IRO HERO launches on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux on July 31st

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
IroHero

IRO HERO launches on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux on July 31st

Post by IroHero »

[UPDATE 20/07/2018]
Hi!
We will be launching IRO HERO tomorrow (July 31st) on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux.

We have added 4 new modes (also already available on Switch):
  • Arcade: The original vision for the game. No continues, but you can exchange some of your points for lives at the end of each level.
  • Normal: A more accessible challenge. In addition to the possibility of exchanging points for lives, you also have 3 credits to continue the match from the same level you died.
  • Story: The easiest mode. Once you finish a level, the next level gets unlocked and you can henceforth start the game from there.
  • 1CC: The hardest challenge for the most hardcore players. No possibility of buying ships and no continues.
Besides, we have rebalanced shots speed to make them faster as someone suggested in this thread (Though the video doesn't show this, we didn't find time to prepare a new video, sorry)

I hope some of you will give it a chance, so just let me know your thoughts here. It will be interesting to get your feedback :)
Let me tell you that it is from level 3 that things get really interesting. In levels 1 and 2 we only wanted less experienced players to get familiar with the switch polarity mechanic. I will be looking forward to reading your comments. Specially from those able to beat the whole game ;)

Finally, I would like to give away a couple of keys in the forum in order to celebrate that we have come this far.
So, if you allow me to do this, the first two people answering in this thread the right answer to the question What does the word "iro" mean? will get one ;)

Latest video here --> https://youtu.be/dQKhZBUCKUY

[ORIGINAL POST]
Hi everyone!
As most of you probably don't know me, first of all I will introduce myself.
I'm quite new here, though I'm not new at all in videogames, and I have been also developing games during the last years.
A year and a half ago I founded my own studio with a good friend of mine, an since then we have been developing this game that,
after some research in order to introduce it to she shmup community, has brought me to know this forum.

The game is IRO HERO, a very arcade, pixel art, vertical scroll shmup.

Speaking straight clear, IRO means color in japanese.
That's the name of our main character, and we inspired in Ikaruga's color change mechanic. (I'm a big fan of Ikaruga myself).
This said, end of the similarities.
It's very hard for us to explain that the gameplay is nothing like Ikaruga, and that the rythm of our game takes elements from platforms and puzzles.
Yes, there are a lot of bullets, but we have tried to not become another bullet hell, requiring from the player something else than dodging and shooting.

The story has an anime spirit. Iro hast the unique ability to switch his inner energy polarity between red and blued.
Up to here it is what you could expect more or less: The opposite color kills you, the same color doesn't,
and it's the same in order to kill your enemies, you have to shoot them with the opposite color.
Besides, Iro has two special attacks that need to be charged by absorbing shots of the right color.
Sometimes it might even be a good choice to absorb shots instead of killing enemies.
There are also destroayable elements along the levels and items that provide add-ons for the spaceship.

From this point things get a little bit more complicated. We introduce mirrors and color areas of different color: Blue, red, purple and yellow.
Each of these colors affect to our shots, and also to enemy shots, in a different way.
Sometimes these areas and mirrors will be useful for us as cover, and other times they will become a problem,
as entering a color area with the wrong color implies a secure death.

We have put a lot of effort in creating interesting levels, proposing fast resolution puzzles that won't spoil the game rythm.
The concept is totally arcade. Each time you die, you learn something useful in order to reach to a farther point next time.
You start with three ships, and at the end of each level you can recover them paying for them with some of your score points.
But beware, losing your three lives within a level means death, the same way as though you were playing in an arcade maching with a coin.
This said, there is also a practice mode in order to improve your skills in those levels you have already reached. Some achievements can be also unlocked this way.

And last, but not least, we have included online leaderboards integrated with Steam and Switch,
in order to be able to compare your best score with the rest of the world or your friends.

And no much left to say!
Here I leave you with our last teaser. It's a bit out of date right now, but as soon as we have a new one I will update this post.

https://youtu.be/LLQATdKxsMw

If you want to share your opinions, ideas, impressions, feedback... you are more than welcome.
Until now we have only showed it in a couple of conventions, and we have always improved the game after listening to the players' feedback.
So any help or idea will be much appreciated ;)
And sure, I hope you will like it, and if you have any questions I'll be glad to start knowing you and answering them here.

Best wishes!
Last edited by IroHero on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
clippa

Re: Introducing IRO HERO

Post by clippa »

A lot of the bosses look very "blue revolver". Did you take some inspiration from that game?
It's not for me personally, I dislike puzzle elements in shmups, I dislike polarity switching, I just don't enjoy using my brain that way, it feels more like a chore than fun. I'd have preferred "just another bullet hell", but good luck with it. It looks pretty good!
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi clippa!

