G Rev - Pick What They Do Next

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

What Should G Rev Make Next?

New Horizontal Shooter (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
41%
New Sidescrolling Action Game (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
5%
New Bullet Hell Vertical Shooter (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
23%
Sequel to an Existing Dormant Japanese IP like Magical Drop, Windjammers, etc (Reply with a comment specifying which)
6%
Port of Strania that you can buy on a PCB format
2%
Port of Under Defeat HD that you can buy on a PCB format
1%
Border Down HD (Higher resolution version of their classic on a PCB format)
22%

Total votes: 212

mikejmoffitt

Re: G Rev - Pick What They Do Next

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I'm happy to see any new arcade platform with backing of people who actually care about it.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

I put another vote in on an original hori shooter, but Border Down HD would be pretty rad, and probably more attainable.
Darkhero

Post by Darkhero »

I'm apprehensive about crowdfunded games but I have even less faith in Konami giving the Gradius license so unless you can get that I'd rather have a new horizontal shmup.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Seeing comments in this thread not care so much for PCB release (and rightfully so being a niche market of operators and collectors), I wonder if Tanoshimasu's Aki to Blue's progression is a better economic model for new releases, starting with Mobile, porting to Console, and then porting to Arcade. I'd imagine its cheaper to release and iterate on mobile first, and by the time you get to arcade port, you pretty much have a good indication of operator income potential.
nZero

Post by nZero »

CAMELTRY VR
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Dave_K. wrote:Seeing comments in this thread not care so much for PCB release (and rightfully so being a niche market of operators and collectors), I wonder if Tanoshimasu's Aki to Blue's progression is a better economic model for new releases, starting with Mobile, porting to Console, and then porting to Arcade. I'd imagine its cheaper to release and iterate on mobile first, and by the time you get to arcade port, you pretty much have a good indication of operator income potential.
Makes sense in terms of cost of development, but on the other hand, you'd be going from the most widely accessible platform to the least; if there's already mobile and console versions, what incentive is there for players to head to an arcade to play the game?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
d0s

Post by d0s »

Voted new horizontal shooter with "border down 2" in mind (or something with the quality of BD). absolutely don't want to see a port or remake, would be a tremendous waste imo

e: and I'd like to see a PCB
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Shepardus wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Seeing comments in this thread not care so much for PCB release (and rightfully so being a niche market of operators and collectors), I wonder if Tanoshimasu's Aki to Blue's progression is a better economic model for new releases, starting with Mobile, porting to Console, and then porting to Arcade. I'd imagine its cheaper to release and iterate on mobile first, and by the time you get to arcade port, you pretty much have a good indication of operator income potential.
Makes sense in terms of cost of development, but on the other hand, you'd be going from the most widely accessible platform to the least; if there's already mobile and console versions, what incentive is there for players to head to an arcade to play the game?
Taking Aki to Blue as example, there are changes that would need to be implemented to support display and control formats for each platform (Type S, Type R) so it won't necessarily be the same game. Seeing how popular "black label" versions are in PCB revisions, I'd say the same could hold true for these kinds of ports, especially since the PCB/Arcade format is rather limited in availability.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I voted for New Horizontal Shooter. As much as I'd like to see new arcade hardware, I think the shmup genre needs some life injected into it from the old grizzly arcade veteran devs.
Uzumakijl

Post by Uzumakijl »

The thing I would like the most from G.rev would be Steam ports of their other games, I have always had hopes for Border Down and Under Defeat being on steam someday, I even expected Mamorukun, I'm still surprised they picked their more niche entries (Strania and Senko no Ronde) instead of their more well regarded games.

Since that's not really an option from the poll, a new game that would later get ported to PC/Consoles would be the next best thing, I would also enjoy HD remasters (With new modes/Arrange modes like in Cave console ports) as long as they get ported to PC.

Any sort of collab they could pull off to revive an old IP would also be awesome, but it would potentially be a pretty niche thing, I would love to see a new Magical Drop, for example, but after the flop that Magical Drop V was I doubt your average consumer would trust a new version of that, Windjammers is very popular right now around the arcade/FGC scenes, so that would probably be a safer choice.

If they could somehow do something like M2 did with Konami's IP's with the ReBirth series and release all kinds of different arcade games with "smaller" budgets and price them accordingly that would be pretty nice too, but all of this sounds super unlikely given the "Arcade first, other platforms later" focus.

Sequels to older games like Border Down 2 and Gradius 6 would also be amazing, to be honest, any sort of collab between Treasure and G.rev would be really good, even if it was for a completely new game.

I picked the option for Horizontal shooter because Vertical shooters aren't super well received by the mainstream, a flashy looking Horizontal shooter will always be better received by the non-STG community, even if they aren't particularly good (Sine Mora is a good example).

