Aka To Blue: Type S

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: Aka To Blue: Type S

Post by Despatche »

The Switch is a great platform for giving exceptional mobile games real controls, or giving older games on the 3DS or Vita a second life. Imagine a collection of the CAVE mobile games.

Even a crappy d-pad or analog-for-digital is better than nothing at all. Most people are gonna get or already have a Pro Controller anyway.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

NeoStrayCat wrote:@Goompa:
Well, no one had mentioned it thoroughly, but the image looks real as it can be, I mean, there's even visible thumb/fingerprints on the bottom left of that image/switch.

I mean, you'd expect your switch to be free of dirt, dust and marks/prints, right?
The battery info in the image is what I find suspect (switch battery info is in a different font and not usually on that part of the screen). Not to mention that most Switch ports don't have a swipe prompt.
ryu

Post by ryu »

BrianC wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:@Goompa:
Well, no one had mentioned it thoroughly, but the image looks real as it can be, I mean, there's even visible thumb/fingerprints on the bottom left of that image/switch.

I mean, you'd expect your switch to be free of dirt, dust and marks/prints, right?
The battery info in the image is what I find suspect (switch battery info is in a different font and not usually on that part of the screen). Not to mention that most Switch ports don't have a swipe prompt.
It's likely a very early build that's just an as straight as can be port of the mobile game. the battery info may not even be functional and always show 100%.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Not sure if it needs a new thread but Aka To Blue: Type R will be released to arcades.

"changes include traditional controls, 4:3 screen ratio & stage/system adjustments, increased bg/model details, restoration of content cut from the original release & more"

http://jp.ign.com/aka-to-blue-type-r/20975/news/type-r

I'm guessing a lot of these changes will also come to the Switch version.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

What a bizarre page, it stops loading halfway.

Anyway impressed they'd manage to bring a shmup both to console and the arcades in 2018, I thought they said something like it's too expensive and they had no plans, whatever.
Either those guys are desperate to eat or they were really very frustrated when Cave quit the shmups business.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Or the mobile version had to be really (relatively) successful.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

But they could have stopped after the console port, I mean who believes older games genres other than maybe vs. fighting can still make a little bit of money in the arcades ? It's a dying business model.

EDIT: maybe they'll only make a handful of 'pcbs' to show off in a select few arcades accross japan and that'll be it. more for promotion/image than actual business.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Why would they make PCBs when Nesica live exists?
Xyga wrote:But they could have stopped after the console port, I mean who believes older games genres other than maybe vs. fighting can still make a little bit of money in the arcades ? It's a dying business model.

EDIT: maybe they'll only make a handful of 'pcbs' to show off in a select few arcades accross japan and that'll be it. more for promotion/image than actual business.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I just wrote 'pcbs' because not sure which hardware they'd use, I don't exactly follow what's going on inside Japanese arcades anymore nor live there (well there's Shou's irritating grails memes but even that gets tedious). Anyway whatever the hardware isn't what bugs me, just that IMHO it'd make more sense to port the game to other platforms like PS4 or Steam, I can't help but see an arcade port today as a promotion item to validate the arcade identity of their game, not a thing that'll actually generate any substential profit.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Nesica is basically a PC in a cab with digital distribution of games. It's the most likely candidate for an arcade platform for this release. So hopefully that leads to a Steam port eventually. I guess they could go crazy and produce custom hardware or just use a TypeX, but that seems unwise.
GSK

Post by GSK »

The console port was a mock-up and is not 100% guaranteed to happen, so don't waste your time scrutinizing those images.
Xyga wrote:But they could have stopped after the console port, I mean who believes older games genres other than maybe vs. fighting can still make a little bit of money in the arcades ? It's a dying business model.

I agree, the arcade version is probably just going to be a PC-in-a-cabinet setup that's made purely to promote and test the console port, and not something that's meant to genuinely make them (Tanoshimasu) money. I suppose it could run on Nesica 2 if Taito's desperate for single-player games but I honestly think that ship has sailed.

The owner of Mikado has been heavily involved with the promotion and production of this game, so it may very well turn out that they're the only place that even gets the arcade version.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Still fingers crossed for a console port though!

EDIT: PS4 plz Tanoshimasu ><
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Xyga wrote:I just wrote 'pcbs' because not sure which hardware they'd use, I don't exactly follow what's going on inside Japanese arcades anymore nor live there (well there's Shou's irritating grails memes but even that gets tedious). Anyway whatever the hardware isn't what bugs me, just that IMHO it'd make more sense to port the game to other platforms like PS4 or Steam, I can't help but see an arcade port today as a promotion item to validate the arcade identity of their game, not a thing that'll actually generate any substential profit.
I’ll announce more soon...stay tuned on Wednesday, true believers.
become history
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Hehe I sure sounded acid, sorry I'm a can't handle tease /zero patience type. ^^

(btw any news on that lost parcel?)
Shou

Post by Shou »

GSK wrote:The console port was a mock-up and is not 100% guaranteed to happen, so don't waste your time scrutinizing those images.

I agree, the arcade version is probably just going to be a PC-in-a-cabinet setup that's made purely to promote and test the console port, and not something that's meant to genuinely make them (Tanoshimasu) money. I suppose it could run on Nesica 2 if Taito's desperate for single-player games but I honestly think that ship has sailed.

The owner of Mikado has been heavily involved with the promotion and production of this game, so it may very well turn out that they're the only place that even gets the arcade version.
No
become history
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Durandal wrote:Or the mobile version had to be really (relatively) successful.
I have barely played the game but bought it on release. This news make me happy because I think I somehow contributed to this port happening. :)
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So is the Switch port not actually happening? All I'm hearing about is the arcade version which is supposedly a global release on new hardware: https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/9 ... 4681335809

I guess the "Type-S" meant Type Second and that arcade port was the only announcement? I'd love a Switch version because I got one recently.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
trap15

Post by trap15 »

They are doing the arcade port (Type-R) at higher priority than the switch version (Type-S).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
extend

Post by extend »

And, naturally, the "exa" arcade platform isn't really.. transparent about what hardware it contains. The website is a nice case of "go away, our paper flyers are enough" :)
KAI

Post by KAI »

OMFG FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler
ImageImage
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I find it a bit weird that they're resizing the arcade version to 4:3 considering its 16:9 on phones already and is perfectly fine there, and its not like there's a shortage of 16:9 cabinets with rotatable screens

would be kinda neat imo for at least one true 9:16 arcade shmup but eh
zak

Post by zak »

Instant buy for me if it's 480p 4:3.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Despatche wrote:The Switch is a great platform for giving exceptional mobile games real controls, or giving older games on the 3DS or Vita a second life. Imagine a collection of the CAVE mobile games.
What if CAVE decided to port those shmups to Nintendo Switch. I would be surprised if Espgaluda II will be ported.

Still, I imagine that in a similar way.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This will be the first major arcade danmaku pcb conversion kit released since Cave's DDP-SDOJ conversion pcb kit sold back in 2012 -- the real question is how much will it cost and what'll be included in a typical Aka to Blue Type R conversion kit? Best news in regarding a brand new bonafide arcade danmaku pcb release for the 2018 year indeed (and we only had to wait a mere six years for another arcade danmaku pcb release -- it's about damn time & certainly worth the wait).

And will it be a true low-res 15.7kHz pcb or a high-res 31kHz Aka to Blue Type R pcb deal? Yes, inquiring minds would like to know.

Which leads to another important pressing question that begs to be asked: Will it be presented in mono or stereo format (for better audio fidelity, of course)?