Thanks a lot. Though I'm sorry that it is not your kind of game, I'm glad that you think it looks good! :)

Concerning Blue Revolver, I guess you mean the boss in frame 00:54 in the teaser. The truth is... yes! One of our artists is a huge fan of Blue Revolver! He wanted to make a sort of tribute, but it ended up being so similar to the original, that we finally decided to make a new one that you will be able to see in our next teaser.
(It's not bad to look like Blue Revolver. I think that it would be a good thing, actually, but we didn't want anyone to think that we were making copy and paste from it, so that boss won't be in the game finally :P)
FRO

Post by FRO »

This looks like something I would enjoy - very cool to see it coming to the Switch! Will this be digital only, or have you been in talks with anyone to produce a physical copy?
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi FRO,
really glad that you like it!

I'm afraid it will be digital only:(
Don't know much about this, to be honest. But our publisher mentioned that going physical implies a big amount of copies, and as an indie developer that's a risk we cannot afford:P
FRO

Post by FRO »

IroHero wrote:Hi FRO,
really glad that you like it!

I'm afraid it will be digital only:(
Don't know much about this, to be honest. But our publisher mentioned that going physical implies a big amount of copies, and as an indie developer that's a risk we cannot afford:P
You might reach out to Limited Run Games, and see if they would be willing to take a look at it. They've released a number of shmups over the last couple years.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Thanks a lot of FRO!
That sounds good, so we will do:)
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi everyone!

As promised, here I'm leaving the link to our last video showing current gameplay.
We will be releasing the official trailer soon, but just wanted to keep you updated with the latest news. The previous video had become too old, indeed.

https://youtu.be/2guBy5hd6Tg

Hope you like it!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The game will be out on the 7th of June for the Switch. (I guess PC is for later?) There's a new trailer for the occasion :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtdvFZHhs4

It looks visually nice, but the main shot's lackluster speed is really odd.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I like the look as well, and the inclusion of stage hazards.

It seems like reading dialogue during gameplay would be awkward, though.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi everyone!

I was looking forward to coming here to post the news, but we have been really busy with the last tweaks for the game and the press release and almost haven't had time. But... here we are!

@M.Knight
Thanks a lot for posting!
Yes, PC version is coming later. We don't know the concrete date for the Steam release yet, but I can confirm now that it will be released during this same month (June 2018). And it will support Mac and Linux (I'm particularly happy for Linux :P )
Concerning the speed of the shot, I think you mean it is slow... and well, that's true. It is slow compared to most of shmups, but there is a reason for that. It is being hard for us to explain this, because most of the people that read about the game tend to think that it wants to be a clone of Ikaruga. The truth is that, though we use the color change mechanic, that's not the case. (For me, this would be like saying that all 2D platformers are clones of Mario because the character jumps :P) I think Ikaruga was perfect as it was, and it would have been a nonsense to try to make an Ikaruga wannabe.
Only the first two levels are quite similar to Ikaruga. In those levels we are still introducing the color change mechanic for newcomers that don't know about it and need to learn it. In level 3, we start to introduce a new element in each level, and combine it with the ones from the previous levels to build small puzzles that the player needs to resolve fast. To provide an easy example: purple zones invert the color of your shots. So, if there is a purple zone between you and a blue enemy, you have to stay blue in order to let the purple zone invert your shot's color and then kill the enemy, instead of switching to red. Things get more complex along the levels, as we combine different elements and still you have to also avoid enemy fire and kill enemies. The key point is to not waste a shot, and use the right color in the right moment. Thus, the rythm is very different to Ikaruga, though still there are a lot of bullets and enemies. If we allowed the player to spam a lot of fast shots, this kind of gameplay based in fast analysis and decission making wouldn't have been possible. Hope you like the idea. What I can say is that we have balanced all the levels to build an exciting and tight experience, and that it is fun. But probably any developer would be saying the same about his game, so... XD

@Mortificator
Glad that you like the graphics, thanks a lot!
Yes, you are right. It is not easy to read the dialogues the first time you play a level, but we have managed to introduce them in the most quite parts in each level. We considered stopping the game somehow for the dialogues, but wanted to provide the kind of feeling that a pilot might have, when having to attend a conversation while shooting and avoiding enemy fire.

