EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
StarCreator

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by StarCreator »

reckon luck wrote:Turns out there's an arcade ~10 minutes from my job that's getting in Aka to Blue Type R, and probably Gimmick. Not sure about the other two titles. When work calms down I might spend a lunchbreak or two there.
Which location is this if you don't mind me asking? Is it one of the locations I listed in the Aka & Blue thread?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I have scoured across various forums and discord channels and managed to get the following on shipping dates:

Arcade Hero - Wilcox discord server & Arcade Galatic:
Akyrios Exa - February
Infinos Exa - February

Arcade Otaku:
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 38#p525028

Akyrios Exa - Ships next week from today (Approximately February 10-14)
Psyvariar Delta AC - Ships around end of March

Also, you should check out Arcade Heroe's latest article, with the end stating that Exa Arcadia will hold their own event "shortly after" JAEPO 2020, with more titles and public demos.
https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/02/04/let ... ia-system/
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Wonder what kind of changes to expect in Akyrios Exa.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Udderdude wrote:Wonder what kind of changes to expect in Akyrios Exa.
The only changes that are to be taken for granted is that the games will be tougher than home counterparts. We do not know the extent until the games are released. At least is should be nice for Exa Arcadia to provide more details, per game page on website, on what exclusive content and balancing are changed for the arcade environment.

[Edit 1] For clarity, I have seen several posts throughout the forums, plus online interviews, and some game descriptions, that ShouTime did confirm and mentioned on some game pages, that several games will be adjusted to have different balances to suit arcade environment. Notably on shmups like Infinos EXA and Super Hydorah AC, they will be harder than the home versions. I noticed balance changes on Super Hydorah AC since I played the home version Super Hydorah first before the arcade demo from CAX 2018 with stronger enemy patterns. However, at the same time, for games that are designed around scalable difficulty for operators, they can better tune levels suited for the clientele.

News for those concerned about input lag -
Shou has confirmed through Arcade Otaku, that all Exa Arcadia games have maximum input lag limit of 4 frames, based on extensive development tools:
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 7a#p525050
Shou wrote: Cabinet monitors, JVS IO boards and each individual game play a factor in the end experience. Optimizing for each piece will give the best experience.

We benchmark on every major modern Japanese cabinet type using M2’s lag calculating setup and will not ship a game that is beyond 4 frames of lag. Our hardware is capable of 2 frames of input lag just like double buffered JAMMA PCBs of the past. Games like Strania EX and Gimmick have already proven that.
A game like Battle Garegga has 4 frames of lag on the original PCB but no Yagawa fan is going to say that is trash because the game is implemented around that so lag isn’t the be all end all in every case.
I really don't know which other game hardware company cares seriously as much about input lag as Exa Arcadia. At least they understand the hardcore arcade gamers the best.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

MrJBRPG wrote:The only changes that are to be taken for granted is that the games will be tougher than home counterparts.
I guess extra input lag does make games tougher
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I’m not sure why you would take for granted that all exa games are harder than their home versions, i’massuming you are basing that on the fact that one game (a2b) is harder than the smartphone game.

Also exa made it quite clear that their top 3 goals are operator revenue, operator revenue and operator revenue. I see nothing that indicates they understand hardcore gamers, and if casual gamers make more operator revenue they probably don’t care either.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Is EXA skipping out on JAEPO this year and holding their own event because they understand hardcore arcade gamers? :lol:
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

always remember, companies aren't your friends
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

From what some of us may know, the current spot for location testing Exa Arcadia games happen to be in Japan, including Mikado. Those have a size-able amount of hardcore gamers, which explains how operators gave feedback to make it more challenging (i.e. harder than the home version). There has not been any official location test for other countries than Japan, which would give a different picture otherwise.

I spoke with Arcade Hero through discord, who operates their own arcade called Arcade Galactic, has both Aka & Blue Type R and Kung Fu vs Karate Champs. When people played those games, they found the games to be WAY TOO HARD, especially on the casual crowd. Rarely anybody could get past the first round in Kung-Fu vs Karate Champs as if that round is like the final stage of various fighting games. Arcade Hero even gave suggestions to Exa Arcadia and the developers to consider adding updates for difficulty scaling, even code-naming them "Japanese"(hardcore) and "American"(casual) difficulty.

