shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
I was sick today so I took some of this home-bound time to finish up a ROM hack for ESP Ra. De. that replaces the "3 coins 1 credit" setting with "Free Play".

The source as well as IPS patches for the ROMs are available from this github repository.

https://github.com/Mikejmoffitt/esprade-freeplay

Image
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Jan 2010
Posts: 793
Location: Sweden
Awesome stuff!
_________________
http://www.taitostation.se
My 1cc Videos.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7552
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
But attract mode still works as usual, right? It’s not like Guwange’s Free Play?
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
Correct - the normal attract sequence is displayed until a game is started.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7552
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
Thank you for your service. Would it be possible to add this to Guwange as well? Would be quite an improvement not having the attract mode stuck on the title screen.
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
emphatic wrote:
Thank you for your service. Would it be possible to add this to Guwange as well? Would be quite an improvement not having the attract mode stuck on the title screen.

Probably - I just haven't played Guwange so I haven't had a look at it yet. The motivation here is that ESP Ra. De. is the only shooter PCB I own so I wanted to be able to set it up on a night people come over without having to fiddle with coin switches :P
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7855
It's about damn time that the ol' Cave/Atlus ESP.Ra.De pcb got a free play option. I inquired about such a "Free Play" option here on this hallowed shmups.com site many moons ago but it was no dice.

There are plenty of Cave shmup pcbs worthy of your arcade pcb stash, Mike. Don't just settle for one as with the lone ESP.Ra.De pcb (sure, the ol' wallet or purse will take a deep hit with the current prices especially with the classic Cave STG pcbs these days -- they were certainly more affordable back in the early to mid 2000s but those days are long gone).

Thanks for the cool free play option (fellow shmupper Bananamatic will still preach the ol' virtue of being able to play the classic Cave pcbs for free via emulation but in dealing with a real bonafide Cave pcb, it sure feels good to play with a real Cave pcb these days -- it doesn't any better than that, folks).

Any plans to do a free play option for the Japanese region ESP.Ra.De pcb as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
There are plenty of Cave shmup pcbs worthy of your arcade pcb stash, Mike. Don't just settle for one as with the lone ESP.Ra.De pcb (sure, the ol' wallet or purse will take a deep hit with the current prices especially with the classic Cave STG pcbs these days -- they were certainly more affordable back in the early to mid 2000s but those days are long gone).

This is the most expensive board I've ever bought and doing so made me wretch! I almost exclusively buy broken games that need work because it's cheaper, among other reasons. I'd love to buy everyone's broken cave boards, if they still exist out there - but I just can't justify something so expensive like these cave boards.

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Thanks for the cool free play option (fellow shmupper Bananamatic will still preach the ol' virtue of being able to play the classic Cave pcbs for free via emulation but in dealing with a real bonafide Cave pcb, it sure feels good to play with a real Cave pcb these days -- it doesn't any better than that, folks).

I used MAME extensivley for testing and debugging, and I know a lot of skilled players are okay with it, but playing this kind of game through the shitty, complicated stack of latencies and buffers that PC emulation implies just feels awful to me. I think emulation on an embedded platform, possibly tweaked for each game, synchronized to hardware readout vblank but without a triple buffer can go well, but - MAME on the PC is not useful to me beyond testing. And that doesn't even touch upon the "look and feel" appeal of playing on a cabinet with a nice monitor.

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Any plans to do a free play option for the Japanese region ESP.Ra.De pcb as well?

Maybe given a little more time. It's a pretty busy time for me right now but I'd like to do it. These Atlus cave games share a lot of code so making similar hacks for the other titles from this generation shouldn't be too hard.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 383
Location: Sweden
Awesome work indeed! Thank you :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7855
Came across this interesting tidbit concerning a bug crash that can occur with an ESP.Ra.De pcb setup on Mike's github page in regards to the free play patch:

; KIND OF GROSS HACK ALERT
; There is a bug that is extremely hard to reproduce. Only twice I
; have hit start, gotten through character select, the transition
; animation begins, and... the screen stays covered in the transition
; squares indefinitely. The BGM is still of the how to play / char
; select screen, so for some reason the transition to state $5 is
; not made. This is a soft watchdog to ensure that the character
; select screen is stuck for too long. This is for if the game is run
; in a semi-public setting.
;
; This hack is in the wait for vblank routine as the same mechanism is
; used to allow you to hold P1 & P2 start to reset the machine.
; Increment the counter

So if I encounter this bug on my ESP.Ra.De pcb, will a simple reboot (meaning turn off & turn on from a "cold boot" on a supergun or candy cab setup) return it back to factory defaults?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Came across this interesting tidbit concerning a bug crash that can occur with an ESP.Ra.De pcb setup on Mike's github page in regards to the free play patch:

; KIND OF GROSS HACK ALERT
; There is a bug that is extremely hard to reproduce. Only twice I
; have hit start, gotten through character select, the transition
; animation begins, and... the screen stays covered in the transition
; squares indefinitely. The BGM is still of the how to play / char
; select screen, so for some reason the transition to state $5 is
; not made. This is a soft watchdog to ensure that the character
; select screen is stuck for too long. This is for if the game is run
; in a semi-public setting.
;
; This hack is in the wait for vblank routine as the same mechanism is
; used to allow you to hold P1 & P2 start to reset the machine.
; Increment the counter

So if I encounter this bug on my ESP.Ra.De pcb, will a simple reboot (meaning turn off & turn on from a "cold boot" on a supergun or candy cab setup) return it back to factory defaults?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


It won't return it to defaults, but there's no need. It is only a single runtime error, it's not one that would become systemic. That is what the reboot safeguard is there for. After having made a few other changes, I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze, which I only saw twice out of probably over one hundred tests. If it does happen to you, the worst thing that happens is that the board will reboot on its own and you will have to hit start again. It only happens at the start of a game; there's zero risk of the board being stuck in some undesirable configuration.

In other words, that little nasty hack is there to automatically deal with the potential problem. You shouldn't have to do anything out of your way to deal with it.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 1875
Location: Maryland, USA
Pardon my ignorance on this hardware, but are the altered ROMs socketed or soldered in? This sounds like a great thing to have but I'm a bit leery of doing irreversible alterations to my board...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1383
Location: Vienna, VA
They're socketed

StarCreator wrote:
Pardon my ignorance on this hardware, but are the altered ROMs socketed or soldered in? This sounds like a great thing to have but I'm a bit leery of doing irreversible alterations to my board...
_________________
Suck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 1291
Location: Sweeedeeeen.
Are there any 90's boards with soldered prog.roms?
_________________
-destroying Jantelagen since 1990-
Got my first piece of ass smokin blunts with hash~
Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
They're socketed, I just tested this on hardware last night and it went great.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 1875
Location: Maryland, USA
Thanks!

Are they pdip or plcc form factor? I'm away from home this week and I'm trying to get this chip order together with a friend's before I get back, lol

zakk, do you need more chips while I'm at it?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1902
Location: Norway
StarCreator wrote:
Thanks!

Are they pdip or plcc form factor? I'm away from home this week and I'm trying to get this chip order together with a friend's before I get back, lol


http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Es ... rdware.htm
_________________
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
Just two 27C040 EPROMs in DIP32 form factor will do it. Those stupid stickers with the logo are valuable so get some replacement ROMs if you can.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 1875
Location: Maryland, USA
As it turns out my board is missing the foil stickers. Hope that means it's not a conversion, but apparently I have pretty bad luck with that sort of thing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESP Ra. De. free play patch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 560
Location: San Jose, CA
The only thing it could be converted from is another region of ESP Ra.De. so it really doesn't matter.

I'd like to port this patch to the J version, or even better, make a combination of the J and W versions.
_________________
Making Gimmick! exAct * Mix
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group