I wouldn't be surprised if the initial MSRP is around $2,300-$2,400 USD or thereabouts (making for some very deep pockets to afford one nevertheless) -- hmmm. Alas, the rich kids with deep pockets will definitely be getting one on day one of release (despite making a big dent on the ol' wallet or purse for that matter).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: And will it be a true low-res 15.7kHz pcb or a high-res 31kHz Aka to Blue Type R pcb deal? Yes, inquiring minds would like to know.
Given the resolution requirements of the platform it runs on, isnt this basically answered already?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

why the hell do people want low res in 2018 lmao
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

How many do you think have 31khz/tri-sync monitors in their cabs, or even an lcd cab ? this isn't a fighting games community.

For an arcade release of course most would prefer 15kh/low res. There's downscalers alright but they're few and can be a pain.
Shou

Post by Shou »

Xyga wrote:How many do you think have 31khz/tri-sync monitors in their cabs, or even an lcd cab ? this isn't a fighting games community.

For an arcade release of course most would prefer 15kh/low res. There's downscalers alright but they're few and can be a pain.
We performed an operator and collector survey on this - the vast majority have LCD cabs as an operator in Japan and China or have VGA capable cabs in non-Asia locations. In fact, if it didn't work in HD, most refused to buy. Collectors are generally using scalers on modern displays or have cabs that are compatible.

Aka & Blue was made for HD, scaling it down to 15kHz would mean that you wouldn't be able to see much of the detail of the game and it would have to be totally abandoned for HD meaning very few units would be sold in Japan which is why SDOJ failed (being 15kHz and JAMMA only).
become history
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sorry Shou I was only speaking with westerners in mind, there are pratically no arcades left here and arcade hobbyists massively own cabs with 15khz monitors (Astros and alike)
Those who own 31khz tubes and LCD cabs are the vs fighting focused one, and almost exclusively them.
This is really the status of westerner's home cabinet equipment.

Personally I sure don't mind using LCDs and scalers, that's actually a huge part of my personal interest in the hobby, I love the old-to-new new-to-old hardware challenge and already invested time and money in it, and I don't own a cab only a supergun that I can use with anything crt or lcd because I'm well-equipped in processors and displays (more than average)

But no doubt those who aren't like me and insist on playing on their 15khz cab will be in trouble for a time if they don't already own a downscaler, the good and affordable Ultracade has long gone EOL and the alternatives are a mix of so-so quality, expensive and seriously hard to find.
Again arcade enthusiats who aren't fighting-focused or arent's over-equipped to the point they'd have multiple cabs including a 31khz one, will have no choice but to play directly on a lcd tv or monitor outside of their arcade 'furniture'.

I also know well that downscaling isn't the best solution for games designed in hd resolution, but the cab alternatives (replace the crt with a 27" lcd, or buy a genuine lcd cab) are either a pain or horribly expensive (seems lcd cabs here are made of gold and gems)

I don't know which 'collectors' you've talked with, generally those who deserve the name and still deal in pcbs are loaded and a somewhat happy few who own several cabs of various types in most cases, IMHO if you wanted a broader and more detailed view of the greater western arcade hobbyist community's personal equipment you should have run public survey polls in several arcades communities over here.

Don't see my remark as a dramatization though, I'm only underlining a matter of technical convenience, I doubt it will affect your business at all, after all people who are set on spending money on pcbs will defnitely adapt their equipment even if their means are limited, they will be too happy to see real arcades stuff back in action anyway.
Mrhide

Post by Mrhide »

Well this is interesting and now I want to play the game!

from http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... ber=373395

ShouTime has created a new arcade company with a new game platform called exa arcadia. They just announced the first 2 games on twitter coming out this year.

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia

The original Aka To Blue game came out for mobile and has gotten extreme praise. The company that made it (Tanoshimasu) has some programmers who used to work for Cave. You can get it for ios and android:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aka-to- ... 67241?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... blue&hl=en

You can get the original Super Hydorah game on PC / Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/628800/Super_Hydorah/