EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MrJBRPG

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by MrJBRPG »

I know that you have only begun his adventure into the arcade business with Exa Arcadia, and I wonder how you might get more developers to hop on board to the machine.

I don't know if you are going to make to the GDC 2018 or not, but I wish you a great time showing off Exa Arcadia around the world, especially the California Extreme that is happening from July 28 to 29th 2018.
http://www.caextreme.org/
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

It's official - Aka & Blue Type R and Super Hydorah AC will be at Fightcade. There's only 1 dev kit going so the games will be rotated.
become history
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shou wrote:It's official - Aka & Blue Type R and Super Hydorah AC will be at Fightcade. There's only 1 dev kit going so the games will be rotated.
I was almost confused for the online platform fight cade, which hosts arcade games online.

However, I believe you are actually referring to an event in Spain on May 26, 2018:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2250316791859996/

Anyways, that is very good news indeed.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Shou wrote:It's official - Aka & Blue Type R and Super Hydorah AC will be at Fightcade. There's only 1 dev kit going so the games will be rotated.
Will there be a Stream?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
waiwainl

EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by waiwainl »

Perhaps silly question, but what is Fightcade?
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
KAI

Post by KAI »

spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Your answer makes 0 sense; it's like saying "exa will be at MAME". They probably mean this:
https://smash.gg/tournament/fightcade-o ... tival-2018
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

waiwainl wrote:Perhaps silly question, but what is Fightcade?
That was answered a few posts ago.
MrJBRPG wrote:
I was almost confused for the online platform fight cade, which hosts arcade games online.

However, I believe you are actually referring to an event in Spain on May 26, 2018:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2250316791859996/

Anyways, that is very good news indeed.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I wonder if you have any future plans to go along with the Exa Arcade, besides location tests, because it could prove to be a great seller for a specific niche.

Thought of any form of crowd funding or anything to spread awareness beside showing up to various popular arcade and video game forums to make Exa Arcadia more noticed?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

The problem with crowd funding is that it attracts precisely the wrong crowd. And then you got to deal with them.
It also immediately categorizes you as a backwater hack in the eyes of the press. The "strictly pro only" approach they are doing now might fit the product a lot better.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

If you're in the arcade business and haven't heard about it by the time it comes for sale then you're terrible at your job. If you're not in the arcade business haven't heard of it and you have this level of disposable income and this much interest in games like this to pay arcade prices for them then you're terrible at your hobby.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

schleichfahrt wrote:The problem with crowd funding is that it attracts precisely the wrong crowd. And then you got to deal with them.
It also immediately categorizes you as a backwater hack in the eyes of the press. The "strictly pro only" approach they are doing now might fit the product a lot better.
Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:If you're in the arcade business and haven't heard about it by the time it comes for sale then you're terrible at your job. If you're not in the arcade business haven't heard of it and you have this level of disposable income and this much interest in games like this to pay arcade prices for them then you're terrible at your hobby.
Well.. Thanks for informing because it seems that Shou and the guys behind the Exa Arcadia are going after a very specific niche audience that crowdfunding for a bigger market seems unviable. At least it is good I asked if that has not been addressed already....

Anyways, I bid Shou and the crew good luck and hope for success with a precisely targeted crowd.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

MrJBRPG wrote:I wonder if you have any future plans to go along with the Exa Arcade, besides location tests, because it could prove to be a great seller for a specific niche.

Thought of any form of crowd funding or anything to spread awareness beside showing up to various popular arcade and video game forums to make Exa Arcadia more noticed?

Crowdfunding is not required for the platform itself.

Certain titles will be left to crowdfunding to prove the audience and general demand.

Once, we are actually closer to release, there will be plenty of press.
become history
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Shou wrote:Certain titles will be left to crowdfunding to prove the audience and general demand.
Really hoping this is one of them:

Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

It looks like the next showcase game is not a shmup, but a fighting game kung-fu vs karate championships!

twitter link:
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/9 ... 9325500416

The roster looks very promising and Exa Arcadia is confirmed for demonstration at California Extreme. Thankfully, I live close enough that I can reach there near the end of July.
KAI

Post by KAI »

it's a port of Shaolin vs Wutang Image

where's my new milestone games?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

MrJBRPG wrote:It looks like the next showcase game is not a shmup, but a fighting game kung-fu vs karate championships!

twitter link:
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/9 ... 9325500416

