Rival MegaGun PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Rival MegaGun PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

Post by Tokyo-J »

Previously discussed on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55457

New video released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-z1AQf9mvE
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
FRO

Re: Rival MegaGun PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

Post by FRO »

I totally missed the original topic, but this looks pretty cool. Love the art style.
Keade

Post by Keade »

The game came out a few days ago, has anyone tried it yet (Zaarock maybe ? :) ) ?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Me, Zil and Hurst have been trying it at least. Seems like a decent game. But the mechanics are simpler than Twinkle Star Sprites. For example there's no secondary attack by holding the fire button, or ability to reflect/counter the enemies attacks.

The interaction between players feels a lot more sparse than TSS but the shmup aspect is well done and straight forward (veryhard mode is surprisingly solid). I'm afraid this won't have the same lasting appeal as a versus game? But it's definitely solid and worth getting. Lots of bugs in the launch version but those should be cleaned out..
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

The shmup aspect is solid, I've had a good amount of fun with just moving and shooting. Visibility is good, although I've had a few "wtf hit me" instances, or maybe I think the hitbox is smaller/in a different location then I believe. I tested a little with the robot character, it has a yellow face in the center that I sorta thought it could be a hitbox marker.

It looks like there are items/weapons you can obtain while playing the game. You can equip 1 weapon (your character's charge shot) and 2 items that change certain stats. I only played for a little more than an hour, so I haven't seen that many items. So far I've seen items that:
- draws the bomb/health/chain item towards you to make them easier to pickup
- spawns "reflected" projectiles to counterattack the enemy player when you're attacked in boss/megagun mode, but at the cost of taking double damage
- straight up increase your weapon damage by 50%

You can agree to disable items in versus, but if you play with items I wonder/hope there would be some interesting variations of loadouts and not just one ideal build

There's also some customization you can do with the enemy drones that you spawn - for every 2 chains, you can pick out of a handful of enemy types to spawn on the other player's side. Only the popcorn drones are available in the lower number chains, but as you get higher you can select more powerful drones. I don't know if this would affect gameplay significantly, but my guess is there's probably an ideal order that would work for everybody. Or at least, there may be an order that's better than the default. However, I don't know what the default order is exactly (doesn't look like the game tells you). Custom drone orders can also be disabled in versus

If playing for score, it looks like your main goal is to try to keep the stage/round going for as long as possible, and pray that the AI player doesn't die - there's no time bonus given at the end of the round, only bonuses for max chain and how often you used special attacks or megagun. You'll probably want to save your meter for megaguns, and then when you transform you simply don't attack and let the AI kill you. Also attempt to enter megagun when no enemies have spawned; your megagun can overlap enemies so you may be hindering the AI player by keeping enemies alive. There's also probably some ideal item/weapon/drone order
Last edited by Kyper on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Looks interesting, but man this is a terrible release window. Right after Black Friday, and right before Smash Ultimate comes out. I'm set on games for a long time.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Recorded some matches against a korean player on veryhard, both of us have been grinding the game out the past couple days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnx3wzWiJgM
I'm enjoying this the more I play it. It seems more fun on non-default settings & when both players start to get the hang of things
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

reckon luck wrote:Looks interesting, but man this is a terrible release window. Right after Black Friday, and right before Smash Ultimate comes out. I'm set on games for a long time.
What a weird complaint to make. It was released in the same week as Ketsui Deathtiny, Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special and R-Type Dimensions EX. I'd say it was actually the perfect time to release the game.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

Elixir wrote:
reckon luck wrote:Looks interesting, but man this is a terrible release window. Right after Black Friday, and right before Smash Ultimate comes out. I'm set on games for a long time.
What a weird complaint to make. It was released in the same week as Ketsui Deathtiny, Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special and R-Type Dimensions EX. I'd say it was actually the perfect time to release the game.
That's only taking shmups into account, though. There are still games out there that will bury anything close to them in release date on launch, and Smash Ultimate is most certainly one of those games.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

shoryusatsu999 wrote:
Elixir wrote:
That's only taking shmups into account, though. There are still games out there that will bury anything close to them in release date on launch, and Smash Ultimate is most certainly one of those games.
I don't think people interested in Rival Megagun are the same kinds of people that are interested in Smash Ultimate. Statistically people are more inclined to pick up multiple games in one go if they're released around the same time, especially if they're related. Also, just look at all the games released in March (end of Japanese fiscal year). It's been like this for many years now.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Does this game have a stand alone 1 player screen or is the only option a split screen vs the cpu?

Edit; nevermind, I was thinking of a diff game
Last edited by 2dvertical on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I picked this up but was busy with a convention right at launch day and just got back home 2 days ago

The game is super solid imo but online on Steam already feels super dead, literally sat on the quick match screen for well over 10 minutes without any matches :(
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

drunkninja24 wrote:I picked this up but was busy with a convention right at launch day and just got back home 2 days ago

The game is super solid imo but online on Steam already feels super dead, literally sat on the quick match screen for well over 10 minutes without any matches :(
Yeah the quick match is getting barren after a few days. Probably already better off going to the game discord or Steam to ask for matches.
My steam acc. is xaerock if anyone wants to try some matches
Glick

Post by Glick »

This is always the risk of buying indie multiplayer games, sadly. I really want this on the Switch, but I'm afraid there will only be single digit people playing at any given time.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

I'm expecting Steam to have the longest lasting playerbase. The way the netcode works is super helpful though: you only get input lag when controlling a boss. So cross-continent play is super playable and there isnt much reason to split playerbase between regions.
In fact maybe its better the bosses get weakened a bit by the lag because they can be super strong. Senkoro had built in delay in a lot of boss attacks so you could react instead of getting mixed up all the time.

A patch with some big fixes and balance changes was released today. Excited to try it out.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

@Zaarock

I really enjoyed watching that, and was surprised I hadn't heard of the game before. You totally sold me on it.

I'm looking into buying it, and was trying to decide what system but your second post was super helpful in this regard. I assume it was steam you played? Steam is very popular here in Korea but ps4 is more popular in Japan.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Is there more than 3 levels for coop? Seems dumb that there are 2 more levels that have unique assets that aren't used when there clearly isn't anything that prevents it from being playable.

How do you unlock The Host? I've been trying tp figure that one out.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I read that a physical release was announced at the Kinda Funny Games Showcase, but it didn't mention which platform.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

From the dev thread :
sp8cewave wrote:Hey everyone, pre-orders are now live for the physical release of Rival Megagun on PS4 and Nintendo Switch!

More info at https://firstpressgames.com/collections/rival-megagun.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

If this came out a year ago, it would have been an automatic buy, but I'm getting rid of all my physical PS4 games right now. It looks like a cool package though.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
heli

Post by heli »

Another limited physical game publisher ?

https://firstpressgames.com
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com
https://limitedrungames.com

Am i missing more ?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

heli wrote:Another limited physical game publisher ?

https://firstpressgames.com
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com
https://limitedrungames.com

Am i missing more ?
Hi, there is special reserve games aswell. https://specialreservegames.com/ i have ordered from them in the past for The Messenger. They were very much in line with Limited Run and the quality of the physical release was really good.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I generally like to buy at least one LE/CE of every new physical shmup that comes out, assuming I can afford it. Looking at the price of this one, however, I'm probably going to skip that, and go with the standard Switch release. I get Switch Online free through my Twitch subscription, and have a few friends I know who might be willing to play the game with me. No PSN, so that's probably out.