Hopefully, that should encourage developers to think more about adding difficulty scaling to suit any arcade environment.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Akyrios EXA, the updated and arcade exclusive version of Danmaku Unlimited 3, is now shipping to those who preordered earlier.

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 84032?s=21

I wonder what new content and changes are made to make this stand out? Did not notice any trailers about this game recently.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

I see, however, I'm gonna wait whenever Strania EX is out on this to the public eventually and to get first impressions on the differences for that version from other players.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Looks like AKA is back in stock.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Well, I don't know how often you guys care about other games, but I have scouted for the latest updates on game releases:

Released (Games begin shipping) (primarily confirmed through tweets)

Aka & Blue Type R (EXA#001) - 11/27/2019 (Japan) / 1/6/2020 (Worldwide) - EXA ARCADIA motherboard shipped on same day
Kung Fu vs Karate Champs (EXA#004) - 1/13/2020 (Worldwide)
Akyrios Exa (EXA#009) - 2/11/2020 (Worldwide)
Infinos Exa (EXA#003) - 2/20/2020 (Worldwide)

Coming Soon (Games are nearly finished with launch date / time frame and pre-orders confirmed)
Lightning Knights - March 2020
Super Hydorah AC - 2020
Strania EX - 2020 (preorders was there, but no longer in pre-order status)

As always, there are more games coming out soon enough. We will have to keep ourselves alert.

Edit 1 - Name, balance, and content changes are required, but some took more drastic measures to be different than home or mobile counterpart. Also, those arcade-tailored titles are aimed for operators, not us home consumers unless we want to collect them. We should already know that fact by now.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Just a reminder that all of these games are available on steam for peanuts. I wish exa all the luck in the world, but the drastic name changes of some of the games does make you wonder if they're trying to hoodwink a few home buyers.

Kung Fu vs Karate Champs aka Shaoling Vs Wutang
Akyrios Exa aka Danmaku Unlimited 3
Infinos Gaiden
Lightning Knights aka Iron Crypticle
Super Hydorah
Strania
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I think it makes sense for the first titles to be of that variety. High efficiency.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I purchased both Akyrios and Infinos. So if you're in the midwest, they'll be at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade in St. Charles, MO. Hoping they arrive this week. Probably will lay off the shooters for a bit, but looking forward to Gimmick.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

caldwert wrote:I purchased both Akyrios and Infinos. So if you're in the midwest, they'll be at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade in St. Charles, MO. Hoping they arrive this week. Probably will lay off the shooters for a bit, but looking forward to Gimmick.
It’s honestly ridiculous that you haven’t set up a second EXA cab so you don’t have to rotate games so much!
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Given the exA supports four games in a single unit simultaneously, multiple units shouldn't be needed unless you want dedicated horizontal and vertical setups or have one game absolutely dominating in popularity.

I sort of wish I had the disposable income to afford more games; I took a chance with Aka and am currently losing big because absolutely no one seems interested at all in it, and I don't see any of the remainder of exA's launch library being any different. I'm seriously at the point where I might have to permanently pull it because the Pandora's Box 6 it replaced made more money, and I can't ignore the will of the other stakeholders at the arcade.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

brentsg wrote:
caldwert wrote:I purchased both Akyrios and Infinos. So if you're in the midwest, they'll be at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade in St. Charles, MO. Hoping they arrive this week. Probably will lay off the shooters for a bit, but looking forward to Gimmick.
It’s honestly ridiculous that you haven’t set up a second EXA cab so you don’t have to rotate games so much!
I bought 2 Vewlix Diamond Blacks, and I got another motherboard coming with Infinos. So there'll be dedicated hori and vert setups. Only thing I'm missing is two player control panels which will be here this week or next.

Sucks to hear that it isn't earning for you StarCreator. Don't want to say my exact numbers, but it's doing pretty well actually. Unsure who the hell plays it, but am not complaining.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

clippa wrote: Akyrios Exa aka Danmaku Unlimited 3
I believe that was a required legal change - doesn't Cave actually own the term "Danmaku"?
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

caldwert wrote:
brentsg wrote:
I bought 2 Vewlix Diamond Blacks, and I got another motherboard coming with Infinos. So there'll be dedicated hori and vert setups. Only thing I'm missing is two player control panels which will be here this week or next.

