Kyogeki Quartet Fighters (new retro shmup for Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Kyogeki Quartet Fighters (new retro shmup for Switch)

Post by BrianC »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I picked this up back when it first released in Japan, and while the aesthetics are great, the gameplay is pretty weak and repetitive and not too fun by yourself, since you have to try to manage about 6 different ships/things at once.

Another HUGE problem is the game WILL NOT let you use the d-pad under any circumstances, even with pro controllers/docked mode. It forces you to only use the analog stick.
I'm guessing the dpad thing was fixed in a patch since I had no problem controlling quad fighter k with dpad.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

BrianC wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:I picked this up back when it first released in Japan, and while the aesthetics are great, the gameplay is pretty weak and repetitive and not too fun by yourself, since you have to try to manage about 6 different ships/things at once.

Another HUGE problem is the game WILL NOT let you use the d-pad under any circumstances, even with pro controllers/docked mode. It forces you to only use the analog stick.
I'm guessing the dpad thing was fixed in a patch since I had no problem controlling quad fighter k with dpad.
I actually just booted it up to give it another go the other day, and you're right, it must have been fixed in a recent patch. Good on them, definitely makes it more playable, but it sucks that it was out for months with no option for d-pad.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

My main beef with this game is the 30 fps. How a game with 8 bit graphics can't hit 60 fps on a toaster in 2018 is inexcusable.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:My main beef with this game is the 30 fps. How a game with 8 bit graphics can't hit 60 fps on a toaster in 2018 is inexcusable.
Guessing there's a good chance this was on purpose, to match the performance of many old Famicom/NES games.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
guyot

Post by guyot »

https://b-sidegames.stores.jp/items/5f8 ... 6093a2feeb

physical edition available in Japan.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Arg, that's a pretty cool set. I am a sucker for all this retro swag, and will likely end up getting this for absolutely no good reason.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!