HYPER DUEL JP Saturn : check your CD if you own it

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
guigui

HYPER DUEL JP Saturn : check your CD if you own it

Post by guigui »

Hello all,

If this is not in the good section, please move it.
I have a copy Hyper Duel on the JP Saturn on which the CD looks strange :
- the first inner circle, on which is written the full number T-1809GP-011
- then a second inner circle which does not seem to appear on other JP Saturn games
- on this second inner circle, a black number 5 appears

Picture right below, see that second inner circle and the number 5 ?
https://servimg.com/view/15140028/883

Can you please open your copy and check :
* the number on the first inner circle
* the presence of the second inner circle
* the presence of a number on this second inner circle
Last edited by guigui on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BIL

Re: HYPER DUEL JP Saturn : open your copy if you own it

Post by BIL »

I'm away from my stuff currently, but in the meantime, have you tried asking around the Satakore forums? They're really good about this stuff (I used them to figure out which revision of OutRun I was looking at recently).
guigui

Post by guigui »

For sure I've contacted Madroms from Satakore, currently waiting for more answers from him.
He first said that the second inner circle looked strange, since there should be data written there, so the number 5 on it could corrupt data. The game runs fine though.

I'd appreciate if you can open your copy and check stuffs when you get your hands on it.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Inner most ring code: T-1809GP-01121 A
Outer ring: exists
Outer ring #: nothing that I can see.

My question to you regarding the "S" or "5" is this; can you see daylight through this number or is it etched into the outer ring? Hold the disc up to a light source for results. Blast Wind and Guardian Force also have the outer ring, but I believe its just a result of disc mastering, not some questionable anomaly - its different or non-existant for different games.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for checking Limbrooke, nice.
I could also check another copy of Hyper Duel and had the same result : same number, outer ring here, no number on it.

I currently do not have the "5" copy with me, but will check if we see light throught it as you asked.

All of this seems strange to me though, I mean suppose this "5" results from a scratch or a knock or something, what are the odds of it ending precisely on this outer ring ?

Other inputs appreciated.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just checked mine, same as Limbrooke's. Do you have the rest of the game's materials? Offhand, I'd wonder if it was a subtly-marked promo of some sort. Assuming it's not just a random factory quirk. :smile:
guigui

Post by guigui »

BIL wrote:Just checked mine, same as Limbrooke's. Do you have the rest of the game's materials? Offhand, I'd wonder if it was a subtly-marked promo of some sort. Assuming it's not just a random factory quirk. :smile:
Thanks for the input BIL. Yes the "5" copy I bought had everything (except reg card) : case, manual, CD, spine.

The regular version seems to indeed be with this outer ring, and nothing on it. I also checked Blast Wind and Guardian Force and confirm that, as Limbrooke said, they have the outer ring. None of the other games I checked do.

I also tend to think that the "5" is a distinctive mark of some sort, put here on purpose. But then more questions come :
- aren't there supposed to be data written here ?
- does anyone have another marked copy ?

Keep opening your copies fellow shmuppas.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

this thread is supposed to make you open vga graded copies
you won't get me OP
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Noooooooooo my cellophane.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Ahah, I did not expect the "sealed collector" company to come visit here for sure.

Let me reformulate : open your used copies, fellow shmuppas.
Shelcoof

Re: HYPER DUEL JP Saturn : check your CD if you own it

Post by Shelcoof »

Inner most ring code: T-1809GP-01121 A
Outer ring: exists no other marks noticed

I bought mine almost 15 years ago complete with registration.

That '5' or what looks to be an 'S' maybe what they call disc rot if you can shine a light through it.

Disc rot is when the disc starts to deteriorate and start to become unreadable.

I hope the '5' in your case is not though.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the input Panzer Shelcoof,

Disc rot is scary, I'll check for the light shining through it as soon as possible.
But how comes the disc rot would take the shape of a 5 or an S, and land precisely on this outer ring ?
Also, are there actual data on this ring ? It seems to me like there are not, because the disc plays fine while this mark would definitely corrupt the data.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Almos off-topic note : Panzer Dragoon Saga US discs also have the inner ring, a bit larger.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Luckily no data has been corrupted. But once the disc is rotting it could start to expand and get bigger which could start rotting actual data and corrupting it. As far as the shape it might be a coincidence but let's cross your fingers that it's not disc rot. Hyper duel is a pretty expensive game.