Aka & Blue Type-R (Exa Arcade 2018)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Xyga

Re: Aka & Blue Type-R (Exa Arcade 2018)

Post by Xyga »

This is stating the obvious but careful not to release a console-specific version (Type-S or whateverthename) that would be considered an improvement over the arcade (gameplay/system/etc) like only months or a year after the original EXA release.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Xyga wrote:This is stating the obvious but careful not to release a console-specific version (Type-S or whateverthename) that would be considered an improvement over the arcade (gameplay/system/etc) like only months or a year after the original EXA release.
the entire selling point of anything arcade isn't that it's a superior release, it's the fact that it's arcade and people who buy arcade stuff will buy arcade stuff even if the port was superior here
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The 'entire' is exaggerated but that's in line with your opinion of people who buy pcbs despite you complaining about shitty ports ad nauseam, right, (though you might be right about a majority of pcb hoarders and potential EXA customers today, but it wasn't always like that)
Still, I don't believe their motivation would hold as firmly as you think in front of a similarly interesting or better console version released in the relatively short term after the arcade (can't be a port since the arcade will remain exclusive indeed, so funnily it would be a console exclusive)
qmish

Post by qmish »

Bananamatic wrote: the entire selling point of anything arcade isn't that it's a superior release, it's the fact that it's arcade and people who buy arcade stuff will buy arcade stuff even if the port was superior here
Too bad ng:dev team disagrees and acts like neogeo collectors will stop buy their products if they'll port them to psn or else
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Xyga wrote:This is stating the obvious but careful not to release a console-specific version (Type-S or whateverthename) that would be considered an improvement over the arcade (gameplay/system/etc) like only months or a year after the original EXA release.
You will not be able to play 3:4 ratio arcade tuned Aka & Blue on any platform period.
become history
clippa

Post by clippa »

Shou wrote:Type-R will never be ported - arcade only to maximize operator income
Aw! A version of aka to blue without the exa-arcade exclusive content could still come to pc though, right?
Type-(another letter)?

I really want to play this game and I'm not too keen on the idea of dropping a grand on a locked down pc when I have an open one sat right in front of me.
I'm happy to make the sacrifice if it means that arcades get a shot in the arm and people start making more games though.

In the g.rev thread you said "To clarify, any choice would be for arcade first then PC/console later. That's how the economics of this work out."
Is that just for the g.rev game?
Have they decided to just add some more content to strania instead of making another game or are they just doing that first to take a run up?
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

clippa wrote:
Shou wrote:Type-R will never be ported - arcade only to maximize operator income
Aw! A version of aka to blue without the exa-arcade exclusive content could still come to pc though, right?
Type-(another letter)?

I really want to play this game and I'm not too keen on the idea of dropping a grand on a locked down pc when I have an open one sat right in front of me.
I'm happy to make the sacrifice if it means that arcades get a shot in the arm and people start making more games though.

In the g.rev thread you said "To clarify, any choice would be for arcade first then PC/console later. That's how the economics of this work out."
Is that just for the g.rev game?
Have they decided to just add some more content to strania instead of making another game or are they just doing that first to take a run up?
Aka & Blue will not have a PC port.

Any console port will be a significantly different game like the mobile version vs the arcade version.

G. Rev announcementS will be made in the near future.
become history
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shou wrote:You will not be able to play 3:4 ratio arcade tuned Aka & Blue on any platform period.
I got you, but your statements still don't rule out a console exclusive version nor that it wouldn't have 3:4/tate either.

Could be an heavily modified game or even a kind of sequel using the same engine, whatever, my point is if ever exists and comes out too early it could hurt the A&B EXA sales.
Unless it's purposedly made inferior/uninteresting of course. But what kind of developer would use that strategy lol?
clippa

Post by clippa »

The exa hardware is a pc though, isn't it, running windows?
Make sure you lock that thing down tight!

This exa thing, could I plug in a usb arcade stick and plug it into a monitor or would I have to buy a cabinet for it?
If there are going to be quite a few new exciting games coming for it that won't be just tarted up ports of existing pc games, I might start saving up.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

clippa wrote:could I plug in a usb arcade stick
Unlikely, unless they add that feature specifically. The simplest way would to be to use a Supergun and a JAMMA I/O board just for the controls. Otherwise, yes you could hook it up to a TV or monitor.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Sorry, this topic should have been split off a long time ago. You can continue to discuss "PCB vs PC port vs Emulation" viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61969 merits here. But please keep the discussion civil.

Thanks,
Frenetic
Forum Moderator
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I hope I will be able to find this somewhere somewhat close. The closest places with arcade games are restaurants and their game selections haven't been the greatest. All the mall arcades closed down with little notice (replaced by a cell phone store!) and even the movie theater no longer has arcade games. This is a nice retro arcade that's not too far away, but I wouldn't expect them to have newer games. I would like to play this game, but neither of my smart devices (ipad 4 and Samsung galaxy core prime) support it.
Barba

Post by Barba »

BrianC wrote:This is a nice retro arcade that's not too far away, but I wouldn't expect them to have newer games.
Drop them a hint when it's out.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

The version just put up at Fightcade Offline is a custom version probably never to be seen again afterwards. If you play it let us know if there are obvious rule changes to the scoring.