Overall I'm pretty happy to hear G.Rev are still alive and in a decent enough position to afford making a new game.
“Approach your target and attack. Your mission starts now. Are you ready?”
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Voted for a new hori shooter, but "new side-scrolling action game" is a close second.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I vote for a new Windjammers as it will get them some cash. Then think about a new IP. Personally I'd prefer vertical stg in the Raystorm vein of things. Under Defeat sequel would also work for me. Most realistic though is one of the Data East IP's. Interested to hear more about these pcbs, haha.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

G.Rev have directly given us two excellent vertical shmups with Under Defeat and Strania. I'd like to see another horizontal shmup from them.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Shou wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:Border Down HD for NesicaXLive 2, with PC & PS4/XB1 versions after that.
Nesica 2 is only for fighters per Taito management.

Also, we have our own arcade hardware for these game releases - that's the whole point of this :)
What is your hardware and the "PCB" in the polls? I'm assuming both are PC based running some form of windows embedded. The word pcb would make me think some nice compact board with a jamma edge but i very much doubt thats the case (especially given the resolution requirements tou posted :) )
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Shepardus wrote:
Having worked on top monetizing mobile games, the largest hurdle these games face in that marketplace is discovery and user acquisition - both very costly. A premium title is going to be lost in the sea of releases unless it is called Minecraft so you can safely assume that the original version wasn't a huge commercial success.

Generally, with the difference in controls and aspect ratio, it's not an easy conversion.

What makes economic sense is the tried and true path of arcade -> console/PC where arcade sales can help recoup dev costs but there needs to be content to continue driving arcade sales so one of our developer mandates is that the arcade versions retain something exclusive that will never be released on another format. For some perspective, think of the arcade locations who pay $40,000 USD for the new Street Fighter and it comes out on console in 2 months from now destroying their income and any hope of breaking even much less turning a profit. We have other mechanisms to support the arcade eco system that are not announced yet.
become history
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Yep, vote here for a new horizontal shooter. In a perfect world, that would be Gradius 6, but i'll happily go for a Border Down 2. Preferably without the border system this time as I think it's a mere gimmick.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

This just in: Shmups forum prefers horizontal shooters to vertical ones!
5pectre

Post by 5pectre »

Uzumakijl wrote:The thing I would like the most from G.rev would be Steam ports of their other games.
I'd like this.

I voted for a new vertical shooter. I love Under Defeat and the details they've put into it.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

I'd guess that PCB sales directly to consumers ranging in four digit figures à la Mushi 1.5, Akai Katana Home and the Neodev stuff will be part of the business plan.
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I voted sequel with Gradius in mind. Gradius 5 HD on Switch, PS4 and Steam would be nice.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Shou wrote: What makes economic sense is the tried and true path of arcade -> console/PC where arcade sales can help recoup dev costs but there needs to be content to continue driving arcade sales so one of our developer mandates is that the arcade versions retain something exclusive that will never be released on another format. For some perspective, think of the arcade locations who pay $40,000 USD for the new Street Fighter and it comes out on console in 2 months from now destroying their income and any hope of breaking even much less turning a profit. We have other mechanisms to support the arcade eco system that are not announced yet.
This is so good to hear. I thought those days were long gone.

Is crowdfunding big in Japan? Is it the sort of thing arcades might get involved in or would that be aimed largely at the collectors market?
cools

Post by cools »

Much as I love me a vert I've voted for a new hori simply as those tend to lend themselves to home ports (Switch please) pretty well.

Would love to know more detail on the hardware. 720p means I'll never be able to play it on one of my own cabs but is it PC based or something more esoteric?
geotrig

Post by geotrig »

get Aka to blue a switch port !! :D
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

cools wrote:but is it PC based or something more esoteric?
This. ^

Aka to Blue on arcade hw would be very nice.
geosnow

Post by geosnow »

If not too expensive I d buy the pcb at release.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

I would vote for a horizontal shooter :wink:
Although I would love to see a new PCB coming - that would be my collector part talking :roll:
Otherwise, I would be just as happy to see it appear on any existing arcade system and/or Steam.

It goes without saying when there is a console product; a limited edition with disc is mandatory. :mrgreen:
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

senko no ronde 3 and fuck pcbs
console/pc only
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I'd be pretty happy with any of these options!

My preference would be for a new game of some kind, but I understand that the economics of that would be tough, In which case a port of Border Down would be no inconsiderable comfort.

I voted for a new hori shooter but I'm pretty conflicted about that since I'm sure a bullet hell vert would be incredible and there are also lots of games which deserve sequels. I particularly like the idea of tricking Konami into giving them money for Gradius VI hehe.
crybringer

Post by crybringer »

Dormant account, resurfacing for THIS.
I voted Border Down PCB, it's about time everyone gets to see this game.

I really hope G.Rev gets momentum to make a new title or gets the keys to the Gradius IP, sometime soon!
jugemscloud

Post by jugemscloud »

so there is custom (unreleased) or existing (known) hardware waiting to go for a pcb release of an existing ip? how does it spec comparatively to sh3?

and would a potential new ip be released on the same hardware, with crowdfunding to pay for game not hardware dev correct?

are you at liberty to any of discuss this?