shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:27 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm 

Shou wrote:
kuze wrote:
schleichfahrt wrote:
You're missing the card square that says "CAVE decided to unfuck themselves and are making arcade shmups again" :wink:

How cool would it be if we got a new Ikeda or Yagawa game on Exa?

Shou please make this happen!! :P :mrgreen:

8)

What the FUCK

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:21 pm 

Cave making a new arcade shooter and releasing it for a platform that legally binds them as unable to ever release an actually accessible version of the game could almost make me join the Bananamatic side of the arguments.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Cave making a new arcade shooter and releasing it for a platform that legally binds them as unable to ever release an actually accessible version of the game could almost make me join the Bananamatic side of the arguments.

Eh, it just has to have something that's exclusive to EXA. So probably just a mode or ship that's EXA exclusive, then when it gets another release, replace that with something different. Not like there aren't a bunch of impossible to play CAVE variants already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:35 pm 

Yes if they released a brand new game on eXA nothing would forbid them to release a console-specific version as long as it doesn't include the arcade original.
I don't envy the handful who would possibly spend a salary on the 'pcb' only to play the first version, when I know several more will fatally follow in various prints, DLC 'n shit, like during the 360 era.

I'm more curious to see if they'd be able to renew interest with some creativity instead of remixing their library, they've pretty much exhausted the Cave-branded bullet-hell-with-twelve-variants-of-gameplay vein already, so...hope it's not DDP MEGA JESUS BEE DAINANA FUKKATSU (then black, blue, A, Z, pr0n, curry-flavoured)

EDIT: ugh, another DDP would make it the seventh, not sixth lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:53 pm 

DietSoap wrote:
Shou wrote:
8)

What the FUCK

What the FUCKING FUCK!

Btw, there's a nice jp wiki entry about ExA with specs, games list and some cool info
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExA-Arcadia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:54 pm 

brokenhalo wrote:
Not like there aren't a bunch of impossible to play CAVE variants already.

It's not like I'm defensive of the idea that Ibara Kuro is only available as a crazy expensive PCB.

I think ExA is totally cool, and I can completely understand that for their business model to be viable, they need to be able to offer something that's not available anywhere else.
But there's a point to be made about it possibly not really benefiting the majority of us, as we don't live in Japan and never will be able to be near any place that has these games running publicly.

Providing this is something that's actually gonna happen, I'm sure you guys are correct, and a unique version will eventually surface specifically for the home market, but we'll see what happens...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm 

Ideally they'd make a new original game for eXA, and a different version for console not too far away, leaving to M2 the job of polishing it.

Then about a year later, another new original arcade title, and same release pattern for home version, at such pace they'd be rolling again as legit shmups makers.

Maybe there's no big enough market for yearly releases of genuinely new productions anymore, but heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:05 pm 

Don't need a big market if people are willing to buy expensive games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 pm 

Yes for EXA that's the point, arcades operators and the little demographics of loaded collectors, otherwise developers wouldn't care to invest.
But what is it about console versions that you missed ? it was always part, or rather a side-business, of the arcades model in the past, no reason why it wouldn't be so again if sales on the arcades side do well, especially coming from Cave who've always exploited that side a lot through publishers.
Not saying there are no reasons for pessimism, surely we won't get console versions of everything, but it'll certainly trickle-down our way, and that's what should have most people's attention in the - hopefully near enough - future.

^The real issue and where concern would be better placed imho is here; how long it takes now and how much longer it will, the way I see it the success of EXA and of its potential positive side-consequences for us is a race against time, bc the genre has been on life support for so long, that many old players quit, and the number of new adopters remains extremely low.
It is probable that the genre has already become too niche/dead, that's what I mean by 'not big enough' market, and why I think only a couple new games from Cave released within a rather short period of time, with console offshoots to support, would do, anything less or taking too many years to happen, would have nearly no effect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 pm 

From a business perspective console versions are a bad idea if they reduce demand for EXA games sufficiently. If there aren't many buyers the price has to be high to sustain the business. I think we already know that selling a lot of games at a low price doesn't work in this genre any more. Maybe selling few games at a higher price will. If those few buyers can get the games at a lower price on a console, there may not be enough high-priced game sales to sustain the business.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 pm 

Well console games are supposed to be released some time after the arcades to generate a bonus revenue, not at the same time, and console games at regular price aren't cheapo Steam promotions either.
Also consider there aren't many arcades left anyway, so consoles versions won't get in the way much if at all in many part of the world, at least not until EXA units begin to appear locally.
Actually with most of the game's proper development money already invested the original arcade release, it'll make it easier, quicker and more affordable to make console versions and release them where or when they don't get in the way.

Worded differently, the argument of console versions getting in the way of arcades sales was real when arcades were still strong, as it was direct competition, today it would rather be a mistake not to release those 'ports' where and when it matters.
Only delaying reasonably in Japan would make sense, for most of the rest of the world I don't see the problem, again it's not like EXA cabs will suddenly begin to multiply like tribbles in Europe, not even in the US, like in the next few years.
Not sure about Asia though...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 pm 

It's interesting though seeing this the other way (just like it happened already):

making an arcade version of a console/PC game with bonuses and extras.

From our experience from the 80s and 90s we always had the opposite you already described, where we would put our quarters in the arcade cabs and patiently waiting for the ports to play those at home (with the interesting bonus that at that time there were no perfect ports, so the arcade version would still be superior in every possible conceivable way).

