SHMUPS for Xbox One

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Phatnightmares

SHMUPS for Xbox One

Post by Phatnightmares »

Hello everyone,
I never owned an Xbox 360, but I was always interested in the SHMUPS it had to offer, such as the Dodonpachi series. Since the Xbox One is backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games, I was wondering about the following:

1) Can an American Xbox One play physical copies of Japanese Xbox 360 games?
2) Are there any Xbox 360 SHMUPS that I can currently play on the Xbox One?
3) What are some SHMUPS on the Xbox One that are worth playing?

Thanks!
reckon luck

Re: SHMUPS for Xbox One

Post by reckon luck »

1. Not if the game hasn't been added to the backwards compatibility list, and even then I'm not sure. None of them have been added yet.

2:
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Guwange
R-Type Dimensions
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Capcom Arcade Cabinet
Arcade Archives Neo Geo series (Pulstar, Blazing Star, Aero Fighters...)

Battle Garegga rev. 2016 (also on PS4)
Dangun Feveron (available April 4th, also on PS4)
Cuphead (mostly run n' gun, has shmup stages, don't sleep on this gem)
Raiden V (not the Director's Cut that PS4/PC got)
Super Hydorah

Still waiting on M2 to localize their other Shottriggers ports (Sorcer Striker, etc.), and for Raiden Fighters Aces, Under Defeat, and Akai Katana to get backwards compatibility. It'd be amazing if the japan-only, physical-only games like Futari got BC, and somehow became available digitally too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Last edited by reckon luck on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Just do yourself a giant favor and get a Japanese 360. The sheer amount of awesome shmups is worth the small amount of work you'd need to do to obtain one.
XB1 is hot garbage.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Triggerheart Exelica (XBLA) is compatible with Xbone, I believe.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

ATTRACTS wrote:Just do yourself a giant favor and get a Japanese 360. The sheer amount of awesome shmups is worth the small amount of work you'd need to do to obtain one.
XB1 is hot garbage.

^ This all day long. My Xbone one is now an expensive paper weight :P
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

I really like my Xbox One, and prefer it to PC/PS4 these days.

But yeah, if what you really want is japanese 360 shmups, then get a japanese 360. It's extremely unlikely that those titles will become backwards compatible anytime soon.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Natsuki Chronicle might actually be released this year too.

Xbox One is probably the best system for shmups thanks to the BC program, Ignore the moron who thinks it's garbage.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Imo he's not being moronic, more like realistic.
Making niche shmups b/c is not a high priority for Microsoft. They will probably work on the high profile games first.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Xbone is the biggest disappointment I ever had with a console, even bigger than the PS3.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

AFXisatwin wrote:Imo he's not being moronic, more like realistic.
Making niche shmups b/c is not a high priority for Microsoft. They will probably work on the high profile games first.
There's already stuff like Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun among lots of others, What's the excuse going to be when everything is eventually backward compatible?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heck, even a plain ol' US or PAL 360 might not be a bad acquisition if you have trouble finding an imported one, as a bunch of the 360's shmups were either localized or released region-free; a few are still only playable on a JP system, but a good chunk of the library is available even on a non-JP system.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

There is nothing wrong with Xbox One

There are a ton of Backwards compatible shmups
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Austin

Post by Austin »

LordHypnos wrote:Triggerheart Exelica (XBLA) is compatible with Xbone, I believe.
As are:

Strania
KoF Sky Stage
Omega Five
Raiden IV
Bullet Soul
Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst

On the Xbone front there is also Teslapunk and Ghost Blade HD.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

ATTRACTS wrote:Just do yourself a giant favor and get a Japanese 360. The sheer amount of awesome shmups is worth the small amount of work you'd need to do to obtain one.
This. Tbh, the Xbox One ain't half bad thanks to backwards compatibility but stuff like DOJBLEX alone is worth owning a JP X360.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

If you have an Xbox One and don't have Ghost Blade HD, you really should get it. The original is hot garbage, so it probably put people off of it, but HD is worth owning. Good music and good action!
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

RGH modded Xbox 360 is the way to go. Region free and can run games off a HDD without the disc.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Astro City II wrote:There's already stuff like Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun among lots of others, What's the excuse going to be when everything is eventually backward compatible?
Correct me if I am wrong, but only digital games listed on the NA store have been given backwards compatibility support. It seems unlikely that niche JP only games, some of which were physical only, will get updated ever.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

I just bought a used Xbox One and want to add some shmups to my digital library.

