EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by trap15 »

Everything released so far can be purchased anywhere in the world.
Special exceptions exist for purchasing in Japan due to licensing restrictions. Outside of Japan, everything is fair game.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

There should be a map locator for where all the sold units are being used, otherwise this is too much of a guessing game trying to find one.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You just gotta go to Japan, easy
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

There's also that one place in Utah but uh, good luck going there right now
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Zeether wrote:There's also that one place in Utah but uh, good luck going there right now
Hey man, you can go to any arcade right now if you bring a crowbar with you and are dedicated enough. A small price to pay for shmup goodness.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I've got 2 on location in St. Charles, MO at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade. Aka to Blue, Akyrios, SDOJ in one cabinet. Infinos, Vritra, Super Battle Princess Madelyn in another. Priced at 50 cents. There's also probably like 5 people max from the area on this forum though :lol:
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

You rock dude!
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

caldwert wrote:I've got 2 on location in St. Charles, MO at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade. Aka to Blue, Akyrios, SDOJ in one cabinet. Infinos, Vritra, Super Battle Princess Madelyn in another. Priced at 50 cents. There's also probably like 5 people max from the area on this forum though :lol:
Wow, I’d be playing SDOJ there often if I lived in the area.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

They don't get played a ton really, but also I put Aka to Blue in last January, Akyrios on Leap Day, then Infinos and the other cabinet the next week. Then Covid hit haha. Aka to Blue and Infinos were doing really well up until that point. The bar is pretty slow now understandably, but I'm also not attempting to live off of this. Definitely more a labor of love thing at the moment. I will say this though, people in the US like horizontal shooters much more than vertical.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

A while back I made an attempt at adding entries for all known locations in the US that had Aka & Blue in public in the Zenius -I- vanisher arcade database, which doesn't really have much of a viewership but it's the only serious attempt at a comprehensive database I've found in years. It's entirely community-driven so anyone can add information.

I've posted about having Aka & Blue out in a mall arcade before, but the Pandora's Box it replaced proved to be more popular, so I had to take the exA back home for now. I'm still not sure if it'll ever go back out because sales were just that abysmal.

Barcades are probably a much better environment where people are willing to try new things, vs a mall arcade where if something doesn't immediately grab they can just walk out the door and keep shopping.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

StarCreator wrote:A while back I made an attempt at adding entries for all known locations in the US that had Aka & Blue in public in the Zenius -I- vanisher arcade database, which doesn't really have much of a viewership but it's the only serious attempt at a comprehensive database I've found in years. It's entirely community-driven so anyone can add information.
Aurcade still exists. I used it about 10 years ago to find a neat little arcade within driving distance to me.
caldwert wrote:I will say this though, people in the US like horizontal shooters much more than vertical.
Any ideas as to why? I don't share that sentiment, verts are much more fun to play.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Casual players seem to like them much more for some reason. Not sure exactly why, but the numbers show it. Also, when I talk to the regulars I know from there, they only talk about the horizontal stuff. Vritra or Infinos are much friendlier than getting punched in the mouth by Aka to Blue. I prefer vertical myself and have resisted the urge to rotate my vertical Vewlix back to horizontal so far.
qmish

Post by qmish »

caldwert wrote:Casual players seem to like them much more for some reason. Not sure exactly why, but the numbers show it. Also, when I talk to the regulars I know from there, they only talk about the horizontal stuff. Vritra or Infinos are much friendlier than getting punched in the mouth by Aka to Blue. I prefer vertical myself and have resisted the urge to rotate my vertical Vewlix back to horizontal so far.
Though... Ain't Infinos and Vritra "classic", while Aka to Blue is bullethell?

