Helicopter-themed shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Helicopter-themed shmups

Post by BrianC »

xxx1993 wrote:I'm mostly familiar with the Genesis game. Wasn't there one on the NES except that one was pretty crappy? The Famicom version should be better.
The NES one is a pseudo 3D air combat game and the FC one is a shmup with pseudo 3D boss stages. FC game is completely different and from Kyugo, the developers of the Genesis game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I see.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Uhhh... Metal Hawk ? More people need to play it.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

I initially wanted to say Fire Shark for some reason... I love that game and for whatever reason I wanted to think you controlled a chopper... And I play that game at least once a month.

Hmm... maybe that's saying something?

The only game I've played that actually makes you feel like you're piloting a chopper with an impact on gameplay is Under Defeat.

Never, played Zero Gunner so I can't speak on that one.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm familiar with Metal Hawk.
phase3

Post by phase3 »

d-force is a unique helicopter shooter on the snes. it attempted a sort of two-tiered type of gameplay that requires you switch between foreground and background, sort of like vertical force on the virtual boy. its gimmick felt particularly appropriate for a helicopter themed shooter.
unfortunately the game is appalling and by no means recommended.

tetsu in gunbird flies a helicopter... well, a helicopter of sorts. it's pedal-powered and is made of wood, but manages to stay in the air by the same principle as any other chopper i'd imagine.

also, twin eagle: revenge joe's brother. i know someone already said it, but sans the subtitle i can't in good conscience consider it mentioned.

edit: just noticed pegboy mentioned d-force already.
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Don't forget Konami's Super Cobra.
Good one. Earliest example of sniper tanks in a shmup, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyways, there's Data East's Cobra-Command. Watch out for its janky movement, though.
The last section of the final level is a "huge battleship" encounter a la R-Type's third stage:

Last edited by FabulousVioletGuy on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
heli

Post by heli »

Ah, my favourite topic.

It is simpler to develop a game without rotor blades, else i see no reason to use airplanes or spaceships.