EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
spmbx

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by spmbx »

Have you tried playing it on bluestacks? I’m guessing it will work just fine. Gameplaywise it looks ok, but it basically looks like cave bulletpatterns on top of pretty average vector graphics.
GSK

Post by GSK »

They did rework a lot of the assets for EXA, it's not as Malibu Stacy With NEW Hat! as a lot of the other games they've announced.

Sort of unrelated, but there was a point where the A2B dev planned to pull the mobile version when the EXA version launched--it's still up, last I checked, but anyone who wanted to try it but didn't might not want to wait too much longer.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

​I got small news when talking to Arcade Heroes from a discord server in regards to official Western release:

Exa Arcadia are polishing up the launch lineup, such as last minute bugs to fix on Kung Fu vs Karate and Aka & Blue Type R, with the latter having more discovered during Japan's launch.
Because the first batch of Exa Arcadia carts for Japan do not have online features, they must be sent to manufacturer for replacement / manual patching.
Hopefully, Exa Arcadia wants to avoid the problems for Western launch, meaning that online features are integrated from the start.
Therefore with online features included, it makes updates more convenient.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

GSK wrote:there was a point where the A2B dev planned to pull the mobile version when the EXA version launched--it's still up, last I checked, but anyone who wanted to try it but didn't might not want to wait too much longer.
Note also that the app relies on server verification (EDIT: apparently on the Android version only) to start - if they do pull it, it is pretty much gone for good.
Last edited by mojilove on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Zeether wrote:The fact that there's no chance of a port happening throws salt in the wound. Thanks a lot EXA.
Would rather have a port than a overpriced arcade version. Way to screw most of the customer base. :twisted:
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

MrJBRPG wrote:​I got small news when talking to Arcade Heroes from a discord server in regards to official Western release:

Exa Arcadia are polishing up the launch lineup, such as last minute bugs to fix on Kung Fu vs Karate and Aka & Blue Type R, with the latter having more discovered during Japan's launch.
Because the first batch of Exa Arcadia carts for Japan do not have online features, they must be sent to manufacturer for replacement / manual patching.
Hopefully, Exa Arcadia wants to avoid the problems for Western launch, meaning that online features are integrated from the start.
Therefore with online features included, it makes updates more convenient.
You don’t need online features to be able to update at home. EXA has a bunch of USB ports right? So they host the new game update on their site and you download it, put it on a usb stick and plug in and update. I really want Exa to succeed but they seem to be backwards about a lot of stuff.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

mojilove wrote:
GSK wrote:there was a point where the A2B dev planned to pull the mobile version when the EXA version launched--it's still up, last I checked, but anyone who wanted to try it but didn't might not want to wait too much longer.
Note also that the app relies on server verification to start - if they do pull it, it is pretty much gone for good.
You can just get the APK whether they pull it or not. If anyone actually cared there would have been a public patch for it, but there isnt so..
yosai

Post by yosai »

mojilove wrote:Note also that the app relies on server verification to start - if they do pull it, it is pretty much gone for good.
Worked fine here offline before I uninstalled it. (Android ver.1.1.1)
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

yosai wrote:Worked fine here offline before I uninstalled it. (Android ver.1.1.1)
The current version complains with "cannot connect to server" if you completely take it offline.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

If they're gonna pull it and kill the servers that sounds awfully selfish. "Sorry, we're pulling the only widely accessible version of our game so people can play this arcade exclusive version that won't receive a port and can't be streamed either, have a nice day"

At least put out a patch for offline mode. I don't know if I want to drop the $9 on it now.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
kuze

Post by kuze »

yosai wrote:
mojilove wrote:Note also that the app relies on server verification to start - if they do pull it, it is pretty much gone for good.
Worked fine here offline before I uninstalled it. (Android ver.1.1.1)
I have version 1.1.1 for Android and it refuses to start when in airplane mode.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Ver 1.1.2 runs fine in airplane mode on iOS.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Sorry, it looks like the online auth is for Android only (I don't have an apple device, but this can be confirmed in the update notes for 1.1.0). I have edited my post above.
Good news for ios users, though!

I feel I should give a more positive comment to offset my more cynical remark above:
Regardless of when and whether it will be pulled, it costs the same as about 10 credits for an arcade game; it may be better to see it as an experience rather than a permanent thing if you are on the fence on Android - I am still on the fence myself.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

mojilove wrote:Regardless of when and whether it will be pulled, it costs the same as about 10 credits for an arcade game; it may be better to see it as an experience rather than a permanent thing if you are on the fence on Android - I am still on the fence myself.
The mental gymnastics are strong. If you game isn't a gacha or follows the GAAS model it has no business being online-only. Fuck Tanoshimasu for patching in this DRM. Way to spit of your original supporter's face.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Oniros wrote: The mental gymnastics are strong.
Sorry, I shouldn't have posted anything in the first place.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I don't like DRM either but $9? That's experience prices. Less than a movie ticket.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

To really stay on topic about Exa Arcadia, I spoke with an arcade operator who frequently contacts with Shou, and got some info about Exa Arcadia launch hardware and games.

