AI and shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NAVVARR

AI and shmups

Post by NAVVARR »

Ok, so a lot of Shmups are either reflex or memory based games.

Has anyone designed an AI yet to learn how to play shmups? Would be quite cool to see an AI taking on a game and through trial an error learning how to master than game either for score or for a clear run.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: AI and shmups

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There are a couple different games I can think of with AI in shmups that are able to react and dodge. The first are VS shmups, whereby the AI is programmed to try and give a challenge to the players as an opponent, and is generally better at making ridiculous dodges on higher difficulties. The AI doesn't have any learning element and using super complex, usually just checking the area around itself and using its reaction speed to unnaturally dodge things (while being unable to predict or plan around certain things that are readily telegraphed and avoidable to a human player). Examples include:

* Change Air Blade
* Touhou 3: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream
* Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View
* Twinkle Star Sprites

As far as programming an AI to "solve" a game in terms of a stage-based shmup, the only example I can think of is the unlockable AI partner in the Xbox 360 port of Dodonpachi Saidaioujou which lets you play with an AI partner. The AI can dodge pretty effectively, but does not attempt to score or optimize stage routes, and does not have any kind of "learning" algorithm. You also control when it uses shot or laser (it uses them according to when you use shot or laser) and it also does not bomb or hyper on its own (as far as I remember, my memory's fuzzy here, haven't played the AI partner mode in a while). Basically, it's a simple AI like the VS shmups that merely focuses on dodging stuff around it.

As far as an AI which has the ability to learn a game stage-by-stage similar to this AI that learned how to play a Super Mario World level, I'm not familiar with something like that.
Cata

Re: AI and shmups

Post by Cata »

I've always wondered if eventually we get to a point where neural networks are good enough to play shmups that the top superplayers just copy the ai routes :lol: