EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nomax

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by Nomax »

The price of Aka & Blue Type-R will increase at 16:00 CET on November 30th.

So, if you don't own this masterpiece yet, you have less than 16 hours to purchase it at the current price (1.569,99€ ex. VAT / 1.899,69€ inc. VAT).

Send an e-mail to exa@redsuns.be before 16:00 CET to secure your order (shipping from Belgium).

Every customer gets a free MP07-IONA-US JVS to USB converter, which allows you to use USB controllers with your exA-Arcadia (no arcade cabinet needed)!
It supports the new JVS' protocol, allowing for less than 1 frame of input lag in some exA games.

This offer (a JVS to USB MP07-IONA-US converter for the purchase of an exA-Arcadia game or system) is valid for all orders of exA-Arcadia products on https://redsuns.be/#exa until the end of the year 2022.

(sorry for the ad)

A soon-to-be released update of Aka & Blue Type-R (version 1.2.1) will bring the following changes:
  • Reduced input lag from 2 frames to 1 frame.
  • Added setting to configure different costs for game start and game continue.
  • Fixed save data loss bug when powering off during the Test Menu.
  • Expanded game quit command to now work in game during Free Play.
  • Reduced Free Play manual quit timer from 15 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Compatible with the APM2/3 cabinets' Home button.
  • DIP 3 now rotates the screen orientation 180 degrees.
  • JVS' standard compatibility added.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Yo,

Is there anyone out there who has scanned in any of the flyers/artwork that’s come with any of these releases?
In particular, I’m looking for the Strania Ex stuff… but would love to get my hands on the others.

If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. :)

Thanks
Ray
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Batsugun! I understand nothing, but Batsugun! https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202212020009/
BBH

Post by BBH »

does this mean Batsugun is going to get C&D'ed out of MAME now too lol
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

What is this even going to offer over the inevitable M2/Bitwave port anyway?

Side note, I got to play an Exa setup recently and it was mid, Aka to Blue was the only highlight and it just made me feel sore that Tanoshimasu is never porting it anywhere else, Vritra was decent but I can just...buy it on Steam and have pretty much the same experience minus the graphical differences
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

cave hermit wrote:Fuck shoutime for making this stupid FOMO bait platform, fuck Cave, Tanoshimasu, and all the other ip holders for playing along and doing these exclusivity deals in place of accessible ports, and fuck the shills.

These games might as well have never gotten modern ports. For them to be stuck on Exa is a slap in the face.
This. I can't speak for everyone else but I never asked for whatever extra content they may add in those EXA labels and don't need them. The originals are fine as they are and still 100% enjoyable.

Taking out games that have been available in MAME for years is a pretty shit move.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

What do you guys mean "taken out of MAME"...?
BBH

Post by BBH »

Starfighter wrote:What do you guys mean "taken out of MAME"...?
The MAME team was served a C&D by EXA to remove DoDonPachi SDOJ right when the roms became publically available, so it never got into a mainline version of MAME. I should point out that the HBMAME builds support it because they don't give a fuck.

They also forced the MAME team to remove Akai Katana from version 0.240, despite the fact that it's been playable in MAME since 0.192 and it takes no effort to find an older version of MAME that supports it.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Oh wow! I honestly had no idea roms were even provided with MAME to begin with, I guess that's where my confusion started. :D Thanks for the clarification!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

MAME doesn't distribute ROMs; it just has definitions of the different arcade boards that exist. exA's request was for MAME to drop support for those games, not to stop distributing them. Akai Katana's the weirdest one for me because it's not even exclusive to exA, given there's a non-exA Label version coming out on many platforms in like two weeks.

As for the actual exA Label games... I've only played SDOJ, but I'll say that the new exA Label mode in it is an absolute revelation. It totally transforms the game, and that mode specifically is one of my all-time favourite Cave games at this point. It's just incredibly fun to play, and genuinely much better than the base game - which I already love. The part that makes me sad is just that I can't really share that with most people because so few people have the ability to physically get to a cabinet of it. At the end of the day it's just a game, not everyone needs to play every game, but it's so good I really wish it were accessible to everyone.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ms. Tea wrote:Akai Katana's the weirdest one for me because it's not even exclusive to exA, given there's a non-exA Label version coming out on many platforms in like two weeks.
What's really hard to swallow is that anybody at Exarcadia does actually believe that whichever game being present on Mame can harm in any degree the Exa version's sales at this point. Any pirate, Mame-based form for the arcades was already there and will still be there. Add to this that Exarcadia can't send any C&D about an IP they don't really own (it's of course Cave's) and the whole thing just looks like Mamedev being Mamedev once again.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Add to this that Exarcadia can't send any C&D about an IP they don't really own (it's of course Cave's) and the whole thing just looks like Mamedev being Mamedev once again.
Did you not see the link I posted above? MAMEDEV really did receive a C&D from them, and Akai Katana and DDP SDOJ drivers are still absent as of MAME 0.250. This isn't some wild conjecture.

Do they have a legal leg to stand on, would they actually receive any damages if MAME added them back in and they took them to court? Nobody can really say, but MAMEDEV aren't in the mood to fuck around and find out. If people are really interested in playing SDOJ, they'll find somewhere on the internet to hook them up with what they need.

Back in like 2007 Arika demanded MAME remove their driver for Tetris the Grandmaster 2 / 2 Plus, and they complied. It was added back in at the beginning of 2009. Of course, Arika were actually the developers of the game in question, so...
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

BBH wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote: Add to this that Exarcadia can't send any C&D about an IP they don't really own (it's of course Cave's) and the whole thing just looks like Mamedev being Mamedev once again.
Did you not see the link I posted above? MAMEDEV really did receive a C&D from them, and Akai Katana and DDP SDOJ drivers are still absent as of MAME 0.250. This isn't some wild conjecture.

Do they have a legal leg to stand on, would they actually receive any damages if MAME added them back in and they took them to court? Nobody can really say, but MAMEDEV aren't in the mood to fuck around and find out. If people are really interested in playing SDOJ, they'll find somewhere on the internet to hook them up with what they need.

Back in like 2007 Arika demanded MAME remove their driver for Tetris the Grandmaster 2 / 2 Plus, and they complied. It was added back in at the beginning of 2009. Of course, Arika were actually the developers of the game in question, so...
I'd argue that Exa does have a legitimate case against MAME if they refused to comply. They didn't develop the original games, but they are the publisher here and have obtained a license from the IP owner, so they have standing.

I get why they're C&Ding here and they're in the right legally, but it does seem a little antagonistic. Are emulators even used widely enough in Japan to have a material impact on demand for Exa's games? Honest question - I have no idea. Either way, though, I'm really excited for Batsugun... but I've been an Exa fan from the start, so I guess that's no surprise.
VxD

Post by VxD »

FWIW, the C&D people like to rave about only concerns the Cave games; P-47 Aces is still up in MAME, and it is likely the same will be true for Batsugun.
This may be because of the terms of the contract behind the IP licensing, who knows? The exA team is wise not to discuss this publicly...
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BBH wrote:

Sorry, I did see it, I did when it happened, even. I just phrased it quite badly. I meant that the C&D is worthless - nor does Exarcadia ultimately own the IP, nor was Mame using any "copyrighted work", much less for the arcade market. This is so elementary, specially for the company's owner and Mamedev, that it all looks like a made-up excuse just to not openly admit that they prefer to please Exarcadia's owner over Mame's userbase and contributors without even asking them.

Chacranajxy wrote:Are emulators even used widely enough in Japan to have a material impact on demand for Exa's games? Honest question - I have no idea.
Anybody into emulation, Japanese or not, will easily emulate the games in question even with them removed, and Exarcadia knows it. It all just sounds like a marketing performance.

VxD wrote:FWIW, the C&D people like to rave about only concerns the Cave games; P-47 Aces is still up in MAME,
Maybe that's just because Mame's Aces emulation sucks still in 2022?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

MAME's CV1K emulation still sucks as well. Having to manually dial-in slowdown by adjusting CPU and GPU values is an inaccurate kludge at best.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Chacranajxy wrote:Are emulators even used widely enough in Japan to have a material impact on demand for Exa's games? Honest question - I have no idea.
I don't think emulation is much of a thing there. I've heard that downloading ROMs is super-illegal there and actually enforced so that would make sense if true.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

This forum is toxic af!im out,only good things in here is historical posts like the in-depth guides by Icarus etc.sick of reading about people who think they have the right to play games for free,and I say that as a mister owner!then attack a company for trying to run a legit business.this forum sucks!Hope it dies if death along with your mame pc’s [VICTORY HAND]️
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Udderdude wrote:MAME's CV1K emulation still sucks as well. Having to manually dial-in slowdown by adjusting CPU and GPU values is an inaccurate kludge at best.
Still, you can get an apparent glitches-free emulation, unlike with Aces.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Ddshot wrote:This forum is toxic af!im out,only good things in here is historical posts like the in-depth guides by Icarus etc.sick of reading about people who think they have the right to play games for free,and I say that as a mister owner!then attack a company for trying to run a legit business.this forum sucks!Hope it dies if death along with your mame pc’s [VICTORY HAND]️
OK, I feel a little bit of the toxicity as well, but it's not everyone nor the forum as a whole.

I agree, I don't think it's a dick move to try to protect your IP, especially when you're actually putting out products onto the market.

That's just a bad take, to complain about IMO.

The reality is, these games are 25+ years old, you can play them a variety of ways to include getting the real PCB. If you're serious and are having problems getting something you're just not looking hard enough.

This a forum about fans of Shmups, not grumpy old men, or is it both?!?!.....
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ddshot wrote:sick of reading about people who think they have the right to play games for free
No one's acting like they're entitled to play anything for free.
Like cave hermit said, EXA's business is pretty much based around a stupid FOMO model designed to drive up prices for things that don't actually need to cost that much. It might be "legit", but there's nothing honorable about it. Feel about it however you want, but there's a good reason people are calling it out not just here, but everywhere else as well. I honestly don't see how anyone could possibly defend this line of business unless they actually have some sort of share in it, even if it's as simple as having shelled out for an overpriced PC game and trying to justify it to themselves.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Definitely what I've noticed as well. Those defending eXA are generally heavily invested in it. From an outsider perspective it's comes accross as FOMO and predatory tactics.
VxD

Post by VxD »

I mean, what kind of argument is that?
I wouldn’t be invested in it if I weren’t interested in the first place.

exA releases are no different from PCB releases from 10 years ago.
Cave PCBs were also in the $2,000 ballpark when sold new. And nowadays they are unaffordable on the used market due to pure greed. When paying $7,000 for a SDOJ full kit, none of that money goes to Cave or people who actively contribute to the genre.

exA is not only catering to operators (who are becoming rarer by the day), but also to arcade enthusiasts who want shiny toys and missed the bandwagon 15 years ago. There’s clearly demand so where’s the harm?

Artificially limited physical releases of console games such as Limited Run Games and the likes are way worse in my opinion, yet people seem to love these?
CoolMod

Post by CoolMod »

I don't get what the problem with Exa prices are? It's an arcade system, not a consumer product. Do I need to repeat that? IT'S NOT A CONSUMER PRODUCT. In the realm of arcade pcb prices when they were new, when did a game cost less than $1000? Not talking about doujin games, etc. The only thing that prob came close were neo geo carts, but going by their original prices the later ones were $1800ish.

There's licensing costs, new development costs, actually producing the cart, etc. It's not like they are selling a 100,000 of these like a console game that's on a cheap $0.05 dvd/bluray or even digital only.

If you are bitching them not porting them to a console, then do it your freaking self. License the IP you want, make new assets, get in contact with Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony.

Look at like 50% of Sega's arcade IPs in the 90s. They aren't ported.

If you are bitching about the price of Exa products, then go buy the original PCBS they are based off of.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

^^^ Yup.

I don't own any of there stuff, but still think it's fine. A company just released a re-run of Ice Cold Beer and Zeke's Peak. Very simple electronic games in a wood cabinet. No monitor and minimal parts (unlike a pinball machine, which is the closes comparison).

How much are they? $5500 each, shipping NOT included. Waitlisted to buy. They guys running the company say they are on slim margins for the thing after licensing, reproduction, staff, etc.

Stuff is expensive new. If the price is killer, wait 15 years and get it cheap. Don't wait 25 though, because clearly Cave stuff dips, then shoots off to the Moon... no to Mars!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

CoolMod wrote:I don't get what the problem with Exa prices are?
Game quality? Honest question, never played a single one, but you'll need a lot of effort to convince me that revised Steam games are worth $2,000, even if the additions are fairly substantial (which I'm sure they are).
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
CoolMod wrote:I don't get what the problem with Exa prices are?
Game quality? Honest question, never played a single one, but you'll need a lot of effort to convince me that revised Steam games are worth $2,000, even if the additions are fairly substantial (which I'm sure they are).
I mean are PCBs worth $$$$ when you can play them so many other ways cheaper?

Hell, people complain about $70 M2 releases...
VxD

Post by VxD »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Game quality? Honest question, never played a single one, but you'll need a lot of effort to convince me that revised Steam games are worth $2,000, even if the additions are fairly substantial (which I'm sure they are).
The cost includes the rights to profit from the game commercially, no strings attached.
Can’t do that with a Steam game without breaking a few laws.

In practice though, for me, it’s more about the “full package”: the ability to drop it plug-and-play in a cab, insert a coin in the slot, *ka-chung*, get to play a credit that matters.
The games look nice, sound nice, are well polished, responsive, and more importantly, fun!
cave hermit wrote: At least $4000 or so!
Triple that and you may be closer to the truth. ;)
Still less expensive than Cave PCBs.

Nah but what is nice with these being ports of $15 Steam games is that people who don’t care about the few exclusive features can save tons of money by getting the Steam version.
And like we saw with Akai Katana it’s not incompatible with getting ports of the original games so who cares?
CoolMod

Post by CoolMod »

Ok so lets say this. If you are talking about game quality, lets do a little investigative work here:

SDOJ, how much does it cost on original PCB? $5000?

How much does it cost on Exa w/ the motherboard? Almost the same or a little less, but you are getting the option to use other games on it and other options for SDOJ that the other one don't have.

Let's look at Gimmick, it costs how much on the original NES? $1000 now? Plus lets look at the Gimmick Special edition youtube page the day it went up. What do you think most of the questions were before they deleted it? "Oh does it include EXA edition?"
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

The toxicity is not just on this topic but runs through most topics,I see business practices of exa come up time and time again by the same old self righteous hypocrites.you wanna talk about business practices take a good look at yourself and the products you use in a daily basis like the very cloths on your back probly made in Bangladesh by children locked behind a factory door with bars on the windows,got a iPhone?fox comm is one of the biggest slave factories in China!Nestle empties water supplys leave towns and farmers with no water turning lush areas into deserts.just save the self righteous for some where else’s,i thought this forum was about shmups?