EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mantrox

EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by Mantrox »

2018 is looking like a promising year for the simmering arcade scene, EXAーARCADIA is a brand new hardware platform for arcade games that will be available worldwide, sometime this year.
The brand is not only defined by the hardware itself but it intends to build a strong publishing arm that will help bring games of all genres to the platform, while keeping a laser focus on their quality and content.

What we know about the hardware so far:
- An arcade motherboard with a PC architecture.
- Its processing power is similar/slightly above current gen consoles.
- It can have 4 games plugged in at once, which you can chose at startup.
- The games will be supplied in a media similar to a catridge.
- It will be compatible with all major JVS I/O implementations.
- The I/O interface was developed to minimize input lag.
- It will support HD resolutions and 480P (for compatibility with 31Khz CRT cabs).

Games under development for the Exa system:
- Aka & Blue Type-R (Thread)
- Infinos Exa (Thread)
- Super Hydorah AC (Thread)
- Strania: The Stella Machina (Exa Ver.) (Thread)
- Heian-Kyo Alien 3671 (Exa Ver.) (thread)
Many more titles under development are currently top secret!
Stolen from Spork's thread. Thanks

The shmup genre is already dominating the library but we expect some diversification as time goes on.

The launch date is still not known but it will probably land around late summer, this year.
The cost for a kit (motherboard + 1 game) will be somewhere bellow 2000$.

EXAーARCADIA Interview, on arcadebelgium.

The final pricing, availability and selling channels weren't disclosed yet.
Feel free to discuss and point out any errors in the OP.
Last edited by Mantrox on Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
qmish

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by qmish »

Don't forget, interview
http://www.arcadebelgium.be/ab.php?r=art&p=int001

Maybe need to also compile links to other articles
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Yes, the OP is quite barebones, there is a lot of info to be added.
I just wanted to get it out of the way.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I have a question for Shou if he's around.
Is the 4:3 implementation going to take advantage of the whole screen or might there be some type of limitations depending on how the game was developed? Is it taken into account right from the beggining of development as a required feature?

This one looks pretty cool.
Spoiler
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Generic cabinet kits business could purchase, assemble and complete themselves shoving an EXA inside aren't so common, often heavy for shipping cost, and even the remaining assembly steps aren't so easy for someone who has no idea what he's purchased.

There's lighter bartop kits but I don't know if those can actually accomodate coin mech, and the frame's built for shitty 19" 5:4 or 18"5 16:9 monitors that are awful categories of panels with only few exceptions (decent ones only start at 21.5" 16:9 VA or IPS)

I was wondering if there are plans to help more business acquire a simple affordable cabinet and actually exploit an EXA ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Mantrox wrote: - It can have 4 games plugged in at once, which you can chose at startup.
Wonder if this will ever change to allow on-the-fly game switching like Neo-Geo.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Mantrox wrote:I have a question for Shou if he's around.
Is the 4:3 implementation going to take advantage of the whole screen or might there be some type of limitations depending on how the game was developed? Is it taken into account right from the beggining of development as a required feature?

This one looks pretty cool.
Spoiler
Screen ratio implementation is up to developers. As you can imagine, a game originally designed in one ratio and then making it compatible with another will often break design.
become history
Shou

Post by Shou »

Xyga wrote:Generic cabinet kits business could purchase, assemble and complete themselves shoving an EXA inside aren't so common, often heavy for shipping cost, and even the remaining assembly steps aren't so easy for someone who has no idea what he's purchased.

There's lighter bartop kits but I don't know if those can actually accomodate coin mech, and the frame's built for shitty 19" 5:4 or 18"5 16:9 monitors that are awful categories of panels with only few exceptions (decent ones only start at 21.5" 16:9 VA or IPS)

I was wondering if there are plans to help more business acquire a simple affordable cabinet and actually exploit an EXA ?
We are looking into producing cabinets for the US market only at the moment.
become history
Shou

Post by Shou »

Udderdude wrote:
Mantrox wrote: - It can have 4 games plugged in at once, which you can chose at startup.
Wonder if this will ever change to allow on-the-fly game switching like Neo-Geo.
It's very similar to the Neo Geo MVS.
become history
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Shou wrote:Screen ratio implementation is up to developers. As you can imagine, a game originally designed in one ratio and then making it compatible with another will often break design.
That's what i thought. Maybe i misremembered you saying it would be obligatory for every game to have a 4:3 mode.
MrFugu

Post by MrFugu »

Shou wrote: Screen ratio implementation is up to developers. As you can imagine, a game originally designed in one ratio and then making it compatible with another will often break design.
Will you accept tricks like wallpapers? (For padding 16:9 games to 4:3 without changing content)
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Any Japanese speakers care to give us some insight into this interview?
It's almost 2 hours long so there could be some new information.
Cata

Post by Cata »

Shou wrote:
Xyga wrote:Generic cabinet kits business could purchase, assemble and complete themselves shoving an EXA inside aren't so common, often heavy for shipping cost, and even the remaining assembly steps aren't so easy for someone who has no idea what he's purchased.