The roster looks very promising and Exa Arcadia is confirmed for demonstration at California Extreme. Thankfully, I live close enough that I can reach there near the end of July.
Exa's selection of games is indeed pretty interesting - there's a decidedly old school vibe here even though the presentation is modern. I like that.
Though I will probably never have the chance to play one of these I'm really curious what kind of puzzle or sports game they choose :wink:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

the real question is how this will not be a gigantic flop
who is going to play this over guilty gear, blazblue, usf4 or tekken 7?
is this entire project backed by some oil sheikh with too much money?
GSK

Post by GSK »

For all the talk about the needs of arcade operators, they're hardly the only market for this thing--they're going to aggressively court private buyers/collectors (many of whom aren't going to be picky about the lineup), they'll piggyback off other titles/developers to ensure further ports via crowdfunding, etc so in that respect I think there's a potential for sustainability, if not genuine success.

That being said, if they're serious about trying to court the likes of Dave & Busters with the caliber of titles they've announced so far they better have a backup plan.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Bananamatic wrote:the real question is how this will not be a gigantic flop
who is going to play this over guilty gear, blazblue, usf4 or tekken 7?
is this entire project backed by some oil sheikh with too much money?
Beats me. I was hoping for a Fighting Ex Layer arcade release.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
zak

Post by zak »

I think Aka & Blue Type R will be the best selling title for them at the start.

If CAVE release a shooter (or 10) for the platform, then it's going to be HUGE (both privately and commercially).
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

There is always some start-up time for software in the beginning of new hardware.
First Shou and the others thats responsible for the Exa hardware have to reach out and talk to developers, then the developers have to start to develop the software.
And developing games is no quick task.
zak

Post by zak »

Agreed.
SuperPang wrote:Year one MVS releases:

Baseball Stars Professional
Magician Lord
Mahjong Kyōretsuden: Nishi Nihon Hen
NAM-1975
Top Player's Golf
Ninja Combat
Riding Hero
Minna-san no Okage-sama Desu! Dai Sugoroku Taikai
The Super Spy
Cyber-Lip
Puzzled (Joy Joy Kid)
League Bowling
Ghost Pilots

#justsaying
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

remember that it's a new platform and all the hypothetical cave games would be ports with all the inaccuracies the current ports have, so the leaderboards would probably be split from the current ones and god knows how many people could be arsed to switch to the exa version

so the only way they could be worth it is if m2 ports them near 100% to both ps4 and exa, at which point the exa version is basically identical to the ps4 one in terms of accuracy
"personal use" would be just buying a ps4 port with no practice modes or replays at insane markup

was honestly expecting the fighter to be the "killer app" (dbzf or sf5 arcade edition or something) and it turns out to be a port of a steam kusoge

this platform either
1) gets some actually popular game (not "popular" like cave)
2) milks the fuck out of retro fanboys and arcade collectors
3) dies

expecting 2)
BAD

Post by BAD »

Is this in any way connected to THE Arcadia? As in the Japanese magazine?!
badcp.info
GSK

Post by GSK »

Bananamatic wrote:was honestly expecting the fighter to be the "killer app" (dbzf or sf5 arcade edition or something)
Seriously?

I'm not going to bother rationalising why they're fucking with Shaolin vs. Wutang but those games were never going to show up here.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Bananamatic wrote:was honestly expecting the fighter to be the "killer app" (dbzf or sf5 arcade edition or something)
lol no way. dbzf has no chance of appearing anywhere except on namco hw, and capcom is too fucked to actually handle sfv properly.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

trap15 wrote:
lol no way. dbzf has no chance of appearing anywhere except on namco hw, and capcom is too fucked to actually handle sfv properly.
Capcom did release Ultra Street Fighter 4 for Arcades 2 years after home release. With KOF XIV coming out much later as well. SFV still could see an Arcade release.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
trap15

Post by trap15 »

2 years late means it might as well have not happened tbh. KOF14 is doing shitty numbers iirc, and I can't imagine SF4 AC did great either.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

...uh, no. EXA is way too small and unknown to court Namdai and Capcom. Taito also already has a business relationship with Capcom and ASW for putting arcade games on their hardware, and it's unlikely they'd switch. Most of the other big arcade devs tend to use their own hardware or port to Taito's stuff, too. Until the EXA guys can get their feet under them, it's going to be indies, doujins, or nothing at all.
GSK wrote:That being said, if they're serious about trying to court the likes of Dave & Busters with the caliber of titles they've announced so far they better have a backup plan.
...Dave & Busters? Really? I don't think they'd be interested in anything but redemption games, or at least stuff that looks fun to the general public. If anything, I'd expect Round1 to try and get some EXAs into their game centers, as bringing previously Japan-only games over to the States is kinda their thing.