I have an austrian account and Battle Garegga is not available in the austrian store. I could find it on the german one.

I also want to have the BC 360 game Raiden IV which is available in the US.

Can I just buy these games and use them on my austrian One?
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Kollision wrote:Xbone is the biggest disappointment I ever had with a console, even bigger than the PS3.
Going beyond the shmup issue, I would like to leave some comments here:

In my humble opinion, with the exception of the main games in the Halo series (obviously Microsoft's most important series), there are an expressive amount of great Microsoft games available for PC like "Ori and the Blind Forest" (amazing metroidvania that I finished about 15 days ago), "Cuphead", "Forza Motorstorm 7", "Forza Horizon 3" and a few more. For people who have a good PC (my case), keeping an Xbox One becomes something close to redundant, because I can play these games with a graphic quality even higher than the original console and with the use of similar controls (in my specific case, I usually play on the PC with the original Xbox 360 Wireless control and also with the Dualshock 4 of my PS4 Pro that has full compatibility with Windows 10 by bluetooth).

In my understanding, what I explained above would not apply to the same degree when we talk about PS4 due to its greater amount of really exclusives and this same logic also applies to the Nintendo Switch (to an even greater degree I would say). I really love consoles, even because they're the basis of my entire gamer life and this explanation justifies the main reasons why I bought a PS4 Pro, ignored the Xbox One and I'll buy a Nintendo Switch soon, but there's something I need to praise about the Xbox One: the backward compatibility with many Xbox 360 titles and even classics from the first Xbox. Although I own a Xbox 360 slim working perfectly well today, if someday my "Xisboca" presents some serious defect or even die, so I'll probably get an Xbox One to replace it and then enjoy my Xbox 360's discs purchased over the years.

About PS3, I really like this system and it has some unique exclusives like "The Motorstorm Trilogy", "The Puppeteer", "LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2", "Metal Gear Solid 4", "Gran Turismo 5 and 6" (these two has a fantastic handling with steering wheel, much better than any Forza I've ever played), "Ratchet & Clank Series" and even some good shumps. I fully agree with anyone who says that the PS3 is noticeably inferior with regard to the library of shmups, especially when we take into account the diversity available for the Japanese Xbox 360. I also fully agree with whoever says that in almost all cross-platform games the Xbox 360 is better graphically than the same versions of PS3. However, in general, I consider PS3 a great console which had a controversial beginning due to certain mistaken decisions of Sony, but PS3 has recovered beautifully over the years with Sony's smart investments, becoming very similar to Xbox 360's worldwide audience acceptance, of course, with the exception of the Japanese archipelago where the Xbox brand remains with low acceptance.

The taste issue is essentially subjective, but this is my defense of the PS3 system.

P.S: I hope Sony recognizes my efforts and gives me some free PS4 games in return. Lol. :mrgreen:
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Hey, what do you know, this whole thread is almost nothing but morons claiming the console is "trash" and saying how amazing Nintendo and Sony are. I'd hoped shmups fans were more intelligent and reasonable than your average assbag mainstream gamer, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Xbox One actually has an equal amount of shmups playable on it as PS4 (and more than Switch) when you count backwards compatible games, and still has some shmups that are not out on any of the other current gen consoles. PS4 also has a handful of exclusive shmups, but many of them are also very underwhelming or boring and honestly weren't worth the price, so it all balances out to me. I also don't count twin stick shooters or games where you scroll the screen on your own as shmups, they're totally different genres to me.

The Switch is a whole different story, with awful "exclusive" shovelware shmups galore and barebones ports of Psikyo games. There's only 2 really decent "exclusive" shmups on Switch (Sisters Royale and RXN,) the rest were a complete waste of money and a big regret for me.
kassj0peja wrote:I have an austrian account and Battle Garegga is not available in the austrian store. I could find it on the german one.

I also want to have the BC 360 game Raiden IV which is available in the US.

Can I just buy these games and use them on my austrian One?
Yes, you can buy those games digitally on another account with another region, but you need to set your Xbox One as the "home" Xbox for that gamertag it was purchased with (in the console settings) or have that account signed in on another controller to play it with your main gamertag. You can also use discs from any region to install and play backwards compatible games.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Is there a disc version of Battle Garegga? I can not find one on Play Asia.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

kassj0peja wrote:Is there a disc version of Battle Garegga? I can not find one on Play Asia.
Not for Xbox One, no. The only version that has a disc is the Korean PS4 version, where all the menus and text are in Korean as well
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD