Ketsui on PS4 / M2 - This weekend in Japan

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
djsheep

Ketsui on PS4 / M2 - This weekend in Japan

Post by djsheep »

http://m2stg.com/ketsui/

Looks like there's a demo / "location test" for the PS4 port of Ketsui (M2 Shot Triggers) happening at Taito's MEGARAGE arcade in Japan tomorrow (Saturday). Anyone going?

https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/940845177324924928
https://twitter.com/mahouotome_info/sta ... 1482113025
GSK

Re: Ketsui on PS4 / M2 - This weekend in Japan

Post by GSK »

They're purely showing off arcade mode, in case people were hanging out to see the new features.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Keep pumping them out M2! I didn't think we would have a peek at Ketsui this year.
I have bought every release and have enjoyed them immensely.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

God bless M2!

Really wish the ShotTrigger series ported to PC.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I think they'll avoid PC because Windows is shit (see the Cave+Degica issues), I'd rather see all the PS4 ports land on the Switch.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
SMC

Post by SMC »

That was more an issue of cave being shit
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

SMC wrote:cave being shit
See, shmupmen? It's THE thing cool fuccbois say nowadays.
This is what happens when we only let a handful of dicks be the opinion leaders of a genre community.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

the scores don't even fucking upload to the correct leaderboards, sometimes they also fail to override the current replay you have there so you download a replay of a completely different run than what the leaderboard shows you
it happened in mushi and it happened a year later in dfk and a year later they didn't fix it anywhere even after reporting it to them
should also mention the weird bug with hibachi not spawning on arrange A that took them over half a year to fix
it's not just "slowdown is not 100% accurate", it's shitty glitches all over the place they never bothered to fix
and they charge $30 for it while half of the modes have entirely missing slowdown, replays desync without exception and leaderboards are useless due to half of the scores not even being from the correct mode
if that's not shit, you have some very weird standards
sdoj on 360 was also complete shite and that wasn't even windows
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Then that's "the cave ports on Steam are shit" and "some 360 ports have issues"

not

"Cave is shit"

Are you fucking teenagers ?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

CAVE was responsible for those ports though, and other than smartphone games if you care about those it's all they're known to have released in years. Do you really need it spelled out every time someone says "cave is shit" or can you just infer the meaning of the meme like everybody else?

Shouldn't you be specifying exactly what's shit about Windows? Plenty of games have run perfectly fine on Windows, without all the issues the CAVE ports suffer from.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

And DOJ/Xbox 360 was on Tachyon/5pb.Games (2009 (trying to run "appropriated" Arika PS2 code) - of later Bullet Soul (Infinite Burst) fame) - by the time they got to Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (2010- Xbox 360; 2013 PS3) they had cleaned up their act.
Shepardus wrote:Shouldn't you be specifying exactly what's shit about Windows?
Absolute absence of hardware configuration control making the platform's performance characteristics completely unpredictable.
Shepardus wrote:Plenty of games have run perfectly fine on Windows, without all the issues the CAVE ports suffer from.
Usually because they
  • A) were "designed" for PC to begin with
  • B) without any commitment to consistent behaviour and performance across all possible hardware configurations
  • C) unless they have AAA-level resources that can waste oodles of time to make it work on a good percentage of hardware (and that doesn't always work out either)
  • D) unless the game is so low spec and has no timing requirements ...
Though in the case the CAVE Steam ports I suspect that programmer skill/experience/competence was an issue - though getting "arcade level timing" right on non-standardized PC hardware is notoriously difficult.
Last edited by HydrogLox on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Here's what's playing on the cabs at the event today :)

Source: https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/941566162587959296
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shepardus wrote:CAVE was responsible for those ports though, and other than smartphone games if you care about those it's all they're known to have released in years
Again: So what? After SDOJ they've allocated their actual shmups dev team to mobage shit, the Steam ports were almost certainly handled by nobodies not into stg design and by the reposts of Degica they've been struggling because of windows yes.

But we're talking specific PC ports here, there's been original pcbs and some actually good-enough console ports before that, do the bad ports make Cave as a shmups dev historically all shit and worth being called shit over and over on shmups-dedicated community who knows fucking better?
Have all the bad ports in the history of video games earned the devs to have their name dragged through the mud? If yes Oh God they're all shit then period.
Shepardus wrote:can you just infer the meaning of the meme like everybody else?
No and fuck the meme culture.
Shepardus wrote:Shouldn't you be specifying exactly what's shit about Windows? Plenty of games have run perfectly fine on Windows, without all the issues the CAVE ports suffer from.
Read up there + personally I've had severe frame hiccups in Mushi with 8.1, reported but they didn't budge, had to switch to 7 in the end to get it smooth like the 360's.
Should have gone for the refund instead but I was too late, and I own the latter anyway.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

djsheep wrote:Here's what's playing on the cabs at the event today :)
I noticed that as well. I hope it's a sign of things to come :D
STG

Post by STG »

djsheep wrote:Here's what's playing on the cabs at the event today :)

Source: https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/941566162587959296
Nice, that looks like the Matsuri version of Deathsmiles if I'm not mistaken? Curious if Ibara is a special as well, not too sure what other versions of that exist besides Kuro...
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Xyga wrote:After SDOJ they've allocated their actual shmups dev team to mobage shit
too bad that sdoj was a total mess as well that they've never cleaned up in the arcades and then took an additional shit on it on the 360
they chucked probably half of the budget into big time voice actors but couldn't be arsed to realize that their scoring system that revolves around cancels has exactly 1 cancel in 3 stages out of 5
not to mention the overflow, even 1st time doujin devs know to add a few extra digits instead of hoping nothing goes wrong (and they don't have to recall every single pcb in case something does go wrong)
Xyga wrote: Have all the bad ports in the history of video games earned the devs to have their name dragged through the mud? If yes Oh God they're all shit then period.
well I guess capcom and konami are great companies then and you can't say shit about them
if you output nothing but garbage for 5 years straight then you deserve to be called shit
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Clearly bugs that ruin games for you don't have this ruining effect on other people or else why is this bugged pcb the most expensive resale of 2012?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Bananamatic wrote:too bad that sdoj was a total mess as well that they've never cleaned up in the arcades and then took an additional shit on it on the 360
Really on your death bed your last words will be your 10,000th time cursing Cave for sdoj.
Bananamatic wrote:if you output nothing but garbage for 5 years straight then you deserve to be called shit
If banana says it's shit is it really shit? or is banana full of shit? now I'm finally convinced it's #2
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Clearly bugs that ruin games for you don't have this ruining effect on other people or else why is this bugged pcb the most expensive resale of 2012?
lmao if you think anyone actually buys the pcb for $6k to play it and not for selling it to the next sucker for more
gonna laugh even more if you think anyone who bought the pcb for that much plays it for score and understands the issues with it
nothing here but collectors and people who want to only rub their dicks against overpriced underpowered hardware (cave released pcbs, that's good regardless of how good the game is!), then I understand why you think there is no issue with it because all pcbs are equally fine for that
I've seen more people play this one exclusively for survival than any other game and the 360 leaderboards are equally dead compared to other port leaderboards, most likely because the scoring is absolutely screwed and they've even admitted they got complaints from players in an interview
post how much score you got and how well you understand it to know if the game is fine or not because it isn't and plenty of people who played it agree
people here literally defending a game they barely or never played and sure as hell don't understand
Muchi Muchi Spork

You don't know the first thing about people, you only know how to call yourself the greatest and then throw shit on people who think differently or spend their spare time and money differently. Yes people who pay thousands of dollars for the pcbs play them, you're just talking smack. If they don't have your level of understanding of the backbone of the game or strive for score as much as you, that doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that it gets you pissed off. I guess if they spend a bunch of money on something and then you feel they don't appreciate enough it pisses you off. That's your problem. Of course people play it for survival because it's nearly the hardest Cave clear to get and also some people don't like chaining. And of course people are going to try and point out things they don't like about a game to a company who has set the bar so high that they can't even see it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Cave is shit, lets pray to the God of Shit
Spoiler
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Are the Cave Steam ports really that bad now? I know there were tons of issues on release but I've played all 3 of them within the last few months and at least from my shittty play level they aren't that bad. I did have some replay desync issues with I think it was Mushi.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Hmmm; so M2 is porting and releasing a Cave game, right ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I'd rather have a small shitpost than a wall of bullshit that leads nowhere, that i know.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Xyga wrote:Cave is shit, lets pray to the God of Shit
you mean the god of anime piss
Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Of course people play it for survival because it's nearly the hardest Cave clear to get and also some people don't like chaining.
except the chaining in sdoj is so easy that it's not even chaining, the entire chaining gauge is pointless because it takes 3 years to empty, especially in hyper mode
and scoring in sdoj involves not scoring in stage 1, 2, 3 (only at WR level and only on expert) or 4, if you attempt to score these stages you actually lose score in the long run
and stage 5 has so many enemies that it's hard to actually drop the chain in the first place without getting hit, I never had to come up with an strategies to connect chains, it happens automatically if you hold down the fire button
you would know if you played the game instead of rubbing your cock against the cheap ass hardware
Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Yes people who pay thousands of dollars for the pcbs play them, you're just talking smack. If they don't have your level of understanding of the backbone of the game or strive for score as much as you, that doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that it gets you pissed off. I guess if they spend a bunch of money on something and then you feel they don't appreciate enough it pisses you off. That's your problem.
come on man
you're spending $6000 on hardware that:
1) is probably way worse than what phones have these days
2) can barely run the single game it contains and the devs had issues even fitting it in the memory and had to scrap several ideas due to that reason
3) is extremely bare bones with only one mode, no leaderboards, no options, nothing
4) has absolutely garbage sound because cave is cheap as fuck and no one expects you to hear anything in an arcade
5) still has input lag
6) you're not even supporting the devs by buying it, only the pants on head retarded collector market
if you think that is worth $6000 you're probably a millionaire, huffing your own shit or planning to sell it for 7k

funny since no one would say anything if I uploaded a video of me taking a dump on a touhou game but god forbid you insult the PCB gods cave
arcade otaku are just as bad as those anime weeaboos, except worshipping shitty hardware is even less understandable than worshipping drawn characters
same shit as the "retro" fetishism and price gouging
sadly most people aren't really interested in playing the games, just jacking off to the fact they're retro
Sad!
Muchi Muchi Spork

Chaining just isn't everyone's favorite scoring method and that chaps your ass? Even just dodging is more fun with cave patterns. Thanks for your input, and welcome to the real world where people disagree with some of your views. I wish it was real nice having you with us.
Bananamatic wrote: come on man
you're spending $6000 on hardware that:
1) is probably way worse than what phones have these days
2) can barely run the single game it contains and the devs had issues even fitting it in the memory and had to scrap several ideas due to that reason
3) is extremely bare bones with only one mode, no leaderboards, no options, nothing
4) has absolutely garbage sound because cave is cheap as fuck and no one expects you to hear anything in an arcade
5) still has input lag
6) you're not even supporting the devs by buying it, only the pants on head retarded collector market
if you think that is worth $6000 you're probably a millionaire, huffing your own shit or planning to sell it for 7k

funny since no one would say anything if I uploaded a video of me taking a dump on a touhou game but god forbid you insult the PCB gods cave
arcade otaku are just as bad as those anime weeaboos, except worshipping shitty hardware is even less understandable than worshipping drawn characters
same shit as the "retro" fetishism and price gouging
sadly most people aren't really interested in playing the games, just jacking off to the fact they're retro
Sad!
Get a hold of yourself, and I'm not spending 6,000 on any game. And all those arguments are bad, it has never been about foremost using the latest PC hardware. There's no noticeable input lag on the cave boards (except Deathsmiles II). If you knew much about STG pcbs and wanted to make a rant about bad lag you'd be bitching about Bakraid instead.
SMC

Post by SMC »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:There's no noticeable input lag on the cave boards (except Deathsmiles II).
Well the top God mode player on this site says the exact opposite, that he has to adapt to the extra lag on PCB after practicing on the x360 port.

And he's right, SDOJ chaining can barely be considered chaining compared to earlier installments.
Muchi Muchi Spork

I hadn't heard that about the Futari Black Label port. I don't have experience with new lagless monitors. Yes I realize the SDOJ chaining was made easier.

Maybe you're talking about the lag when the boards go into the slowdown mode, if you're talking about god mode. Yes I've replied about them before, it feels correct despite the lag, to me. It's running a game at a fraction of the normal rate, feels normal to have controls slow down, to me.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Very confused about what's going on in this thread. Do people really not know that CAVE developed the PC ports? Did everyone forget CAVE trying to "patch" Mushi Steam or something? This is why focusing on publishers is fucking stupid, Degica has basically nothing to do with any part of the actual code.

Xyga is, as always, completely in the wrong and has no idea what he's talking about. I really don't understand why people respond to him.

Bananamatic is, as usual, caring way too much about the games he loves, and getting punished for it.

Muchi Muchi Spork is acting horribly misguided for no particular reason. He knows better than this.

Most of what BNM is saying is not opinion. Please don't treat this as a simple matter of opinion that you can "disagree" with, because it's not. CAVE has done, and continues to do, some really dumb things that they have no business doing. Their "casual" (labels are stupid) fans have supported, and continue to support, some really questionable things that they have no business supporting.

You ever notice how some of the same people defending CAVE like a cult are some of the same people who get angry at Degica like a village mob? Hey, what's with that?
pegboy wrote:Are the Cave Steam ports really that bad now? I know there were tons of issues on release but I've played all 3 of them within the last few months and at least from my shittty play level they aren't that bad. I did have some replay desync issues with I think it was Mushi.
They're not really that bad, no. "Some modes in some games don't work right" is the most anyone can really say, and even that is a result of the original games being kinda jank. If anything, some modes are just fundamentally broken from the start, like Mushi 1.5 and everything to do with it.

You ever notice how the people who actually take these games seriously are the ones who really don't like CAVE jank? But the people who really don't play these games defend jank at every corner? Hey, what's with that?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Muchi Muchi Spork

The most exhilarating video game experiences of my life have been on Cave boards including CV1000.

Yes Cave have done stupid business choices, they also made some of the best games of all time.

The arcade games don't resell for sky high prices for no reason. It's not a Vegas gambler in the corner spending 5K so he can sell it for 6K maybe a year later.