Thanks a lot to everyone, please keep posting if you have any questions or feedback, I'll be glad to anwser :)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I noticed the yellow and purple areas/bullets in the trailer, yup!
I still think there must be a way for the shots to be fast whithout breaking the color system but that would require a non-neglectible amount of rebalancing and tweaking. If there is a scoring system, it can also push you towards not wasting your shots while still allowing you to fire lots of fast bullets if you want. In Ikaruga, you have the small shot which is exactly made to give you more control if you need it to maintain your chain without gimping the main shot. Of course, since your game is different, the solution could be different as well, but you get the idea.

Maybe the shot speed as it is works fine when actually playing the game, it just does not help selling it because slow shot speeds is something you mostly have in bad euroshmups and is not usually synonymous with the arcade intensity we love. Not saying your game is a euroshmup, but it can be perceived as such simply based on the video.

Also, are the enemy types varied? The trailer showcases different bosses but the small fry seems to always be the same, and while their behavior has a few small variations, their sprite is identical.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Yes, it would have been nice to have different sprites for the basic enemies, but we had to prioritize the level elements, such as color zones, mirrors, asteroids, obstacles, spawners... as these were the key to improve gameplay and make it more innovative :)
guigui

Post by guigui »

The game is out now, anybody tried it ? I also fear the slow shot as shown in the trailer.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

i like the score counter and the fact that there's only 6 digits.

i think the scoreboard should use a font other than the blue revolver one. unless the blue revolver devs don't mind.

i REALLY don't like the firepower, it looks like that's gonna be a problem real fast.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi there!

We have had a problem with the keys for reviews. Basically we haven't received them from NoA yet.
I guess that's why there are only a few reviews.

Here I leave some reviews if you want to take a look:

https://switchwatch.co.uk/iro-hero-nint ... ch-review/
https://switchfan.org/jeux/review-iro-hero/
http://es.ign.com/iro-hero-nintendo-swi ... ndo-switch
http://theswitcheffect.net/2018/06/revi ... do-switch/
http://www.cubed3.com/review/4902/1/iro ... witch.html

Some people are loving it and some are not loving it so much, but mainly for the same reason: They say that it is too difficult. And hey, let's be honest. It is difficult.
We strongly believe that it is ok as it is, but well... I understand that not every player is eager to spend so much time in a game, specially if it is not called Dark Souls XDD.
So, we are working on two new game modes for more casual players that will be added soon. (Soon, in this case, means in a couple of weeks) And an extra 1cc mode for those not so casual gamers like me ;)

PD: By the way, it's not Blue Revolver font, we did it ourselves. Though it is certainly inspired in it because the artist was a huge fan of the game and wanted to do something of the sort.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Hi,

I noticed that this was not available for purchase yesterday. Will this be back soon?

Thanks.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi geremy!

Yes, it will be back soon. We are taking advantage of the problem in order to prepare the new game modes.
They are finished now and we are taking some time in order to test that everything works properly and that no new bugs have appeared with the implementation of the new features.

Hopefully next week it will be out again!
guigui

Post by guigui »

Will the new modes/version increase the fire rate and fire speed ?

On the gameplay video, these were the 2 factors that prevented me from buying the game :
1) seeing that my ship is almost as fast as my bullets
2) and that focusing on a series of (what looks like) popcorn enemies does not manage to kill them all.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi guigui!

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

The answer is Yes, we will be increasing the speed of the bullets, like a 25% higher. That makes a big difference compared to the speed of your ship.
Concerning the second point, there are some waves that pop in twice, in order to give you the chance to kill those that escaped your fire the first time.
Only if you perform really well will be able to kill them the first time. So I guess perhaps that was one of the waves that you noticed in the video :)
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Any update on when it's gonna be back on the Switch Eshop?
IroHero

Re: IRO HERO launches on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux on July 31st

Post by IroHero »

Hi!
I updated the first message with some additional info because I didn't want to spam with a new post.
The most relevant info (I guess) is that we are releasing on Steam tomorrow and that I'm giving away two keys to download the game to celebrate it and thank the forum for the nice advices and support during this time.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:Any update on when it's gonna be back on the Switch Eshop?
Sorry! i never noticed your message. I guess you probably already know that it is already available on Switch.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

What does the word "iro" mean?
Based on the Ikaruga inspiration (and some light googling), I'm going with 'color'?