Sucks to hear that it isn't earning for you StarCreator. Don't want to say my exact numbers, but it's doing pretty well actually. Unsure who the hell plays it, but am not complaining.
It was just a joke anyways but feel free to wind up with a spare Vewlix and EXA that you can't unload later. :mrgreen:
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Anyone know if any of these have come to Chicago? Would like to check one out at some point if I can
zak

Post by zak »

What was the game? Devil Engine? Seems a real shame not to release a finished product. I hope that things can be patched up between all involved.
zak

Post by zak »

Was your initial feedback really "it's shit"?
donluca

Post by donluca »

It looks like Shou knows exactly what the japanese market wants and what needs to be done for the games on his platform to be successful.

And he's going as far as doing all those things silently just to reach that success.

That's... ruthless, to say the least. And I have a feeling that an agreement could be achieved if there was better communication.

EXA, to my ears, right now sounds like a project which "I know exactly what needs to be done to have a new successful product in the arcade market (at least the japanese one) so just lend me your games, let me do what needs to be done and don't get in the way".

As much as I want to see people saying "arcades are dead" eating their words, this whole situation leaves me really baffled.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I did speak with one of the developers behind Devil Engine (Sinnoc) through a private message, and those are confirmed by the same writer. However, I take all of those perspectives with grains of salt because there can be no complete story without getting all voices revealed, which is sometimes impossible.

Based on that sort of action, it seems that Exa Arcadia should not afford any more slip-ups like this or else negative reactions could spell doom. Exa Arcadia is a young company with big plans, and they got a lot to learn and improve from mistakes like this. One way for Exa Arcadia to really better handle arcade releases would be the following steps:
  • * Inform all involved parties, including the developer and publishers, especially the latter for different platforms
    * Be open to proposed changes by the developers and understand the games at the current form more thoroughly
    * Find a balance between intervening for suggestions and allowing developers freedom to change to their likings
    * All parties communicate regularly and professionally so that escalating conflict spirals can be avoided and minimized, that means no undercutting or exploitation
    * Developer and publishers involved should be very passionate for the arcade release and willing to revise any game to fit the arcade market
In spite of that one highlighted negative moment, there are a lot more positive reception for Exa Arcadia, through several examples besides a good number of games now available / preorders.

First, there is an interview conducted by Wilcox Arcade with Onion Soup Interactive, which delves deep about changes made for Nippon Marathon Hyper Turbo Running:
https://www.wilcoxarcade.com/single-pos ... ia-Updates

Another is Trap15, a user on this forum, has confirmed to work on Infinos Exa, and we will find out more by beating the game:
https://twitter.com/trap0xf/status/1232936422098661376

Also, people have been reporting glitches, problems, and bugs on the Exa Arcadia hardware and some games, such as accidental score reset, and Exa Arcadia are taking feedback seriously. Most notable on Arcade Otaku and speaking with ArcadeHero on some discord servers.

As a game developer who wants to develop on the platform, but have not yet made enough games, I would rather play safe with building a few games for mobile and PC / Console before having the confidence to develop for the Exa Arcadia platform.

Besides, Exa Arcadia has more stringent requirements than modern consoles, such as the following and confirmed publicly across forums and websites, but not limited to:
  • * Exclusive content is mandatory to stand out from other versions
    * Adjust the game balance to fit the arcade market, satisfying both operators and players
    * Games must support horizontal orientation as default, vertical games can be optimized by developer
    * Aspect ratio of 16:9 and 4:3 are implemented, with horizontal being default
    * Attract Mode and Tutorials are mandatory
    * Configuration set-up is implemented
    * The maximum input lag from game logic cannot exceed 4 frames (60 Htz with 1 frame per 16.67ms, totaling ~66.68 ms), despite that hardware can do 2 frames of input lag
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Sinoc wrote:Now that this is out there, Just want to confirm I wrote it. I saved every communication between Shou and I (bar a voice call) so I can verify anything. Here's the "laughed out of Japan" bit.
Obviously I don't have both sides or even all of one side here but the exchange doesn't say "laughed out of Japan". That's a more dramatic paraphrase on what was actually written.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

seems like an internet slap fight over exa is more exciting than the ddp glitch after 15+ years...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Exa costs more than the glitch. The stakes are higher.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS