrote:Hi, developer of Dimension Drive here! Thanks for spreading the word and thanks to all that bought it! The first batch of 1000 copies is sold out and the second batch is now live.

@Stanshall Sorry to see you didn't enjoy our original release on Switch. We've always been very open about the influences of Dimension Drive. Dimension Drive is not a typical bullet hell, it is in fact closer to the navigation based gameplay you could find in the old R-Type games. Having said that we took all the feedback from the original Switch release and have updated the game to make it better. The changes that are included in the PS4 version (and were also pushed as a free update to Switch last week) are:

- Online Leaderboards
- New score rank system
- Improved graphics
- Improved performance

These basically add replayability in the form of score chasing gameplay and not just survival and correct some of the issues you mentioned. It is still a classic 80/90s gameplay shoot'em up though, don't go in expecting a modern Japanese bullet hell.

Thank you for the hard work and dedication. A great contribution to the scene. Will be picking up the Switch version as well.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Stilghar wrote:Hi, developer of Dimension Drive here! Thanks for spreading the word and thanks to all that bought it! The first batch of 1000 copies is sold out and the second batch is now live.

- Online Leaderboards
- New score rank system
- Improved graphics
- Improved performance

I absolutely respect not just this polite and informative response but I also acknowledge that it's more a question of my approach, expectation and tastes (at the moment) which have led to my not enjoying the game as much as others. That said, this ongoing support is excellent and I'll certainly have another proper crack with a different mindset. As I say, in the times I felt it click, there's definitely something brilliant there to be found.

Cheers.
Stilghar

Post by Stilghar »

Thank you all, I really appreciate the kind words. As an indie developer this is what drives me to continue and make our games better :)
Dimension Drive:
http://www.dimensiondrive.com/

Indie Studio I belong to:
http://2awesomestudio.com/