Looking forward to trying out IRO HERO on steam! :)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Anybody had the opportunity to play it, either on Switch or now on PC? There were some bonus modes and shot balance changes mentionned in the previous posts, are they in the PC version or not yet?
All I know is that according to this steam thread, there isn't even any input rebinding (at least for controllers) :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/709750/d ... 502017021/
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

IroHero wrote:Finally, I would like to give away a couple of keys in the forum in order to celebrate that we have come this far.
So, if you allow me to do this, the first two people answering in this thread the right answer to the question What does the word "iro" mean? will get one ;)
Iro (色') in Japanese means colour.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

M.Knight wrote:Anybody had the opportunity to play it, either on Switch or now on PC? There were some bonus modes and shot balance changes mentionned in the previous posts, are they in the PC version or not yet?
All I know is that according to this steam thread, there isn't even any input rebinding (at least for controllers) :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/709750/d ... 502017021/
Hi!
No, there's no input rebinding. But it fully supports Xbox and PS4 controllers so most of the people shouldn't need it.
The new modes and shots rebalance are already included in PC/Mac/Linux versions.
djsheep wrote:
IroHero wrote:Finally, I would like to give away a couple of keys in the forum in order to celebrate that we have come this far.
Iro (色') in Japanese means colour.
Hi djsheep, that's right. So I will be sending your key via private message in a moment. (I already sent the other key to kaiza yesterday) Congrats to the both of you.^_^

I'm getting used to say this: Please notice that the game starts to show what it has to offer from level 3. Levels 1 and 2 are only for those less experienced players to get familiar with the polarity switch mechanic. Hope you enjoy it. ;)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

IroHero wrote: The new modes and shots rebalance are already included in PC/Mac/Linux versions.
Oh, nice! Come to think of it, the new trailer does have a higher player shot speed, that's cool.

I can understand not focusing on controller-related input rebinding right now if you were busy with the balance fixes, new modes and other stuff for the PC release, but I think it is still very important that you have that in your roadmap for the near-future updates.
It doesn't matter if your preset control scheme is perfect and ergonomical, there's always someone who will think it's garbage, either because it's not what he is used to, or because he prefers unconventional control schemes. In other situations, it can also be related to the kind of controller he is using. If somebody uses an arcade stick and the buttons are arranged in positions that do not match the preset inputs made for controllers, then what can he do? In any case, I already found "that guy" on the steam forums, and I am sure he is not going to be the only one.

Which brings me to the other reason input rebinding is important : it's a standard feature and a sign of a polished game. People who don't mind the default control scheme won't probably mention it, but those who do will, and this can be a deterrent for potential players. It gives off the feeling of a lack of care from the devs. While this is not true and there surely must be lots of efforts made on your team's part, this is not going to be seen by people who'll see someone complaining about lack of input rebinding (and TATE by extension) and potentially lose interest.
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

M.Knight wrote:
IroHero wrote: The new modes and shots rebalance are already included in PC/Mac/Linux versions.
Oh, nice! Come to think of it, the new trailer does have a higher player shot speed, that's cool.

I can understand not focusing on controller-related input rebinding right now if you were busy with the balance fixes, new modes and other stuff for the PC release, but I think it is still very important that you have that in your roadmap for the near-future updates.
It doesn't matter if your preset control scheme is perfect and ergonomical, there's always someone who will think it's garbage, either because it's not what he is used to, or because he prefers unconventional control schemes. In other situations, it can also be related to the kind of controller he is using. If somebody uses an arcade stick and the buttons are arranged in positions that do not match the preset inputs made for controllers, then what can he do? In any case, I already found "that guy" on the steam forums, and I am sure he is not going to be the only one.

Which brings me to the other reason input rebinding is important : it's a standard feature and a sign of a polished game. People who don't mind the default control scheme won't probably mention it, but those who do will, and this can be a deterrent for potential players. It gives off the feeling of a lack of care from the devs. While this is not true and there surely must be lots of efforts made on your team's part, this is not going to be seen by people who'll see someone complaining about lack of input rebinding (and TATE by extension) and potentially lose interest.
Hi M.Knight!
Indeed, the new trailer doesn't reflect the new speed for the shot. Though we wanted to launch a different trailer for Steam, we are small studio (sigh :P) and couldn't find time to capture new gameplay, so, though we prepared a new trailer, we used for that the old captured gameplay. The shots are like 50% faster than what you see in the trailer. Sorry about that :)
Thanks a lot for your comments! We don't know yet if there will be more new updates to the game. It is a long process to get validated each time. But if we finally are able to do it, the control rebinding will be one of our priorities.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The game, which was on PC and Switch, is now also going to be released for the PS4 and XONE :
https://gematsu.com/2019/12/iro-hero-co ... ecember-18

The article mentions that the game received updates since the launch version and those will also be included in the new ports. Has anybody here played Iro Hero with these new features and adjustements? How is the game now with said adjustments?