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/9 ... 5230843904
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

First game play videos on YT. Looks pretty hard core for me. Looks 100x harder than the handy game :shock: . I really hope it's also comming to other systems (PC, consoles).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuS6F9zt9s&t=1105s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjaJAmWsa0&t
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I feel very happy that people are finally getting their hands on EXA Arcadia and the titular launch title.

What is nicer is that the game has all five stages available for individual score attacks. Great for holding more score records. The mobile original had those stages to be unlocked from story mode.
OlDirty wrote:First game play videos on YT. Looks pretty hard core for me. Looks 100x harder than the handy game :shock: . I really hope it's also comming to other systems (PC, consoles).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuS6F9zt9s&t=1105s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjaJAmWsa0&t
Some of us wish to have "arcade perfect" experience everywhere. However, due to the arcade exclusive version mandate, an altered version for consoles and PC would be the only viable option.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Well, I would expect that some of those 'arcade exclusive' agreements have a temporal aspect to them.
From a game publisher perspective, they are going to receive some income only from the initial sale of the game on the EXA Arcadia platform.
I guess Tanoshimasu spent quite a lot of time and effort porting & enhancing this from the original phone exclusive version, so it would make sense for them - in, let's say, 2 years time - to be able to generate more revenues with a console port.
Perhaps certain aspects can remain arcade exclusive, while some console exclusive ones will entice people to buy the newer version.
By then, it probably won't make any difference for operators : people who keep playing in the arcade will continue doing so, whether there's a console port or not.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
qmish

Post by qmish »

I liked Aka to Blue on my ipad, but on Stage 4 it becomes a bit "too danmaku" for me (hitpoint is very small, and bullets are very small to and many of them with too much micro and chains), comparing to Cave titles etc, so i never progressed further; also when i do hit "special", it's hard for me to direct it in a side... often i just waste it coz it goes more left or more right (would be ok if it just be forward instead), failing to convert bullets into stuff and loosing charge.

Tl;dr while i'm very loyal to touchscreen shmups, i'll definitely would give a shot of Aka to Blue new versions; there are no arcade centers where i live, and almost no arcades at all, so i can only expect ports in the future.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BrianC wrote:I hope I will be able to find this somewhere somewhat close. The closest places with arcade games are restaurants and their game selections haven't been the greatest. All the mall arcades closed down with little notice (replaced by a cell phone store!) and even the movie theater no longer has arcade games. This is a nice retro arcade that's not too far away, but I wouldn't expect them to have newer games. I would like to play this game, but neither of my smart devices (ipad 4 and Samsung galaxy core prime) support it.
Aka & Blue will be playable at the arcade in Marley Station Mall (Glen Burnie, MD). Star Creator recently got the board and we played it some last night.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

If anyone's local to St. Louis, this is now on location at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade in St. Charles, MO on a Vewlix Diamond Black. Played 2 credits on Sunday while setting it up, but will jam a bunch on it tomorrow night.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Hey all,

I'm trying to gather all known locations running or planning to run the game. So far I have:

Arcade Galactic, West Valley City, UT (still in transit)
GamePlay, Marley Station Mall, Glen Burnie, MD
Mikado Game Center Europe, Tudela, Spain (open April)
Sugoi, Helsinki, Finland
Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade, St. Charles, MO

I'm trying to gather all this in the easily searchable Zenius -I- vanisher.com Arcade Database (select "Aka & Blue" from the series dropdown and hit search) as the games go online.
Last edited by StarCreator on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

caldwert wrote:If anyone's local to St. Louis, this is now on location at Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade in St. Charles, MO on a Vewlix Diamond Black. Played 2 credits on Sunday while setting it up, but will jam a bunch on it tomorrow night.
:D :) :P :mrgreen:

I was planning to grab a kit as I'd love to support Shou and have some new games to play. However I'd have to get over the new cab hump and I've been out of the scene for a while. Damn.

Will have to get over to check it out though.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zak

Post by zak »

Cagar wrote:Well now that I've tried it, the biggest input lag shmup award goes to...? :|

From video footage I captured, I count 6-7 frames. So pissed because the game seemed awesome otherwise.
Which cab did you play it on?
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zak

Post by zak »

I tried it on a Diamond Black. Feels ok on that.
zak

Post by zak »

nem

Post by nem »

So according to that the monitor in mine (same as C) is as fast as the one in the Diamond Black.

Anyway, if someone local wants to bring me a top of the line PC gaming monitor and Cagar wants to try again, I'm happy to oblige.

I think I remember shou mentioning the Taito JVS IO is one of the slowest polling IOs, but we're talking a matter of milliseconds there.
zak

Post by zak »

nem wrote:
I think I remember shou mentioning the Taito JVS IO is one of the slowest polling IOs, but we're talking a matter of milliseconds there.
I remember something similar. The Capcom IO is the worst I think.
nem

Post by nem »

I'm happy to rig up the game to a Sega IO for testing.