Any estimated price range on what these will run? I'm thinking about snagging a candy cab so I can jump in on exA hardware but if you guys are making your own cabinets I might just hold off and wait to see what they will be like
Shou

Post by Shou »

Cata wrote:
Shou wrote:

Any estimated price range on what these will run? I'm thinking about snagging a candy cab so I can jump in on exA hardware but if you guys are making your own cabinets I might just hold off and wait to see what they will be like
These deluxe cabs are for FECs and are not going to be in the price range for regular arcades or individuals.
become history
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I do hope there are more upcoming conventions for the Exa Arcadia because there is big potential for the arcade market as many other said. I also wish there would be a chance to try it out the games for Exa Arcadia like California Extreme.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Quote from this article:

"The board will then be shown at both California Extreme (CAX) 2018 and ReplayFX this Summer for the United States; it will appear at Stunfest in Paris, France and perhaps a special announcement at EVO 2018 in Las Vegas."

In other news, is that the EXA on the left?
Shou

Post by Shou »

MrJBRPG wrote:I do hope there are more upcoming conventions for the Exa Arcadia because there is big potential for the arcade market as many other said. I also wish there would be a chance to try it out the games for Exa Arcadia like California Extreme.
We might be in Spain later this month...
become history
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Shou wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote:I do hope there are more upcoming conventions for the Exa Arcadia because there is big potential for the arcade market as many other said. I also wish there would be a chance to try it out the games for Exa Arcadia like California Extreme.
Oh, what? Where?
I'm gonna be on vacation by then and i'm in Portugal.
ArcadePT

Post by ArcadePT »

Shou wrote:
I'm professional on the Arcade market in Portugal and very interested on acquire this system in first hand as long it will be exclusive only in Arcade games.
Last edited by ArcadePT on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shou

Post by Shou »

ArcadePT wrote:
Shou wrote:
I'm professional on the Arcade market in Portugal and very interested on acquire this system in first hand as long it will be exclusive only in Arcade games.
All games will have exclusive arcade only content.

Please be patient as we complete the hardware development and also announce more details including games!
become history
ArcadePT

Post by ArcadePT »

Shou wrote:
All games will have exclusive arcade only content.

Please be patient as we complete the hardware development and also announce more details including games!
Shou, any twitter account or something else to follow development?
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Mantrox wrote: - Heian-Kyo Alien 3671 (Exa Ver.) (No thread yet)
It's not a STG so it's in off topic.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I missed that. thanks.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Shou wrote:We might be in Spain later this month...
Shou, as soon as you have confirmation, could you tell which event and when? I am from Spain and I would be very interested in seeing EXA platform in action
Working in the japanese language achievement
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Mantrox wrote:
Shou wrote:
Oh, what? Where?
I'm gonna be on vacation by then and i'm in Portugal.

I guess he's talking about this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61469

Please let me know if we're going on a roadtrip and i need to speak with HR to change my vacation dates :mrgreen:

EDIT - I will be in Amsterdam for work MArch 20-22 :x i guess it won't work for me...
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

It is indeed that event, although Exa's presence is still not 100% set in stone, apparently.
Too bad you are going to be away.

I'm gonna try to find the best means of transport to get there, since even if the Exa doesn't show up, it seems Kamui is gonna be there playing Garegga.
Shou

Post by Shou »

jandrogo wrote:
Shou wrote:We might be in Spain later this month...
Shou, as soon as you have confirmation, could you tell which event and when? I am from Spain and I would be very interested in seeing EXA platform in action
Fightcade Offline - we will try our best to make it happen
become history
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Shou wrote:Fightcade Offline - we will try our best to make it happen
Ouch! Impossible for me that weekend..
Good luck if you are able to assist to the event.. sure you’ll find enthusiasts and people interested to make business with Exa platform
Working in the japanese language achievement
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I see this as a positive development. There are those of us still around who enjoy gaming in Arcades and are not afraid to put the cash down. However, there are challenges. Essentially, if they can get the titles the hardware will sell itself and they need suppor right now to accomplish this.
More Bromances = safer people
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

MintyTheCat wrote:There are those of us still around who enjoy gaming in Arcades and are not afraid to put the cash down..
but if you buy a cab then you're not playing in arcade, you're playing at home