Ninja Soldier (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: Ninja Soldier (M2)

Post by Sumez »

Before anyone else drops in to help me derail the thread further - yes, I know this makes sense: 2018-04-01, but this doesn't: 4/1 2018.

:P
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

the april fool's is that they actually worked on it
Stevens wrote:Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an April Fool's joke.
what about Arika's fighting ex layer?? that was a sequel to their previous april fool's where they teased a 3DS prototype of the game before switching to PS4 and turning it into a real game
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Van_Artic wrote:the april fool's is that they actually worked on it
Stevens wrote:Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an April Fool's joke.
what about Arika's fighting ex layer?? that was a sequel to their previous april fool's where they teased a 3DS prototype of the game before switching to PS4 and turning it into a real game
Didn't know that was a thing tbh. Elaborate hoax's could be the new way of seeing if people are excited for something:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Fighting Layer Ex has the potential to become a huge breakthrough for Arika! It's been making waves, so if it turns out to actually be good, maybe they'll finally be able to turn those profits into TGM4 :3
Would love to see them create an original shooter some time, too.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Sumez wrote:Fighting Layer Ex has the potential to become a huge breakthrough for Arika! It's been making waves, so if it turns out to actually be good, maybe they'll finally be able to turn those profits into TGM4 :3
Didn't Arika do Metal Torrent? That was a while ago, of course.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I keep forgetting about that :) I was thinking something on a somewhat bigger scale, and not handheld. :P

They of course also did Death Label for DOJ and Ketsui as well as EspGaluda arrange, etc. While not entirely original games, they differ a lot from the games they are based on.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Sumez wrote:I keep forgetting about that :) I was thinking something on a somewhat bigger scale, and not handheld. :P

They of course also did Death Label for DOJ and Ketsui as well as EspGaluda arrange, etc. While not entirely original games, they differ a lot from the games they are based on.
Yeah, it's definitely not the most full feeling game, but moderately fun at least. Plus, you can see from Khoa's run that there's some amount of scoring depth there. I'll admit though that I didn't play it much beyond the blind 1LC in accipeteur mode :lol:
1) Create Scoring System
GSK

Post by GSK »

Sumez wrote:Fighting Layer Ex has the potential to become a huge breakthrough for Arika! It's been making waves, so if it turns out to actually be good, maybe they'll finally be able to turn those profits into TGM4 :3
I'm pumped for FEXL but that game will struggle just to break even, let alone make them much money, and if it fails then you can forget about getting anything else from Arika.

The bottleneck for more TGM is The Tetris Company, not Arika--there's a new TGM game sitting on the shelf that probably won't ever come out because TTC says no.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

The fact that Arika is making a not-sequel to the Street Fighter EX series is good enough for me. I always wanted to see the EX roster one more time in a new game. I'm still miffed that Arika cheaped out on translating the endings for the original AC/PS1 games though and thus English fansites are filled with fanfiction nonsense surrounding the characters being treated as canon.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GSK wrote: The bottleneck for more TGM is The Tetris Company, not Arika--there's a new TGM game sitting on the shelf that probably won't ever come out because TTC says no.
I'm surprised that they actually said yes to Puyo Puyo Tetris. I was especially not expecting it to come to the US. I wish TTC wasn't so messed up, not just in the enforcing of stupid rules, but in going crazy over freeware Tetris clones, as well. Arika was involved with a few recent Dr. Mario games, but I'm not sure what the reception is for those (I like what I played of them, but I'm not sure if something broke with them). I heard their Puzzle Bobble game wasn't so hot.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Have TTC actually ever made any moves against freeware clones? I think the only accounts of lawsuits are against commercial products. Meanwhile, Nullpomino, Cultris and Texmaster have been going without issues for years. Lockjaw was pulled, but I'm pretty sure Tepples did that on his own, he can be dramatic like that. Either way, I agree that it's absurd how they try to apply their copyright to unpatented game mechanics. Creating this type of game should be free for anyone.

Arika (Mihara) are the ones who are seriously condemning the clones (would be funny if they ended up releasing TGM4 as one :P It has been going around bearing only the name "The Grand Master" in location tests, to avoid licencing issues I guess)
GSK wrote: The bottleneck for more TGM is The Tetris Company, not Arika--there's a new TGM game sitting on the shelf that probably won't ever come out because TTC says no.
TTC says no because Arika doesn't have the presence or finances. Only one company gets to hold the licence per platform, so they probably wouldn't trust niche-brand Arika with it.
I feel like if FEXL becomes succesful they would be more likely to find a publisher to help them actually publish a Tetris game via the rights from TTC. TGM4 has already been through Taito and Sega before, but both ended up botching it somehow.
It's just wishful thinking, of course, but I'm not the only one sharing the assessment.
GSK

Post by GSK »

The latest TGM already had a publisher lined up (Arc System Works).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I guess that makes three then :P
CRP

Post by CRP »

Enough now. Please return to topic . Thanks
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

KAI wrote: I'm still surprised the EXA arcadia team didn't make an announce today.
We thought about it but then it wouldn’t be a joke, we would have announced something real.
become history
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shou wrote:
KAI wrote: I'm still surprised the EXA arcadia team didn't make an announce today.
We thought about it but then it wouldn’t be a joke, we would have announced something real.
Subtle hint? ;)
KAI

Post by KAI »

Wolf Fang by G.rev confirmed?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

New interview: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201805/09156983.html

Seems to confirm that this is a real project, and they'd like to bring it to arcades, but are still trying to make arrangements. There are some other interesting bits in there about how the project came to be and why it was revealed the way it was, but I'll leave that for someone better at Japanese than me to translate.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

The actual superior date format is YYYY.MM.DD That one goes from the largest unit to the smallest unit in steps. Makes it very easy to organize things.
1) Create Scoring System
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Nah, going from smallest to biggest makes most sense. I.e. The European way.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not if you're computer, or for sorting purposes.

Either way is fine with me as long as they actually follow the same order throughout...
FRO

Post by FRO »

Anyone seen any other updates on this? The page is still up on the M2 ShotTriggers site, but the most recent thing I have seen is on this page:

https://arcadeheroes.com/arcade-pinball ... -for-2019/

And this line:
*Ninja Soldier by M2 & Exa-Arcadia (TBA 2020) Ӕ
GSK

Post by GSK »

The people making Ninja Soldier had to put it on hold to work on more urgent projects but it's not dead.

I don't believe it was specifically announced for EXA, either--M2's offered in-principle support for EXA and a general desire to do something but no hard commitments in terms of games. Their last public statement, and this came a while ago so it may no longer be an issue, was that their current techniques for lag minimisation did not work on W10 and by extension EXA, and until those were fixed they probably weren't going to go ahead with anything on either platform.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Makes sense - thanks for the info! Still hoping we see this at some point, because it looks awesome.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good to know it's still underway, I completely slept on this one. Just that thread title fires me up. :cool:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I like the look of it. I hope it comes to consoles soon after.