EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ddshot

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by Ddshot »

Exa is doing great things,congrats to the whole exa team,they have helped revitalise the arcade and made there products available to anyone who wants them.when’s the last time any of you last visited a arcade?to support your local arcade and the genre we all claim to luv?or do you just stay home with your mame pc’s?
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Shit some pcbs well more than 5k
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

A more interesting topic, guys - does P-47 Aces Kai use Mame's code in some degree? Will Batsugun do? Did you ask Exarcadia? Do you care?
VxD

Post by VxD »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:A more interesting topic, guys - does P-47 Aces Kai use Mame's code in some degree? Will Batsugun do? Did you ask Exarcadia? Do you care?
Well, I just asked trap15 who worked on the port because I care and find this stuff fascinating: they were lucky to have access to the original source code but trap had to write new build tools and a high performance emulation layer to get parts of the code to run. Tons of interesting and fun engineering work I can’t do justice here.
No MAME involved at all. I’d expect Batsugun to use similar techniques.
system11

Post by system11 »

I do not understand the FOMO comments - the 'fear of missing out' which I assume is what people are talking about saying "FOMO". It's a marketing tactic mostly used with special editions, pre-order only releases like Strictly Limited, day 1 DLC and that kind of scummy behaviour. The way it's being used above seems to be based on the exclusivity model - setting aside the two Cave titles affected (I can see both sides here, it is what it is but it's still trivially easy to play them at home on various formats), releasing Exa versions on the Exa platform is no different to Switch exclusives. The games are also all still available to buy so missing out is not actually possible. In cases where they are upgraded PC games the originals are also all still available to buy. It seems more like an axe to grind comment.

I deleted a couple of replies that were just bait / insulting.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BIL

Post by BIL »

VxD wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:A more interesting topic, guys - does P-47 Aces Kai use Mame's code in some degree? Will Batsugun do? Did you ask Exarcadia? Do you care?
Well, I just asked trap15 who worked on the port because I care and find this stuff fascinating: they were lucky to have access to the original source code but trap had to write new build tools and a high performance emulation layer to get parts of the code to run. Tons of interesting and fun engineering work I can’t do justice here.
trap is a fuckin superhero, god damn. Image
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

BIL wrote:
VxD wrote:
trap is a fuckin superhero, god damn. Image
[FLEXED BICEPS]
nem

Post by nem »

https://twitter.com/trap0xf/status/1012581949238435840

They seem to be more than capable of making their own emulators when needed.
system11

Post by system11 »

As an aside I've really been enjoying the Touhou release, the responsiveness of the controls over trying to play by keyboard (I'm terrible at that) or a USB pad is very obvious and the remixed soundtrack is truly excellent. You can hardly call it a mix in fact, 'recomposed' is closer and you get a lot more of the hooks from the original Perfect Cherry Blossom. I'm sorting out hardware to finally make captures and will throw them up on Youtube at some point - vertical will all be SD for the people like me who always want to know what it looks like in that mode. Since I play horizontal on my TV those would tend to be 1080P. It turns out an Elgato and a couple of cables are really all you need.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Post the vids in this thread if you do.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

system11 wrote:releasing Exa versions on the Exa platform is no different to Switch exclusives.
Except for the ~30x cost multiplier for the software alone. I'd say that's quite a huge barrier for entry for the people who want to play these games legally. If the promise of Neo-Geo-like pricing had actually played out, I think there'd be a whole lot less complaining. And the FOMO is due purely to the fact that it's been said many times that the EXA exclusive content will never get ported. If it was "let the arcades have exclusivity for a few years, and then it would be fine to port it", again, you'd have a whole lot less people complaining.
system11

Post by system11 »

FOMO doesn't apply to that as I've explained, it's simply expensive. Arcade games marketed primarily to operators always were (I spent my entire work bonus on Espgaluda 2 when it was released, back when bonuses were a thing...) If you don't think it's acceptable value for money or can't make a purchase like that, that's absolutely fine, normal even - but it does not make it a fear of missing out model. You could say that if the games were 20% of their current price then they'd sell 5 times more - possible, who knows? That's a decision for the company though who need to pay wages and stay in business, and right now they are the only game in town in terms of traditional joystick controlled arcade games.

Are expensive watches FOMO? You can go right into a high street store next week and drop 2x the cost of an EXA game on a watch with an off the shelf movement just because of the name on it.
system11

Post by system11 »

Also as an aside the HDMI adapter arrived this afternoon. The delivery guy managed to bust all the tape I put over our letterbox (it's letting in a jetstream of cold air and heating in the UK is ridiculously expensive now). I'm not sure how to measure if it adds latency over and above using a DVI-D one, it does need more power though so you have to feed it via USB. It seems like a better solution overall - I used the USB port on the back of the exa for power, but the audio cable only needs to go as far as the adapter now and you can stick an Elgato in the middle with no effort at all without needing any kind of splitter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Adapter ... ref=sr_1_3

I previously tried a Lenovo one I use with my laptop, that didn't work well - the image seemed slightly smaller than it should be by a few %, and there was a short flashing red line out in the area where nothing should be drawn. At some point I'll dig out the X-Capture and do a still screenshot capture over DVI-VGA and HDMI-VGA to compare the picture but that stuff is all packed away at the moment.
system11

Post by system11 »

Udderdude wrote:Post the vids in this thread if you do.
Here are four so far - when I was first looking to buy one it was hard to find standard definition content, I'm glad they made sure it was compatible. So the setup is Exa in SD mode, using the HDMI output into an Elgato HD60 S+ (Black Friday pickup 46% off!), then the passthrough is connected to a Benfei HDMI -> VGA converter (USB powered version which supports sound output via a jack). It was nice to avoid having to introduce splitters etc.

SDOJ:
https://youtu.be/dhW8AJArcdc

Akyrios:
https://youtu.be/TsIUmYCCZNU

Aka & Blue:
https://youtu.be/Iv_9VWE75lM

Touhou Perfect Sakura Fantastica:
https://youtu.be/JG6_NnPqVao
pdp

Post by pdp »

I just picked up an exA along with Aka & Blue and Crimson Katana. For controls, I started with a USB IONA and then ended up building a dedicated stick with a Tucson Logic JVS board in it.
Last edited by pdp on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

pdp wrote:My unit arrived with an overpowering mildew smell and they refused me an exchange. Apparently that's not considered a defect.
Looks like the games are as moldy as the hardware. :lol:

:dons flamesuit:
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Stick with aka and blue,it’s really hard at first but when it clicks it clicks and is most satisfying!Not sure what issues you had with your product but hopefully you have no problems.i haven’t had any.i found there shipping to be fast and well packed,no smell issues etc.at this point my only gripe is posting the game carts to Japan for updates.hopfully they can sort something in the EU,US soon,but great to see them updating and supporting there earlier releases,vritra is awsome and worth picking up it’s a nice change from bullet hell and it’s not the same game as steam as some think
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

If anyone is near Philly/East PA, there's a new arcade (Retroware Arcade) that had a grand opening today, they got an Exa-Arcadia set-up with Gimmick and P-47 Aces!
Spoiler
I still think Exa-arcadia runs on a crappy business model, but I'm no longer perpetually seething/butt-blasted about it now that I have P-47 Aces Mk. 2 within driving distance
sharak

Post by sharak »

I have decided I would like an exA now I finally have the cash saved - anyone selling a unit in the EU (shipping Germany) or Switzerland?

Good and valid points about r.e. FOMO
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

At least Exa Arcadia will show their complete release catalogue along with new upcoming games at the last JAEPO event of 2023 on February 10-11. Other smaller scale Japan bound amusement conventions will follow, based on reading the Exa channel on discord.

Two unannounced games will be revealed with one fighting and one vertical shooting game.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

The fighting game was a port of Daemon Bride, an old Team Arcana game. This sucks because I wanted to see a console port of it...

Also, you have to send the unit in to the company for firmware updates? I heard this today and that's pretty damn sketchy if you ask me. I'm not surprised there's not many places with setups if Exa is just telling people "yeah you can't update yourself, send the unit to Japan and we'll do it instead". Cost is a problem enough, having to risk damage during shipping from a mere firmware update is just adding onto it. I'm sure they'd try to mitigate this with a US location but even with that I just could not see myself doing that if I were an operator.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I literally sent one of my units off yesterday to Ohio, before was outside Los Angeles. I've never had to send anything to Japan.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

I stand corrected, but still shouldn't you be able to do that yourself? Awfully weird to have to send a unit somewhere just to update it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Zeether wrote:The fighting game was a port of Daemon Bride, an old Team Arcana game. This sucks because I wanted to see a console port of it...
What's up with Team Arcana anyway? Shouldn't they work on finishing current games before announcing new ones (or new remakes of old ones)?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Zeether wrote:The fighting game was a port of Daemon Bride, an old Team Arcana game. This sucks because I wanted to see a console port of it...
This is one of the wildest gaming coincidences I've personally experienced. I have a bit of an affinity for Daemon Bride after discovering it several years back in Tokyo arcades on NESiCAxLive, spent quite a bit of time in Taito HEY playing it. On the day of this new announcement, I was actually looking into buying an Examu board with DB... and then the very next day I heard this news. That's such a random freak occurrence for a really obscure older game!

Now I kinda want to wait and see if this leads to some revitalized interest and maybe a console port (of the non "exAclusive" version), but IDK...
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

BrianC wrote:
What's up with Team Arcana anyway? Shouldn't they work on finishing current games before announcing new ones (or new remakes of old ones)?
LoveMax SixStars Extend is still broken on Steam (weird graphical glitches among other things) but they haven't said anything since the Exa port. I presume they want to get a revenue stream from those but I have no idea.

Daemon Bride though makes me sore. I played the ex-Board version and wished it had a port, and now that seems like an impossibility.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Zeether wrote:
BrianC wrote:
LoveMax SixStars Extend is still broken on Steam (weird graphical glitches among other things) but they haven't said anything since the Exa port. I presume they want to get a revenue stream from those but I have no idea.

Daemon Bride though makes me sore. I played the ex-Board version and wished it had a port, and now that seems like an impossibility.
LOVEMAX SixStars Extend is missing a few things, I noticed. Such as the character animations and the Continue quotes aren’t voiced for some odd reason.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

There are a few games being tested at Taito HEY. Found that out from my tour trip in Japan.

While I did play test a bit of Donut Dodo Do and Shinorubi Pink Label, I will not be able to play test the Batsugun Exa Label, which the last one starts in April 19th Japan.

Hope any of you in Japan had the chance to play those games at HEY and provide feedback.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

How much does an Exa-Arcadia cabinet cost (it comes with a 32" tateable lcd monitor setup)?

I see three American arcade distributors selling 'em but no price listed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:How much does an Exa-Arcadia cabinet cost (it comes with a 32" tateable lcd monitor setup)?

I see three American arcade distributors selling 'em but no price listed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
For a business operator, according to a video poster by Arcade Heroes, the total unit for the Arc - 1 would approximately be between $5k ~ $6k, which is quite a small price with all parts of the cabinet included plus control panel options.

The only way to find out is asking for the quote.

Otherwise you can source the cabinet, controls, audio, and monitor yourself and the motherboard and new Exa IO board should run you around $2800 ~ $3000.