Take this as NOT OFFICIAL, as nothing is totally confirmed. Always take things with good grains of salt.

Fall 2019 (Japan) - Early 2020 (North America & EU)
For the Japan and Western launch of Exa Arcadia, both the hardware and game carts will not have online functionality, so all games will be completely playable offline without any problem. For future updates, the units has to be replaced by sending them to HQ (aka manual patching) for any game updates.

Middle - Late 2020
New hardware revision and cartridges will have online functionality, making online updates (aka online / auto patching) easily convenient to any operator and arcade connoisseurs (those who can afford arcade motherboards for home use).

Anyways, there is nothing more to share than that.

Let's all keep a happy vibe and wish Exa Arcadia their best.
Gus

Post by Gus »

People currently seem focused on Dangen's treatment of the DE devs due to the Medium posts disparaging them, but those same posts contain some pretty appalling information on what was later confirmed to be Exa's treatment of the DE devs as well.
While I don’t necessarily approve of DE Dev’s language here, for full context, he is referring to another predatory publisher who took advantage of DE Dev’s dyslexia and tricked him into signing a contract by pretending it was a routine devkit lease agreement, when it was actually a contract attempting to take merchandise rights for DE. This publisher then immediately began harassing and disparaging DE Dev, thinking he had complete control over DE Dev with this contract. This publisher then threatened in a public Discord to physically assault me to retaliate against DE Dev refusing to work with him, as the publisher had seen me in an interview about DE and assumed I was DE Dev’s girlfriend. Dangen was discussing the possibility of continuing to negotiate with this publisher, and this was his answer.
So, yeah, fuck Exa.
yosai

Post by yosai »

kuze wrote:I have version 1.1.1 for Android and it refuses to start when in airplane mode.
I just reinstalled the game and it was the same until I did the following.

Boot the game normally, when in game enable flight mode and then force quit the game. It now boots fine in airplane mode with all connectivity disabled. (unrooted LG G6 stock Android 9.0)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

yosai wrote:
kuze wrote:I have version 1.1.1 for Android and it refuses to start when in airplane mode.

Boot the game normally, when in game enable flight mode and then force quit the game. It now boots fine in airplane mode with all connectivity disabled. (unrooted LG G6 stock Android 9.0)
Will the above apply to the Android based tablets (that can run the Aka & Blue app -- i.e.: the Samsung 10.1 Tablet can run this easily) as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

It needs activation on their servers, so it needs internet.
kuze

Post by kuze »

yosai wrote:

That may work for a while but it will eventually need to go online to reauthenticate again if I understand the change log correctly. Not a problem unless they pull the server down.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Looks like another shooting game has went through its location test. That title is Infinos Exa, a definitive edition of Infinos Gaiden.

3 ships to choose instead of one
2 game modes:
Original - like Infinos Gaiden, but adjusted to be harder than hardest setting
Exa - Start off with full power and replenish barrier levels against powerful enemy hordes
Rebalanced gameplay to be harder and arcade friendly

Video trailer for Infinos Exa can be seen from the tweet
https://twitter.com/picorinne_soft/stat ... 0001227776

This game, along with Vritra Hexa, is what Exa Arcadia games aims for with exclusive content that makes any game worth playing at arcades.

Also for platforming fans, new trailer for Gimmick! Exact Mix showcases improvements from JAEPO 2019 demo.
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 3088745473
blossom

Post by blossom »

I returned Infinos Gaiden on Steam because, despite wanting to like the game, the gameplay wasn't quite as fun as it could have been. I would love to try out the new version. Hopefully whenever this whole "bring back the arcades" nonsense fails, EXA titles that are already on Steam will receive those updates.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shou, the founder of Exa Arcadia, has confirmed that Aka & Blue Type R(evolution) will begin shipping starting this week to the rest of the world with improved gameplay balance and bug fixes.

The news comes from Arcade Heroes:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/01/06/aka ... -shipping/

Shipment facility was on Japan holiday break from December 28, 2019 to January 5, 2020. Found that out from Arcade Otaku Exa Arcadia thread.

I feel pleased that units will begin shipping everywhere. Hopefully I can find one of those new games at a nearby arcade. That means 2020 can be the beginning of Exa Arcadia. That also means more shmups to come as well.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Can't wait for them to ban recording/streaming of the overseas release as well :roll:
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
zak

Post by zak »

All Western orders have now shipped.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Arcade Otaku has a new thread of Aka & Blue Type R as it has arrived to some lucky collectors.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41143

At least we can celebrate with Exa Arcadia being shipped on January 6, 2020 and arrived January 15, 2020.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Turns out there's an arcade ~10 minutes from my job that's getting in Aka to Blue Type R, and probably Gimmick. Not sure about the other two titles. When work calms down I might spend a lunchbreak or two there.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

I'm assuming this is the Chaos Code project that was teased last year for the exA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAJJOuk4C78
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*