But time has changed and now, for some reason, I feel like making the game on console/PC first and see how it fares and *then* porting it to arcades with bonus/extras makes more sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 pm 

donluca wrote:
From our experience from the 80s and 90s we always had the opposite you already described, where we would put our quarters in the arcade cabs and patiently waiting for the ports to play those at home (with the interesting bonus that at that time there were no perfect ports, so the arcade version would still be superior in every possible conceivable way).

There's something really cool about that, and I love arcade games for it. But I won't lie and claim it's not just a rose tinted, romanticized version of the past. :)
More to the point though, it's not really relevant, knowing that I can't just go to an arcade and put in quarters to play these games. If I could, that would make ExA way more interesting to me. But there's 0% chance of these games ever appearing anywhere in my country, let alone within a 1000km radius of my home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 pm 

There's nothing romanticized about that... that's exactly how arcade ports happened. That's exactly how CAVE did their ports.

Sumez wrote:
But there's a point to be made about it possibly not really benefiting the majority of us, as we don't live in Japan and never will be able to be near any place that has these games running publicly.

Pretty much every Round 1 in the States is going to have some exA game. A lot of D&Bs will probably have exA too, at least for a while. Pretty sure all these barcades and "Japanese-themed" arcades popping up are looking at this too. That's where all this is going.

It's unfortunate there isn't really anything like Round 1 in Europe. But there are a lot of Japanese-themed arcade type places. I wonder if Round 1 has any plans for Europe...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 am 

Despatche wrote:
Pretty much every Round 1 in the States is going to have some exA game. A lot of D&Bs will probably have exA too, at least for a while.

Not sure what those are, but good for you I guess? Are these a widespread thing where you are from?
I honestly can't think of any single place that could actually benefit, economically, from investing in an ExA setup. Arcades are starting to pop up, but we're talking night clubs with a bunch of barely working "retro" cabinets here, basing their entire business around people's nostalgia.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:23 am 

Sumez wrote:
Not sure what those are, but good for you I guess? Are these a widespread thing where you are from?

Round 1 is an arcade/karaoke/bowling/bar chain with its roots in Japan, though it has a rapidly growing American division. Its main point of relevancy for us is that they have a lot of games on their locations that would normally only be available in Japan. This is mainly rhythm and other kinds of games for now, though Exa's large number of shmups may change that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 am 

I could play Cave-variations forever if they hade the high production-quality as their other games.
Ketsui 2, AK 2, Propeller wars, some new setting etc etc, bring em on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:31 am 

Ibara 2 :3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 am 

I imagine if CAVE gave Exa anything, it would be an arcade-specific version of their pretty princess mobile game (I forget the title of it).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:45 am 

Mahou Otome ? scary scenario, can't rule out the possibility tho *shiver*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am 

Not so sure about that.
Update Mahou otome to arcade with production/gameplay quality like their other arcade titles and you could very well end up with a vertical Deathsmiles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:22 am 

Speculation:

Seeing as how CAVE dismissed their entire arcade division years ago, I think we're going to get re-worked existing titles that test the market rather than new ones:

SDOJ BL
AK BL

Maybe a port of DDP Maximum? Aka to Blue went from mobile to arcade... Maybe CAVE Will do the same...?

IKD is still with the company I believe, and he could single-handedly BL anything he chooses. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:29 am 

rancor wrote:
think we're going to get re-worked existing titles that test the market rather than new ones

that would be terrible

rancor wrote:
IKD is still with the company I believe

for some reason I imagine him hirsute, in a filthy suit, collapsed at the back of a pachinko parlor, cig butt fused to his lips mumbling curses at Cave, and seeing flashing pink bullets everywhere in his drunken stupor

* suddenly next to poor IKD a smoke bomb detonates! YGW appears in an immaculate ninja outfit with his minions wearing yakuza shades because their faces dont matter. "wake him up and get his ass to work, the boss needs him coding asap, joker is almost done drawing the new lolis so hurry" *
* minion A grabs IKD by the hair "you heard him, dog? we have a deal with that eXAbanchou rookie, our group is back in business, so get to your desk and don't dishonour its name!" *

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm 

rancor wrote:
Speculation:

Seeing as how CAVE dismissed their entire arcade division years ago, I think we're going to get re-worked existing titles that test the market rather than new ones:

SDOJ BL
AK BL

Maybe a port of DDP Maximum? Aka to Blue went from mobile to arcade... Maybe CAVE Will do the same...?

IKD is still with the company I believe, and he could single-handedly BL anything he chooses. :mrgreen:

SDOJ BL is very welcome to fix meh vanilla.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:00 am 

rancor wrote:

SDOJ BL

At least with EXA, we can have decent sound from SDOJ now! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 am 

rancor wrote:

I'm not sure where I read it, but didn't he Black Label/modify Akai Katana in 2 days or something? It was in an interview somewhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:29 pm 

monouchi wrote:

This would be incredibly cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:07 pm 

OmegaFlareX wrote:
monouchi wrote:

This would be incredibly cool.

360 Version is good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:06 am 

SDOJ BL, with the original SDOJ thrown in DOJ style plus the bugfix. Perfect release. End the tyranny of unpatched SDOJ!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:14 am 

Despatche wrote:
SDOJ BL, with the original SDOJ thrown in DOJ style plus the bugfix. Perfect release. End the tyranny of unpatched SDOJ!

<3

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next