EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bassa-Bassa

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I don’t get the argument that it just a pc,pretty much all arcade hardware from the mid 2000s is pc based one way or the other the like of taito and sega charged huge prices for there hardware/software then they continued cashing in from operators taking a share of profits.let’s not forget before pc based there was also hardware based on consoles like ps1,Saturn etc.
PC-based forces to have an OS (Windows, no less) running behind and dictating the limitations on how to exploit the hardware, not to mention the implications of having multiple components instead of a single PCB, being this based on a home console or not. Conceptually it's night and day, and I'm afraid in practice it also shows.

i do agree they need some hard hitting titles,the games aren’t just straight steam ports that’s a misconception a lot of work goes into them before release.
Isn’t exclusivity the whole piont of a arcade platform?
Exclusivity, in general, should be the point of any platform as it's indeed that what makes money, but arcade games were never about exclusivity intentionally, and especially not in a permanent form. Many companies tried hard to bring home accurate ports in the 32bit era, for example.

Let’s not forget some of the greatest shmups were born from the the arcade!most of the shmups are still being played today some games over 30yrs old!There’s some great Indy shmups and I enjoy and support them but none really get close to a arcade classic from cave,raizing,irem etc!hopfully exa can do the same or at least get close,if it gets popular enough maybe more developers will sign up
The arcades as they were are dying and Exarcadia won't save them. And you'll need more than good luck to get again the quality from the golden years - there's no money for that and the capable people are retiring.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:Wake me up when Gimmick Exact Mix comes out on a platform I can actually realistically play. :)
I got to play that once at BEEP since they had it there set to free play last summer. I only played it for like 5 minutes, but from what I've played it's basically the same as the Famicom version but with more colors and a 16:9 aspect ratio. It's gone now, though; there are a few X68000s and an FM Towns where it used to be.
pablumatic

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publis

Post by pablumatic »

If I ever won the lottery I'd get an Exa-Arcadia and the Gimmick! remake. As it is, living in rural West Virginia I have no access to these games.
Last edited by pablumatic on Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

There's an arcade in Greensboro NC that has one (with actual shmups in it), if you are willing and able to take a road trip.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Closest arcade to me is a 5-6hr round trip but it’s absolutely worth it!not just for shmups they have everything,it’s to easy to stay home these days!i try to go as often as possible and show a little support
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

If I took a road trip to an arcade it would be to Galloping Ghost Arcade in IL.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

For sure. I've thought about doing that, myself. Taking a train from VA -> Chicago while stopping at amusement parks in PA/OH along the way. That'd be a cool vacation.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
I don’t get the argument that it just a pc,pretty much all arcade hardware from the mid 2000s is pc based one way or the other the like of taito and sega charged huge prices for there hardware/software then they continued cashing in from operators taking a share of profits.let’s not forget before pc based there was also hardware based on consoles like ps1,Saturn etc.
PC-based forces to have an OS (Windows, no less)
Sega Lindbergh used some variant of Linux. (Montvista Linux).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not too familiar with Lindbergh, but I thought that was also a PC
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Lindbergh Yellow and Red use Linux, Blue uses Windows embedded (but it's also for horse racing games and such, not the big hits)
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

New announcement for P-47 Aces Kai with character roster doubled and new game modes: 4 player is called wide(?) and 2 player wide is Kai(?).
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202207200013/

https://twitter.com/japan_vg_shop/statu ... P8zn9fcBqg

For Japanese release of Tohou arcade game, the cartridges are first available to operators. Game will have autographed copies for whatever reason.
https://twitter.com/arcadeotaku/status/ ... 0e0xB3dhGQ

And for fighting game fans, Samurai Shodown V Perfect is undergoing a location test, with overkills being brought back to Special level and above: sliced bodies and bloody violence galore.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I guess Perfect Sakura Fantastica is going with the old "Only kids play in easy mode!!" meme. :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

P 47 Aces Kai / MK II is ready for preorder and will have first set shipped on September 29th. It seems all game modes will support 8 playable characters with the new modes being 4 player while original will stick with two players.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I played P-47 Aces Kai today.
Spoiler
Fun game. I don't suppose there is any chance of this getting an actual home release, so I guess I'll give up hope for it now. Same with Senjin Aleste, as well, for that matter, which is also a really nice game, and this makes me sad.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I will not be able to play it for who knows how long, but Kai looks awesome. I continue to be pleased (and surprised, really) that exA is generating enough revenue to fund work like this. All signs point to this being a meaningful redesign of a real hidden gem of the STG wonder years.

I'd like to see exA continue working on more meaningful overhauls like this one (and the Gimmick! redesign). Some of their releases continue to baffle me, I don't see the internal logic - especially the partnership with RIKI (Kira Kira especially, but even Ninja Astro Man is not the best playthrough aside from the music). I'm in biased spaces, but whenever I see someone's private exA setup these days, it is nearly always a combination of: SDOJ, Akai K., Aka&Blue, Gimmick!. Hopefully that's a trend, and hopefully that will motivate exA staying in the STG arena and pumping out new, meaningful STG content.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Steven wrote:Fun game. I don't suppose there is any chance of this getting an actual home release, so I guess I'll give up hope for it now. Same with Senjin Aleste, as well, for that matter, which is also a really nice game, and this makes me sad.
We really deserve a console port for this and Senjin Aleste...
Steven

Post by Steven »

xxx1993 wrote:
Steven wrote:Fun game. I don't suppose there is any chance of this getting an actual home release, so I guess I'll give up hope for it now. Same with Senjin Aleste, as well, for that matter, which is also a really nice game, and this makes me sad.
Or something better: PC releases.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Steven wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:
Or something better: PC releases.
Yeah, why not? Just as long as we get something...
system11

Post by system11 »

Touhou Perfect Sakura Fantastica is a really nice release by the way. I sold a lot of nice Namco PCBs and a cabinet to pay for it.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Mine is waiting for me when I get home tomorrow. I'll probably put it on location this week for the 1 person in Missouri who cares :lol: . Picked up that, Cosmic Digger 3671, and Samurai Shodown V Perfect. Going to take Infinos out, even though I quite like it.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

The IAPPA is big news for product expansion in North America with a dedicated modular cabinet. ~~Like~~ Almost barely candy cabs, but wooden and adjustable.

https://arcadeheroes.com/2022/10/27/exa ... aapa-2022/

I do like smaller form cabinets better.

Also, Shinorubi Pink Label will be playable at IAPPA along with lots of games.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Why is Shinorubi getting an arcade port? I tried playing it, I could never get into it... It's too tough to play.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I already have my ticket to IAAPA (I live in FL a few hours from there and I go every year, I'm affiliated with Arcade Odyssey down here so i'm considered "in industry" lol) I'll report back if anyone is interested?
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

xxx1993 wrote:Why is Shinorubi getting an arcade port? I tried playing it, I could never get into it... It's too tough to play.
Don't get me started, big freaking blow up about that news several pages back in this thread when announced. I'm just glad we're still getting some variant of Shinorubi on consoles... :shock:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Redfox wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Why is Shinorubi getting an arcade port? I tried playing it, I could never get into it... It's too tough to play.
Don't get me started, big freaking blow up about that news several pages back in this thread when announced. I'm just glad we're still getting some variant of Shinorubi on consoles... :shock:
Well, they better put in a Novice or Casual Mode in those ports... Because it's impossible to reach the true final boss on Normal Mode.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MrJBRPG wrote:Like candy cabs, but wooden and adjustable.
Have you never seen a candy cab before? They are sleek, made of plastic/metal, and are sit-down affairs. That's really not an apt comparison here. This cabinet is nearly identical to every other stand-up western arcade cab, shitty controls and all. Minus the rotatable bezel or whatever that is bordering the screen area.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

it definitely looks like it's trying to be an HD Neo Geo cabinet for the people who love those, for whatever reason. not my thing either, never been a fan of that style!
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Holy bezels Batman. Well good thing that this thing is adjustable, because we all know its nearly impossible to change control panels and such on Candy cabs!
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

caldwert wrote:Mine is waiting for me when I get home tomorrow. I'll probably put it on location this week for the 1 person in Missouri who cares :lol: . Picked up that, Cosmic Digger 3671, and Samurai Shodown V Perfect. Going to take Infinos out, even though I quite like it.
I care!

I need to get over there.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Well don't be in too much of a rush. I fucked up something on my vertical cabinet. Should be fixed shortly though. Horizontal setup is running Samurai Shodown, Cosmic Digger, Super Battle Princess Madelyn, and Vritra.