And i'd say vertical is more easy to "read" patterns...
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Yes, they're classic styled vs. bullet hell. Basically all I heard when I put Aka to Blue in was it looks great, but too bad its not the same graphics and plays like R-Type.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I like horizontals but they have to be designed like a horizontal. Neither bullet hell nor lighting fast dodges really work for me in a horizontal format. Its definitely easier to read and react on a vert. But the R-Type style horizontal puzzle shooter is my jam.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Cool, a 4 player test cabinet is spotted in the wild.
https://arcadeheroes.com/2021/05/04/spo ... et-design/

I am not too keen on giant cabinets since they take too much space, but works for big spaces arcades and FECs.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Exa in an arcade2tv seems somehow wrong, but interesting to say the least.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Amusement Expo is happening, and their new cabinets from Fun Company (FunGlow) are definitely catering more towards western FECs, which appear really big.

https://exa.ac/en/exa-arcadia-amusement ... 177369a3b7

Good for businesses, but does not feel complete without a smaller size one, like those 2-4 player ones that fit in for Konami and other 4p cabinets in the 90's, or realistically a 2 player variant as small as Viewlix. Yes, there is a kit to buy if planning to fit in one's own small cabinet.

Also, I am glad they stuck with ball top joysticks.

And still plenty of shmups galore.

---------
Edit 1:

Apparently, there is also the Exa Arcadia-derived clone called Hawt Pink, which is mostly Exa compatible. Hawt Pink has their own game brand, with obviously everything in pink including motherboard case and game cartridges. The games emphasize more of the lewd stuff, with some having "clean mode". Found that out from a discord server from someone attending the Amusement Expo. Exa Arcadia and Hawt Pink are both there, with the latter barely off site.

One shmup, called Rumble storm, plays more like Toaplan games with lewd cutscenes. There will be "clean" version as an option.
pwningnewbs

Post by pwningnewbs »

Ugh I tried streaming Rumble Storm which is available on pc that was a mistake. It's art style is fully committed to a female attached to a milking machine. The game is a blast though.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Exa Arcadia don't have anything to do with Hawt Pink do they?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

SuperPang wrote:Exa Arcadia don't have anything to do with Hawt Pink do they?
Not really. The best comparison is being like an "official clone". The company behind HAWT PINK CLUB operates independently. They have official access to the EXA Arcadia SDK most likely by requesting permission, and modified the front end to make it their own EXA game box, with their own game library. Therefore, the games are 100% compatible with EXA Arcadia, but without license or quality seal from Exa.

Found that out first from a discord server.

And now pictures and posts of the EXA Clone:
https://twitter.com/arcadeheroes/status ... 39041?s=21
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

lol. Funny old industry.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

More footage is out of P-47 Aces mkII, taken at the Amusement Expo International in Vegas: https://youtu.be/TzW_sQGZcqY

Looking really good, as expected, and has a brief glimpse of the 4-player mode. Is that coop powerup stuff new compared to the original? Really nice thing to have in a coop-focused game.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Regarding dedicated cabinets, I saw this:

"It can also be noted that this is not the only cabinet design on the docket. There are two other 2p cabinet designs, one with the ability to change the monitor orientation with little difficulty, that will also be available."

Anyone know anything about the other Exa cabinet designs coming out?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Ms. Tea wrote:More footage is out of P-47 Aces mkII, taken at the Amusement Expo International in Vegas: https://youtu.be/TzW_sQGZcqY
Anyone know what the shmup is in the bottom-right corner in the intro in that video?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

bcass wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:More footage is out of P-47 Aces mkII, taken at the Amusement Expo International in Vegas: https://youtu.be/TzW_sQGZcqY
Anyone know what the shmup is in the bottom-right corner in the intro in that video?
That’s Vritra Hexa, which I hear is really good. There’s also an older one on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/8928 ... E_EDITION/
bcass

Post by bcass »

Thanks for the info. Seems it's on sale at the moment so might check it out.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Round 1 USA may be stocking Exa cabs, and I may have to eat my hat.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

cave hermit wrote:Round 1 USA may be stocking Exa cabs, and I may have to eat my hat.
I'm hoping they do, cause I'd would really like to check out Strania EX (and maybe Aka to Blue), if they have it. (And even despite the N-X-L cabinets being there and its not even the entire library and only just the fighting games there, because, reasons.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I predict that even if they start putting out Exa cabs, and even have ATB in a small handful of locations, there's no way they will ever have a properly-oriented monitor for it. They will all be horizontal.

Does Exa have any other proper verts like ATB or is that the only one? I know Strania is a vertizontal.